Jrry32 Cooper Kupp Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I've made it clear where I stand on Kupp. He's my guy if I'm choosing a WR in the second round. Here's how the rest of the draft could play out.
Trade
Rams trade Round 2 Pick #5
Broncos trade Round 2 Pick #19 and Round 3 Pick #37

I heard a rumor that the Broncos like Evan Engram. They also need to address the OL. It's possible that they draft Engram at #20 and trade up to the top of the second for an OL or vice versa.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #19 - Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZLQSBeV40

Summary: Kupp owns every major career receiving record across all divisions of college football. He's a four-year starter who has averaged 107 catches for 1616 yards and 18 TDs per year. In 4 games against the Pac-12 during his career, Kupp produced 40 catches for 716 receiving yards and 11 receiving TDs. As a sophomore against Washington, Kupp caught a 41 yard TD against Marcus Peters in man, a 7 yard TD against Marcus Peters in zone, a 27 yard TD against Bubba Baker in man, and 15 to 20 yard catch against Kevin King in man in a game where he posted 8 catches for 145 yards and 3 TDs. On the field, Kupp is extremely technically sound. His route running is advanced for a college WR, and his releases against press are gorgeous. I could nitpick a minor thing or two in his route running that will improve at the next level, but you can tell that he's a guy who works very hard at his craft. Even still, I'd say the strongest part of his game is his hands. He catches almost everything. When he doesn't make a spectacular catch, you want to mark it down as a drop because he usually makes it look so easy. What are the negatives? He's "only" 6'2" 204 pounds and runs a 4.62 40. However, he posted a 4.08 short shuttle and a 6.75 three cone drill, which are highly impressive for a guy his size. It's easy to see that burst, agility, and change of direction ability in his game. Some of you might say, "We have enough slot WRs." I don't care. Whether Kupp plays split end, flanker, or in the slot, he's going to get open, he's going to catch the ball, and he's going to find the end-zone. Let's hope he's doing that for us.

Round 3 Pick #5 - DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_nZanLqxAw

Summary: Walker's stock is hurt because he's a tweener who only fits in certain schemes. Walker doesn't have ideal size and strength for a 2-gap 3-4 defense and doesn't have the edge speed to be an ideal 4-3 DE. The reality is that Walker fits best in the NFL as a 3-technique, but he's undersized (6'4" 280) for that role. This is to our benefit because he fits perfectly as a LDE in Wade's 1-gap 3-4 defense. Walker posted 68 tackles 21.5 TFLs, and 16 sacks as a senior at FSU. He did the most damage while playing inside. Walker's burst off the ball, ability to get skinny through gaps, polished hand use, and diverse set of pass rush moves make him very difficult to handle when facing off against interior OLs. Walker has a motor that runs hot when he's not fatigued and alpha dog attitude on defense. He's an emotional leader type who leaves it all on the field. He has a diverse set of rush moves and counters along with a powerful punch. Walker also shows the ability to stack and shed blocks in the run game when he plays with leverage. However, Walker needs to be more consistent with his pad level, as OLs can drive him off the ball when he doesn't maintain leverage. As stated earlier, Walker also lacks the juice and bend to win the corner off the edge. He's much more dangerous inside where he can burst through gaps.

Round 3 Pick #37 - Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3mHua_jSQ

Summary: With Lewis getting arrested for domestic violence, it seems likely that he'll fall further than he should. After reading about the circumstances preceding his arrest and considering his track record, I think it's pretty flimsy. As a player, Lewis is a tenacious competitor who makes up for his lack of height (5'10" 188) and elite long speed (4.54 40) with sticky cover skills, fluid hips, and extremely quick feet. Lewis camps out in the hip pocket of the WR. He's constantly challenging passes at the catch point, he displays polished footwork, and he uses his hands well while pressing. Despite his short stature, he's a highly effective press CB because of his quick feet, long arms (relative to his size), feisty nature, patient approach, and sound technical skill. I think Lewis is an outstanding fit in our scheme because he possesses the versatility to play both in the slot and outside the numbers. He can be our Chris Harris Jr. I think Wade will highly value Lewis's skill-set, and he seems to be getting underrated as people get caught up on the measurables of CBs who don't cover like Lewis does.

Round 4 Pick #5 - Chase Roullier C/OG Wyoming

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udIir9JOgLg

Summary: I stumbled onto Roullier late, but I really like this kid. As I said before, I like his skill-set for our scheme more than I do Pocic's and Elflein's. He's exactly what Kromer wants. Despite coming from Wyoming (small school), Roullier is a well-coached player exiting a pro style offense (his HC, Craig Bohl, was Carson Wentz's HC). Roullier spent his first two years as a starter at LG before moving over to Center this year. At 6'4" 312, Roullier fits what Kromer looks for in his interior OLs. Roullier is a strong player at the POA with the lower body strength, leg drive, and nastiness to move guys out of the way. Roullier does an excellent job of staying on his blocks and playing through the whistle. He displays sound technical skill and quality body control while blocking on the move. As a pass protector, Roullier shows nimble feet, sound footwork, polished hand usage, and a strong base. Roullier's weaknesses are his lack of experience at Center, his short arms, and his balance in pass protection. Roullier needs to do a better job of adjusting to stunts and twists. He also needs to get used to playing in the Center spot, as he lost his footing due to the bodies around him too often this year. All in all, Roullier is a quality all around player who fits our scheme and has few true weaknesses.

Round 4 Pick #35 - George Kittle TE Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsmmz6t5TI

Summary: George Kittle is one of the most interesting guys in this class. He was unheralded going into the Combine out of Iowa. He had solid production as a pass catcher in college but nothing eye popping (other than his yards per catch average). At the Combine, the 6'4" 247 pound Kittle surprised a lot of people by running a 4.52 40 and posting incredible jump numbers for a man his size. However, Kittle is more than just an athlete. What separates Kittle from your typical athletic project is that Kittle is a phenomenal blocking TE. Kirk Ferentz puts out a lot of polished TEs and OLs from Iowa. Kittle is another guy cut from that cloth as a blocker. He is a tenacious run blocker who uses his athleticism, body control, polished technique, and quality strength to create lanes in the run game and take his defender out of the play. Kittle plays through the whistle as a blocker and looks to bury his man. As a pass catcher, he's still developing as a route runner, but he has shown that he has the athleticism, YAC skills, and hands to be a factor.

Round 5 Pick #5 - Avery Moss OLB Youngstown State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3fZKiuhjp8

Summary: I'm surprised that Moss isn't getting more hype. Moss has some character red flags in his background (from his time at Nebraska) and is a raw pass rusher. However, Moss's physical talent stands out. At 6'3" 265, Moss possesses 34.5" arms and large hands. He has a vicious punch and great lower body power. He was able to overpower a lot of college OLs. He mainly relied on bullrushes and the dip and rip in college. His pass rush moves and hand usage are very unrefined. That's really too bad because he has the punch, length, and power to be a very disruptive pass rusher if he figures out how to use his hands better and attack OTs strategically. Moss needs to learn how to attack the half-man and use his punch/arm length to soften the edge. Moss did show the ability to explode off the line out of a two-point stance in college and some ability to drop into coverage. Additionally, he is a dominant run defender at times. He throws OTs around in the run game and generally plays with good leverage as a run defender. His ability to stack and shed is quite great. He has a nasty arm-over swim move that earns him a number of early wins as a run defender. However, he is an inconsistent run defender because his instincts and positioning are underdeveloped. He needs to do a better job of finding the ball and placing himself in the right spot. He too often allows himself to be pinned inside when he's supposed to set the edge.

Round 6 Pick #5 - Blair Brown ILB Ohio

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEt1mxYQ37g

Summary: At 5'11" 240, Brown isn't the size you expected a 3-4 ILB to typically be. However, Brown plays with total reckless abandon in the run game. When he sees it, he attacks. It doesn't matter who is standing between him and the ball carrier. Brown has no problem attacking fullbacks, tight ends, and offensive linemen in the hole to get to the ball carrier. His play strength for his size is highly impressive, and he showed at the Combine that he has NFL athleticism (4.65 40 and great jump numbers). Brown has excellent instincts and play recognition skills in the run game. He really flies around the field. He's also quite adept at reading and blowing up screens (both HB and WR screens). Brown's weaknesses are mainly related to his cover skills and lack of length. Brown's lack of length makes it difficult for him to disengage once bigger players latches on. That all said, Brown will still stack the block and clog the hole. In zone coverage, Brown's instincts and recognition skills aren't good. He plays his assigned area but doesn't anticipate routes or make plays on the ball often. He does, however, look to blow up any crossers who enter his area within 5 yards of the LOS. Due to his athleticism, he's quality in man coverage, but he wasn't tested often at the college level. His ball-skills are a question mark in my mind.

Round 6 Pick #22 - Joshua Holsey CB Auburn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-MJCkkQ1Bs

Summary: Holsey is on my list of underrated CBs. This is such a deep and talented class that a guy like Holsey can go unnoticed. Holsey had two torn ACLs in his career, so that is a concern with him. However, he has exceptionally quick feet, the speed to run with WRs deep, loose hips, and good ball-skills. He can get a little grabby at times, but as we all know, some CBs use that to their advantage (*cough* Richard Sherman). Holsey is a CB who hides it well and uses it to his advantage. Holsey handled a number of top college WRs, including Mike Williams, during his senior season at Auburn.

Round 7 Pick #16 - Chad Williams WR Grambling State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjLsP1o7N8

Summary: Chad Williams is a flyer and the first major character risk in this draft (I don't see Lewis as a character risk). Williams had a strong showing at the NFLPA Game and earned an invite to the Senior Bowl. He also had a strong showing during Senior Bowl practices. He reportedly showed the burst to separate out of his breaks and caught the ball well. He's still a very raw route runner and needs a lot of development before he's ready to play, but he has a lot of upside. Williams posted 90 catches for 1337 yards and 11 TDs this year at Grambling. In 2015, he posted 64 catches for 1012 yards and 10 TDs. Williams's basketball background has given him impressive body control and the ability to come down with jump balls. Williams proved he has NFL athleticism when he ran a 4.37 40 at his Pro Day at 6'1" 205. Williams plays the game with a chip on his shoulder, isn't afraid to get physical, and runs hard after the catch. However, he was arrested before this season on a marijuana and firearm possession charge.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
WR: Robert Woods
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Andew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Rob Havenstein
RT: Greg Robinson

LDE: DeMarcus Walker
NT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Connor Barwin
LILB: Mark Barron
RILB: Alec Ogletree
ROLB: Robert Quinn
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Jourdan Lewis vs. Kayvon Webster vs. E.J. Gaines
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: Maurice Alexander

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Pharoh Cooper
PR: Tavon Austin

Great job on the research Jrry.
While I love the type of receiver Kupp is,I am just not sure he is the type
of WR the Rams need.Would prefer a bigger or faster WR to complement
the Not so fast,not so big guys on our roster.Kupp just seems like another
of what we already have.I don't know if there will be an option for us at that
point,as I have not put the work in that some of you guys obviously have.

I am also not convinced we go Defense as early and often as you have predicted.
I truly believe Kayvon Webster was brought here to start.From everything I have read,
he is a starting type player just waiting for the opportunity.I think we will go CB at some point.
I just think it will be depth pick (barring Johnson trade) rather than a immediate need pick.

I feel the TE position will be more of a need.I have faith that Higbee will start to
come on next year,But I think we may be looking for a dangerous duo at TE.
I wouldn't be surprised if TE was the first position taken,If the WR position
doesn't offer what we need at that point in the draft.

Again I have not put in the work that you and others have put in, on the draft.
Just thought I would add another perspective to what you have laid out.JMHO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great job on the research Jrry.
While I love the type of receiver Kupp is,I am just not sure he is the type
of WR the Rams need.Would prefer a bigger or faster WR to complement
the Not so fast,not so big guys on our roster.Kupp just seems like another
of what we already have.I don't know if there will be an option for us at that
point,as I have not put the work in that some of you guys obviously have.

Unfortunately, the only guy on this roster like Kupp is Robert Woods imo. We don't have a bunch of Kupps. Which is why our WR corp has struggled so much over the past decade.

I am also not convinced we go Defense as early and often as you have predicted.
I truly believe Kayvon Webster was brought here to start.From everything I have read,
he is a starting type player just waiting for the opportunity.I think we will go CB at some point.
I just think it will be depth pick (barring Johnson trade) rather than a immediate need pick.

This is one of the best CB drafts of all time. I like Webster. He'll be given a chance to compete for a starting job, but I highly doubt we're going to pass on the CB talent in this draft, especially with the Trumaine Johnson situation unresolved.

I feel the TE position will be more of a need.I have faith that Higbee will start to
come on next year,But I think we may be looking for a dangerous duo at TE.
I wouldn't be surprised if TE was the first position taken,If the WR position
doesn't offer what we need at that point in the draft.

I like Higbee. I think he has a ton of upside in this offense. I also know McVay's reputation as a TE evaluator and developer. I see a deep TE draft with a lot of talent. This draft has guys like George Kittle and Jonnu Smith, who have the same sort of athletic traits as the guys going in the second round. I won't be a bit surprised if we wait until the 4th or 5th round to grab a TE. TEs tend to take longer to transition to the pro game. I expect McVay's expertise in developing the position will give him confidence he can develop one of the super-athletic day 3 guys.

Again I have not put in the work that you and others have put in, on the draft.
Just thought I would add another perspective to what you have laid out.JMHO.

I appreciate the feedback and input. Keep it coming!

Zero

Pro Bowler
nfortunately, the only guy on this roster like Kupp is Robert Woods imo. We don't have a bunch of Kupps. Which is why our WR corp has struggled so much over the past decade.
Other than Tavon all we have is possession type receivers.
We don't have a receiver with the speed to keep defenses honest.
As much as I like Kupp His 4.6 speed is more in line with a possession
type receiver.I would love for Tavon to be our burner,but he has not shown
he can fill that role on a consistent basis. Thoughts?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
People are looking way too much into the measurements on speed and not watching the tape of Kupp.

This guy is going to succeed at getting open and catching the ball. I see the tape and I see excellent route running. Turning defenders hips and then getting multiple steps on them. He's also ferocious with the ball in his hands. Has an excellent stiff arm, and you don't see him getting blown up you see him attacking the defenders who are trying to tackle him. He knows how to use different gears of speed to bait defenders while he's running routes.

Kupp and Kittle would be a "Koup"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Other than Tavon all we have is possession type receivers.
We don't have a receiver with the speed to keep defenses honest.
As much as I like Kupp His 4.6 speed is more in line with a possession
type receiver.I would love for Tavon to be our burner,but he has not shown
he can fill that role on a consistent basis. Thoughts?

A team that dropped the ball as much as we have over the past few years isn't a team I'd describe as having possession WRs.

Tavon and Mike Thomas are both fast WRs. Cooper is more of a possession guy. Woods is jack of all trades type. Spruce, McRoberts, North, etc. are total unknowns.

I don't care if you're a possession WR or a speed WR. I care that you can get open consistently and catch the ball. How many guys do we have who have proven capable of that?

Not too long ago, I would have agreed with you that we need a burner, but as I thought about it more, I realized that we don't need a burner. We need a WR who defenses will respect. If defenses respect Woods and Kupp, the other WRs (including Austin and Thomas) will have their chances to get deep on teams. Plus, we'll have Higbee and Kittle who both have the speed to separate up the seam.

But I'll also point out that 40 times don't really give you an accurate picture of what a WR can do. Antonio Brown ran a 4.57 40. Does he have issues getting open deep? A few years ago when Kupp played Washington, he burnt Marcus Peters and Budda Baker deep. Peters is one of the NFL's best CBs and a former first round pick. Baker is a projected top 50 pick and ran a 4.45 40.

Some guys play faster than they time, and some guys use their technical skill to beat defenders deep. Kupp is an example of a guy who does both. If NFL defenders don't respect Kupp's ability to get vertical, he'll make them pay for it. He made guys pay for it during Senior Bowl practice week. He's the type of guy you can throw it up to when he's got a 1-on-1 match-up and trust to make a play.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
A team that dropped the ball as much as we have over the past few years isn't a team I'd describe as having possession WRs.
OK.You will get no argument on this point.lol.
Glad to see 2 of those culprits gone.

But I'll also point out that 40 times don't really give you an accurate picture of what a WR can do
True.

You will not get a argument from me on the talent of Kupp.I love what he brings to the table.He is my kind of receiver.
I am just a bit worried that defenses would be able to sit down on the short game,without that vertical threat.
But then again,we aint playing fisherball anymore.The Schemes will be legit.

Love talking football and I appreciate your input 32.
Meanwhile,I'm going to check out some game film
of this Kittle kid you like.