June 2nd Moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Staley was quoted a couple times last year, by broadcasters, as saying he viewed Leonard Floyd as one of the best Edge-players in the NFL. I don't think Floyd is a far superior pass-rusher to Fowler or Matthews. However, I thought he was far more effective on the edge overall.

(y)Yes... Floyd is an amazing fit in this defense.

Rush the passer, check. Play the pass, check. Play the run, check.

He’s a heady player too. He doesn’t make a lot of mistakes, penalties, etc.

:horns:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd like to see them add Poole. But if they think Burgess or whoever is up for it I'm sure things will work out. Staley really liked the extra tackling ability of Ramsey in the slot, so it makes sense to have an athletic safety type like Burgess handle it.

oldnotdead

Legend
It IS kind of confusing because fairly offen I'll see articles referring to a 3-4 OLB as a DE and a 3-4/ 3 tech, as an example, as a DE.

I think of all three down lineman in a 3-4 as defensive tackles or nose tackles.

In the last five or six years I see them referring to a 3-4 OLB as an EDGE more often as a way to differentiate, (I would guess).
You have every right to be confused. No one plays a pure scheme with their defense on even the majority of their snaps. DC's are constantly shifting guys around to gain an advantage. The line is completely blurred because AD is thought of as a DT but look how many times he's lined up outside? It's all about creating mismatches and confusion. The more versatile your players are the more that can be done with them.

There are many times Floyd has his hand in the dirt but doesn't commit to a full rush, and instead is playing like a true LB looking for the screen, swing pass, or rollout. Brockers himself was moved inside and outside, but he was always coming and the OL always knew it. People need to think of this defense more as a 4-3 one gap scheme being played with a lot of OLBs instead of DEs because that is what the hybrid scheme is all about. Staley was also big on playing a nickel and sometimes a dime because he had good depth at safety. Morris will have a lot of options with his secondary and I can see him using Fuller and Rapp who are really SS types as hybrid LBs.

I really can see the trend away from ILBs to that hybrid type, i.e. SS traits. Guys like Bobby Wagner really set the tone for that type of player. He's considered an ILB but at 6 ft tall weighing in around 240, but running in the 4.4 range he could also be a SS but with the Hawks he's their middle LB (MIKE). Teams are evolving towards a pass-first offensive mentality, which is highlighted by what teams now value in their QBs.

Back when Reeder was a rookie I mentioned him as a darkhorse contender for that MIKE position. Why? Because at 6'1", 235 lbs, running a 4.62 (faster than Fuller) he had the traits of another Wagner type of MIKE. He's still developing and given time he has considerable upsides in this scheme. Snead has made a real effort to increase team speed at all the skill positions. Jones is a clear departure from that and is due to Morris advocating for his pick. Jones would be a fit for MIKE in the hybrid scheme run by Wade Phillips which is a standard version of the 3-4 hybrid. In that version you want an early down thumper who helps keep the offense behind the chains then gets pulled on passing downs.

Staley's scheme is skewed towards a heavy emphasis on pass defense. His feelings looked to be to contain the run while you defend the pass. Let me be clear, I have no problem with Morris running a more conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme because when played correctly it's extremely effective. Baltimore runs a conventional hybrid scheme and their defense was right behind the Rams in the rankings. It's also, more effective at stopping as opposed to containing the run game.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You have every right to be confused. No one plays a pure scheme with their defense on even the majority of their snaps. DC's are constantly shifting guys around to gain an advantage. The line is completely blurred because AD is thought of as a DT but look how many times he's lined up outside? It's all about creating mismatches and confusion. The more versatile your players are the more that can be done with them.

There are many times Floyd has his hand in the dirt but doesn't commit to a full rush, and instead is playing like a true LB looking for the screen, swing pass, or rollout. Brockers himself was moved inside and outside, but he was always coming and the OL always knew it. People need to think of this defense more as a 4-3 one gap scheme being played with a lot of OLBs instead of DEs because that is what the hybrid scheme is all about. Staley was also big on playing a nickel and sometimes a dime because he had good depth at safety. Morris will have a lot of options with his secondary and I can see him using Fuller and Rapp who are really SS types as hybrid LBs.

I really can see the trend away from ILBs to that hybrid type, i.e. SS traits. Guys like Bobby Wagner really set the tone for that type of player. He's considered an ILB but at 6 ft tall weighing in around 240, but running in the 4.4 range he could also be a SS but with the Hawks he's their middle LB (MIKE). Teams are evolving towards a pass-first offensive mentality, which is highlighted by what teams now value in their QBs.

Back when Reeder was a rookie I mentioned him as a darkhorse contender for that MIKE position. Why? Because at 6'1", 235 lbs, running a 4.62 (faster than Fuller) he had the traits of another Wagner type of MIKE. He's still developing and given time he has considerable upsides in this scheme. Snead has made a real effort to increase team speed at all the skill positions. Jones is a clear departure from that and is due to Morris advocating for his pick. Jones would be a fit for MIKE in the hybrid scheme run by Wade Phillips which is a standard version of the 3-4 hybrid. In that version you want an early down thumper who helps keep the offense behind the chains then gets pulled on passing downs.

Staley's scheme is skewed towards a heavy emphasis on pass defense. His feelings looked to be to contain the run while you defend the pass. Let me be clear, I have no problem with Morris running a more conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme because when played correctly it's extremely effective. Baltimore runs a conventional hybrid scheme and their defense was right behind the Rams in the rankings. It's also, more effective at stopping as opposed to containing the run game.
I"m not that confused, personally.

It's very rare that ANY team ran a pure version of the 3-4.
Changes were always made depending on down and distance and hybrids always abound to confuse the offense.

I was actually trying to explain what you were talking about, but in a more simplified version.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My take is it's all semantics. Classify any defense any way you want but you'd only be so correct because every D is a hybrid anymore. From week to week, Down to Down, D's are changing their approach based on the opponents strengths and their own versatility. Everybody wants to be as versatile as possible to adapt on the fly. It's a violent Chess game. And I think we have some pretty stout pieces to move around. We'll have them bitches castling in the 1st qtr. Y'all getting excited yet? :alol:

Psycho_X

Legend
i like turtles GIF

Tano

Legend
A person who knows what a Herpetologist does impresses me ... and, for some reason, also disturbs me.
I cheated - I had to look up - person who studies turtles lol

Closest I could get was Herpetologist who studies reptiles

Tano

Legend
The fact you got a tortoise and turtle mixed up but know what a herpetologist is a mind phuck. Lol

Edit:just saw your other post. Mind is not penetrated anymore.
I had to look this up and I got a huge laugh from a person who works for the Encyclopedia Brittanica who posted this statement on the internet.

All tortoises are in fact turtles—that is, they belong to the order Testudines or Chelonia, reptiles having bodies encased in a bony shell—but not all turtles are tortoises. If tortoises are turtles, why not just call all turtlelike creatures “turtle”? Because if the animal you’re referring to is a tortoise, some wise guy is going to correct you every time.

I am still cracking up at that

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I had to look this up and I got a huge laugh from a person who works for the Encyclopedia Brittanica who posted this statement on the internet.

All tortoises are in fact turtles—that is, they belong to the order Testudines or Chelonia, reptiles having bodies encased in a bony shell—but not all turtles are tortoises. If tortoises are turtles, why not just call all turtlelike creatures “turtle”? Because if the animal you’re referring to is a tortoise, some wise guy is going to correct you every time.

Lol. My neighbor came out the other day carrying a gopher tortoise towards my house. He said he found this turtle and was gonna put it back in the water. Tortoises dont swim (the difference bw them), so I pretty much stopped him from drowning a tortoise and catching a felony.