JT Tweets: Davis Threw to Wrong Spot on Final Play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why can you not blame him.

Throw to the post or hold it for the wheel route. He has happy feet. Good ones read it pre snap. and can climb within the pocket. He does not at this point do this.

Why can I not blame him? Because he got pummeled today. And, yet again, he had a free rusher bearing down on him. It's easy to say from the couch that he should hold onto it for that split second longer, take the hit, and deliver the throw. But when you've been pounded on relentlessly during the game due to the OL's incompetence, it has an effect on you. We've seen it with Brady, Manning, and every single other QB in the NFL's history.

Happy feet? No, he doesn't. He rushed some throws today but then again, I'd rush throws too if I got stripped twice and got hit relentlessly due to the OL's incompetence.

The fact that he came back and did what he did in the 2nd half after the beating he took says enough to me. Especially considering he made two throws over that 4 down period that should have gone for the first.

Am I pissed we lost? Yes. Am I pissed at Davis? No. He was the least of our problems today. He wasn't perfect but he played a darn good game considering the circumstances.(although I did lose my temper when he slid short of the first down)

Finally, "good ones" don't climb in the pocket when there's an unblocked blitzer coming at you. That does no good. Your options are 1) get rid of it, 2) take a sack, or 3) try to scramble away from the blitzer.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why can I not blame him? Because he got pummeled today. And, yet again, he had a free rusher bearing down on him. It's easy to say from the couch that he should hold onto it for that split second longer, take the hit, and deliver the throw. But when you've been pounded on relentlessly during the game due to the OL's incompetence, it has an effect on you. We've seen it with Brady, Manning, and every single other QB in the NFL's history.

Happy feet? No, he doesn't. He rushed some throws today but then again, I'd rush throws too if I got stripped twice and got hit relentlessly due to the OL's incompetence.

The fact that he came back and did what he did in the 2nd half after the beating he took says enough to me. Especially considering he made two throws over that 4 down period that should have gone for the first.

Am I pissed we lost? Yes. Am I pissed at Davis? No. He was the least of our problems today. He wasn't perfect but he played a darn good game considering the circumstances.(although I did lose my temper when he slid short of the first down)
Never understood the "Happy feet" thing. Peyton Manning has some of the happiest feet ive ever seen.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Did you notice when they pulled Mcloed down on Jordan Matthews and he knocked the ball down with excellent man on coverage? Maybe Joyner and Mcloed need to flip respective positions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never understood the "Happy feet" thing. Peyton Manning has some of the happiest feet ive ever seen.

Most people don't know what happy feet means when criticizing a QB. You want your QB's feet to remain active. You don't want your QB flat-footed in the pocket. Keeping his feet moving makes it easier and quicker for him to transition into his throwing motion as well as take hitch steps when climbing the pocket. The criticism with a guy that has "happy feet" is that he doesn't set his feet in order to get the ball out quicker because he's feeling phantom pressure. Guys with this issue usually chop their feet quickly...which is why it's called happy feet. You're right, Manning does chop his feet quickly...but he's not a guy that deals with the pressure issue.

Neither is Austin Davis. Although there were a couple times today when he seemed to feel pressure that wasn't there. But that happens to all QBs when their OL isn't blocking effectively.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you notice when they pulled Mcloed down on Jordan Matthews and he knocked the ball down with excellent man on coverage? Maybe Joyner and Mcloed need to flip respective positions.

They definitely need to. McLeod is a better slot CB than he is a FS and, imo, Joyner is a better FS than he is a slot CB.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most people don't know what happy feet means when criticizing a QB. You want your QB's feet to remain active. You don't want your QB flat-footed in the pocket. Keeping his feet moving makes it easier and quicker for him to transition into his throwing motion as well as take hitch steps when climbing the pocket. The criticism with a guy that has "happy feet" is that he doesn't set his feet in order to get the ball out quicker because he's feeling phantom pressure. Guys with this issue usually chop their feet quickly...which is why it's called happy feet. You're right, Manning does chop his feet quickly...but he's not a guy that deals with the pressure issue.

Neither is Austin Davis. Although there were a couple times today when he seemed to feel pressure that wasn't there. But that happens to all QBs when their OL isn't blocking effectively.
Thanks for that explanation, I can admit I was one of those who didnt fully understand what "happy feet" meant until now.

I also find it funny that the 2 best QB's of the last decade are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the "Happy feet" debate

For one as you mentioned, Peyton chops his feet quickly just like you wouldnt want him to do (in theory). And Brady stands flat footed just like you wouldnt want him to do (in theory).

Not sure what that means but i find it ironic.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Guess what? The offensive line didn't give Davis much time to throw on that play, or any of the other plays throughout the day. Putting blame on one person is just dumb.

Davis once again played fine. A few young mistakes but he also kept us in the game.

Agree, just wanna add...

-Davis nearly had 400 yards passing, no picks, and three TD's (107 PRT).Give me that every week.

-If Pettis catches either one of those balls, we don't have a 4th down.

-Team loss all around, all three phases played great and terrible at different times.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

Love your definition. Just disagree with your conclusion/
But his happy feet led him to several phantom blitzes. Especicially whe they stack the middle. Not saying he will not get better... but right know he is not a good reader. If the play does not scheme some one open or he does not throw a 50/50 to one of our big WR.. he does not read, react and throw.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
But his happy feet led him to several phantom blitzes. Especicially whe they stack the middle. Not saying he will not get better... but right know he is not a good reader. If the play does not scheme some one open or he does not throw a 50/50 to one of our big WR.. he does not read, react and throw.

There was very real pressure in his face all game long that was coming unblocked...particularly down the middle from the center/right guard position. He also got nailed from the sides. Of course he's going to feel phantom blitzes. Who wouldn't?

As for reading the field and reacting...well, he did just that on the first Quick touchdown. Nobody was open, there was pressure in his face, turned around, slung it to a wide-open Quick. Things broke down and Davis made something out of nothing.

The only way I could be prouder of Davis is if he led us to a comeback, and he damn near did just that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There were very few times today where Davis did not read, react, and throw. There were only a couple plays where I felt that he sensed phantom pressure. And oddly enough, one of them resulted in the first TD to Quick.

dhaab

Rookie
Fisher said next time Rams player gets a stupid penaltym such as Ray Ray Armstrong's unnecessary roughness call, he's sending them off field

I do like that.

Geez, it only took Fisher 3 years to start getting tough on the knuckleheads who keep making dumb penalties.

iced

saw a lot of drops today - Pettis and Cook in particular... that's the biggest difference from this game to the last one (offensively)

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
#SacklessCity.

Everything I know is wrong, so nobody should really be listening to me about anything. But...

The Rams should be living off of a dominating and deep DL that controls opposing run and terrorizes QBs. Williams should have only made this better with aggressive schemes and accountability. Tired of debating who should be moved where to save the team or who should have been picked in the draft. This team (and in particular the D, I'm looking at you Brockers and Quinn) needs to find their balls and play like men.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Mannings "happy feet" IMO are for timing mostly ,I used to critique it but I've come to see it as part of why he's as hard to sack as he is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannings "happy feet" IMO are for timing mostly ,I used to critique it but I've come to see it as part of why he's as hard to sack as he is.

Well, yes. It's for a quicker setup for him.

AZRamsFan93

#SacklessCity.

Everything I know is wrong, so nobody should really be listening to me about anything. But...

The Rams should be living off of a dominating and deep DL that controls opposing run and terrorizes QBs. Williams should have only made this better with aggressive schemes and accountability. Tired of debating who should be moved where to save the team or who should have been picked in the draft. This team (and in particular the D, I'm looking at you Brockers and Quinn) needs to find their balls and play like men.
While there is always blame to go around, it seems to me 28 points should be enough to win. I have no issues with the offense overall.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
And, yet again, he had a free rusher bearing down on him. It's easy to say from the couch that he should hold onto it for that split second longer, take the hit, and deliver the throw. But when you've been pounded on relentlessly during the game due to the OL's incompetence, it has an effect on you.

It happened so many times that I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't by design? Maybe take the blitzer assuming you'll have a man running free or the back picks it up. I was just reluctant to assume the o-line was playing so badly.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
While there is always blame to go around, it seems to me 28 points should be enough to win. I have no issues with the offense overall.

No issue with: Quick, Davis, Cunningham, Saffold, Barksdale, Long (ignoring his paycheck amd one very costly matador block)... others. But Scott Wells and Davin Joseph are just KILLING me!! 3 Pettis dropped passes (from memory), WTF?!? I have an issue with schemes that are letting Davis get hit play after play. He won't survive long. taking the hits he's taking. Stupid self-inflected false start and illegal formation penalties, inexcusable. Botched snaps, QB not expecting the snap, that crazy half snap Wells did last week.... dumbfounding.

Our reality is that if we're expecting heroic body-sacrificing efforts from Davis to make up for our deficiencies on D, we're in trouble.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It seemed to me that Davis was throwing the wheel route to Cook but threw too early because of the free blitzer. Probably could have held it for another split second or so. But can't blame him. OL was turning loose blitzers all day long.
It did seem like we are allowing a free blitzer on just about every play...all day long.