JJ3 to Browns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Tough loss, but I agree with keeping Floyd over JJ3. We have depth a S and are thin at OLB. But just as importantly, have almost no prime daft capital in the coming years. The Rams have proven adept at finding very good safeties in the mid-to-late rounds (although we will see if that continues with the off-season losses to that staff). So the odds are we can replace JJ3 to some degree, either internally or externally via the draft. Heck, JJ3 himself was a mid-range pick. I don't think the same can be said for Floyd. We have few internal options, and finding a high-calibre pass rusher at that point in the draft is exceeding rare. That position gets picked over early. So if we are going via Free Agency at OLB... why not take the guy who already knows your system?

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I'll miss JJ. I think the Rams defense will too. He's one of my facvorites as soon as he was drafted.

I wonder if Cleveland blew the other teams out of the water with their offer. They could use the leadership and I don't think JJ lets them down. But that would be a tough move for me, Southern California to Cleveland Ohio is my idea of going from the living room to the half bath under the stairwell.
Supposedly JJ turned down more money from some other team to play for Browns.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
And then JJ could sit on Fox's shoulders to play EDGE? Not following your logic here. ;)

I could play edge for the Rams next to Donald and get one sack through 16 games. At least half of one haha. Look at what Fowler did next to Donald versus what he did with the Falcons. Its no coincidence that Floyd has suddenly sprouted into this effective edge rusher after he had the opportunity to play next to #99.

I would've much rather kept JJ3 and depth in our interior line with Fox (who has shown he can get after the QB when 99 is taking a breather) and maybe drafted edge or maybe even bring Ebukam back. I dont particularly like leaving the safety position up to Rapp, Fuller, Burgess and Scott. JJ3 was a leader of our secondary. He even called the defensive plays. Can the same be said about Floyd on the defensive line? Not to mention, apparently Johnson would've been cheaper to keep around.

I like Floyd, but over JJ3? NAH

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Was this really a case of one vs the other? I agree, JJ is a fine player, but - considering our cap limitations - can we overcome his loss with players already on the roster? It appears McVay et al decided yes.

I don't think it gets us very far when people argue Floyd is an average player at arguably a more important position. He isn't and his market reflects that. He is a better player than Fowler, for one. Playing on the same line as AD has helped Floyd. Similarly, playing in the same secondary as Ramsey and Williams helped JJ. After all, this is a team sport, isn't it?

I hope JJ returns for his 3rd contract and plays his best football in a Rams jersey. In a situation similar to many Patriots players, who left, only to return

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Best of luck for JJ3, an absolute STEAL of a 3rd rounder. Happy to see this dude get paid...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend