Jrry32 Cooper Kupp Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've made it clear where I stand on Kupp. He's my guy if I'm choosing a WR in the second round. Here's how the rest of the draft could play out.
Trade
Rams trade Round 2 Pick #5
Broncos trade Round 2 Pick #19 and Round 3 Pick #37

I heard a rumor that the Broncos like Evan Engram. They also need to address the OL. It's possible that they draft Engram at #20 and trade up to the top of the second for an OL or vice versa.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #19 - Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZLQSBeV40

Summary: Kupp owns every major career receiving record across all divisions of college football. He's a four-year starter who has averaged 107 catches for 1616 yards and 18 TDs per year. In 4 games against the Pac-12 during his career, Kupp produced 40 catches for 716 receiving yards and 11 receiving TDs. As a sophomore against Washington, Kupp caught a 41 yard TD against Marcus Peters in man, a 7 yard TD against Marcus Peters in zone, a 27 yard TD against Bubba Baker in man, and 15 to 20 yard catch against Kevin King in man in a game where he posted 8 catches for 145 yards and 3 TDs. On the field, Kupp is extremely technically sound. His route running is advanced for a college WR, and his releases against press are gorgeous. I could nitpick a minor thing or two in his route running that will improve at the next level, but you can tell that he's a guy who works very hard at his craft. Even still, I'd say the strongest part of his game is his hands. He catches almost everything. When he doesn't make a spectacular catch, you want to mark it down as a drop because he usually makes it look so easy. What are the negatives? He's "only" 6'2" 204 pounds and runs a 4.62 40. However, he posted a 4.08 short shuttle and a 6.75 three cone drill, which are highly impressive for a guy his size. It's easy to see that burst, agility, and change of direction ability in his game. Some of you might say, "We have enough slot WRs." I don't care. Whether Kupp plays split end, flanker, or in the slot, he's going to get open, he's going to catch the ball, and he's going to find the end-zone. Let's hope he's doing that for us.

Round 3 Pick #5 - DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_nZanLqxAw

Summary: Walker's stock is hurt because he's a tweener who only fits in certain schemes. Walker doesn't have ideal size and strength for a 2-gap 3-4 defense and doesn't have the edge speed to be an ideal 4-3 DE. The reality is that Walker fits best in the NFL as a 3-technique, but he's undersized (6'4" 280) for that role. This is to our benefit because he fits perfectly as a LDE in Wade's 1-gap 3-4 defense. Walker posted 68 tackles 21.5 TFLs, and 16 sacks as a senior at FSU. He did the most damage while playing inside. Walker's burst off the ball, ability to get skinny through gaps, polished hand use, and diverse set of pass rush moves make him very difficult to handle when facing off against interior OLs. Walker has a motor that runs hot when he's not fatigued and alpha dog attitude on defense. He's an emotional leader type who leaves it all on the field. He has a diverse set of rush moves and counters along with a powerful punch. Walker also shows the ability to stack and shed blocks in the run game when he plays with leverage. However, Walker needs to be more consistent with his pad level, as OLs can drive him off the ball when he doesn't maintain leverage. As stated earlier, Walker also lacks the juice and bend to win the corner off the edge. He's much more dangerous inside where he can burst through gaps.

Round 3 Pick #37 - Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3mHua_jSQ

Summary: With Lewis getting arrested for domestic violence, it seems likely that he'll fall further than he should. After reading about the circumstances preceding his arrest and considering his track record, I think it's pretty flimsy. As a player, Lewis is a tenacious competitor who makes up for his lack of height (5'10" 188) and elite long speed (4.54 40) with sticky cover skills, fluid hips, and extremely quick feet. Lewis camps out in the hip pocket of the WR. He's constantly challenging passes at the catch point, he displays polished footwork, and he uses his hands well while pressing. Despite his short stature, he's a highly effective press CB because of his quick feet, long arms (relative to his size), feisty nature, patient approach, and sound technical skill. I think Lewis is an outstanding fit in our scheme because he possesses the versatility to play both in the slot and outside the numbers. He can be our Chris Harris Jr. I think Wade will highly value Lewis's skill-set, and he seems to be getting underrated as people get caught up on the measurables of CBs who don't cover like Lewis does.

Round 4 Pick #5 - Chase Roullier C/OG Wyoming

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udIir9JOgLg

Summary: I stumbled onto Roullier late, but I really like this kid. As I said before, I like his skill-set for our scheme more than I do Pocic's and Elflein's. He's exactly what Kromer wants. Despite coming from Wyoming (small school), Roullier is a well-coached player exiting a pro style offense (his HC, Craig Bohl, was Carson Wentz's HC). Roullier spent his first two years as a starter at LG before moving over to Center this year. At 6'4" 312, Roullier fits what Kromer looks for in his interior OLs. Roullier is a strong player at the POA with the lower body strength, leg drive, and nastiness to move guys out of the way. Roullier does an excellent job of staying on his blocks and playing through the whistle. He displays sound technical skill and quality body control while blocking on the move. As a pass protector, Roullier shows nimble feet, sound footwork, polished hand usage, and a strong base. Roullier's weaknesses are his lack of experience at Center, his short arms, and his balance in pass protection. Roullier needs to do a better job of adjusting to stunts and twists. He also needs to get used to playing in the Center spot, as he lost his footing due to the bodies around him too often this year. All in all, Roullier is a quality all around player who fits our scheme and has few true weaknesses.

Round 4 Pick #35 - George Kittle TE Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsmmz6t5TI

Summary: George Kittle is one of the most interesting guys in this class. He was unheralded going into the Combine out of Iowa. He had solid production as a pass catcher in college but nothing eye popping (other than his yards per catch average). At the Combine, the 6'4" 247 pound Kittle surprised a lot of people by running a 4.52 40 and posting incredible jump numbers for a man his size. However, Kittle is more than just an athlete. What separates Kittle from your typical athletic project is that Kittle is a phenomenal blocking TE. Kirk Ferentz puts out a lot of polished TEs and OLs from Iowa. Kittle is another guy cut from that cloth as a blocker. He is a tenacious run blocker who uses his athleticism, body control, polished technique, and quality strength to create lanes in the run game and take his defender out of the play. Kittle plays through the whistle as a blocker and looks to bury his man. As a pass catcher, he's still developing as a route runner, but he has shown that he has the athleticism, YAC skills, and hands to be a factor.

Round 5 Pick #5 - Avery Moss OLB Youngstown State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3fZKiuhjp8

Summary: I'm surprised that Moss isn't getting more hype. Moss has some character red flags in his background (from his time at Nebraska) and is a raw pass rusher. However, Moss's physical talent stands out. At 6'3" 265, Moss possesses 34.5" arms and large hands. He has a vicious punch and great lower body power. He was able to overpower a lot of college OLs. He mainly relied on bullrushes and the dip and rip in college. His pass rush moves and hand usage are very unrefined. That's really too bad because he has the punch, length, and power to be a very disruptive pass rusher if he figures out how to use his hands better and attack OTs strategically. Moss needs to learn how to attack the half-man and use his punch/arm length to soften the edge. Moss did show the ability to explode off the line out of a two-point stance in college and some ability to drop into coverage. Additionally, he is a dominant run defender at times. He throws OTs around in the run game and generally plays with good leverage as a run defender. His ability to stack and shed is quite great. He has a nasty arm-over swim move that earns him a number of early wins as a run defender. However, he is an inconsistent run defender because his instincts and positioning are underdeveloped. He needs to do a better job of finding the ball and placing himself in the right spot. He too often allows himself to be pinned inside when he's supposed to set the edge.

Round 6 Pick #5 - Blair Brown ILB Ohio

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEt1mxYQ37g

Summary: At 5'11" 240, Brown isn't the size you expected a 3-4 ILB to typically be. However, Brown plays with total reckless abandon in the run game. When he sees it, he attacks. It doesn't matter who is standing between him and the ball carrier. Brown has no problem attacking fullbacks, tight ends, and offensive linemen in the hole to get to the ball carrier. His play strength for his size is highly impressive, and he showed at the Combine that he has NFL athleticism (4.65 40 and great jump numbers). Brown has excellent instincts and play recognition skills in the run game. He really flies around the field. He's also quite adept at reading and blowing up screens (both HB and WR screens). Brown's weaknesses are mainly related to his cover skills and lack of length. Brown's lack of length makes it difficult for him to disengage once bigger players latches on. That all said, Brown will still stack the block and clog the hole. In zone coverage, Brown's instincts and recognition skills aren't good. He plays his assigned area but doesn't anticipate routes or make plays on the ball often. He does, however, look to blow up any crossers who enter his area within 5 yards of the LOS. Due to his athleticism, he's quality in man coverage, but he wasn't tested often at the college level. His ball-skills are a question mark in my mind.

Round 6 Pick #22 - Joshua Holsey CB Auburn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-MJCkkQ1Bs

Summary: Holsey is on my list of underrated CBs. This is such a deep and talented class that a guy like Holsey can go unnoticed. Holsey had two torn ACLs in his career, so that is a concern with him. However, he has exceptionally quick feet, the speed to run with WRs deep, loose hips, and good ball-skills. He can get a little grabby at times, but as we all know, some CBs use that to their advantage (*cough* Richard Sherman). Holsey is a CB who hides it well and uses it to his advantage. Holsey handled a number of top college WRs, including Mike Williams, during his senior season at Auburn.

Round 7 Pick #16 - Chad Williams WR Grambling State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjLsP1o7N8

Summary: Chad Williams is a flyer and the first major character risk in this draft (I don't see Lewis as a character risk). Williams had a strong showing at the NFLPA Game and earned an invite to the Senior Bowl. He also had a strong showing during Senior Bowl practices. He reportedly showed the burst to separate out of his breaks and caught the ball well. He's still a very raw route runner and needs a lot of development before he's ready to play, but he has a lot of upside. Williams posted 90 catches for 1337 yards and 11 TDs this year at Grambling. In 2015, he posted 64 catches for 1012 yards and 10 TDs. Williams's basketball background has given him impressive body control and the ability to come down with jump balls. Williams proved he has NFL athleticism when he ran a 4.37 40 at his Pro Day at 6'1" 205. Williams plays the game with a chip on his shoulder, isn't afraid to get physical, and runs hard after the catch. However, he was arrested before this season on a marijuana and firearm possession charge.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Rob Havenstein
RT: Greg Robinson

LDE: DeMarcus Walker
NT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Connor Barwin
LILB: Mark Barron
RILB: Alec Ogletree
ROLB: Robert Quinn
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Jourdan Lewis vs. Kayvon Webster vs. E.J. Gaines
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: Maurice Alexander

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Pharoh Cooper
PR: Tavon Austin

Limey

Rookie
I would be very happy with this. You sold me enough on TJ Watt, that I always want to see him with that 2nd round pick, but I don't have a problem with taking Kupp there. I still don't think we know what we have with the WRs already on the roster, so I would probably go for a development project left tackle with the last pick, rather than another WR, but that really is nitpicking.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I fully endorse Kupp in horns - so much so that I'm not sure you could afford to trade down if he is there for the taking in the early 2nd.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Just curious on why you would rather trade down for Kupp if Engram is available at 37? I like Kupp also, but Engram would be a great fit for McVay at TE.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love this draft it has everything I covet with the exception of Kupp, but I'm coming around on him considering for the longest time I thought he was Connor Kupp not Cooper....
  1. Love everything about Walker and Phillips would unleash him.
  2. A Michigan CB would even bring a smile to this buckeye.
  3. Roullier & Kittle...I will be really disappointed if the Rams don't end up with both, however, I still have a feeling that Kromer likes Kyle Fuller of Baylor.
  4. A rolling stone gathers no Moss and Blair Brown checks the alliteration column for yours truly.
  5. Hosley & Williams round out the draft to make for a brilliant case for our own Counselor at Law @jrry32 !
Here's to you, here's to me and if we should ever disagree, screw you, here's to me!
giphy.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nice list....I like Cooper...not in the 2nd round...
I really like Walker....not sure if he's a need....
I'm cool with Roullier, Kittle, and Moss..I think they'll go right around the slots you picked them.....I like both of those OLB's from Youngstown. Not sure we need more nickle corner-types like Lewis & Holsey. I mean, what did we sign Robey for? Williams will probably go undrafted.

Limey

Rookie
Not sure we need more nickle corner-types like Lewis & Holsey. I mean, what did we sign Robey for?
I know both are under 6 feet, but I see more to both of them than just nickel corners. I do really like the Robey signing, btw.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm just happy to see how deep this draft is with positions we need.

There should be a couple options at WR and CB with our 2nd rnd pick.
II actually like the idea of trading down and picking up another mid rnd pick.

I don't want a TE with our 1st pick.
NNot that early in the draft. They always seem to take to long to develop.
It seems for every Vernon Davis, there are a half dozen Mercedes Lewis's.
Many of the most productive TE'S in the league went in the mid to late rounds with projected better talent going long before them.

I'm ready to roll with Higbee.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've made it clear where I stand on Kupp. He's my guy if I'm choosing a WR in the second round. Here's how the rest of the draft could play out.
Trade
Rams trade Round 2 Pick #5
Broncos trade Round 2 Pick #19 and Round 3 Pick #37

I heard a rumor that the Broncos like Evan Engram. They also need to address the OL. It's possible that they draft Engram at #20 and trade up to the top of the second for an OL or vice versa.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #19 - Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZLQSBeV40

Summary: Kupp owns every major career receiving record across all divisions of college football. He's a four-year starter who has averaged 107 catches for 1616 yards and 18 TDs per year. In 4 games against the Pac-12 during his career, Kupp produced 40 catches for 716 receiving yards and 11 receiving TDs. As a sophomore against Washington, Kupp caught a 41 yard TD against Marcus Peters in man, a 7 yard TD against Marcus Peters in zone, a 27 yard TD against Bubba Baker in man, and 15 to 20 yard catch against Kevin King in man in a game where he posted 8 catches for 145 yards and 3 TDs. On the field, Kupp is extremely technically sound. His route running is advanced for a college WR, and his releases against press are gorgeous. I could nitpick a minor thing or two in his route running that will improve at the next level, but you can tell that he's a guy who works very hard at his craft. Even still, I'd say the strongest part of his game is his hands. He catches almost everything. When he doesn't make a spectacular catch, you want to mark it down as a drop because he usually makes it look so easy. What are the negatives? He's "only" 6'2" 204 pounds and runs a 4.62 40. However, he posted a 4.08 short shuttle and a 6.75 three cone drill, which are highly impressive for a guy his size. It's easy to see that burst, agility, and change of direction ability in his game. Some of you might say, "We have enough slot WRs." I don't care. Whether Kupp plays split end, flanker, or in the slot, he's going to get open, he's going to catch the ball, and he's going to find the end-zone. Let's hope he's doing that for us.

Round 3 Pick #5 - DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_nZanLqxAw

Summary: Walker's stock is hurt because he's a tweener who only fits in certain schemes. Walker doesn't have ideal size and strength for a 2-gap 3-4 defense and doesn't have the edge speed to be an ideal 4-3 DE. The reality is that Walker fits best in the NFL as a 3-technique, but he's undersized (6'4" 280) for that role. This is to our benefit because he fits perfectly as a LDE in Wade's 1-gap 3-4 defense. Walker posted 68 tackles 21.5 TFLs, and 16 sacks as a senior at FSU. He did the most damage while playing inside. Walker's burst off the ball, ability to get skinny through gaps, polished hand use, and diverse set of pass rush moves make him very difficult to handle when facing off against interior OLs. Walker has a motor that runs hot when he's not fatigued and alpha dog attitude on defense. He's an emotional leader type who leaves it all on the field. He has a diverse set of rush moves and counters along with a powerful punch. Walker also shows the ability to stack and shed blocks in the run game when he plays with leverage. However, Walker needs to be more consistent with his pad level, as OLs can drive him off the ball when he doesn't maintain leverage. As stated earlier, Walker also lacks the juice and bend to win the corner off the edge. He's much more dangerous inside where he can burst through gaps.

Round 3 Pick #37 - Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3mHua_jSQ

Summary: With Lewis getting arrested for domestic violence, it seems likely that he'll fall further than he should. After reading about the circumstances preceding his arrest and considering his track record, I think it's pretty flimsy. As a player, Lewis is a tenacious competitor who makes up for his lack of height (5'10" 188) and elite long speed (4.54 40) with sticky cover skills, fluid hips, and extremely quick feet. Lewis camps out in the hip pocket of the WR. He's constantly challenging passes at the catch point, he displays polished footwork, and he uses his hands well while pressing. Despite his short stature, he's a highly effective press CB because of his quick feet, long arms (relative to his size), feisty nature, patient approach, and sound technical skill. I think Lewis is an outstanding fit in our scheme because he possesses the versatility to play both in the slot and outside the numbers. He can be our Chris Harris Jr. I think Wade will highly value Lewis's skill-set, and he seems to be getting underrated as people get caught up on the measurables of CBs who don't cover like Lewis does.

Round 4 Pick #5 - Chase Roullier C/OG Wyoming

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udIir9JOgLg

Summary: I stumbled onto Roullier late, but I really like this kid. As I said before, I like his skill-set for our scheme more than I do Pocic's and Elflein's. He's exactly what Kromer wants. Despite coming from Wyoming (small school), Roullier is a well-coached player exiting a pro style offense (his HC, Craig Bohl, was Carson Wentz's HC). Roullier spent his first two years as a starter at LG before moving over to Center this year. At 6'4" 312, Roullier fits what Kromer looks for in his interior OLs. Roullier is a strong player at the POA with the lower body strength, leg drive, and nastiness to move guys out of the way. Roullier does an excellent job of staying on his blocks and playing through the whistle. He displays sound technical skill and quality body control while blocking on the move. As a pass protector, Roullier shows nimble feet, sound footwork, polished hand usage, and a strong base. Roullier's weaknesses are his lack of experience at Center, his short arms, and his balance in pass protection. Roullier needs to do a better job of adjusting to stunts and twists. He also needs to get used to playing in the Center spot, as he lost his footing due to the bodies around him too often this year. All in all, Roullier is a quality all around player who fits our scheme and has few true weaknesses.

Round 4 Pick #35 - George Kittle TE Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsmmz6t5TI

Summary: George Kittle is one of the most interesting guys in this class. He was unheralded going into the Combine out of Iowa. He had solid production as a pass catcher in college but nothing eye popping (other than his yards per catch average). At the Combine, the 6'4" 247 pound Kittle surprised a lot of people by running a 4.52 40 and posting incredible jump numbers for a man his size. However, Kittle is more than just an athlete. What separates Kittle from your typical athletic project is that Kittle is a phenomenal blocking TE. Kirk Ferentz puts out a lot of polished TEs and OLs from Iowa. Kittle is another guy cut from that cloth as a blocker. He is a tenacious run blocker who uses his athleticism, body control, polished technique, and quality strength to create lanes in the run game and take his defender out of the play. Kittle plays through the whistle as a blocker and looks to bury his man. As a pass catcher, he's still developing as a route runner, but he has shown that he has the athleticism, YAC skills, and hands to be a factor.

Round 5 Pick #5 - Avery Moss OLB Youngstown State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3fZKiuhjp8

Summary: I'm surprised that Moss isn't getting more hype. Moss has some character red flags in his background (from his time at Nebraska) and is a raw pass rusher. However, Moss's physical talent stands out. At 6'3" 265, Moss possesses 34.5" arms and large hands. He has a vicious punch and great lower body power. He was able to overpower a lot of college OLs. He mainly relied on bullrushes and the dip and rip in college. His pass rush moves and hand usage are very unrefined. That's really too bad because he has the punch, length, and power to be a very disruptive pass rusher if he figures out how to use his hands better and attack OTs strategically. Moss needs to learn how to attack the half-man and use his punch/arm length to soften the edge. Moss did show the ability to explode off the line out of a two-point stance in college and some ability to drop into coverage. Additionally, he is a dominant run defender at times. He throws OTs around in the run game and generally plays with good leverage as a run defender. His ability to stack and shed is quite great. He has a nasty arm-over swim move that earns him a number of early wins as a run defender. However, he is an inconsistent run defender because his instincts and positioning are underdeveloped. He needs to do a better job of finding the ball and placing himself in the right spot. He too often allows himself to be pinned inside when he's supposed to set the edge.

Round 6 Pick #5 - Blair Brown ILB Ohio

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEt1mxYQ37g

Summary: At 5'11" 240, Brown isn't the size you expected a 3-4 ILB to typically be. However, Brown plays with total reckless abandon in the run game. When he sees it, he attacks. It doesn't matter who is standing between him and the ball carrier. Brown has no problem attacking fullbacks, tight ends, and offensive linemen in the hole to get to the ball carrier. His play strength for his size is highly impressive, and he showed at the Combine that he has NFL athleticism (4.65 40 and great jump numbers). Brown has excellent instincts and play recognition skills in the run game. He really flies around the field. He's also quite adept at reading and blowing up screens (both HB and WR screens). Brown's weaknesses are mainly related to his cover skills and lack of length. Brown's lack of length makes it difficult for him to disengage once bigger players latches on. That all said, Brown will still stack the block and clog the hole. In zone coverage, Brown's instincts and recognition skills aren't good. He plays his assigned area but doesn't anticipate routes or make plays on the ball often. He does, however, look to blow up any crossers who enter his area within 5 yards of the LOS. Due to his athleticism, he's quality in man coverage, but he wasn't tested often at the college level. His ball-skills are a question mark in my mind.

Round 6 Pick #22 - Joshua Holsey CB Auburn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-MJCkkQ1Bs

Summary: Holsey is on my list of underrated CBs. This is such a deep and talented class that a guy like Holsey can go unnoticed. Holsey had two torn ACLs in his career, so that is a concern with him. However, he has exceptionally quick feet, the speed to run with WRs deep, loose hips, and good ball-skills. He can get a little grabby at times, but as we all know, some CBs use that to their advantage (*cough* Richard Sherman). Holsey is a CB who hides it well and uses it to his advantage. Holsey handled a number of top college WRs, including Mike Williams, during his senior season at Auburn.

Round 7 Pick #16 - Chad Williams WR Grambling State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjLsP1o7N8

Summary: Chad Williams is a flyer and the first major character risk in this draft (I don't see Lewis as a character risk). Williams had a strong showing at the NFLPA Game and earned an invite to the Senior Bowl. He also had a strong showing during Senior Bowl practices. He reportedly showed the burst to separate out of his breaks and caught the ball well. He's still a very raw route runner and needs a lot of development before he's ready to play, but he has a lot of upside. Williams posted 90 catches for 1337 yards and 11 TDs this year at Grambling. In 2015, he posted 64 catches for 1012 yards and 10 TDs. Williams's basketball background has given him impressive body control and the ability to come down with jump balls. Williams proved he has NFL athleticism when he ran a 4.37 40 at his Pro Day at 6'1" 205. Williams plays the game with a chip on his shoulder, isn't afraid to get physical, and runs hard after the catch. However, he was arrested before this season on a marijuana and firearm possession charge.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Rob Havenstein
RT: Greg Robinson

LDE: DeMarcus Walker
NT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Connor Barwin
LILB: Mark Barron
RILB: Alec Ogletree
ROLB: Robert Quinn
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Jourdan Lewis vs. Kayvon Webster vs. E.J. Gaines
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: Maurice Alexander

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Pharoh Cooper
PR: Tavon Austin

Really Nice!! I like this a lot!!! I'm on board!!(y)(y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really like Walker....not sure if he's a need....
I'm cool with Roullier, Kittle, and Moss..I think they'll go right around the slots you picked them.....I like both of those OLB's from Youngstown. Not sure we need more nickle corner-types like Lewis & Holsey. I mean, what did we sign Robey for? Williams will probably go undrafted.

I don't see Lewis as a nickle CB type. Like Janoris Jenkins, his competitiveness makes up for his height.

Holsey is another guy whom I think can play both inside and out. If you watch the Clemson game, he was the only Auburn CB who could handle Mike Williams. He's very competitive and physical. I'm also going to just toss this out here, look at the similarities:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=123517&draftyear=2017&genpos=CB
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70262&draftyear=2011&genpos=FS

I don't care whether Holsey plays the slot or outside. I want his skill-set in the late 6th round. He's too good to fall that far. Here are the couple times that Watson tested him when he was on Mike Williams:
https://giphy.com/gifs/P6KQYjvOyXHkQ
https://giphy.com/gifs/6rwGCjetdzw9W

Despite giving up 5 inches to one of the best WRs in college football, Holsey defends a back-shoulder throw in the red-zone (one of the toughest throws for a CB to defend in press coverage). In the next play, Williams runs a double move and tries to get physical with Holsey, Holsey sticks with him the whole time and punches the ball out as it gets there.

Just curious on why you would rather trade down for Kupp if Engram is available at 37? I like Kupp also, but Engram would be a great fit for McVay at TE.

I don't see Engram as a TE in the NFL. I think he's a big slot. If that's the case, I think Kupp is a better pure receiver than Engram is and more NFL ready.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I could definitely live with this mock with one exception: why no Kpassagnon in the third? :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could definitely live with this mock with one exception: why no Kpassagnon in the third? :p

Kpassagnon is an outstanding athlete with a limitless ceiling, but his football skills aren't quite there yet. On the other hand, Walker is already a really good football player in a scheme like ours. The fact that he isn't an ideal fit for most schemes (but is a perfect fit for ours) will drop him further than he should. Donald and Walker as our two DEs is just unfair. Those two guys are such disruptive players in the back-field.

Some people may not love it, but I went away from the Fisher strategy of old. I focused on taking guys in the first three rounds who each have an athletic limitation but are really outstanding football players.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kpassagnon is an outstanding athlete with a limitless ceiling, but his football skills aren't quite there yet. On the other hand, Walker is already a really good football player in a scheme like ours. The fact that he isn't an ideal fit for most schemes (but is a perfect fit for ours) will drop him further than he should. Donald and Walker as our two DEs is just unfair. Those two guys are such disruptive players in the back-field.

Some people may not love it, but I went away from the Fisher strategy of old. I focused on taking guys in the first three rounds who each have an athletic limitation but are really outstanding football players.

My response was more tongue-in-cheek. I get why you took Walker. Hence the stick-out-tongue emoji.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I love getting Kupp and Kittle together. You know they are gonna know their assignments and take it seriously from day one. I wouldn't even be upset if they took Kupp at 37. This guy is the anti- Quick IMO. Very very serious about his craft and has a good grasp of route running. He has the pro bloodlines to help guide him along his journey too. I don't know if he''ll be dominant, but I could easily see him catching 60-80 balls every year after year 1. You turned me into the biggest Kittle fanboy this draft. I WILL be pissed if he ends up somewhere else. I could see the Steelers grabbing a guy like him. Keep that 3rd round draft card away from me. Kittle is etched in stone for me lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love getting Kupp and Kittle together. You know they are gonna know their assignments and take it seriously from day one. I wouldn't even be upset if they took Kupp at 37. This guy is the anti- Quick IMO. Very very serious about his craft and has a good grasp of route running. He has the pro bloodlines to help guide him along his journey too. I don't know if he''ll be dominant, but I could easily see him catching 60-80 balls every year after year 1. You turned me into the biggest Kittle fanboy this draft. I WILL be ticked if he ends up somewhere else. I could see the Steelers grabbing a guy like him. Keep that 3rd round draft card away from me. Kittle is etched in stone for me lol.

Agreed. Kupp was a four-year starter. He dominated damn near every player he faced in college, including multiple NFL players. He dominated during Senior Bowl practice week. What more can he do on the field?

People can get hung up on the 4.62 40, but how many guys have busted after testing through the roof? The man went out and proved himself on the football field week in and week out. Who cares how fast he is in the 40 yard dash?

I remember someone here comparing him to Austin Collie. I think he's a better player than Collie, but even if he's "only" Collie, that's still a good pick in the second round. Collie was well on his way to becoming a good NFL WR before his career was ruined by concussions. He was having a monster second year in 2010 (was on pace for 100+ catches, 1300+ yards, and 16 TDs) before suffering a very severe concussion (and then suffered another concussion after returning late in the year).

I look at Kupp as a guy who offers minimal risk with plenty of upside. We've been trying for years to find receivers. We've got a guy staring us in the face who can clearly play; don't pass on him for perceived upside. JMO but Kupp, Juju Smith, and Zay Jones all seem like fairly easy projections to me. They should be productive WRs even if they never are elite. I think the same is likely true of Josh Reynolds too.

Take the double instead of swinging for the fences. Hell, you never know. That double might turn into an inside the park home run.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like most of it and would be happy with that draft. Kupp, Lewis, Holsey alone would make it a good draft. Walker and Kittle would be icing.

It doesn't matter if the Rams have too many slot receivers. Kupp would be the best of the bunch. Tavon will get cut next off-season or traded because of his ludicrous contract not matching his production. Cooper is unproven but not likely to match Kupp's production. It is like I said with Engram; McVay's is a new guy coming in. He won't be emotionally tied to any current players. So, besides Goff, if he sees somebody that will be a great fit for his offense, and believes the guy can be a difference maker, then he won't let current players hold him back from making the pick.

I am not convinced Kupp makes it to round 2 despite the measurable not matching up to usual first round receiver talent. He seems like a fit for a lot of last year's playoff teams. He seems like a guy Ted Thompson (and Aaron Rodgers) would covet. Seattle, Dallas, Cincinnati- who lost a lot of receivers last year, all look like good fits. Other than New England, which team couldn't use Kupp in their receiving corps?

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Agreed. Kupp was a four-year starter. He dominated damn near every player he faced in college, including multiple NFL players. He dominated during Senior Bowl practice week. What more can he do on the field?

People can get hung up on the 4.62 40, but how many guys have busted after testing through the roof? The man went out and proved himself on the football field week in and week out. Who cares how fast he is in the 40 yard dash?

I remember someone here comparing him to Austin Collie. I think he's a better player than Collie, but even if he's "only" Collie, that's still a good pick in the second round. Collie was well on his way to becoming a good NFL WR before his career was ruined by concussions. He was having a monster second year in 2010 (was on pace for 100+ catches, 1300+ yards, and 16 TDs) before suffering a very severe concussion (and then suffered another concussion after returning late in the year).

I look at Kupp as a guy who offers minimal risk with plenty of upside. We've been trying for years to find receivers. We've got a guy staring us in the face who can clearly play; don't pass on him for perceived upside. JMO but Kupp, Juju Smith, and Zay Jones all seem like fairly easy projections to me. They should be productive WRs even if they never are elite. I think the same is likely true of Josh Reynolds too.

Take the double instead of swinging for the fences. Hell, you never know. That double might turn into an inside the park home run.

That was the exact phrase I was thinking of with Kupp! We got some mind meld ish going Jrry LOL. I couldn't have said it any better. I just watched a 12 min vid with Jeremiah interviewing Kupp and it honestly blew me away. His knowledge and savy of the game and his particular craft amaze me. He uses very specific examples and terms when asked. He doesn't stutter or have the typical, "Uhhh....", before he responds. He gave an example of being ready for one coverage pre snap and adjusting post snap because he was fooled by the D. I highly doubt you will ever see a hot read bullet pass drill Kupp in the side of the head. He will know everyone's job IMO. I think he'd be a great compliment to Woods and Austin. Then you sprinkle in Higbee, Cooper and Dunbar (Passing Game) and you have some match up issues. Kupp would fit this roster and add a needed dimension with his size and redzone production.
Bonus is he is used to turning around a bad program. He will be an A++ in the locker room IMO.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington... in the 2nd...

I guess it couldn't get worse than what we've had.

:redcard:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always appreciate the effort that you put in to these things.
All I know is that if we can pick up an extra 3rd rounder by moving back 14 spots in the 2nd, I would be real happy