Just a few more thoughts, and I can't stop thinking about the game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sweetness

UDFA
Ok, long-time lurker, first-time poster, so be gentle. Like most of you, I can't stop thinking about the stupid Jets game. After re-watching the game a couple of times today (thank God for shortcuts), I had a few observations and wanted to see what you all thought. In no particular order:

1. The tone was set on our first defensive play, unfortunately. Quick pass to TE Herndon, and a handful of Rams lazily slow him down, but nobody ever wraps him up and actually tackle him. Combined with our previous 3 and out on the first drive, both sides of the ball revealed their mindset. Momentum is a funny thing in life and in sports, and this Rams team NEEDS to start strong or they just don't seem to get out of their funk.

2. The amount of help and attention our safeties had to give to Reeder was unreal, especially JJ3. While Reeder made a couple of nice plays in coverage, he was outmatched on so many occasions it was crazy to watch. I have to think this affected their ability to take care of core assignments, which might have led to some of the issues on the last play to Gore (who knows). I know he isn't a starter for a reason, but after multiple viewings of the game, it was terribly apparent how much others had to subsidize his play.

3. Off-tackle runs were routinely getting great yardage, but we just wouldn't fully commit to the run. The same couldn't be said for running up the middle (issues with interior linemen for sure). In addition, a few untimely penalties really, really hurt our commitment to the run. Cam lost 50+ yards on 3 penalties plus the go-ahead TD and a critical 1st down. Staggering numbers combined with such critical situations were KILLER.

4. I hate to even write this, as he was/is my favorite player, but I was surprised to see Donald "quit" on a few plays when Darnold was scrambling. He still played great and is the best thing we have going, but seeing him not hustle after the QB on at least two chases was disappointing.

5. I am not a Goff lover or hater...just trying to be a realist. What really has me troubled this year (more than others) is his lack of accuracy and placement. Yes, his ability to handle pressure and read a defense is well-documented, but some really easy throws are in the dirt, at receiver's feet, or generally off-target. I'm talking about even without pressure. He appears to be overthinking everything and afraid to make a mistake, and at this point, I'd like to see McVay take the gloves off and open things up a bit. I think we might be better off making the mistake or two per game being aggressive vs managing risk so heavily and still getting the mistakes. He isn't having any fun, and it shows on his face and, I believe, in his play. If we don't have any confidence in his play then...

6. So...few..."chunk"...plays. That was the word of 2018...I know a lot has changed with the team, but we don't even seem to be making the effort. Defenses have adjusted to the game plan and our lack of a true deep-threat receiver is a glaring issue, but watching this offense grind is really hard to stomach. Maybe we miss John Sullivan and Rodger Saffold more than I initially imagined, but what do you all think?

7. No "game changers". There is parity in the NFL, and I try to remember that every player in uniform earned their spot by being a really great player at some level. No turnovers created, an "almost" play on the punt return, and no breakaway offensive plays. With so many good players across the league and such a high level of parity, I believe most games come down to 3-5 really key plays. The Jets made them and we didn't, plain and simple. No turnovers created, untimely penalties, and bad decisions on key downs kept us from gaining any momentum. Remember, teams that win the turnover battle win the game just under 80% of the time historically (I like those odds).

8. Looking forward to the offseason, I believe we need to focus on 4 key positions to dramatically improve our team (C, ILB, WR, and OLB, in that order). We need a beefy, strong, nasty center...was hoping Brian Allen would be it, but no dice. Kiser is fine, but we need to find a playmaker in this spot and he isn't it. Finally, on the WR front, I am talking specifically someone who can stretch the field (realizing now this is where we really miss Cooks). In terms of OLB, I would keep Lewis and Hollins and otherwise start over. All of this being said, I believe that means we will need to let a few key players walk: JJ3 (left with Fuller, Burgess, Rapp), Floyd (see Dante Fowler), Reynolds (not the deep-threat guy) and Everett (Higbee gets featured and let's see what Hopkins can do).

At the end of the day, I am glad we have a winning team, a generally good coach and front office, and a football team to actually care about this far into the season (look at my avatar to remember the dark days my friends). Let's go take care of business the next two weeks and secure that hugely important momentum heading into the post-season.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great first post. Agree with just about everything. Points on Goff are spot on IMO.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice first post, Sweetness. I disagree with everything, but...

No seriously... lots of good information in there, especially the 50 yards gained by Aikers AND the go-ahead touchdown. That WAS killer. The team just didn't have it yesterday, and nothing went their way. Ehhh... last week we were going to the Super Bowl, and this week we are the laughing stock of the NFL. Oh well, that is why they play the game. Beat Seattle next week, this game will be forgotten, and we'll be going to the super bowl again. At least for a short while. lol

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ok, long-time lurker, first-time poster, so be gentle. Like most of you, I can't stop thinking about the stupid Jets game. After re-watching the game a couple of times today (thank God for shortcuts), I had a few observations and wanted to see what you all thought. In no particular order:

1. The tone was set on our first defensive play, unfortunately. Quick pass to TE Herndon, and a handful of Rams lazily slow him down, but nobody ever wraps him up and actually tackle him. Combined with our previous 3 and out on the first drive, both sides of the ball revealed their mindset. Momentum is a funny thing in life and in sports, and this Rams team NEEDS to start strong or they just don't seem to get out of their funk.

2. The amount of help and attention our safeties had to give to Reeder was unreal, especially JJ3. While Reeder made a couple of nice plays in coverage, he was outmatched on so many occasions it was crazy to watch. I have to think this affected their ability to take care of core assignments, which might have led to some of the issues on the last play to Gore (who knows). I know he isn't a starter for a reason, but after multiple viewings of the game, it was terribly apparent how much others had to subsidize his play.

3. Off-tackle runs were routinely getting great yardage, but we just wouldn't fully commit to the run. The same couldn't be said for running up the middle (issues with interior linemen for sure). In addition, a few untimely penalties really, really hurt our commitment to the run. Cam lost 50+ yards on 3 penalties plus the go-ahead TD and a critical 1st down. Staggering numbers combined with such critical situations were KILLER.

4. I hate to even write this, as he was/is my favorite player, but I was surprised to see Donald "quit" on a few plays when Darnold was scrambling. He still played great and is the best thing we have going, but seeing him not hustle after the QB on at least two chases was disappointing.

5. I am not a Goff lover or hater...just trying to be a realist. What really has me troubled this year (more than others) is his lack of accuracy and placement. Yes, his ability to handle pressure and read a defense is well-documented, but some really easy throws are in the dirt, at receiver's feet, or generally off-target. I'm talking about even without pressure. He appears to be overthinking everything and afraid to make a mistake, and at this point, I'd like to see McVay take the gloves off and open things up a bit. I think we might be better off making the mistake or two per game being aggressive vs managing risk so heavily and still getting the mistakes. He isn't having any fun, and it shows on his face and, I believe, in his play. If we don't have any confidence in his play then...

6. So...few..."chunk"...plays. That was the word of 2018...I know a lot has changed with the team, but we don't even seem to be making the effort. Defenses have adjusted to the game plan and our lack of a true deep-threat receiver is a glaring issue, but watching this offense grind is really hard to stomach. Maybe we miss John Sullivan and Rodger Saffold more than I initially imagined, but what do you all think?

7. No "game changers". There is parity in the NFL, and I try to remember that every player in uniform earned their spot by being a really great player at some level. No turnovers created, an "almost" play on the punt return, and no breakaway offensive plays. With so many good players across the league and such a high level of parity, I believe most games come down to 3-5 really key plays. The Jets made them and we didn't, plain and simple. No turnovers created, untimely penalties, and bad decisions on key downs kept us from gaining any momentum. Remember, teams that win the turnover battle win the game just under 80% of the time historically (I like those odds).

8. Looking forward to the offseason, I believe we need to focus on 4 key positions to dramatically improve our team (C, ILB, WR, and OLB, in that order). We need a beefy, strong, nasty center...was hoping Brian Allen would be it, but no dice. Kiser is fine, but we need to find a playmaker in this spot and he isn't it. Finally, on the WR front, I am talking specifically someone who can stretch the field (realizing now this is where we really miss Cooks). In terms of OLB, I would keep Lewis and Hollins and otherwise start over. All of this being said, I believe that means we will need to let a few key players walk: JJ3 (left with Fuller, Burgess, Rapp), Floyd (see Dante Fowler), Reynolds (not the deep-threat guy) and Everett (Higbee gets featured and let's see what Hopkins can do).

At the end of the day, I am glad we have a winning team, a generally good coach and front office, and a football team to actually care about this far into the season (look at my avatar to remember the dark days my friends). Let's go take care of business the next two weeks and secure that hugely important momentum heading into the post-season.

Great stuff @Sweetness

Dude, keep the posts coming!

Flint

Pro Bowler
Everyone likes to point the finger at Goff but I don’t know if that’s the whole story. What is the difference between the team that led the league in scoring in ‘18 and this team that struggles to get to 20? It seems like they are about to break out then they lay an egg, special teams breakdowns, penalties, something just seems off.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Id like to see McSnead go out and find a guy to upgrade at center in free agency. Something needs to be done soon because Blythe isn't gonna cut it. He's decent but he struggles too much against bigger and better DL. Maybe the answer is on the roster but we need to get someone in there that's better and stronger than Blythe.

Id like to see us grab another RB in the draft since ours have been getting dinged up frequently. Also I'm ready to move on from Brown. If we can find someone in the later rounds thats a big power runner that has decent hands they can coach him up in the blocking area.

OLB is another area id like to draft since OBO and Lewis have struggled with injuries. That and Floyd will be gone. IlB too Kizer is ok but hes injured a lot and his contract is about up. Young is ok good and getting better each week. Reeder is a good backup. Id like to see us draft a run stopping ILB with side line to side line speed that tackles well.

Draft a fast WR that can stretch the field or a big body guy for the redzone or throwing into traffic.

But OL is most important right now. Fix that and everything else will improve imo.

dang

Legend
They were all definitely Goff's fault.

The d played like the rest of the team, like shit.

It’s not all Goff when the defense fails but we’ve seen way too many limp dick first half’s by the Rams offense this year. Goff is a big part of these slow starts. You can generally tell if Goff is clicking in the first drive. If he falls flat 3 and out you can bet he is probably going to have another bad first half.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s not all Goff when the defense fails but we’ve seen way too many limp dick first half’s by the Rams offense this year. Goff is a big part of these slow starts. You can generally tell if Goff is clicking in the first drive. If he falls flat 3 and out you can bet he is probably going to have another bad first half.

Like i said, the whole team played like shit.

TexasRam

Legend
This Rams team has 2 holes:

Oline - Blythe, Noteboom and Havenstein struggle in pass protection. Add Everett and Higbee to the mix and you have a very bad pass blocking squad.

ILB- we don’t have the talent to cover the short middle and the flats. The flats have been our Achilles heel all year. The middle has been covered up at times by batted passes and scheme help.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm starting to think that McVay is just a little too passive and lacking passion.
I would love to see him get pissed off, yell at a player, throw a clipboard or slam his headset to the ground just once.

But if he couldn't do it watching that turkey yesterday unfold before his eyes I don't know if he has it in them.

Raise some hell and motivate the players and see if you can get some adrenaline in their system for once.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just watched McVays press conference from tonight - on the 3rd and 4th down calls he said something along the lines of "we had man coverage...we need to be able to progress there and make those plays" - stopped just short of throwing Goff under the bus but sure felt like that's who he was talking about.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great post! Thanks!
Game on the line..........3rd & 4 and a pass to Cam that was horrible. 4th & 4 and the incomplete pass to Ev.
The 2018 Rams would have gotten those 4 yards in their sleep. I can't believe the inability to make 4 yards or the 2 plays called.
I would have loved to have seen Cam Akers pass the ball to Goff on a Philly Special, anything but what was called.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay's lack of faith in the passing game runs deep this season. Goes back to last season too. Situations where he does not trust the offense and will call a safe play on third and long and punt it away. He can say what he wants about his OL and QB publicly but those 6 men factor in as a group in that decision making by the coach.

And yes the pass catchers factor in too. But what keeps you from calling a pass play for fear of being sacked out of FG range or forcing a turnover is lack of faith in the pass pro and the QB.

It's going to be interesting to see how far we can get with this group. Because they've been fucking up as a group all season long. Guys confused pre-play and lining up wrong. Dumb penalties on key downs/distances. Inconsistent ability to execute. It's no surprise the HC is happy to punt it away when they get behind the chains. He has every reason to not trust this offense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Great post! Thanks!
Game on the line..........3rd & 4 and a pass to Cam that was horrible. 4th & 4 and the incomplete pass to Ev.
The 2018 Rams would have gotten those 4 yards in their sleep. I can't believe the inability to make 4 yards or the 2 plays called.
I would have loved to have seen Cam Akers pass the ball to Goff on a Philly Special, anything but what was called.

looks like Cam Akers is & was hurt ? Heard tonight on MNF will miss The Rams next game !

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
Just watched McVays press conference from tonight - on the 3rd and 4th down calls he said something along the lines of "we had man coverage...we need to be able to progress there and make those plays" - stopped just short of throwing Goff under the bus but sure felt like that's who he was talking about.

If you have man coverage in a short yardage situation, you run rub routes to get a nice timing throw. Not 3 verticals. McVay knows this.

When you have a mismatch in man coverage (vs a shorter and slower defender) the ball goes in the air. The QB is trusting the scouting that the DB will not be able to close the gap with the mismatched receiver. That did not happen on 4th down.

There's a better argument for the third down play. I don't like the decision to send Akers on a deep route vs having him leak out from protection. But they obviously saw something on tape they believed would result in a mismatch. I think there's a good argument to go with the second read because of the safety moving to cover Akers but Akers did create enough space to catch a ball. Just needed better placement.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
This Rams team has 2 holes:

Oline - Blythe, Noteboom and Havenstein struggle in pass protection. Add Everett and Higbee to the mix and you have a very bad pass blocking squad.

I’m with you here and I‘ll add that the RB’s are not great protectors

ILB- we don’t have the talent to cover the short middle and the flats. The flats have been our Achilles heel all year. The middle has been covered up at times by batted passes and scheme help.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I counted 6 big fails in that 4th quarter alone. Any one of these that the Rams achieve and it's a won or tied game. They were 0 out of the 6, surprisingly. The 2 holding penalties, the almost PR TD, the 2 stupid calls on 3rd &4, and Donald's whiff of a sack that he should've had on Darnold.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm starting to think that McVay is just a little too passive and lacking passion.
I would love to see him get pissed off, yell at a player, throw a clipboard or slam his headset to the ground just once.

But if he couldn't do it watching that turkey yesterday unfold before his eyes I don't know if he has it in them.

Raise some hell and motivate the players and see if you can get some adrenaline in their system for once.
High school nonsense.