Just a few more thoughts, and I can't stop thinking about the game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Excellent first post. And I agree with all you said.

And I agree completely with Goff. I'm a Goff lover, and also a Goff hater. I'll praise when he's doing well and call him when he's doing bad. And would agree, he looks so timid and so unsure of himself. I truly believe the lack of a Deep Threat is really, really hurting this Offense. Defenses move to the LOS closer and closer with no fear of us going over the top, which then cripples Kupp/Woods.

Reynolds ain't it. And if McVay thinks Jefferson will be a real "star" for this Offense, then let him loose!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think back to the beginning of the season. I figured this team was not a Superbowl caliber team but a legit playoff contender. Maybe a mid seed who may or may not win a first round playoff game. Not a deep playoff run though. It is what I expected following last year and the offseason changes.

Then the defense gets much better. The offense not so much but good enough to win games. Pundits were calling them a legit Superbowl contender. I bought into it. Maybe this team is a little better than I thought.

Then we see the real stinkers. 49ers twice, Dolphins and Jets. So maybe this team is what I thought it was all along. Not a bad team. Not a great team. Just a decent playoff team who may or may not win a first round game. I can live with that. What choice do I have?

Tano

Legend
Not sure if anyone shared this already. Dan Orlovsky did a little breakdown.

This was a major issue with our defense yesterday. Where was the communication?

View: https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1341108736442687490?s=20

2 of those 3 plays I blame Young or Reeder for not communicating.

The last play was on Reeder - that was Ramseys guy and Reeder should have stayed in the middle

Is it coincidence Reeder was involved in the communication on all 3 plays. Is he the one calling the plays on defense - if so - he had a big fail on all 3 of those plays

I think the Jets spotted a weakness in our defense and determined that Reeder does not recognize the pass plays well enough.

Everyone played like shit but Reeder was the biggest weakness. He should only be in the game on 1st or 2nd down and should be out of the game on 3rd down and 3 or more to go.

We need Kiser for the playoffs for this team to get to the super bowl

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s a great first post. I think you are pretty spot on. You are an asset to the forum for sure.

Goff can thrive if given time to throw, and he’s durable. His accuracy isn’t always clicking, though. I hope he will improve with time, but that’s all up to him. I kinda wished we had picked up another good QB option in the off-season to push him.

As for our OL, we struggle against sound physical DLs. That is a fact. We need help here as others can attest.

Regarding the Jets, they were dissed by the 17.5 point spread given. Some Rams may have bought in as well. The NFL is no joke talent wise. Lesson learned hopefully.

I think a better Rams team shows up against the Seahawks. Fingers crossed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Id like to see McSnead go out and find a guy to upgrade at center in free agency. Something needs to be done soon because Blythe isn't gonna cut it. He's decent but he struggles too much against bigger and better DL. Maybe the answer is on the roster but we need to get someone in there that's better and stronger than Blythe.

Id like to see us grab another RB in the draft since ours have been getting dinged up frequently. Also I'm ready to move on from Brown. If we can find someone in the later rounds thats a big power runner that has decent hands they can coach him up in the blocking area.

OLB is another area id like to draft since OBO and Lewis have struggled with injuries. That and Floyd will be gone. IlB too Kizer is ok but hes injured a lot and his contract is about up. Young is ok good and getting better each week. Reeder is a good backup. Id like to see us draft a run stopping ILB with side line to side line speed that tackles well.

Draft a fast WR that can stretch the field or a big body guy for the redzone or throwing into traffic.

But OL is most important right now. Fix that and everything else will improve imo.
This Rams team has 2 holes:

Oline - Blythe, Noteboom and Havenstein struggle in pass protection. Add Everett and Higbee to the mix and you have a very bad pass blocking squad.

ILB- we don’t have the talent to cover the short middle and the flats. The flats have been our Achilles heel all year. The middle has been covered up at times by batted passes and scheme help.

Ive been yelling for a good Center for the last two years,and some people want me to eat crow on our stellar Oline play

Tano

Legend
Ive been yelling for a good Center for the last two years,and some people want me to eat crow on our stellar Oline play
I have never said the OL is stellar this year. They have been okay except for Blythe. He is a middling backup center.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Is it coincidence Reeder was involved in the communication on all 3 plays. Is he the one calling the plays on defense - if so - he had a big fail on all 3 of those plays

John Johnson calls the defense.

Reeder’s mental mistakes.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Big Whit’s injury has destabilized and shuffled the Oline...pass blocking has been sub par.

whithout Big Whit, that is a young offensive line.

Tano

Legend
I wasn’t pointing a finger at you.
1608661071816.png

Couldn't help myself

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah.
High ankle sprain.
He’s good but so far pretty fragile.

thanks for posting. Yeah the good thing about Can Akers is his ceiling at 21. Sucks he got hurt because he was taking it to another level

Flint

Pro Bowler
High school nonsense.
You don’t see many old school headset throwin, spittle flyin, ass chewin coaches anymore. Part of it has to do with the athlete of today, ripping a guy a new one in front of the whole world isn’t going to be tolerated like it was in the past, and now everyone has a platform to share their unhappiness with all their followers. Times change, attitudes change, there was a time a coach could grab a jersey or a face mask to get his point across, those days are gone for the most part. There are fewer and fewer ditkas and more McVay’s.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Just watched McVays press conference from tonight - on the 3rd and 4th down calls he said something along the lines of "we had man coverage...we need to be able to progress there and make those plays" - stopped just short of throwing Goff under the bus but sure felt like that's who he was talking about.
It would be nice if 50/50 balls came down in our receivers hands. Go get the ball. Not one of goffs receivers go up for the ball. Everret was there the ball was there and the shorter player made the play. The pass was just a hair short. Go get the fucking ball.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I'm starting to think that McVay is just a little too passive and lacking passion.
I would love to see him get pissed off, yell at a player, throw a clipboard or slam his headset to the ground just once.

But if he couldn't do it watching that turkey yesterday unfold before his eyes I don't know if he has it in them.

Raise some hell and motivate the players and see if you can get some adrenaline in their system for once.
I was so mad I was hoping he would pull out anybody and bench them to send a message. Lol. Not gonna happen.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
High school nonsense.
How so?

The head coach is the leader of the entire team and if he can't get fired up and walks around passively it reflects on the entire team.

Coaches have the ability to fire up and adrenalize their team, I have seen it happen.

Intensity and acting like you care can actually be the difference between a win and a loss.
And please don't give me the old, "they're professionals blah blah blah" because everybody is different and some people respond to the coach showing some emotion like he cares.

You can see the players themselves, even veteran players, get very excited when they make a good play.

He was supposed to be like Jon Gruden but Jon Gruden can carry a team in a close game by firing people up.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You don’t see many old school headset throwin, spittle flyin, ass chewin coaches anymore. Part of it has to do with the athlete of today, ripping a guy a new one in front of the whole world isn’t going to be tolerated like it was in the past, and now everyone has a platform to share their unhappiness with all their followers. Times change, attitudes change, there was a time a coach could grab a jersey or a face mask to get his point across, those days are gone for the most part. There are fewer and fewer ditkas and more McVay’s.
True.
And I wasn't specifically saying I think he should take it out on one player, or two, or several but show some emotion.
It shows the players and the fans that you actually give a damn.

Even if it didn't work for this game.
At least give the fans the idea that you give a crap.

TexasRam

Legend
It would be nice if 50/50 balls came down in our receivers hands. Go get the ball. Not one of goffs receivers go up for the ball. Everret was there the ball was there and the shorter player made the play. The pass was just a hair short. Go get the fucking ball.
Agreed. Watching Hopkins go up and take balls from two defenders while our guys don’t even fight for a ball in the air is maddening. Not to mention the drops with no one near.