JT Tweets: Davis Threw to Wrong Spot on Final Play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Our reality is that if we're expecting heroic body-sacrificing efforts from Davis to make up for our deficiencies on D, we're in trouble.

I think the defense played better than the offense. Of the 34 points, 21 were because of special teams (7) and offensive turnovers/short field (14). Additionallly they stopped the Eagles every time they needed a big stop except for the late touchdown in the first half. Offensive was really bad in the first half between Davis throwing high passes all over the place and OL having problems with their NT and DE.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I think he's too slow, not quick enough, and gets pushed around too much to play slot CB. I don't really see most of his issues being due to the mental side(though there was a big one today). It's the physical side.

You've never seen him play before the first few games of his rookie season then.

Joyner has all the skills to be a good slot guy in the NFL. That includes speed, quickness, and physicality.

He's a rookie. He's going to make some mistakes. He'll learn from them and get better because of them.

The lack of patience some people have for rookie football players is maddening.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
While there is always blame to go around, it seems to me 28 points should be enough to win. I have no issues with the offense overall.
We do seem though ... to call some pretty odd plays at certain D&D's and field position scenarios .... Like yesterday ... inside the 10 and they call some sort of Fly Sweep/Reverse or something ... I am not a big fan of those kind of plays that far into the RZ. They just take too long to develop ...and i think we even tried running it to the short side of the field .. Seems like every week have a few play calls that seem like we are trying to out smart everybody. Including ourselves.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Pettis blames himself for two drops on closing drive. At least he stood up and answered questions afterwards.

On the Rams' last offensive play of game, Brian Quick was running right play _ a post route. Davis didn't throw to right spot.

Jeff Fisher says Zac Stacy wasn't pulled from game after fumble that set up last Philly TD; Stacy suffered calf injury on that play.

Fisher said next time Rams player gets a stupid penaltym such as Ray Ray Armstrong's unnecessary roughness call, he's sending them off field

Nickel back Lamarcus Joyner apparently misread formation on coverage bust that led to last Philly TD (to Jeremy Maclin).

Rams are off to a 1-3 start for the second year in a row.

In case you were wondering, Rams still have only one sack this season. Foles threw 37 times; was not sacked. #LackCity.

First off Ray Ray doesn't see the field anyway so puylling him is meaningless. These are empty words anyway, he isn't going to pull a star player for a bone headed play.

You could tell by the reaction that Davis knew he missed the throw.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
But can't blame him. OL was turning loose blitzers all day long.
Agreed Jrry, Even if it was a mistake by AD he is going From third string to starting and really just beginning to get adequate time on the field to build chemistry with the receivers and make real game speed reads. He is going to make some mistakes and I expect that it is reality and a necessary part of player development. his numbers are quite good better than any QB since you know who.

V3

Hall of Fame
You've never seen him play before the first few games of his rookie season then.

Joyner has all the skills to be a good slot guy in the NFL. That includes speed, quickness, and physicality.

He's a rookie. He's going to make some mistakes. He'll learn from them and get better because of them.

This has nothing to do with patience. It's what I saw before the Rams even drafted him. I watched his college tape before the draft and right after the Rams drafted him. Wasn't impressed with him as CB(posted it at the time). Then I looked at his combine numbers and they confirmed what I thought I was seeing. Add in what I've been seeing in pre-season and the first 4 games and it's even more of what I thought I saw in him. He's just not a good CB, IMO. He's much better suited to be a FS. It's not like Mcleod is lighting it up back there. The only reason I see for keeping Joyner at slot CB for now is the injury to Tru. Once he's back, I don't want to see him in the slot but I have a feeling Fisher won't move him.

As far as his big mistake yesterday, I'm not really concerned about that. It was mental and if there's one thing I'm not worried about with Joyner, it's the mental side. What concerns me are the plays where he's routinely about 4-5 feet behind the WR he's covering, he gets out jumped, he's relatively easily juked because he lacks quickness, and then after the play you see him get pushed around because he's so small. He can put on a good hit if he can build up some speed and he's willing to hit but that isn't what I'm talking about. Perfect example yesterday was when he got dragged an extra, what, 7 yards or so after his guy caught the ball. I just don't see him ever being the type of slot CB that teams need in today's NFL. I do think he could be good enough at FS, though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perfect example yesterday was when he got dragged an extra, what, 7 yards or so after his guy caught the ball. I just don't see him ever being the type of slot CB that teams need in today's NFL. I do think he could be good enough at FS, though.

He got dragged? He got a stiff arm to the facemask. Most guys are going to struggle to make the tackle when that happens.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Ditto. x1000.

I'm far less upset about whatever mistakes Joyner made in his 3rd professional game than those made by veterans who should know better.

Joyner will be a player for us. A good one.

V3

Hall of Fame
He got dragged? He got a stiff arm to the facemask. Most guys are going to struggle to make the tackle when that happens.
It wasn't a facemask. It was to the side of his helmet that came well after the catch because Joyner was so far behind. Joyner was "pushed" out of the way for a much longer period than it takes most CB's to make a tackle.

If you want to nitpick stuff like that, then have at it. My initial point is that his size is limiting and he doesn't have the speed or quickness to make up for it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It wasn't a facemask. It was to the side of his helmet that came well after the catch because Joyner was so far behind. Joyner was "pushed" out of the way for a much longer period than it takes most CB's to make a tackle.

If you want to nitpick stuff like that, then have at it. My initial point is that his size is limiting and he doesn't have the speed or quickness to make up for it.

And I disagree with all your assertions. Okay, the stiff arm was to the side of the helmet. That doesn't change a thing. He picked up those extra yards because of a stiff arm. I've seen many WRs use stiff arms...it is very difficult to tackle a WR when he performs a successful stiff arm...unless you possess equal or greater size. Jordan Matthews is 6'3" 215...there aren't many CBs in the NFL with equal or greater size. Joyner stuck on him and forced him out of bounds despite getting a stiff arm to the helmet. He did not get dragged for 7 yards. In fact, he rarely ever gets dragged. He wraps up, drives through the tackle, and does an excellent job of standing bigger players up. He's done it numerous times this year.

As far as Joyner being so far behind. He was 1-2 yards behind Matthews on a quick in pattern as a slot CB. And he couldn't press at the LOS because they bunched the TE and Matthews and the Rams had McDonald press the TE. Which left Joyner playing 5 yards off on 3rd and 3. What did Joyner do? He set himself up to take away the outside throw in order to force Matthews to run a short route over the middle...when we had a blitz coming up the middle. Which is what he was supposed to do. By forcing it over the middle, it raises the odds that one of our blitzers or DLs can bat the ball down. Joyner closed on the route and was 1-2 yards behind at most when the ball was caught. He then fought through a stiff arm in order to force Matthews out of bounds. As a slot CB, not much you can do to defend a well run quick in route when there's no help in the middle and you're playing off man coverage on 3rd and 3.

I'm not nitpicking anything. I'm criticizing your choice of plays. I'm also disagreeing with your claims that he lacks speed and quickness.

You don't like the Joyner pick? Tough. He's on the team now. So rather than criticizing him week after week, why don't you give him time to improve?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
This has nothing to do with patience. It's what I saw before the Rams even drafted him. I watched his college tape before the draft and right after the Rams drafted him. Wasn't impressed with him as CB(posted it at the time). Then I looked at his combine numbers and they confirmed what I thought I was seeing. Add in what I've been seeing in pre-season and the first 4 games and it's even more of what I thought I saw in him. He's just not a good CB, IMO. He's much better suited to be a FS. It's not like Mcleod is lighting it up back there. The only reason I see for keeping Joyner at slot CB for now is the injury to Tru. Once he's back, I don't want to see him in the slot but I have a feeling Fisher won't move him.

As far as his big mistake yesterday, I'm not really concerned about that. It was mental and if there's one thing I'm not worried about with Joyner, it's the mental side. What concerns me are the plays where he's routinely about 4-5 feet behind the WR he's covering, he gets out jumped, he's relatively easily juked because he lacks quickness, and then after the play you see him get pushed around because he's so small. He can put on a good hit if he can build up some speed and he's willing to hit but that isn't what I'm talking about. Perfect example yesterday was when he got dragged an extra, what, 7 yards or so after his guy caught the ball. I just don't see him ever being the type of slot CB that teams need in today's NFL. I do think he could be good enough at FS, though.

I wouldn't be averse to seeing him move to FS when Tru comes back. Gaines can play the slot. I've been really impressed with him. He more than deserved that pick yesterday for the rrest of his play so far.