JT: WR Bruce Ellington Visits Rams this Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1
W/South Carolina's Bruce Ellington at Rams this week (per @Rapsheet) he's 4th WR to make pre-draft visit also, (Watkins, Benjamin, Evans).

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Not sure I know what to make of all these WRs...I mean, Snead said we don't need any...and that was before Kenny Britt so he must really mean it now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He'd be a good backup for Tavon.

V3

Hall of Fame
Ellington may be a good prospect but we don't need any more WR's like him. He's very small(5'9"). He's not going to be a late pick, either, so I don't see him being a backup(you don't take backups that high).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ellington may be a good prospect but we don't need any more WR's like him. He's very small(5'9"). He's not going to be a late pick, either, so I don't see him being a backup(you don't take backups that high).
I agree, but someone is going to get a nice player IMO.

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree, but someone is going to get a nice player IMO.

I can't find too much video on him but from the little I did see, he looked good. I'm not arguing that the guy is going to be bad. I just don't want a WR corp comprised of midgets when we face a lot of huge DB's. Seems like a waste of a team visit to me.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can't find too much video on him but from the little I did see, he looked good. I'm not arguing that the guy is going to be bad. I just don't want a WR corp comprised of midgets when we face a lot of huge DB's. Seems like a waste of a team visit to me.
Big guys can't catch little guys! And what I'm talking about is depth, and I will go more into it. If you build a large portion of your offense around a single guy, then you better have a guy that can replace him if he goes down, plus he's a returner. which could take a little pressure off of Tavon. See Pats. Plus, he is still a viable gamebreaker anytime he's in the game.

It's interesting that we are looking at a pretty wide variety of guys, and you never know if there is info out there that we don't know, like a player may slip for this or that reason.

V3

Hall of Fame
Big guys can't catch little guys! And what I'm talking about is depth, and I will go more into it. If you build a large portion of your offense around a single guy, then you better have a guy that can replace him if he goes down, plus he's a returner. which could take a little pressure off of Tavon. See Pats. Plus, he is still a viable gamebreaker anytime he's in the game.

It's interesting that we are looking at a pretty wide variety of guys, and you never know if there is info out there that we don't know, like a player may slip for this or that reason.

You don't take a backup in the 3rd round. There are still starting caliber players in the 3rd round- especially in this draft and for this team. And big guys don't need to catch the little guys because they just maul them at the line(see Seattle). He also wasn't a home-run threat as a returner.

Bottom line: I'm not taking depth in the 3rd round. I'm not even doing it in the 4th for this draft. I'm tired of little WR's on this team. One is enough. We need a big WR. Quick isn't the answer and Cook has Jello hands. Either look for a big WR or don't even bother unless he's Watkins. We have too many holes at other positions.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You don't take a backup in the 3rd round. There are still starting caliber players in the 3rd round- especially in this draft and for this team. And big guys don't need to catch the little guys because they just maul them at the line(see Seattle). He also wasn't a home-run threat as a returner.

Bottom line: I'm not taking depth in the 3rd round. I'm not even doing it in the 4th for this draft. I'm tired of little WR's on this team. One is enough. We need a big WR. Quick isn't the answer and Cook has Jello hands. Either look for a big WR or don't even bother unless he's Watkins. We have too many holes at other positions.
BTW, I'd rather have a big guy myself, but I am just trying to figure out why they are looking at him, and just wanted to comment on him as a player, or what they may be thinking. I also agree that a starter could be had in the 3rd or 4th round in this draft, sometimes later, SEE Zac Stacy.

Alan

Legend
Just to add my own thoughts here, I think the third round is where you need to draft even a backup WR if you want to have any chance he'll be both a good back and an eventual starter. What kind of crap have we been drafting in the fourth round? Do you really think Gilyard is a good back up? :LOL:

Having said that, I don't want to draft a WR in the third round. I'd really like to see them try and get a really good OT to groom for the future cause we will probably lose one of our OTs if we draft Mathews or Robinson. Or a really good guard prospect.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just to add my own thoughts here, I think the third round is where you need to draft even a backup WR if you want to have any chance the'll be both a good back up but an eventual starter. What kind of crap have we been drafting in the fourth round? Do you really think Gilyard is a good back up? :LOL:

Having said that, I don't want to darft a WR in the third round. I'd really like to see them try and get a really good OT to groom for the future cause we will probably lose one of our OTs if we draft Mathews or Robinson. Or a really good guard prospect.
Me too.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Tavon was injured last year, he missed the Saints game and all the ones afterward. Though we obviously whipped the Saints and Bucs without him, the offense struggled against the Hawks. Now, I'd say we struggled mostly because we lost Jake Long, no longer had Rodger at guard, and the offense was more limited without Bradford. Still, if the West loads up on big CBs, who will be able to hang with the quickness of Ellington AND Austin? If the Cards want to put Honey Badger on either one, Bradford should find a way to hide his woody. Anyways, I prefer several others in the third but I guess I can understand their interest.

RFIP

I like him better as a change of pace RB myself, which he's done some of.

LOVE his cousin Andre Ellington, Cards got a keeper there.

I like him better as a change of pace RB myself, which he's done some of.

LOVE his cousin Andre Ellington, Cards got a keeper there.

The Bruce Ellington who's had 25 carries in his entire college career and 8 over the last 2 years?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Rams have been drafting backup WR's in the 3-4 rd's for years and ,they were expected to start.
Other than Bailey there's not much to show for it.
If they design the offense around Austin and he goes down we need a similar type skill set to replace him.

V3

Hall of Fame
Rams have been drafting backup WR's in the 3-4 rd's for years and ,they were expected to start.
Other than Bailey there's not much to show for it.
If they design the offense around Austin and he goes down we need a similar type skill set to replace him.
I'm not sure I share your optimism on Schotty being able to develop an offense around Austin. That being said, I doubt he could adapt his offense if he loses a key cog like most good OCs are able to do.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not all players brought in by NFL teams are due to an interest in them joining their team.