Johnson and Rapp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Are these guys struggling with the new scheme? It seems both were studs last year and appear to be struggling this season. Do they turn it around?

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Rapp got beat a lot last year. JJ wasn’t in on the big 3rd play.
we should really just run JJ and fuller .

Ram65

Legend
Actually, JJ was struggling last year before he injured. He dropped to 53.5 PPF grade from 84.1 and 82.9 the previous two years. Currently, he is at 64 for the first three games.

Rapp had a 64.0 grade last year and only a 53.5 grade so far this year.

I'm not saying that PPF knows all. They both make plays that get noticed while I think poor play is harder to detect while viewing on TV. There have been lapses in coverage. I really don't look at their play as much as other positions. They are both box safeties which is not ideal for both to be on the field at the same time as safeties. Let's see what happens as they are in a new system with some holes showing all around the defense.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Actually, JJ was struggling last year before he injured. He dropped to 53.5 PPF grade from 84.1 and 82.9 the previous two years. Currently, he is at 64 for the first three games.

I'm not saying that PPF knows all. They both make plays that get noticed while I think poor play is harder to detect while viewing on TV. There have been lapses in coverage. I really don't look at their play as much as other positions. They are both box safeties which is not ideal for both to be on the field at the same time as safeties. Let's see what happens as they are in a new system with some holes showing all around the defense.
I remember Rapp getting called out a lot in bucs game. Idk. Either they played horrible Sunday. Whoever was in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Buffalo stressed the secondary too. Most OLs won't handle our DL the way they did. Most QBs won't take 3 fucking players or AD having a good grip of him to get him down. There were quite a few plays where our DBs had to scramble drill and that's tough. Truth is we got burnt by an excellent young QB on some plays and that shit happens in the NFL.

Early on there were bad comms issues across the board tbh. Rapp & Long were both involved in that big throw down the sideline for example where the WR got behind the defense. I think it was Rapp at fault and that makes sense but not sure. What I am sure of is that most DBs back there had bad days. Williams probably played the best but he had the 4th down call so yeah.

Either way fans who expected Staley to field a Super Bowl defense in his first year with a roster that has most of its talent in the secondary and a cobbled together front seven need to change their expectations. We're gonna have ups and downs because we don't have a front seven with guys who can win snap to snap consistently.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I haven't watched Rapp enough individually and he's made some plays but I'm not sure he's the best way to go. I'd love to see Fuller get some playing time over him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I once new a Fuller who never would Rapp his Johnson. Safety matters, ya know...

MachS

Hall of Fame
Rapp has not been good in coverage thus far in his NFL career. He's a good tackler but gets picked on in coverage. Not sure whats wrong with JJ he just doesn't seem the same and hasn't flashed. Wonder if he's not going 100% given his contract situation. Doesn't seem like he's that type of guy but you never know.

oldnotdead

Legend
I know people don't believe me but the scheme is hugely important. Last year Rapp had an outstanding year for a rookie DB. But instead of building on that year he's been benched. He's starting all over again and it's different coming off the bench into a game. That said to even think of giving up on him after one year doesn't make sense. Johnson is the one who won't be on the team next year. The starting safeties as I see it should be Fuller and Rapp or Burgess. Don't forget Burgess can also play CB.

Johnson simply doesn't have the range to play FS. He's late more times than he's actually making a play. Staley has a very good secondary right now but his scheme doesn't play to the strengths of his players. A good coordinator doesn't try to fit players into his scheme, he builds his scheme around the strengths of the players he has. Why do you think AD disappears so much in games in ways he never has? Go ahead and break his scheme down for the secondary and you will see the results. This is all about poor coaching. His players were not prepared that is why there was confusion among them. He's got the best press-man coverage CB in the NFL and does he use him like one? Not from what I've seen.

That secondary was pathetic because it was obvious they didn't know what they were doing and it showed. These players all simultaneously forgot how to play? Or perhaps they simply weren't prepared to play by their DC.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't watched Rapp enough individually and he's made some plays but I'm not sure he's the best way to go. I'd love to sell Fuller get some playing time over him.

i don't understand this post. fuller is the starting free safety. the only reason rapp was out there so often was due to the injury fuller suffered early in the game.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
i don't understand this post. fuller is the starting free safety. the only reason rapp was out there so often was due to the injury fuller suffered early in the game.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought but JJ3 is FS and Fuller was SS.

JJ great value pick.. Fuller looking like a Great Value Pick.Rapp imho is a SS, cover skills o no, tackling excellent but to light of a body weight not to get injured,jmho Young man was way over drafted.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I disagree that JJ is a box safety. He can do a bit of everything. Only area where I don't really love him is single-high.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought but JJ3 is FS and Fuller was SS.

JJ great value pick.. Fuller looking like a Great Value Pick.Rapp imho is a SS, cover skills o no, tackling excellent but to light of a body weight not to get injured,jmho Young man was way over drafted.

Strongly disagree on Rapp. Just don't know that he fits this scheme well. He's a box safety who specializes in covering the slot and TEs. Great chess piece in the right scheme. Don't know that Staley's scheme will make full use of that skill-set.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Staley has a very good secondary right now but his scheme doesn't play to the strengths of his players. A good coordinator doesn't try to fit players into his scheme, he builds his scheme around the strengths of the players he has. Why do you think AD disappears so much in games in ways he never has? Go ahead and break his scheme down for the secondary and you will see the results. This is all about poor coaching. His players were not prepared that is why there was confusion among them. He's got the best press-man coverage CB in the NFL and does he use him like one? Not from what I've seen.

Truth!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I didn't mean to start this thread so the players or the coaches could get lambasted. I was just wondering what people thought as to if scheme was playing a major roll in performance on the field? Do you think this pans out as everybody learns more under the scheme or is it not a fit for Rapp and Johnson as to what they are being asked to do?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I know people don't believe me but the scheme is hugely important. Last year Rapp had an outstanding year for a rookie DB.
Everybody is well aware that scheme is important old.

Rapp did play well and everyone knows it was because he was drafted to support the run and cover in man in Wade's defense. But you don't make your hire of DC based on your safety's strengths. You (and McVay did) make your hire to bring in the scheme you want and someone you think can give you the defense you want.

You may think Fangio's system is garbage. But McVay targeted it and brought in Fangio's boy because he fucking hates it. And Shanahan also hates it btw. So just a suggestion that maybe those two guys know a thing or two when it comes to scheme.
:beer2::cool:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe they just got got?

Lack of a pass rush or blitzing combined with Allen scrambling and breaking tackles is more likely the problem. Corners can't cover that long. In zone it can get confusing ones receivers are done running recognizable routes and start to improvise.

Its a good warm up for when they play Sheattle

TexasRam

Legend
It's funny but if Burgess doesn't slip or if Fuller didn't get hurt in Q1 and we win the Bills game people might be singing Staley's praise.

People would point out we stuffed Buffalo in the second half to the tune of 29-7.

People would point out that we were giving up 21 ppg after facing two of the top offenses in Football.

21 ppg would put our defense at #10 defense in the NFL.

Right now our defense is #13.

Were Rapp and JJ playing out of position in the Buffalo game after the Fuller injury? I believe so.

Is Hill struggling big time in the slot? Yes, big time. But I expect Staley to try some tweaks and possibly make a change if needed.

Do we lack edge pass rushers? Yes! And my beef with Staley is he didn't draw up some sort of Blitz. But this was his first fail game on defense in my book. I'm gonna give him a chance to make adjustments.

Do coaches change their scheme year to year based on Personnel? Of course not. What they do is find players to fit their scheme. They do modify or tweak it to an extent. But the fact that we can't rush the passer is going to cause any scheme to fail.

I'm giving Staley a few weeks to see if he can learn from his mistakes. It's frustrating. But I am giving the guy a chance unless he starts repeating the same mistakes, which I have seen before at the NFL level.

As of now Staley is 2-1 in my book. 2 games his defense played well given their competition and talent level. 1 game they did not.

Don't forget coaches have bad games. Even Mcvay called a few bad games last year, along with every other NFL coach.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I disagree that JJ is a box safety. He can do a bit of everything. Only area where I don't really love him is single-high.

Strongly disagree on Rapp. Just don't know that he fits this scheme well. He's a box safety who specializes in covering the slot and TEs. Great chess piece in the right scheme. Don't know that Staley's scheme will make full use of that skill-set.
Imho Rapp will Never live up to where he was drafted in any scheme.

And I'll be more than happy to eat my crow pie if he proves me wrong.