Johnson vs. Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who should we prioritize if your the GM/head coach?

• Johnson

Votes: 55 64.0%
  • Jenkins

Votes: 31 36.0%

• Total voters

iced

I'd go with Johnson over Jenkins. I've always felt he's more of the unsung hero at Corner, and that Jenkins is a bit overhyped... He's a good corner, don't get me wrong - but with his gambling and giving up so many big plays, I don't think the big plays he does make will ever justify the big ones he gives up. He's splashy, but at times inconsistent.

Johnson is more steady - not as "shutdown" as Jenkins, but he'll make you pay for mistakes.. And consider this - Jenkins has played more games than Johnson, yet Johnson has 5 picks to Jenkins' 3.

For me its easy - Johnson all the way. If Jenkins demands too much, I am content with Johnson/Gaines at Corner

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Honestly...We shouldn't condone negativity. If you feel like you belong on another team go ahead, be another statistic. We will prevail whether your with this team or not....

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd go with Johnson over Jenkins. I've always felt he's more of the unsung hero at Corner, and that Jenkins is a bit overhyped... He's a good corner, don't get me wrong - but with his gambling and giving up so many big plays, I don't think the big plays he does make will ever justify the big ones he gives up. He's splashy, but at times inconsistent.

Johnson is more steady - not as "shutdown" as Jenkins, but he'll make you pay for mistakes.. And consider this - Jenkins has played more games than Johnson, yet Johnson has 5 picks to Jenkins' 3.

For me its easy - Johnson all the way. If Jenkins demands too much, I am content with Johnson/Gaines at Corner
That's because teams don't throw to Jenkins how many pick 6's do Jenkins have

iced

That's because teams don't throw to Jenkins how many pick 6's do Jenkins have

This year? None. Over the past 2 years he's had 2 (0 this year, 1 vs SD last year and 1 vs Dallas). Johnson over the past 2 years has had two. (today, 1 last year)

Although for what its worth Johnson has more picks (13) than Jenkins does Career wise (10).

Only knock on trumain really is his health - only started 15 games since the beginning of last season

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I chose Tru. JJ already Turner down an offer and with our penchant for over paying guys I'd say it had to be a pretty solid offer.
Let him test the market, Tru, Gaines, Roberson and Joyner are good enough ghost, spend that dough somewhere else.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This year? None. Over the past 2 years he's had 2 (0 this year, 1 vs SD last year and 1 vs Dallas). Johnson over the past 2 years has had two. (today, 1 last year)

Although for what its worth Johnson has more picks (13) than Jenkins does Career wise (10).

Only knock on trumain really is his health - only started 15 games since the beginning of last season
You mention him giving up big plays how many have he did this year..NONE.. I like them both and with the cap room we have we will be able to sign them both and we will. Johnson have more interceptions because teams try him more Jenkins has more touchdowns because he gambles more the 2 really completes each other and they make an awesome tandem. You have to have 2 shutdown type corners and that's what they both are they just do it in different ways. Teams aren't going to throw to Jenkins so you need someone like Johnson that can make them pay too

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Whenever the poll was posted a few months ago I voted for Johnson then, and I'm gonna vote for him again.

Less questionable mistakes. Actually more turnovers.

For what its worth I would like to keep both. Jenkins will be looking for the bigger payday though.

Jenkins is the better CB. But I would prioritize Johnson for a few reasons:

a) Johnson should be cheaper to retain, freeing up cap dollars to spend elsewhere.
b) Johnson is less prone to giving up big plays due to mental errors (I agree big time)
c) Johnson's size let's him match up better against big WRs.
d) I am concerned Jenkins is only finding consistency now because it is his contract year (I concede this part is speculation) (Again I agree)
e) I feel Johnson is only a *slightly* lesser CB than Jenkins. There is little to choose between them, IMO. In fact, if we saw Tru go up against the other team's #1 WR every Sunday like Jenkins does, maybe he'd do just as well and I would rate them totally equal. But until that happens, I have to give the edge to Janoris.

Hopefully both are reasonable in how much they are asking for. I don't think we should cheap out on them - very good CBs will get paid and we have to acknowledge that. But with our depth in the secondary I wouldn't want the Rams spending above market value to retain either of them. If they want out of St. Louis and are asking for an inflated deal to stay, I would definitely use the franchise tag.

iced

You mention him giving up big plays how many have he did this year..NONE.. I like them both and with the cap room we have we will be able to sign them both and we will. Johnson have more interceptions because teams try him more Jenkins has more touchdowns because he gambles more the 2 really completes each other and they make an awesome tandem. You have to have 2 shutdown type corners and that's what they both are they just do it in different ways. Teams aren't going to throw to Jenkins so you need someone like Johnson that can make them pay too

pretty sure it was last week or the week before when someone burned Jenkins side - don't know if its his fault or not but it always seems to be on his side

And like I said, this is going forward. If Jenkins wants to break the bank, I don't think we need to over pay him. Johnson/Gaines is fine by me

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I like both, but Tru just shut down Megatron and will cost less. I do think we'll sign him and then franchise JJ.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
FWIW I voted to keep Tru, but I really, really want to keep both.

And I think we can and will.

Strong CB play is essential in today's NFL if a team wants to sniff the playoffs, and I'm sure that the Rams are well aware of that.

If necessary, money can be saved by reducing Long's salary. Or Cook's. Or J Lau or Fairley.

If either JJ or Tru want to be unreasonable in their contract demands, then that's different. It's not as if our CB cupboard is bare, after all.

As an aside, I'm not worried about Jenkins slacking off after getting his 2nd contract. Far from it. This kid loves the game and loves to play. Hell, I think he would play for minimum if he had to.

Sewing up these two CB's would allow us a free hand to address big needs for upgrades at QB, WR, TE, and maybe MLB via draft. It would be money well spent, if you ask me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jenkins would be my priority. I think this board overrates Tru because people don't like Jenkins's style of play and attitude.

Tru is a smart player and a quality CB. But he's not as good as Jenkins. He's never played like Jenkins is this year and Tru gets injured a lot. Both guys have excellent ball-skills but Janoris has better pure cover skills and he allows us to scheme in a way that Tru doesn't.

Janoris has far more deep speed which allows the Rams to help Tru out on deeper routes. He doesn't have the same ability to play on an island that Janoris does. Janoris gambles and gets beat...yes. But he also can take a #1 WR out of the game in a way that Tru can't. And Janoris hasn't really been gambling much this year.

Yes, Tru played well today against Calvin...but he also got lucky a couple times. Calvin beat him badly on a first half pass and was wide open with only McLeod between him and the end-zone and Stafford over-threw him. Stafford missed him a couple other times today as well.

Tru is at his best as the #2 CB behind Jenkins. Great in that role. But imo, not a #1 CB. And frankly, we didn't miss him when E.J. Gaines stepped in for him last year.

But I'd love to keep both.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Jenkins has been elite this year. His man coverage has been excellent. How often have we seen him draped on a receiver's back the instant after the ball hits his guy's hands? Or put a hand in late to break up a pass?

The knock about him taking risks simply doesn't apply this season. My concern, however, is will he regress to that kind of play when he has his big contract?

I'd like to see both guys back obviously but this is by far the biggest task the front office faces this offseason in terms of existing personnel.

Personally I would feel happier with Jenkins/Gaines starting as compared to Johnson/Gaines.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
On a slightly different note, whoever is coaching the secondary has done a brilliant job of developing these players, all of whom are draftees or UDFAs (excluding Barron who would be in the secondary if not for Tree's injury).

lockdnram21

Legend
No way im taking TRu over Janoris and I like Tru. He was decent yesterday but was a little lucky. Hes not a #1 cb. If we dont resign Janoris we will be in trouble because we will have all #2 and #3 cbs. Plus we dont even know how good Gaines will be after injury. If we dont resign Jenkins were picking Cb early

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
pretty sure it was last week or the week before when someone burned Jenkins side - don't know if its his fault or not but it always seems to be on his side

And like I said, this is going forward. If Jenkins wants to break the bank, I don't think we need to over pay him. Johnson/Gaines is fine by me[/QUOTE

Lol that was Roberson Jenkins had a concussion that game and wasn't on the field as soon as he left the game that's when we got lit up. We have enough money to sign them both

Big Willie

Starter
If EJ Gaines's foot is healthy, I would take Trumaine and let JJ go on to greener pastures because I think he wants "shutdown corner" type money. IMO neither Tru or JJ are elite and I don't want to see the Rams over pay for JJ just because we drafted him. Plus, I have said this before and I stand by it.... I don't trust JJ to play at the highest level when he is no playing for a contract.

A55VA6

Legend
Jenkins would be my priority. I think this board overrates Tru because people don't like Jenkins's style of play and attitude.

Tru is a smart player and a quality CB. But he's not as good as Jenkins. He's never played like Jenkins is this year and Tru gets injured a lot. Both guys have excellent ball-skills but Janoris has better pure cover skills and he allows us to scheme in a way that Tru doesn't.

Janoris has far more deep speed which allows the Rams to help Tru out on deeper routes. He doesn't have the same ability to play on an island that Janoris does. Janoris gambles and gets beat...yes. But he also can take a #1 WR out of the game in a way that Tru can't. And Janoris hasn't really been gambling much this year.

Yes, Tru played well today against Calvin...but he also got lucky a couple times. Calvin beat him badly on a first half pass and was wide open with only McLeod between him and the end-zone and Stafford over-threw him. Stafford missed him a couple other times today as well.

Tru is at his best as the #2 CB behind Jenkins. Great in that role. But imo, not a #1 CB. And frankly, we didn't miss him when E.J. Gaines stepped in for him last year.

But I'd love to keep both.
Completely agree. Tru is a great #2.

Here's an impressive stat:

View: https://twitter.com/ccpearce/status/676445155927420928

Lesson

Oh, really?
D FA priorities....
JJ, Johnson, Barron, Fairley.

As bad as this sounds, I'm OK with letting one of JJ/Tru walking. I think people are forgetting how well Gaines played last year.

I think Barron must be kept. He's played great here.