Jrry32 Post Christmas Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Santa delivered us a win in Seattle which definitely made my day. I was going to post this last night but decided to wait until after the game to see the result.
Hire
Rob Boras OC

I think Fisher will stick with him. Not sure how I feel about it but don't know if we can attract better.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Chris Long DE
Nick Foles QB

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million (after being franchised)
Trumaine Johnson - 5 years $45 million
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $10.5 million
Greg Zuerlein - 1 year $1.5 million
Will Hayes - 3 years $9 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $2 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Case Keenum - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $3 million

I can't take any more of Nick Foles at QB. We don't save much when we cut him but he's just not worth the roster spot. Mark Barron filled in admirably for Ogletree but he doesn't really have a spot once Alec comes back. Cutting Chris Long hurts but it's time. He can't stay healthy and his skills are declining. Britt has played well enough this year to keep as a deep threat imo. We bring Case Keenum back as the backup QB. Zuerlein gets a "prove it" deal.

Free Agency
Miami+Dolphins+v+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+QC6QGa0zF5ml.jpg

Rishard Matthews WR - 4 years $20 million

102913_Curry_600.jpg

Vinny Curry DE - 4 years $20 million

billywinn_576.jpg

Billy Winn DT - 2 years $3 million

Matthews was on pace for a 1000 receiving season before breaking multiple ribs in the 11th game this year. I liked him as a prospect coming out of Nevada and this was the first year he got a chance to play a big role in Miami and he delivered 2 100+ games and 7 50+ yard games in the 10 healthy games he played. He played their #2 WR role this year but DeVante Parker stepped into the starting lineup when he was injured and Miami already has Kenny Stills and Jarvis Landry. Thus, he's a talented young player but they have no reason to keep him. Matthews is a 6'0" 217 pound WR with good YAC skills, the speed to take slants to the house, and a solid pair of hands.

Vinny Curry steps in to replace Long. He will rotate with Hayes and Westbrooks at LDE and give Quinn a breather at RDE. Has been a fairly productive pass rusher in the Eagles 3-4 scheme the past two years with 9 sacks in 2014. I think he's a better fit in the 4-3 so there's potential for him to step up and take the starting LDE job here.

We need a body behind Donald and Brockers. Winn is a cheap body with some talent and upside left. He's shown some flashes but ultimately has proven only to be a rotational guy. That's probably what he is but the truth is, that all he needs to be. Come in, spell one of the two DTs, and don't be a major liability.

Trade
Rams trade Round 3 Pick #18
Steelers trade WR Markus Wheaton

Rams trade Round 1 Pick #18 and Round 2 Pick #18
Buccaneers trade Round 1 Pick #10

Rams trade HB Tre Mason
Cowboys trade Round 4 Pick #5

Wheaton is a WR that I think we need to pursue this off-season. He's entering the final year of his deal in Pittsburgh so I think if they get a good enough offer, they'll be willing to trade him since they still have to pay Bell, Brown, and Bryant. Emmanuel Sanders has come out of that offense and tore it up. I've been impressed with the steps forward Wheaton has taken this year and he's really made the most of his opportunities. I think in a bigger role, he's capable of putting up a 1000+ yard season.

The Buccaneers have a franchise QB in the making and a good start on offense so they're willing to trade down to grab an additional premium pick to help build around Winston and build up their defense. The Rams are going after their franchise QB. They're not willing to bet on him falling to them at #18.

Mason's touches have been going down since Gurley took over as lead back and frankly, we shouldn't have to worry about having to get Mason touches to keep him happy. He's a talented kid and I understand him wanting to play. Dallas has a need at HB, Mason is a good fit for their system, and they're willing to give up a 4th for a guy that was a 3rd rounder only a couple years ago and is currently still on his rookie deal. Rams no longer have to take Gurley off the field when he's not needing a breather (and Cunningham is more than capable of giving Gurley a breather) and the Cowboys get a young, talented HB.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #10 - Connor Cook QB Michigan State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-7kA4kL0Bw

Analysis: I already know this pick isn't going to be popular with everybody but I just don't care. I've done a thorough film review of Cook and I've done my damnedest to convince myself that he isn't the guy. I haven't been able to do it. The truth is that I came into the season not liking Cook based on the little film I had seen but the progression he's made over his career and the traits he has shown have really impressed me this year. Some are stuck on his completion percentage but Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, and Brandon Weeden are some of the most prolific college QBs in terms of completion percentage and look what they are in the NFL. Yes, Cook is streaky and goes through periods of inaccuracy. However, we're picking a QB outside of the top 5 picks, he's going to have flaws. Cook's flaws are his streakyness and his footwork. But the things he offers more than offset all of that. Cook is a three year starter in a pro style offense with good arm strength, solid mobility, and prototypical QB size. His team has been highly successful with him as a starting QB with a 36-4 record in his 3 years as a starter. Cook, himself, has outproduced previous Michigan State QBs including Kirk Cousins, Brian Hoyer, and Drew Stanton. The things in Cook's game that stand out to me that make me believe he'll be a quality NFL QB are his mental acuity, instincts, toughness, poise, and competitiveness. Cook has things on film due to the offense he played in that most other QBs don't. These things include throwing WRs open, throwing with anticipation, making tight window throws, moving defenders with his eyes, moving within the pocket, and throwing a NFL route tree. Cook has plenty of doubters but I think he fits perfectly here. He's a pro ready kid coming from a run first offense that will understand his role here and play it to perfection. And he'll offer us more in terms of playmaking ability than the QBs we've had the past couple years.
NFL Comparison: Eli Manning

Round 2 Pick #14 - Cody Whitehair OG/OT Kansas State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFfYBjqTvdc

Analysis: Cody Whitehair played LT at Kansas State but is expected to slide inside to OG at the next level. Some scouts have gone on the record that they believe he can play all 5 OL positions at the NFL level but will be best off inside. I think his versatility will be valuable here. He's lacking in length to play LT but you never know as a lot of people felt that way about David Bakhtiari, the Packers starting OL. Of course, the plan is for Whitehair to play OG but if Robinson continues to struggle at LT, there's a possibility he could compete for that job down the line. As a player, Whitehair has a wide base and a strong anchor. He's smooth on his feet even at LT. He also displays outstanding grip strength and once he engages the defender, they very rarely get his hands off of them. This makes him very effective at engaging blocks. However, he needs to improve his hand/arm positioning in his pass set and his hand placement when punching. His hands get outside the chest-plate too often which will get flagged at the NFL level. He's a natural knee bender with no flexibility issues. As a run blocker, Whitehair is a good technician and uses angles extremely well. He sustains his blocks and can drive defenders off the ball with his natural leverage. However, he only possesses solid power and doesn't possess much of a mean streak. All in all, Whitehair is excellent technician that has the ability to be a top tier pass protecting OG and a good run blocker although he lacks a true mean streak.
NFL Comparison: Josh Sitton

Round 4 Pick #5 - Scooby Wright III ILB/OLB Arizona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple and Kentrell Brothers from Missouri are also worth considering. But right now, Wright is being considered a mid round pick due to his lack of measurables and his injury keeping him out all year. He has reportedly already hired an agent, though, and is set on declaring.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #18 - Bryce Williams TE East Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imwLMD_8MO4

Analysis: Bryce Williams is a former walk-on at East Carolina that has proven himself to be a very intriguing tight end prospect. At 6'6" 260, Williams has NFL size and a frame that still has growth potential. He'll need to get a bit stronger to be able to block in line at the NFL level. However, Williams played FB in the past at East Carolina and is a very willing blocker. His technique needs a lot of refinement but the mechanics are in place and there's no lack of want-to. He actually looked surprisingly good in pass protection when I saw him so there's definitely upside there. As a receiver, he was one of the most productive TEs in college football with 58 catches for 588 yards and 4 TDs this year. Williams displays good agility and burst with solid top-end speed. He's not going to be torching teams up the seam but he has the athleticism to get open in the short to intermediate range. He also is a sure-handed TE that is willing to make catches in traffic, will go up and get the football, and will battle defenders for the ball when it is in the air. He's willing to get physical and use his big body. After the catch, he's got some elusiveness for a big man and doesn't go down without a fight but he's not Rob Gronkowski in terms YAC. Solid overall YAC skills, though. As a rookie, he'll likely see limited snaps. Will need some time to get his blocking up to par and get the pro game down but he should be able to contribute on 3rd downs early on as a reliable target and has potential in the red-zone.
NFL Comparison: Todd Heap

Round 6 Pick #18 - Mike Matthews C Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6osh3LY1VXk

Analysis: Yep, there's another Matthews. Mike isn't blessed with the size that Jake had but he's definitely got the same sort of athleticism and feet that Jake has. Body is a hindrance. Undersized at 6'2" 290ish and he appears to have short arms. My guess is around 32 inches. Wouldn't be surprised if they're shorter than 32. This does cause him some occasional problems. As a pass blocker, he's an absolute rock. He knows when to help, he's an intelligent player that handles stunts and blitzes well, and I didn't notice any issues with bad snaps. In 1-on-1 situations, he consistently shut his man down. Even when his man lands a jarring blow, Matthews is able to drop his butt and widen his base while establishing proper hand positioning and locking on which allows him to stonewall the bullrush after a step or two. When his man tries to knife past him with agility, Matthews shows great footwork and body positioning to slide with the defender, push him up-field, and position his body between the defender and QB at all times. However, Matthews will occasionally duck his head and lunge at defenders because of his arm length and he doesn't have a powerful punch. Often is catching the defender but he's strong and polished in the lower body which allows him to handle this well. As a pass protector, he looks like a quality player and a pro ready guy. As a run blocker, he needs work. Great movement skills, feet, and fluidity which allows him to reach defenders and pull or attack the second level effortlessly. However, he needs to play under control and use angles better on the second level and in the open-field. Too often misses his man because he doesn't position himself well. When blocking 1-on-1 on the LOS, he has enough sand in his pants to get push but he doesn't sustain blocks well. Again, I think the short arms hurt him here and he needs to play with better leverage. As a run blocker, he certainly has upside especially in a zone blocking scheme but will be hit and miss until his OL Coach polishes some technical aspects of his game. Frankly, I'm shocked that NFL teams don't seem to be higher on the guy as I have him as a Day 2/early Day 3 pick but then again, Center is probably my worst position when it comes to evaluations.
NFL Comparison: Jason Kelce

Projected Starters
QB: Connor Cook
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Markus Wheaton
ZWR: Rishard Matthews
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Cody Whitehair
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Will Hayes
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Akeem Ayers
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

A few interesting things to note: I kept Rodger Saffold which is very different than my normal mocks but I figured that the $3 million we save won't be enough to get an OL that will provide his level of play and versatility. Saffold will not be starting. Instead, he'll be our 6th OL which should be quite good for us because it gives us a guy that can play 4 positions on the OL off the bench that will not be a liability. We also keep Garrett Reynolds who provides similar versatility. Why? Because we keep getting bitten in the ass by OL injuries. It's time we make sure we have the depth. Better safe than sorry.

Scooby Wright, Bryce Williams, and Mike Matthews probably won't start as rookies. All have upside but will need some time to polish up their mechanical flaws and get used to the pro game. I think all three have the potential to start for us in 2017 which is a major positive. There's a remote possibility that Mike Matthews wrestles the starting Center job away from Tim Barnes. There's also the possibility that Cody Whitehair isn't ready to start week 1. If that happens, Garrett Reynolds steps in and starts. I'd rather keep Saffold on the bench for when we have OL injuries and Reynolds has played pretty well this year which would give us continuity with the guys on the OL.

As I said before, I know there are some people that won't be pleased by the Connor Cook pick. There's not much I can do to change your mind. All I can tell you is that I've gone through an exhaustive evaluation of him and done everything I can to convince myself that he isn't the guy. The film has convinced me every single time that he is the guy. I think he's going to be a quality NFL QB. I still have him ranked below Goff and Lynch but I am assuming both are gone by the time the #10 pick rolls around.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like Cook, probably more than you do from a skill set perspective. Actually like him better than Lynch and Goff as of right now.

I have heard grumblings that he does not love football and is not motivated. Now I find that hard to believe based on the way he plays but 2 questions, have you heard this and if it was true would it change your pick?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like locking up our young talent on defense.

Completely agree on CL. It's a tough decision, but unless he's willing to take a large pay cut. He's gone.

More depth at the oline is intersting. Not sure how I feel about it. We already have quite a few young guys in the grooming process. I would actually like to see more veteran depth. The shortfall of that is no upside. What you see is what you get.

Regarding Cook. You like him more than Wentz?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Cook, probably more than you do from a skill set perspective. Actually like him better than Lynch and Goff as of right now.

I have heard grumblings that he does not love football and is not motivated. Now I find that hard to believe based on the way he plays but 2 questions, have you heard this and if it was true would it change your pick?

Yes. It would change my pick if true. He's the QB and has to be a hard worker. But I don't buy it. I've heard that he's an arrogant kid but I've also heard that he works extremely hard, loves football, and is an on-the-field leader.

I have a hard time buying that he doesn't love football and is not motivated. Doesn't play like it. I still remember him lowering his injured shoulder into a defender to get a first down against I think it was Iowa. You don't play with the fire and competitiveness that Cook does if you don't have a passion for the game.

I like locking up our young talent on defense.

Completely agree on CL. It's a tough decision, but unless he's willing to take a large pay cut. He's gone.

More depth at the oline is intersting. Not sure how I feel about it. We already have quite a few young guys in the grooming process. I would actually like to see more veteran depth. The shortfall of that is no upside. What you see is what you get.

Regarding Cook. You like him more than Wentz?

Yes and no. I think Wentz has more upside but I think he's less pro ready. Cook is more prepared to step into the NFL day 1 and run our offense. I think it'll take Wentz awhile and if forced to play as a rookie, he'll have more struggles than Cook. But he is a more physically talented player.

Wouldnt be a Jrry mock without Scooby Wright
Lol

I think he's going to be underrated because of his measurables so it makes sense. Can get Laurinaitis's heir without having to spend one of the premium picks that can go towards the offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am okay with the Wright pick if he is assured of being healthy. I do wonder if his size contributes to injury though.

Overall I don't like this draft. I am not a Cook guy. I read that he loves the spotlight, but not in a good way. I don't like his inconsistency and there is absolutely nothing flashy with his game. He has a low ceiling IMO. If you make a bunch of trades to move up then get a guy with a higher ceiling. If that is not possible stand pat and take Wentz.

I have really gotten used to the BPA drafts the Rams have had the last few years. Donald and Gurley are the kind of players that the Rams need to make the jump to the next level. I don't see Cook or Whitehair as exciting first and second round picks inspiring hopes of RoY type seasons. However this draft really seems like a pretty weak one overall.

I really like the Free Agency part though. Getting two receivers that are better than anything on our roster is a plus and keeping our best deep threat in Britt is definitely they way I would go. He is the most productive receiver. Why cut him on an affordable contract. No reason to.

Keeping Saffold is a no brainer for me too. I like the idea of using him as depth. The young guys have to start IMO. I like what I have seen from Wichman. Push Robinson harder in the offseason to get his game (feet) straightened out and get Brown in next to him. They will have camp to see how it works and if it doesn't they have Saffold and Reynolds to fall back on. Great plan.

Center however is a place where they may have a chance to pickup a better player in Free Agency in Mack. We'll see though. I have no idea how the cap will work out at this point.

I like Curry as a Long replacement for now. The DLine free agents seem to work out because the unit is solid and seems to have a lot of fun. Not many guys are going to have trouble being on board with that.

FRO

Legend
I see the upside in Cook. He is very streaky as you mentioned and his inaccuracy comes from bad mechanics at times. He can be deadly accurate and his upside is as high as anybody. My problem with him is his streakiness has followed him from his freshman year to his senior year. Why hasn't he been able to smooth it out? Thats my main problem with him. He will fit a throw in a super tight spot that will leave you in awe, the same game he will miss wide open guys high. His inconsistencies are very troubling to me. If we drafted him I would want to sit him for a year and have him work on mechanics and slowly develop him. You could have a great QB if you develop him slowly. I think if you immediately tbrow him in there nothing gets fixed and it could ruin him.

FRO

Legend
Oh and I totally agree on Williams. Great developmental TE prospect. Would be perfect for us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am okay with the Wright pick if he is assured of being healthy. I do wonder if his size contributes to injury though.

Overall I don't like this draft. I am not a Cook guy. I read that he loves the spotlight, but not in a good way. I don't like his inconsistency and there is absolutely nothing flashy with his game. He has a low ceiling IMO. If you make a bunch of trades to move up then get a guy with a higher ceiling. If that is not possible stand pat and take Wentz.

Disagree that he has a low ceiling. Has all the physical tools and you can already see on film that he can throw with anticipation, throw guys open, read the defense, and work through his progressions quickly. And he kills iso coverage. He has a high ceiling. But the risk is his streakyness. I'm willing to take the risk.

I don't care if he loves the spotlight. If he loves the spotlight, he'll work hard to be an elite QB and earn it. Eli, Big Ben, Jameis, etc. all had some character flaws coming out. Doesn't stop you from being a great QB. Hell, I'd argue that Peyton Manning loves the spotlight.

When I watch him, I see Eli Manning. He's not consistent but when he's on, he looks absolutely special. He's super competitive and he's fearless. I like the kid. He does so many things that you rarely ever see in college passers.

I have really gotten used to the BPA drafts the Rams have had the last few years. Donald and Gurley are the kind of players that the Rams need to make the jump to the next level. I don't see Cook or Whitehair as exciting first and second round picks inspiring hopes of RoY type seasons. However this draft really seems like a pretty weak one overall.

If anything, a pro ready QB like Cook is one of the surest bets to win ROY. Especially on a team like the Rams who could make the playoffs.

Whitehair may not be exciting but he's a quality OL. Don't care about flash or excitement. We gotta win in the trenches.

I really like the Free Agency part though. Getting two receivers that are better than anything on our roster is a plus and keeping our best deep threat in Britt is definitely they way I would go. He is the most productive receiver. Why cut him on an affordable contract. No reason to.

Agreed. I'd also be very interested in Pierre Garcon if he comes available for cheap trade. I don't think throwing a bunch of rookies at our WR problem will solve it in the immediate future.

Keeping Saffold is a no brainer for me too. I like the idea of using him as depth. The young guys have to start IMO. I like what I have seen from Wichman. Push Robinson harder in the offseason to get his game (feet) straightened out and get Brown in next to him. They will have camp to see how it works and if it doesn't they have Saffold and Reynolds to fall back on. Great plan.

Center however is a place where they may have a chance to pickup a better player in Free Agency in Mack. We'll see though. I have no idea how the cap will work out at this point.

I like Curry as a Long replacement for now. The DLine free agents seem to work out because the unit is solid and seems to have a lot of fun. Not many guys are going to have trouble being on board with that.

Honestly, I'm not sure how good Curry is. But I don't want to watch film on a bunch of rational DEs.(I know, lazy) We just need someone that can spell Hayes and Quinn along with Westbrook and provide solid play if there's an injury.

I agree. Saffold is likely worth more than the $3 million we save as a 6th OL to us. Wichmann has talent but he needs to get stronger. He's a liability in the run game right now.

I don't like the idea of Mack. Great player for a long time but Browns fans have torn him apart this year and were laughing that he made the Pro Bowl. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on another veteran OL that is on the decline and will fall apart when he gets here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see the upside in Cook. He is very streaky as you mentioned and his inaccuracy comes from bad mechanics at times. He can be deadly accurate and his upside is as high as anybody. My problem with him is his streakiness has followed him from his freshman year to his senior year. Why hasn't he been able to smooth it out? Thats my main problem with him. He will fit a throw in a super tight spot that will leave you in awe, the same game he will miss wide open guys high. His inconsistencies are very troubling to me. If we drafted him I would want to sit him for a year and have him work on mechanics and slowly develop him. You could have a great QB if you develop him slowly. I think if you immediately tbrow him in there nothing gets fixed and it could ruin him.

I gotta disagree on sitting him. His mechanical flaws are slight enough that he can work them out even if you throw him into the fire. Cook is a guy you throw into the fire. He can handle it.

Wentz, on the other hand, is a guy who has big enough issues with his lower body mechanics that he's better off sitting.

FRO

Legend
I gotta disagree on sitting him. His mechanical flaws are slight enough that he can work them out even if you throw him into the fire. Cook is a guy you throw into the fire. He can handle it.

Wentz, on the other hand, is a guy who has big enough issues with his lower body mechanics that he's better off sitting.
I guess I'm just a proponent of redshirting QBs, even though the data has shown that isn't necessary.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I'm just a proponent of redshirting QBs, even though the data has shown that isn't necessary.

I'm a case by case guy. If they're ready mentally and don't have any major mechanical flaws, I am in favor of playing them.

FRO

Legend
I'm a case by case guy. If they're ready mentally and don't have any major mechanical flaws, I am in favor of playing them.
Another thing that concerns me is the Fisher/Snead regime's ability to develop offensive players that don't play RB. Trusting them with a first round QB scares me a bit. It has to be done if there is a reasonable QB to be had.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another thing that concerns me is the Fisher/Snead regime's ability to develop offensive players that don't play RB. Trusting them with a first round QB scares me a bit. It has to be done if there is a reasonable QB to be had.

You still draft a QB. If you believe Fisher's staff can't develop him, he has no business being the coach here. And he won't be the coach here if he can't.

FRO

Legend
You still draft a QB. If you believe Fisher's staff can't develop him, he has no business being the coach here. And he won't be the coach here if he can't.
Do I trust them to develop a QB? No. Do I have say in if they stay or not? No. I agree you don't pass on a QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do I trust them to develop a QB? No. Do I have say in if they stay or not? No. I agree you don't pass on a QB.

If they can't do it, they'll be gone after next year. And we'll have a talented team and a shiny first round QB for the next coach.

FRO

Legend
If they can't do it, they'll be gone after next year. And we'll have a talented team and a shiny first round QB for the next coach.
I'm not sure I trust them to pick out our QB either. They put a lot of stock in private workouts and a guy like Hackenburg would be impressive in those. That being said, I can't let my pessimism get in the way when nothing has happened yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure I trust them to pick out our QB either. They put a lot of stock in private workouts and a guy like Hackenburg would be impressive in those. That being said, I can't let my pessimism get in the way when nothing has happened yet.

I'm not advocating for Hackenberg. There's nothing that can be done in real life to stop them from choosing who they choose.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So...after watching Jared Goff today and seeing the best performance I've seen from a QB prospect in a bowl game, I'd trade the moon and the stars for him.

I like Connor Cook. I won't be disappointed if he's the QB we go after. But I'd trade our 1st, 2nd, 2017 1st, and 2017 4th for Goff. Honestly, if I had to, I might be swayed into making the RGIII trade for Goff (1st, 2nd, 2017 1st, and 2018 1st). I know it's risky. But that kid will win us a Super Bowl if he ends up here.(not saying he'll do it in 2016 but he'll do it for us)

Of course, I would have to go through the interviews, medical, etc. to make sure (which I can't) but I think Goff is a future star at QB. He's got it all.

Stel

Starter
So...after watching Jared Goff today and seeing the best performance I've seen from a QB prospect in a bowl game, I'd trade the moon and the stars for him.

I like Connor Cook. I won't be disappointed if he's the QB we go after. But I'd trade our 1st, 2nd, 2017 1st, and 2017 4th for Goff. Honestly, if I had to, I might be swayed into making the RGIII trade for Goff (1st, 2nd, 2017 1st, and 2018 1st). I know it's risky. But that kid will win us a Super Bowl if he ends up here.(not saying he'll do it in 2016 but he'll do it for us)

Of course, I would have to go through the interviews, medical, etc. to make sure (which I can't) but I think Goff is a future star at QB. He's got it all.

Well, by the trade value chart, our 2016 first and both 2016 seconds are about 1800 points, equal to the #4 pick. Throw in the 2017 #1 and we can get to #3. I'd do that for for Goff. I"m not as sure of Lynch, though. Not sure why but I don't get the same vibe watching him as I do Goff.

Picking #3 or #4, then having only a 3rd, 4th and 6th rounder left makes this a slim year but if we resign most of our FAs, we don't need a lot more to seriously compete. All the picks in the world won't help us if we don't get a QB.