John Clayton: Gregg Williams' Rams D to Wreak Absolute Havoc

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN’s John Clayton expects Gregg Williams’ Rams defense to wreak absolute havoc. He talks with Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr. Clayton says Gregg Williams is one of the best acquisitions of the off season in the entire NFL. He says Aaron Donald might get 10 sacks as a rookie.

Listen to Clayton Talk Rams Defense
(Clayton’s Rams Comments Start at 5:30)

wrstdude

Rookie
Man I hope so much for Donald to get 10 sacks as a rook. If this D comes out and dominates AND stays healthy, I don't see how the Rams don't make the playoffs.

STLINI

UDFA
And couple that with what is hopefully a big time clock chewing run game, it should only help the D that much more. What's really amazing when you think about it is all the sacks that this team has had without really being in the lead all that much. With what is hopefully a more complete offense now, I really can't wait to see what the possibilities are.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
So excited to see what this D can produce this year.. Do we even have to blitz though? I mean with our front four, i imagine we could put enough pressure on the QB without an extra rusher...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I love listening to interviews with the football computer. John Clayton is the man.

One of, if not, the most intelligent football minds in the mainstream media.

Athos

Legend
I think he turns Olgetree into one of the best young LBs in the game.

I expect Alec to explode. Not just because of Williams, but the addiction of the Donald freight train.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler

I expect Alec to explode. Not just because of Williams, but the addiction of the Donald freight train.

Likewise McDonald, He'll be a beast in the secondary

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
At the very least, he'll discipline our D. No missed tackles, no missed reads etc. He's going to have our team prepared, and that's already a huge improvement over Walton. Combine that with his genius playcalling and use of personnel, and we will have a monster defense.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

That is certainly going to be hard to block. Who do opposing teams choose to block one on one? Quinn? Brockers? Donald? Long? The Tree?

This is going to be fun to watch!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's such a shame that we had to lose out on having Williams coach our D the last 2 years. The staff Fish wanted from the start is FINALLY in place.

FINALLY

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the 'hawks' fans are their '12th man', Gregg Williams is our 12th man on Defense! And I firmly believe the Rams will make everyone forget about the 'Steel Curtin' and the '85 Bears! Rams WILL get the NFL record in Sacks, Fewest rushing yards allowed, Passing yards allowed, and Fewest points allowed!(y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams drafted Donald, Joyner, Alexander & Gaines, added underrated DT Carrington. They all look like assaulters & attackers. We know that Jenkins has the ability to pick 6 quick, Trumaine is no slouch either in INT's plus LB'er Alec Ogletree can conjure up takeaways easy...

Ram offense has been poor to middle of the road for close to a decade now...maybe the new Ram DC will make his Ram defense the most offensive disrupting defense for the entire NFL not seen in a long time, 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears or even better Never Seen Before!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's such a shame that we had to lose out on having Williams coach our D the last 2 years. The staff Fish wanted from the start is FINALLY in place.

FINALLY

Yeah I think you have a point but I also think the Bounty thing will let us keep him longer, people will want to see how the memory fades cuz he was going to get another HC shot, he didn't stink out loud in Buffalo, and I like his having such a young group to start out with ,maybe if he started THEN we'd have shown better the last two years at the expense of as many of 4 future years.
I agree glad Fish has his staff as he wants it in place,some days he could just turn the practice over to these coaches with a practice plan on paper and go golfing like you or I would if we that kind of staff:D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah I think you have a point but I also think the Bounty thing will let us keep him longer, people will want to see how the memory fades cuz he was going to get another HC shot, he didn't stink out loud in Buffalo, and I like his having such a young group to start out with ,maybe if he started THEN we'd have shown better the last two years at the expense of as many of 4 future years.
I agree glad Fish has his staff as he wants it in place,some days he could just turn the practice over to these coaches with a practice plan on paper and go golfing like you or I would if we that kind of staff:D

That first point is a good one.......it'll take some time for the stain to fade so that means we have him a year or two longer than maybe we would have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I keep speculating that this current Rams defense may have the best assemblage of talent that Williams has ever had to work with.

Am I wrong?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I keep speculating that this current Rams defense may have the best assemblage of talent that Williams has ever had to work with.

Am I wrong?

I think he himself has made that statement, and even if he didn't you'd be right. He's never had a front 7 this good.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
That first point is a good one.......it'll take some time for the stain to fade so that means we have him a year or two longer than maybe we would have.

I remember in his introductory media conference that he stated he wanted to retired in St Louis. Not sure if that means he has no aspirations to be a HC or if he likes HC Fisher and the reign he has been given over the defense.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

The longer we can keep him the better. Maybe this will work in our favor after all.