Junior Seau commits suicide. So sad.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[flv]http://video-cdn.abcnews.com/120502_ann_seau_dead.mp4[/flv]

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Very sad.

It wasn't that long ago that he drove himself off of a cliff ,,, he said he feel asleep behind the wheel ... makes me wonder now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Selassie I said:
Very sad.

It wasn't that long ago that he drove himself off of a cliff ,,, he said he feel asleep behind the wheel ... makes me wonder now.

Yeah it does. What a shame, very sad he didn't get help for himself. Always sad to see a life cut short when it's avoidable.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Rest in peace, Mr. Seau. May you finally find the peace you deserve.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TK42-RAM said:
Extremely sad news - incredible player.
Yeah, it still hasn't fully set in with me. Dude's an icon in this league. I sincerely hope he didn't have post-concussion syndrome that led to clinical depression or something like that. Such a shame.

[nfl]09000d5d828d13c7[/nfl]

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Terrible. He did the same thing Duerson did, shot himself in the heart. I wonder if he did it so they could study his brain like Duerson was said to have done? Sad.

hd.

UDFA
Sad story. Only strengthens my thoughts that the NFL will be a completely different game in 10 or so years.

boondock

UDFA
Very sad story. May he RIP. He was always the anchor of my defenses in the old school Madden days.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah ,sad, but mostly for those he left behind . He is no longer feeling the pain that drove him to this but his family will live permanently with the horror.

I'm very HARD on people who take that way "out".

I saw his mother on TV shrieking in agony over the horror that she would be burying her son, his children will live with the "knowledge" that he didn't care enough about them to fight through whatever it was that was causing him pain and to be there for them as they faced the agonies of their lives.

I KNOW I'm not going to score a lot of "humanitarian brownie points" for this take,but there are more than enough people who will "god him up" over the next few days ,he doesn't need my admiration as if any of it can give him comfort.
There may be extenuating circumstances like the ones that were so pervasive to Dave Duerson and he may have KNOWN that he was going to become a burden in the future instead of an asset,that may all be true but I ask anyone reading this to consider THIS real life story.

I HAD a friend his father killed himself because he'd gotten himself upside down on some debts and chose to take that way out, his son my friend repeated his fathers footsteps , killed himself when his financial dealings turned south. SEE his dad had given his son permission BY HIS ACTIONS.

He was a hell of a player ,but I reserve MY compassion for the people he left to deal with the aftermath.
FEW THINGS have impact upon your life MORE than what your father does,you hear a lot, but you SEE MORE.

Whatever life deals you when you have kids you need to suck it up cuz you set parameters EVERY step you take, Junior set one with his last step. IMO more people need to be hard on him for this decision and not ennoble this ignoble act.
Sorry JMO that someone NEEDS to frame this act without PC filters, and see it in a way that generates disdain for the act emphatically NOT nobility.

Yes RIP Junior you took ALL the Peace with you.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
Yeah ,sad, but mostly for those he left behind . He is no longer feeling the pain that drove him to this but his family will live permanently with the horror.

I saw his mother on TV shrieking in agony over the horror that she would be burying her son, his children will live with the "knowledge" that he didn't care enough about them to fight through whatever it was that was causing him pain and to be there for them as they faced the agonies of their lives.

I KNOW I'm not going to score a lot of "humanitarian brownie points" for this take,but there are more than enough people who will "god him up" over the next few days ,he doesn't need my admiration as if any of it can give him comfort.
There may be extenuating circumstances like the ones that were so pervasive to Dave Duerson and he may have KNOWN that he was going to become a burden in the future instead of an asset,that may all be true but I ask anyone reading this to consider THIS real life story.

I HAD a friend his father killed himself because he'd gotten himself upside down on some debts and chose to take that way out, his son my friend repeated his fathers footsteps , killed himself when his financial dealings turned south. SEE his dad had given his son permission BY HIS ACTIONS.

He was a hell of a player ,but I reserve MY compassion for the people he left to deal with the aftermath.
FEW THINGS have impact upon your life MORE than what your father does,you hear a lot, but you SEE MORE.

Whatever life deals you when you have kids you need to suck it up cuz you set parameters EVERY step you take, Junior set one with his last step. IMO more people need to be hard on him for this decision and not ennoble this ignoble act.
Sorry JMO that someone NEEDS to frame this act without PC filters, and see it in a way that generates disdain for the act emphatically NOT nobility.

No, I agree with you to an extent. I wasn't going to lead with that take though. It wasn't the time to do that. First you have to mourn the memory, then you can break it down if you need to later. I mentioned initially that I hope he didn't have PCS that led to clinical depression. That's also a very serious disease that could have taken all of the rational thought right out of him. And the fact that he did it the way he did leads me to believe he wants someone to take a look at his brain.

Yes, it's a very selfish act that leaves a lot of pain in its wake. That said, it's a little early to say he was just being selfish. There could have been MANY things going on inside him that we're not aware of at this point in time. We may never really know. No rational human being does what he did. That includes leaving behind people that he knows are going to be extremely and adversely affected.

Anyway. I'm not going to be hard on him. What's the point? I have no idea what was going on inside his head, and judging strictly by the outcome, I don't WANT to know what was going on in his head. That's the kinda pain nobody wants to deal with.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:

No, I agree with you to an extent. I wasn't going to lead with that take though. It wasn't the time to do that. First you have to mourn the memory, then you can break it down if you need to later. I mentioned initially that I hope he didn't have PCS that led to clinical depression. That's also a very serious disease that could have taken all of the rational thought right out of him. And the fact that he did it the way he did leads me to believe he wants someone to take a look at his brain.

Yes, it's a very selfish act that leaves a lot of pain in its wake. That said, it's a little early to say he was just being selfish. There could have been MANY things going on inside him that we're not aware of at this point in time. We may never really know. No rational human being does what he did. That includes leaving behind people that he knows are going to be extremely and adversely affected.

Anyway. I'm not going to be hard on him. What's the point? I have no idea what was going on inside his head, and judging strictly by the outcome, I don't WANT to know what was going on in his head. That's the kinda pain nobody wants to deal with.

Well I don't disagree that it could be said this is not the time, but like I said, plenty of people to mourn him and two points.
First there is a reason the law says you can't defame the dead, because adulation nor disdain can effect him now.
And the other is an ultimate truth of life that "most men lead lives of quiet desperation" my heroes are the guys who stick around when life stinks.
Sure his death touches me, yes he became a tragic figure in the end and I do and did consider that he may have been demented from 30 years of head banging.
But the "moment" is NOW and I said what I did because IMO the greatest USE for Junior NOW is as an example of what NOT TO DO.
WE ALL consider what he did, we all consider offing ourselves I think if more people saw it the way I frame it , it would be less frequent, just do.

I respect the magnanimous things he did in life, and how hard he played but my pathetic protestations in that regard won't add to the world in near the measure taking a little heat and going against the grain can.

Parting shots: I posted this ON this board because the membership of this board is able to tolerate contrarian POV.

We need to learn from his death and in that vein my tribute to Junior is this
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrNFDxCRzU[/youtube]
You never know maybe ALL he needed to hear was what I just said and he'd have decided to HANG. JMO

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
But the "moment" is NOW and I said what I did because IMO the greatest USE for Junior NOW is as an example of what NOT TO DO.
Sure. I agree. But where do you start? Could someone have intervened earlier? What were the warning signs? Was he receptive to help? What caused his depression? Was it physical (brain damage) or more clinical resulting from everyday pressures that everyone else has to deal with? That's what we don't know right now.

I can say right now, being of sound mind and body, that I would never take that way out. Simply because of the everlasting pain it would cause my wife and children. Seau wasn't of sound mind, and I have my reservations about the soundness of his body too. Either way, it's a tragedy to someone. If he can be the catalyst for change, then great. It won't be in vain. But I don't think it's going to go down like that. He's not the first to check out, and he won't be the last.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Mike Irvin has a good grip on it, my respect for him grew whenI saw whathe had to say, something to the effect that some guys NEED the locker room,I think there is something to that ,mayeb THIS is OUR locker room ,anyway thatynks for the sounding board.

Rich

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
Mike Irvin has a good grip on it, my respect for him grew whenI saw whathe had to say, something to the effect that some guys NEED the locker room,I think there is something to that ,mayeb THIS is OUR locker room ,anyway thatynks for the sounding board.

Rich
No problem, man. It's good to have you around.

Mike Silver wrote an article on it today, and it's a good read. I'll post the part that pertains to what I'm talking about, but the whole article is pretty good.

This much, we know: Depression is not rational. One of its symptoms, in fact, is an irrational thought process that is overly negative and hopeless in nature pertaining to one's self and surroundings. It's usually exaggerated, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reality. For some sufferers, it's like going through life wearing a pair of tinted glasses that distort one's perception of reality in a ruinous manner.

In Seau's case, at first blush, there is some circumstantial evidence that points toward a possible connection to head trauma. It evokes comparisons to last year's suicide of former Chicago Bears safety Dave Duerson, who shot himself in the chest and left notes for family members asking that his brain be donated to science and studied. Researchers at Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University's School of Medicine later determined Duerson had "moderately advanced" brain damage and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative neurological condition associated with repeated concussions.

Seau, according to reports, shot himself in the chest. That would seem to suggest that he, too, at least considered the possibility that all of the celebrated head-knocking he'd engaged in 20 NFL seasons had caused changes to his brain worthy of posthumous exploration.

If it turns out Seau had CTE, it will provide a chilling jolt to the already tense landscape of 21st century football. As the game's guardians attempt to adapt on the fly and figure out a way to address this growing concern, having a player as accomplished and popular as Seau as a possible poster child for the evils of concussions only ratchets up the stakes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--junio ... pular.html

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Thordaddy said:

I don't understand why you think that anyone is saying that it was a good or noble thing to do. I don't believe that what Seau did was good or noble. But that doesn't mean that there should be no compassion for the man. He obviously thought that something was wrong with his mind; why else would he commit suicide the exact same way as Duerson?

If he was suffering from severe clinical depression - a side-effect of PCS - he wouldn't have been thinking about how far-reaching his actions were going to be. Depression doesn't work like that. It completely warps your reality and how you percieve outside actions. He was almost certainly not himself when he shot himself.

Yes, I do have more compassion for his mother, wife, and children, but that doesn't mean that none should be saved for Seau.

Just my opinion.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:

I believe you are applying rationality to an irrational disease... depression is not rational. Hence, I think its unfair to judge the situation on that basis. I realize that is not an easy ask, but I also think that leap is essential in order to understand those who suffer from depression's wrath.

On edit: I just saw that Mike Silver has addressed this in his article... I had missed that prior to submitting this post. Thx for posting those excerpts, X.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pretty emotional interview with Sean Salisbury about Junior Seau.

[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/05/05032012094822.mp3[/rp3]

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Re:

interference said:
Thordaddy said:

I believe you are applying rationality to an irrational disease... depression is not rational. Hence, I think its unfair to judge the situation on that basis. I realize that is not an easy ask, but I also think that leap is essential in order to understand those who suffer from depression's wrath.

On edit: I just saw that Mike Silver has addressed this in his article... I had missed that prior to submitting this post. Thx for posting those excerpts, X.
I have had a significant round with depression took the Minnesota Multiphasic, and other personality inventories, came back strongly suicidal ,was put on Elavil( that's an antidepressant from the 80's) ,took it ONE DAY and said "fuck this" I'm not going to spend my life dumbed out. I went to counselling for six months, and LEARNED why and how people become depressed got SO INTO IT I went back to school and got a degree in Psych. And yes depression centers around irrational thought patterns , but you won't concur depression by applying MORE irrational thought patterns ,you HAVE TO force yourself to question your every negative thought.
From ALL I've heard Junior fits the "laughing on the outside crying on the inside paradigm" .
Now I've said my peace on this subject and am more into discussing the possibilities that he was a multiple concussion sufferer,I won't however back away from the position that he had alternatives ,when you consider the thousands who have suffered numerous concussions and don't commit suicide I reject the proposition that he was powerless.