Jonathan Martin to retire at age 25

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
I've never been bullied in my entire life. I'm not sure why because I've always been kind of nerdy even though I wrestled in HS. I did intervene once. It seemed to go well but it happened close to the end of my junior year in HS and I never really saw that guy again. That I remember anyway.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've never been bullied in my entire life. I'm not sure why because I've always been kind of nerdy even though I wrestled in HS. I did intervene once. It seemed to go well but it happened close to the end of my junior year in HS and I never really saw that guy again. That I remember anyway.

Great post @Alan never understood the bullying concept and I was never part of it, but that's a tad unfair because I was 6'2 245lbs in High School and played football, Lacrosse and Wrestled as well.

I did intervene once fellow football player giving somebody smaller a hard time and I said, "fight me instead?" His response was, "I don't want to fight you." You know you hit one kid over the head with a chair during a cafeteria food fight and everybody thinks you're not wrapped too tight.

Seriously though it's on all levels cyber bullying as well and it's too bad because we should be better as a society, but I guess some would debate that "Keeping up with the Joneses" is a form of financial bullying, but seriously there is no need for it at any level and I believe many feel the same way because most bullies have been bullied themselves.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, his retirement has nothing to do with the scandal, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for him since he seems like the catalyst of most of his own headache.

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach laying the problem out:
Great post @Alan never understood the bullying concept and I was never part of it, but that's a tad unfair because I was 6'2 245lbs in High School and played football, Lacrosse and Wrestled as well.

I did intervene once fellow football player giving somebody smaller a hard time and I said, "fight me instead?" His response was, "I don't want to fight you." You know you hit one kid over the head with a chair during a cafeteria food fight and everybody thinks you're not wrapped too tight.

Seriously though it's on all levels cyber bullying as well and it's too bad because we should be better as a society, but I guess some would debate that "Keeping up with the Joneses" is a form of financial bullying, but seriously there is no need for it at any level and I believe many feel the same way because most bullies have been bullied themselves.[/QUOTE]
:LOL: Good point.
Where does a Gorilla sit? Anywhere it wants! :LOL:

I wrestled in the 126 lb (normal weight about 140lbs) weight class. At 6'1/2". I was very skinny as a yute. Zoomed up to 165 shortly after I enlisted in the Air Force.

Yeah, I hear you about the pervasiveness of bullying. My 13 year old daughter is already on the receiving end because she's first in her class academically. The worst part of that is there's nothing a parent can really do to stop it. Attempts by my wife only made it worse. Fortunately, the bullied usually win out in the end. As with other things, hint hint, there needs to be a zero tolerance policy that is strictly enforced. We supposedly have in one her school but the enforcement part is hit or miss.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Probably the best thing he could have done he was never going to live that down in the locker room.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Man, what in the world do the 49ers and the city of SF do to these guys?????? :snicker:

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't know if my memory is right, but, I thought Martin had some mental issues. Im not saying that as a put down, but, some legitimate mental health issues. If so, I hope he has gotten the help he needs. Not being able to deal with an Incognito, will, that sucks, but, life is rougher than that.
He is an educated guy. As long as he is cool with how he is leaving the game he will be fine.
Good luck to him.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'm sorry (I'm actually not) but Martin is soft. I'm sure most of you guys here played football before and understand the masculinity of the culture, on and off the field. Growing up, I'm sure he's at least played against and with some classless kids that will do anything to get under your skin. Hazing in Miami should not have been a surprise. If he did not like the NFL, he should have left instead of going home to his parents, creating a story.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rsonal-pain-admits-multiple-suicide-attempts/

Jonathan Martin shares personal pain, admits multiple suicide attempts
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 26, 2015

350x-525.jpg
AP

Jonathan Martin hadn’t said anything about his departure from the Panthers and the NFL, and little about his days with the Dolphins since he was in the middle of the Richie Incognito bullying scandal.

But the former Dolphins and 49ers tackle wrote a heartfelt message this morning on social media this morning, expressing the pain he felt from his high school days to his NFL career.

“Your job leads you to attempt to kill yourself multiple times,” he wrote.

The message traces his unhappiness to his early days, when he never felt like he fit in at private schools in California, saying he never felt “black enough” and wasn’t accepted by either white or black classmates.

He said that led to to drinking too much, smoking marijuana “constantly” and other bad behavior, but clearly he wasn’t comfortable with the persona he created to tried to fit into the football culture.

But he also ended the note with gratitude, and an offering to others who might feel similarly.

“You realize who truly has had your back,” he wrote. “Who the people are who you need to embrace. And cherish every moment you have with them. You let your demons go, knowing that, perhaps, sharing your story can help some other chubby, goofy, socially isolated sensitive kid getting bullied in America who feels like no one in the world cares about them.

“And let them know you’re not alone.”

While Incognito’s busy working for the Bills, Martin continued to work in silence, which was his right. But Wednesday, he chose to break his silence with a powerful message.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
God, this guy is milking this for every dime isn't he?

Milking? The guy's coaches said that he had multiple suicide attempts. And what happened at Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey and Jonathan Jerry's hands to Martin, the assistant coach, and another rookie is something that nobody should have to tolerate. EVER.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
God, this guy is milking this for every dime isn't he?

It's good to see, mental health help is woefully inaccurate, and is massively stigmatised, the more people who come out and talk about it, hopefully the more help becomes available and the easier it becomes for other people to talk about their own mental health problems.

Either that or he's just weak, people have already made up their minds on him and nothing I say will influence it.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Christ, Martin needs serious help. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that admission of suicidal tendencies is often enough to allow family members or doctors to institutionalize a person until they're no longer seen as a danger to themselves.