John Johnson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
We have the most talented secondary in the NFl bar none. But they are a mess
scheme wise and technique wise.

The way Kris Richard coaches the legion of Boom and how he now coaches the Dallas secondary is what we need.

The way the Cowboys and Seahawks guys use hand technique to get away with holding WR’s is how defense can stop offenses in today’s NFL.

What Wade is coaching our guys, I have no idea.

Name
Victor
Lol I have to agree. Grand PA is done. He failed with the rams. In the off season Fire him and also fire d line, linebackers AND secondary coach. This defense performance is not acceptable for the talent they have. It is on the coaches

The way Kris Richard coaches the legion of Boom and how he now coaches the Dallas secondary is what we need.

The way the Cowboys and Seahawks guys use hand technique to get away with holding WR’s is how defense can stop offenses in today’s NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, we were doing that and getting nailed with defensive holding calls. But they run very different schemes. And yes, that makes a huge difference.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Our secondary coach Aubrey Pleasant is HIGHLY regarded in league circles; could see him
Getting bites for D coordinator roles.. I don’t think we see much change in the staff, although I’d love to hire Wauffle back as DLine coach.

Let’s see how we can continue to upgrade our D to fit more of what Wade is looking for. Gonna be a lot of new starters next year me thinks.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Our secondary coach is HIGHLY regarded in league circles; could see him
Getting bites for D coordinator roles.. I don’t think we see much change in the staff, although I’d love to hire Wauffle back as DLine coach.

Let’s see how we can continue to upgrade our D to fit more of what Wade is looking for. Gonna be a lot of new starters next year me thinks.
ILB has to be number one priority.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams John Johnson III continues under the radar -- but probably not for long
Lindsey ThiryESPN

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/po...ues-under-the-radar-but-probably-not-for-long

Rams second-year defensive back John Johnson III (43) has a team-best four interceptions and ranks second on the team with 111 tackles. Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- He was overlooked coming out of college two years ago and again earlier this month when Pro Bowl rosters were announced.But if safety John Johnson III continues at his current pace, it's unlikely that the Los Angeles Rams safety will remain under the radar much longer."He's got all the traits and characteristics that you're looking for," Rams coach Sean McVay said of the second-year pro from Boston College. "You're really not limited in any way that you can utilize a player of his versatility."

In a crowded secondary that features All-Pro cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters and safety Lamarcus Joyner, who is playing this season on the franchise tag, it's Johnson who has a team-best four interceptions and whose 111 tackles rank second to inside linebacker Cory Littleton's 121 for the NFC West champions."His tackling is so outstanding. Open field, around the ball, around the line of scrimmage, those kinds of things," defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "He's learned more and more about what to do in different areas that he plays."

In his 3-4 scheme, Phillips has utilized the 6-foot, 209-pound Johnson near the line of scrimmage and deep in coverage. Johnson can act like a linebacker, strong safety or free safety.The Rams selected Johnson in the third round with the 91st overall pick. At Boston College, Johnson played each position in the secondary, and in four seasons, he intercepted six passes while deflecting 14 more, had 2.5 sacks and forced two fumbles.But he was the 10th safety taken in the 2017 draft. And that's something he won't soon forget.

"I just feel like the school I came from gets overlooked a little bit," Johnson said. "And I didn't run the fastest time at the combine, so I think I dropped a little bit there, but other than that, I'm not sure. I'm happy I came here, though."
Johnson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds, which would hardly prove indicative of where he measured among defensive backs in his class. This season, Johnson leads the group in tackles and ranks third in interceptions."What's as impressive as anything is just his football IQ," McVay said. "He's got great recognition."

Last season, coaches grew confident enough in Johnson's development that he was promoted to starter in Week 5, and the team released veteran Maurice Alexander a day later. Johnson finished his rookie season with 71 tackles and an interception.This season, Johnson has done everything possible to stand out. He bleached his hair blond, then dyed it green. But it's his play on the field that has turned him into a burgeoning star."It's just reps," Johnson said. "The game is slowing down."

Before the season, Johnson made a point to improve his anticipation. He once studied film for the sake of studying, but he has since narrowed his focus."I would study, but I didn't even know what I was looking at, so I would say it's more purposeful studying, what teams based on their personnel," Johnson said. "If they don't have a fast guy, they're not going to run certain plays where they need a fast guy to run, so just being around the game is slowing down." Joyner, a fifth-year pro and Johnson's quieter counterpart in the secondary, said Johnson's confidence has noticeably grown since last season."There's no hesitation in his game," Joyner said. "He's just diagnosing the formation and just great film study. He's a very intelligent player."

Johnson ranks second among all defensive backs in tackles and is tied for fifth in interceptions but did not earn recognition from Pro Bowl voters (a combination of fans, players and coaches).As Johnson strives to stand out, coaches and teammates have expressed minimal concern about his lack of notoriety outside the team facility.
"He'll get there," Aqib Talib, a 32-year-old veteran who has been selected to six Pro Bowls, said of the barely 23-year-old Johnson.When asked what Johnson needs to do to gain recognition around the league, Phillips offered a practical solution."They need to watch film," Phillips said. "I love my players certainly, but I try to be realistic -- and I think he's a good football player."

Johnson had another idea."Just maybe score," he said. "You know offensive players. They touch the ball a lot, and they score, so I mean, that's the only way for a defensive player to get love. I mean, I got 100-plus tackles, but those go unnoticed, so just scoring. I haven't really done that, so I'll try to get it done."

bluecoconuts

Legend
He quickly became one of my favorite players, both on and off the field. Excited for his continued development.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There are basically three players that would off limits in terms of dumping this off season on D.
Donald, Johnson and Littleton.
The first two for what they do and Littleton because of potential.

I'd add Fowler to that list.

FYI Fowler is 24 and Littleton is 25. I'd like to see them stick around for several more years.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Johnson is someone you'd really like to keep. I think we can replace joyner with a better cover FS in either the draft or FA. I just wouldn't spend all our cap on a guy that has kind of disappeared this season. He did make a couple of nice plays in the eagles game tho.
Safteys need to be bigger. The whole D needs to be bigger.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our secondary coach Aubrey Pleasant is HIGHLY regarded in league circles; could see him Getting bites for D coordinator roles..

He'd better hope so, because otherwise he might find himself out of a job. The general dysfunction in our secondary goes quite deep. Undoubtedly it's been related to losing our CB1, and our CB2 not being up to snuff not to mention freelancing, but there have been a lot of other issues with the safeties and the remainder of the DBs that might put our highly regarded secondary coach in some hot water. Hard to say, since we obviously don't know what the discourse has been between him and Wade as the season has gone on.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
How in the Hell did Johnson get over looked in the team awards and not win the Rams rookie of the year? Someone answer that one for me, he has been one of the Rams best defenders.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How in the Hell did Johnson get over looked in the team awards and not win the Rams rookie of the year? Someone answer that one for me, he has been one of the Rams best defenders.

You realize he's not a rookie, right?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Safteys need to be bigger. The whole D needs to be bigger.
I would tend to agree or if they remain dinky in 2019 then the defense needs to fly to the ball & tackle & hit better, which they have not done.I would expect that the 2019 defense to remain close in size that it is currently.

The DL might even get smaller {Not Good}. I would guesstimate that the John Franklin-Myer 6-4 290 will replace Brockers 6-5 305 @ DE 5 tech post. I expect Brockers to be inserted into the Suh 6-4 315 NT post. Donald @ 6ft 280 to be the same. That's down some 25 lbs in the starters. The reserve DL'ers might go this way Morgan Fox @ 6-3 275 back up JFM. Sebastian Joseph-Day @ 6-4 310 replaces Westbrooks @ 6-4 290 & Smart remains the same 6-1 295. Reserves down approx 5 lbs.

LB'ers-Wade stands a good chance to gain a few Lbs. Littleton 6-3 230 will move into Barron's 6-2 230 weakside ILB post. ER Ebukam 6-3 245 stays. Kiser 5-11 245 has a good opportunity to start @ MLB'er to add some 15 lbs to that post. The SSER post remains a question still if Fowler is worth a long-term big contract since he will be a UFA. With so many teams looking to purchase big pass rushers in this off season, he stands to get a nice payday elsewhere. If he does then Rams will get at least a fourth-round compensatory pick for him in 2020. Okoronkwo would be the leading prospect to replace Fowler & is the same LB's. ER reserves same but 2 ILB'ers will be needed.

Rams will need to replace two very small CB's in Sheilds @178 Lbs & Hill @181lbs. No ideal if they will retain corners Hatfield @ 178lbs & Peterson @ 183lbs. Joyner @ 191lbs is the only safety they will need to replace. The entire DB is small.

dang

Legend
The Rams Run Defense will not improve unless the bring in a runstuffing NT (perhaps a beefed up Brockers??) and ILB. To maximize their pass rush I would keep Fowler but they need to find another Edge Rusher to complement him (perhaps Okoronkwo).

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
You realize he's not a rookie, right?

I guess that explains it, for some reason I thought the Rams used one of their 3rd round picks on him last year. Thanks for clearing that up for me, boy do I feel dumb.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Johnson has been superb for us... I see him as a long term leader for our defense....in this short time he's really turned into a solid safety..

also his versatility gives us some options moving forward.... assuming we move on from Joyner...we could replace him either a SS or a FS because Johnson could move to FS and be even better than he's been at SS...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnson has been superb for us... I see him as a long term leader for our defense....in this short time he's really turned into a solid safety..

also his versatility gives us some options moving forward.... assuming we move on from Joyner...we could replace him either a SS or a FS because Johnson could move to FS and be even better than he's been at SS...

Just want to point out that Wade doesn't use a FS and SS. He expects both safeties to do it all. I'm nitpicking, but I think a lot of people are expecting us to go one direction or another this offseason. I expect we'll get a jack of all trades, master of none type at safety to replace Joyner.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just want to point out that Wade doesn't use a FS and SS. He expects both safeties to do it all. I'm nitpicking, but I think a lot of people are expecting us to go one direction or another this offseason. I expect we'll get a jack of all trades, master of none type at safety to replace Joyner.
Yes, that was one of the skills that LJ displayed since in college. He is one serious versatile DB. He did play well in 2017 in the Wade safety position. This season no. He did put on close to 10 lbs since early last season too.

This is one of the reasons that we do not see safety Marqui Christian playing a lot of safety in the standard base defense. MC is not what you want stuck having to perform the high safety duties in a passing play. MC usually when on the field is the 3rd safety assigned a duty up close to the LOS or in relief of ILB Mark Barron on passing downs.

Safety Blake Countess is more versatile in the base D. Able to play high safety but he is limited due to his short size too. Looks like he will start today.

Last edited: