Johnson and Rapp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Imho Rapp will Never live up to where he was drafted in any scheme.

And I'll be more than happy to eat my crow pie if he proves me wrong.

Well, we'll add this one to the list next to the people who wrote off Darrell Henderson after our scrimmage.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

He lived up to his draft status his rookie season.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
He lived up to his draft status his rookie season.
So now players can live up to being a 2nd round pick in a Rookie season ,Cool.

Did we Win a Playoff game, NFC West or Superbowl, I forget.lol

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Lack of a pass rush or blitzing combined with Allen scrambling and breaking tackles is more likely the problem. Corners can't cover that long. In zone it can get confusing ones receivers are done running recognizable routes and start to improvise.

Its a good warm up for when they play Sheattle

Ok?

eaf80605c6de9bf4f65cf7e448fab815dd0bd04b.gifv

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm gonna give him a chance to make adjustments.
I'm giving Staley a few weeks to see if he can learn from his mistakes. It's frustrating. But I am giving the guy a chance unless he starts repeating the same mistakes, which I have seen before at the NFL level.
Yeah... Not a fan of this kind of talk. None of us are giving or taking anything.

Maybe you didn't mean it the way it comes off to me. But we're fans. We don't have any kind of sway like that and it just seems silly when fans talk like we do or that they'll start banging on the coaches if they don't do what we expect.

I wont be happy if the D doesn't improve, but I also won't be in coach bashing mode if our first year DC can't field a top defense because possibly some of his players don't fit his scheme.

He has shown the ability to adjust his defense as the game goes on. I think that shows some promise.

I want to win every game. I want my teams to win every game. But that's just not reasonable to expect. Bad match ups happen. Bad games happen. Coaching decisions that trump other moves and decisions happen. Poor execution happens.

I think most people expected all that and then we started the season with two pretty good showings, two great defensive second halfs, pretty good O-line play, a high scoring offense, and the expectation level shot up.

We've got a good - not great team IMO. We are moving in the right direction. This team is pretty fun to watch and frustrating too. Is what it is.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Well, we'll add this one to the list next to the people who wrote off Darrell Henderson after our scrimmage.
Well I didn't write him off at all..I'm pretty sure I called him an excellent tackler , just over drafted and weak in coverage for were he was drafted it's just mho..

He IS the highest safety drafted since Adam A, so maybe it's my bad that I have very high expectations of him...

oldnotdead

Legend
So now players can live up to being a 2nd round pick in a Rookie season ,Cool.

Did we Win a Playoff game, NFC West or Superbowl, I forget.lol

So you blaming that on Rapp? They had zero run attack and an o-line in complete disarray. Zuerlein misses crucial makable kicks. None of that is factored in? Last year as a rookie Rapp had 62 solo tackles, 38 combined with 3 TFL. He ranked #3 on the defense. So for those that think he didn't validate his drafting, frankly that's a head shaker. Just a matter of fans having short memories. Oh, BTW that was done while only starting 10 games. His benching and subsequent poorer play this year is proof of what I'm saying that Staley's defense simply doesn't play to his player's strengths.

I've always been consistent in my judgment that JJ is at best a SS. He simply lacks the range. Staley looks to be using a Tampa 2 variation which means he doesn't have to cover as much ground. Yet he's still been absent much of the time. Staley is trying to model his scheme apparently upon the Seattle Legion of Boom type of defense. But he lacks the players for that. This defense was built to play a lockdown man coverage scheme. Staley simply doesn't use that and it's clear from how poorly they played during the rare times he uses it that he's doing a poor job of coaching. Maybe Staley is a great guy personally. But it's clear he's overmatched as a DC and not ready for prime time.

I still believe that the Rams have the players to have a very good 4 man pass rush if Staley simply uses them properly. His alignments IMO are suspect regardless of the down and distance. Too many times he has his NT in a 0T which is a two-gap technique when his DT and DE are playing one gap. That means there is little inside pressure as they can easily double or triple-team AD taking him out on many plays. His outside rushers are playing contain first with pressure second. That along with no inside pressure allows the QB time to make his throws and as pointed out by other posters, no secondary regardless of scheme can hold up that long.

When they did get pressure in the 4th quarter is when he turned his d-line and edges loose. But then Staley didn't provide flat coverage behind them allowing Allen to scramble. Where is Ebukam most plays? 5-10 yards off the LOS which is stupid. Staley's idiotic scheme has taken a true impact player like Ebukam and turned him into a JAG in 3 games. Staley is like a teenager who is making up his own scheme trying to fit his players into it regardless of their strengths and weaknesses.

Murray is going to go crazy because he's going to have multiple options wide open in the flats and in the first 5-7 yds.

All three, Rapp, Fuller, and JJ are SS not FS in terms of their abilities. The only legit FS is Burgess as he's the only one with the range to play a single high. But with Staley's double high scheme he can get away with starting two SS. I will emphasize it again. Staley's defense won't dominate even though he's got the players. He will allow teams to hang around and stay in the game. It's why the season rests on the offense, not the defense which will IMO end up ranked middle of the road despite having better talent than that. One more point. Wade got fired for producing a mediocre level defense which ended up ranked 13th. That is exactly the same ranking as Staley so far. Staley thus far is no upgrade. IMO with Wade, the Rams beat the Buffs last week.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
So you blaming that on Rapp? They had zero run attack and an o-line in complete disarray. Zuerlein misses crucial makable kicks. None of that is factored in? Last year as a rookie Rapp had 62 solo tackles, 38 combined with 3 TFL. He ranked #3 on the defense. So for those that think he didn't validate his drafting, frankly that's a head shaker. Just a matter of fans having short memories. Oh, BTW that was done while only starting 10 games. His benching and subsequent poorer play this year is proof of what I'm saying that Staley's defense simply doesn't play to his player's strengths.

I've always been consistent in my judgment that JJ is at best a SS. He simply lacks the range. Staley looks to be using a Tampa 2 variation which means he doesn't have to cover as much ground. Yet he's still been absent much of the time. Staley is trying to model his scheme apparently upon the Seattle Legion of Boom type of defense. But he lacks the players for that. This defense was built to play a lockdown man coverage scheme. Staley simply doesn't use that and it's clear from how poorly they played during the rare times he uses it that he's doing a poor job of coaching. Maybe Staley is a great guy personally. But it's clear he's overmatched as a DC and not ready for prime time.

I still believe that the Rams have the players to have a very good 4 man pass rush if Staley simply uses them properly. His alignments IMO are suspect regardless of the down and distance. Too many times he has his NT in a 0T which is a two-gap technique when his DT and DE are playing one gap. That means there is little inside pressure as they can easily double or triple-team AD taking him out on many plays. His outside rushers are playing contain first with pressure second. That along with no inside pressure allows the QB time to make his throws and as pointed out by other posters, no secondary regardless of scheme can hold up that long.

When they did get pressure in the 4th quarter is when he turned his d-line and edges loose. But then Staley didn't provide flat coverage behind them allowing Allen to scramble. Where is Ebukam most plays? 5-10 yards off the LOS which is stupid. Staley's idiotic scheme has taken a true impact player like Ebukam and turned him into a JAG in 3 games. Staley is like a teenager who is making up his own scheme trying to fit his players into it regardless of their strengths and weaknesses.

Murray is going to go crazy because he's going to have multiple options wide open in the flats and in the first 5-7 yds.

All three, Rapp, Fuller, and JJ are SS not FS in terms of their abilities. The only legit FS is Burgess as he's the only one with the range to play a single high. But with Staley's double high scheme he can get away with starting two SS. I will emphasize it again. Staley's defense won't dominate even though he's got the players. He will allow teams to hang around and stay in the game. It's why the season rests on the offense, not the defense which will IMO end up ranked middle of the road despite having better talent than that. One more point. Wade got fired for producing a mediocre level defense which ended up ranked 13th. That is exactly the same ranking as Staley so far. Staley thus far is no upgrade. IMO with Wade, the Rams beat the Buffs last week.
So are you trying to tell me a Player can prove his worth in his 1st year ??? Are you Fing kidding me.

Dude there's many many here that know me from the other board,do yourself a favor and stay away from.me

I don't want to get into your negative BS,your lack of knowledge etc etc.

When It comes to you, I'm the Wrong Guy to Fu## With.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
So are you trying to tell me a Player can prove his worth in his 1st year ??? Are you Fing kidding me.

Dude there's many many here that know me from the other board,do yourself a favor and stay away from.me

You could just hit the ignore button my guy.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

watch out tuff guy here lol

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
watch out tuff guy here lol
I not a tuff guy lol.

I've never been that rude to anyone here.

It's just he post a thousands of words of Negatives, with the Knowledge of a 2 year old.

Imho I no longer want to belittle anyone. But if someone pushes me I can.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I not a tuff guy lol.

I've never been that rude to anyone here.

It's just he post a thousands of words of Negatives, with the Knowledge of a 2 year old.

Imho I no longer want to belittle anyone. But if someone pushes me I can.

Just messing bro, I meant to due that in blue font

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
@Dz1 the ignore button is best for those situations. All you have to do is put the mouse on the name of the person you want to ignore on the left side of their post. There's an ignore button on the bottom next to the follow button. Press it.

It's better to do that than personal attacks; the latter isn't allowed on this forum.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Strong words there. I think there's a good chance you'll be wrong too.

Living up to being a round 2 pick isn't the highest ceiling. He just needs to be a solid starter to do that. Now if you said he will never be a Pro Bowler that would be more reasonable.

I don't think he is a fit with this scheme. But he is smart, dutiful, and athletic with natural tackling and pursuit skills. So maybe he picks up things and becomes good in this scheme down the road. And I am fine with that. I just wish tgey would give him a shot at wilb.

My question last week about whether the Rams may trade him I still think is possible. But that requires a team who is a fit and has a need and them making a good offer. So it looks like they will let him try to settle in as a sub type and reevaluate after the season.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Strong words there. I think there's a good chance you'll be wrong too.

Living up to being a round 2 pick isn't the highest ceiling. He just needs to be a solid starter to do that. Now if you said he will never be a Pro Bowler that would be more reasonable.

I don't think he is a fit with this scheme. But he is smart, dutiful, and athletic with natural tackling and pursuit skills. So maybe he picks up things and becomes good in this scheme down the road. And I am fine with that. I just wish tgey would give him a shot at wilb.

My question last week about whether the Rams may trade him I still think is possible. But that requires a team who is a fit and has a need and them making a good offer. So it looks like they will let him try to settle in as a sub type and reevaluate after the season.
I did post he was an excellent tackler and I also posted.

Something like Maybe my expectations are maybe a little too high. My Bad.

Something like that.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
They should just have Rapp be more of a spy. Play the curl routes/run plays. His tackling is good when he is setup.

TexasRam

Legend
Yeah... Not a fan of this kind of talk. None of us are giving or taking anything.

Maybe you didn't mean it the way it comes off to me. But we're fans. We don't have any kind of sway like that and it just seems silly when fans talk like we do or that they'll start banging on the coaches if they don't do what we expect.

Fans pay the bills. Coaches and players get run out of town all the time when the fan base gets impatient when a performance is piss poor over a reasonable amount of time.

Don't get me wrong I am not one to grab a pitchfork after a few bad games. Staley needs to be given a chance and in fact after watching his presser I feel a lot better. He admitted he needs to consider sending 5 or even 6 guys in that situation and mentioned he might do that in future games. So we will see.

But I have watched this game for over 40 years and there are many many coaches that cannot make it at this level. It's often because they are stubborn in their scheme or unable to adapt to in game developments. I've seen Rams coaches and hundreds of coaches stubbornly stick to failed schemes and given more time then needed, keeping their teams in the pit for years.

As a fan I reserve the right to complain when I feel like it. I'm one of many that pays their salary, and frankly when enough fans voice their opinion because a coach or player is sucking, then those in power will feel it and have to address the situation.

That's why it's called the NFL. It's the Not for long league.

Having said that I like Staley and am willing to give him time to make corrections.

The reality is at the post conferences the coaches and players are asked these exact same questions regarding questionable decisions, so coaches are being held accountable after each game and the fan base concerns are being raised real time.

This type of talk is happening whether one fan likes it or not and the entire Rams organization is very aware of it.