Jon Gruden gets a new partner for MNF/Ray Lewis and Cris Carter out at ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ke-over-play-by-play-duties-on-monday-nights/

Sean McDonough to take over play-by-play duties on Monday nights
Posted by Josh Alper on May 9, 2016

177613550-e1462820245481.jpg
Getty Images

When word broke that Mike Tirico would be leaving ESPN to take a job at NBC, it was reported that Sean McDonough was the likely choice to take over Tirico’s play-by-play duties on Monday Night Football.

ESPN confirmed Monday that McDonough will be joining Jon Gruden in the booth for the 2016 season. McDonough has done NFL games on ESPN radio in recent years and grew up around the game as the son of longtime Boston Globe writer Will McDonough, who he referenced in a statement about his new job.

“This is a dream come true,” McDonough said. “One of my favorite memories of my childhood was watching Monday Night Football with my Dad, who I know is smiling down on me today. I am humbled and deeply honored to have the opportunity to be a part of the most iconic franchise in the history of sports television.”

McDonough, whose brother Terry is the Cardinals’ vice president of player personnel, is the fifth play-by-play man in the history of the Monday Night Football franchise. He joins Tirico, Keith Jackson, Frank Gifford and Al Michaels in that group.

McDonough’s new job is one of many changes expected in ESPN’s coverage of the NFL this year. Randy Moss, Charles Woodson and Matt Hasselbeck are all expected to have roles while Cris Carter, Ray Lewis, Trent Dilfer and others are reportedly on their way out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/09/report-ray-lewis-and-cris-carter-out-at-espn/

Report: Ray Lewis and Cris Carter out at ESPN
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 9, 2016

350x-11.jpg
Reuters

As it turns out, the absence of Ray Lewis from ESPN’s draft coverage was not an accident.

And he’s not the only one out.

According to The Big Lead, Lewis and Hall of Fame wide receiver Cris Carter are out at ESPN, with Randy Moss coming over from FOX Sports to help fill the void. ESPN has a press conference scheduled this afternoon to talk about their future lineups.

Carter and Moss never lacked for bold and loudly stated opinions, some of which were verifiable.

Carter drew lot of unwanted attention for telling rookies they should have a “fall guy,” in case they got arrested, and now it appears he’s available to be one.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Carter has always affected me like fingernails on a chalkboard...Good riddance, at least for me !!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Can someone post Sean McDonough's voice? I'm sure i know it but i don't put faces and names with the voices very well.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Good voice, but he sure has a face for radio. That is one ugly freaking ginger.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He is a very good play by play guy, great voice. Watched him do a lot of Big East basketball over the years.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
A couple guys on the local sports network here in the Philly area really talked this guy up this morning.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I always wished Rey Lewis was on the Rams, but I never wanted to hear him speak. The booth is no place for bravado IMO. Lewis is not good at the media thing. Carter isn't all that good either. I wish I could turn the sound off and listen to the home radio broadcast...for free.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While McDonough isn't bad he's still a downgrade from a living legend IMO. I like him though and think he'll be fine calling the games. The other two I'm surprised it took so long to get rid of them. From what I hear on the radio ESPN is bleeding money from some bad TV deals especially the NBA so getting rid of some higher priced on air "talent" was likely to happen.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Glad to hear he is a good play-by-play man. I like Gruden on MNF, he just fits the mold for MNF.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Does Mike Martz simply not want to do commentary? I loved listening to him on NFL Network. He'd be perfect for color commentary imo.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I like Gruden on MNF , never liked him as a coach though , so it's kind of surprising

MNF hasn't been any good since Howard left

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like Gruden on MNF , never liked him as a coach though , so it's kind of surprising

MNF hasn't been any good since Howard left

Man, with today's technology, can't we get a computer generated voiceover using those two's voices????

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the best analyst on TV is Aikman. He's not only an accomplished player, but he knows when to break it and offer the observations and has a calm and non-moronic demeanor. If I was stacking that group he'd be the centerpiece of it, give him a good play-by-play guy and you're golden.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does Mike Martz simply not want to do commentary? I loved listening to him on NFL Network. He'd be perfect for color commentary imo.

I swear Martz used to do color commentary for Fox.