JT/Wagoner OTA Tweets: Britt Back--Saffold Works At LT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Jim Thomas @jthom1 ·

Jeff Fisher ended OTAs w/offensive and defensive linemen going at each other in punt catching competition. D-Line caught 5 punts, O-line, 2

. . .LB Ray Ray Armstrong, C Scott Wells, LT Jake Long (but he did some individual drills), DT Michael Brockers, DT William Hayes.

Those not practicing Thurs: WR Jamaine Sherman, S Christian Bryant, S Maurice Alexander (knee surgery), RB Chase Reynolds (sports hernia). .

QB Sam Bradford worked back-to-back practices for the first time during OTAs. Looked as sharp Thurs. as he has all spring.

WR Kenny Britt was back at practice after leaving late in Tuesday practice.

Daniels hadn't done "team" drills all offseason as he rehabbed from knee surgery.

CB Trumaine Johnson, S Matt Daniels, DT Kendall Langford back on the practice field Thurs. Johnson and Langford missed Tues.

Rodger Saffold worked at LT today in 11-on-11 drills, with Davin Joseph working with the starters at RG.

Some injured players will have to stay around for a bit to rehab injuries.

Rookies do have to stay tomorrow at Rams Park, and then head to the rookie symposium.

Fisher anticipates the only player who may be dicey for start of training camp is rookie S Christian Bryant, who's rehabbing college injury.

Rams off the practice field. OTAs are over for 2014. (Jeff Fisher cancels Friday's scheduled session.)

============

Nick Wagoner @nwagoner

Couple of nice plays from WR Stedman Bailey today, including a diving touchdown catch in 7 on 7s.

QB Sam Bradford got more work than usual in Thursday's practice. Says he feels good after participating in two practices this week.

A couple of O-line tweaks in Thursday practice: Saffold worked at LT with Davin Joseph at RG with the 1st team. Barrett Jones got work at C.

That's in addition to OT Jake Long, of course. Fisher has said expectation is for Long to be ready about midway through camp.

According to Jeff Fisher, only S Christian Bryant might not be ready to start training camp among those sitting out recently.

Safety Matt Daniels did return to practice Thursday after sitting out a few.

Not practicing Thurs.: WR Sherman, S Bryant, S Alexander, RB Reynolds, LB Armstrong, DE S. Brown, C Wells, OT Long, DT Brockers, DE Hayes.

WR Kenny Britt and CB Darren Woodard, both of whom left practice early Tuesday were back participating Thursday.

#Rams just finished their ninth and final OTA. Coach Jeff Fisher canceled Friday's session. Team will reconvene in July for training camp.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I love me some Barrett Jones. Get him more reps. Let him win the starting C position and we've got our OL set for the next several years at least.

2014 - Long-Robinson-Jones-Saffold-Barksdale
2015 - Robinson-Washington(?)-Jones-Saffold-Long
2016 - Robinson-Washington(?)-Jones-Saffold-Hooey?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Can't help but to think that this injury setback, and the infusion of talent at RB, are going the spell the end of Chase Reynolds stay in STL.

Last edited:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Hmm... I've been saying all along that having people like Hooey and Person working LT meant the Rams were sure Long would be back Week 1.

Maybe there's some doubt now with Saffold taking reps there.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I love me some Barrett Jones. Get him more reps. Let him win the starting C position and we've got our OL set for the next several years at least.

2014 - Long-Robinson-Jones-Saffold-Barksdale
2015 - Robinson-Washington(?)-Jones-Saffold-Long
2016 - Robinson-Washington(?)-Jones-Saffold-Hooey?

I know that Jones appears to be the heir apparent at Center, but IMO, they will be much better with Wells there for 16 games this year. If for no other reason to have his veteran presence lining up next to Robinson as he transitions both to a new position, but also to the NFL.

And you have a much higher opinion of Washington than I do, if you think he should even tentatively be considered for the LG spot moving forward. I will actually be surprised to see him survive THIS YEAR.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Hmm... I've been saying all along that having people like Hooey and Person working LT meant the Rams were sure Long would be back Week 1.

Maybe there's some doubt now with Saffold taking reps there.

I wouldn't read too much into one practice. If anything, it might be more of an indication how much they like what Joseph brings to the table.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I know that Jones appears to be the heir apparent at Center, but IMO, they will be much better with Wells there for 16 games this year. If for no other reason to have his veteran presence lining up next to Robinson as he transitions both to a new position, but also to the NFL.

And you have a much higher opinion of Washington than I do, if you think he should even tentatively be considered for the LG spot moving forward. I will actually be surprised to see him survive THIS YEAR.
Barrett Jones is my mancrush, although you may be right that a healthy Wells would be better for the team in 2014.
Washington remains, to me, a high-ceiling enigma. They've kept him through a decent period of time, so I believe they see something projectable in him.

Side question, what's your take on Rhaney? Has he gotten many reps with the 2's in OTAs that you've seen or heard? If they think he could be a starter at some point (big 'if', I know) that may kick Jones to LG in 2015.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I dont know if jones will be ready to start this year especially if he has to make all the line calls, but who knows hes a smart hard working dude.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Barrett Jones is my mancrush, although you may be right that a healthy Wells would be better for the team in 2014.
Washington remains, to me, a high-ceiling enigma. They've kept him through a decent period of time, so I believe they see something projectable in him.

Side question, what's your take on Rhaney? Has he gotten many reps with the 2's in OTAs that you've seen or heard? If they think he could be a starter at some point (big 'if', I know) that may kick Jones to LG in 2015.

I get what you are saying that they kept Washington around, but considering what they had in prior years, he was most likely the "Best" of a very mediocre group of depth guys. With the addition of Joseph, and the commitment to Saffold at G, I think his days might be numbered. From what i have seen of him, last year especially, he looks like he is standing in quicksand compared to many of the other linemen out there.

With Jones, Barnes, and apparently Person all getting reps at Guard, again, i say Washington's days might be numbered.

As far as Rhaney, he has PS written all over him. He looks to be fairly athletic for his size, but again, finding even 2nd unit reps with Barnes and Jones ahead of him are tough to come by.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I get what you are saying that they kept Washington around, but considering what they had in prior years, he was most likely the "Best" of a very mediocre group of depth guys. With the addition of Joseph, and the commitment to Saffold at G, I think his days might be numbered. From what i have seen of him, last year especially, he looks like he is standing in quicksand compared to many of the other linemen out there.

With Jones, Barnes, and apparently Person all getting reps at Guard, again, i say Washington's days might be numbered.

As far as Rhaney, he has PS written all over him. He looks to be fairly athletic for his size, but again, finding even 2nd unit reps with Barnes and Jones ahead of him are tough to come by.
What about the pickup from Carolina? .... name escapes me...

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

If Washington is gone, so be it. I wouldn't cut him in favor of Joseph if they think he has an NFL future, just because of age, but I don't disagree with your take.

How is Person looking at guard? He's a little older than Washington and 20 lbs lighter, so I'm not sure he brings anything particularly projectable.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What about the pickup from Carolina? .... name escapes me...

Travis Bond, and he was taking snaps at LT with the "twos" the day i was there. I will say this, he is one very LARGE human being. I think he may push Person for the 10th spot, assuming they keep 10 O-Linemen.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Travis Bond, and he was taking snaps at LT with the "twos" the day i was there. I will say this, he is one very LARGE human being. I think he may push Person for the 10th spot, assuming they keep 10 O-Linemen.
Thanks Coach

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If Washington is gone, so be it. I wouldn't cut him in favor of Joseph if they think he has an NFL future, just because of age, but I don't disagree with your take.

How is Person looking at guard? He's a little older than Washington and 20 lbs lighter, so I'm not sure he brings anything particularly projectable.

Its so hard to evaluate the linemen in these practices. About all I can do is see who is lining up where, and with which group. But that they are taking a look at him at both Guard and Tackle tells me they see something.

As far as projectable "talent" on this unit, i think Fisher/Boudreau have shown that its a year in and year out proposition. Yes, they keep a core of young guys around to develop, but each and every year there is a fresh crop of them. As I said, someone like Washington has been kept around mainly due to the fact they were so thin. Those days are gone. I think they will keep the best 10 on the active roster, and keep guys like Van Dyk, Rhaney and whoever they feel offers the best option on the PS. (Person/Hooey)

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Coach, while I agree w your assessment about Wells and Jones from an immediate decision this year, I tend to believe Jones will supplant Wells THIS season:

A) Wells is unlikely to stay healthy all year.
B) While Wells is elite as a pass protector, he's at best marginal in the run game.
C) The Rams will be a run first team.
D) Jones is the future and has all the qualities (save experience) Wells has (intelligence/technique), but where Wells is maxed out physically, Jones is gaining in power and potential.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach, while I agree w your assessment about Wells and Jones from an immediate decision this year, I tend to believe Jones will supplant Wells THIS season:

A) Wells is unlikely to stay healthy all year.
B) While Wells is elite as a pass protector, he's at best marginal in the run game.
C) The Rams will be a run first team.
D) Jones is the future and has all the qualities (save experience) Wells has (intelligence/technique), but where Wells is maxed out physically, Jones is gaining in power and potential.

I will agree with Wells needing to stay healthy, but don't agree that they will be better served with just handing the reigns over to Jones. And don't make the mistake of discounting Barnes. If I had to guess, he is presently ahead of Jones on the depth chart.