Jonathan Martin to retire at age 25

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/27/jonathan-martin-to-retire/

Jonathan Martin to retire
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 27, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwm3mtrhnzi1mwvkmza4njazyzu1ymy0zdq3ytixm2rm-e1409458909380.jpeg
AP

Jonathan Martin, the offensive lineman who became a household name when he left the Miami Dolphins amid bullying in the locker room, has decided to retire.

Martin will file his retirement papers, in part because of a back injury that would have forced him to miss this season, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

The 25-year-old Martin was a second-round draft pick of the Dolphins in 2012 and started all 16 games for them as a rookie and seven more games in 2013 before the bullying incident, which caused a much-publicized investigation into the Dolphins’ locker room culture. Last year Martin started nine games for the 49ers, and this year he was claimed by the Panthers after the 49ers cut him.

Now Martin will walk away from the game, and begin a new chapter in his life.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I have a really hard time accepting that anyone who has played organized football in high school, college, and the pros is a wuss. He has a back injury which will cause him to miss the entire season. I predict he may return when he gets a clean bill of health.
If that's what it is, then I retract my statement, but he seems to have all the emotional and mental strength of a hormonal teenage girl.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
I have a really hard time accepting that anyone who has played organized football in high school, college, and the pros is a wuss. He has a back injury which will cause him to miss the entire season. I predict he may return when he gets a clean bill of health.

Agreed, I'd love to see either one of them go 1-on-1 with him on the field and see who the "wuss" is.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Agreed, I'd love to see either one of them go 1-on-1 with him on the field and see who the "wuss" is.
Physically he would destroy me. I stand by my assertion that he is mentally weak.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Physically he would destroy me. I stand by my assertion that he is mentally weak.

If the bullying allegations are true (haven't really kept up with that story), then I could understand why he would want out. I'm sure that the stories surrounding his time in miami haven't made it easier in the locker room elsewhere.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
If the bullying allegations are true (haven't really kept up with that story), then I could understand why he would want out. I'm sure that the stories surrounding his time in miami haven't made it easier in the locker room elsewhere.
I have all along struggled mightily to understand how someone who has made his career out of being the bigger, stronger, more aggressive person on a field stocked with big, strong, aggressive people can be unable to stand up for himself to people who are ostensibly his friends.

I also go back to the reports that he never told Incognito that he felt "bullied," but played along like it was all fun and games, until the report came out and he threw a guy who thought he was his friend under the bus in a way that could well have ended his career.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IIRC, the investigation found that he was bullied and there was some serious fall-out on the Dolphins coaching staff, no?

Now... why anyone wouldn't believe Richie Incognito is beyond me.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martin's dad is a professor and mom is a lawyer for Toyota, both Harvard alums. He has options.

Borland's dad owns a financial firm.
Luckily, Richie also didn't need football... oh, nm...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't read this article if you're easily offended by certain NSFW language. It's so bad I'm not posting it here.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/...cognito-jonathan-martin-report-miami-dolphins
Incredible the amount of abuse some will take...Yeah this is bullying taken to a whole other level...Sounds like middle school kids, but these are grown ass men...SMH....I would've popped...Not killed Richie, JJ, or Pouncey, but really knocked the hell outta somebody...I mean, boys do joke around, but they hardly knew him and were clowning about his sister...It's funny too, looking at Pouncey, doughboy looking, man boobs...who'd think he be trying to talk down to people? Figure somebody did it to him & Richie...and like studies say, they're just passing this terrible habit on down...Can't wait to see Miami vs Buffalo....Suh vs Richie...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Incredible the amount of abuse some will take...Yeah this is bullying taken to a whole other level...Sounds like middle school kids, but these are grown ass men...SMH....I would've popped

Agreed. I put up with that crap from grammar school through high school and then figured it would end when I went to college and entered the workplace. I was wrong. Some men never grow up and some even end up on internet forums. This is why the Dolphins, and any other team that allows this kind of insane stuff, need a good moderator. :)