Jim Thomas reports Rams have signed OT Max Starks.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Per his Twitter account and E$PN 101.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 41m
That was quick. Rams have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with veteran OT Max Starks.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...5-8dff-80be9198da08.html#.UjoxxjDl1D8.twitter

Rams agree to terms with OT Max Starks

After bringing veteran offensive tackle Max Starks in for a free-agent visit Tuesday, the Rams wasted little time in striking a deal. Starks and the Rams agreed to terms on a one-year deal, early Wednesday evening. He’s expected to be on the practice field Thursday at Rams Park.

Starks, 31, was a third-round draft pick by Pittsburgh in 2004 out of the University of Florida. He spent his first nine seasons with the Steelers, playing in 123 games with 96 starts. He spent his early years with Pittsburgh playing right tackle, before switching over to left tackle. Last season, Starks started all 16 games at left tackle for Pittsburgh.

The native of Orlando, Fla., won two Super Bowls with Pittsburgh. Starks, 6-8, 345, was in camp with the San Diego Chargers this summer, but was released after the preseason finale allowing three sacks against San Francisco in what he called one of the worst games of his career.

With right tackle Rodger Saffold expected to miss several weeks with a knee injury, the Rams are looking for help. They claimed offensive tackle Mike Person off waivers from Seattle on Monday, and Person practiced Wednesday.

Joe Barksdale will be the starter at right tackle Sunday when the Rams visit the Dallas Cowboys.

Follow Jim Thomas on twitter @jthom1

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Excellent. He can fill in both tackle spots (not that he'll have to).

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Excellent. He can fill in both tackle spots (not that he'll have to).

I agree.. A good signing. I have been kind of out of the loop the last 2 days and didn't know Saffold was going to be out for that long.. I know Barksdale will start in his place, but I think this adds some good and versatile depth as you suggested.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Are we assuming that either or both can play effectively at this point? :?!:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Isn't he like washed up?

let's pray he never sees the field.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I know that they need T depth now with Saffold down but I can't help but wonder if fish and Snead are thinking a switch to guard might revive him. Maybe he would do really well playing inside. He can really run block, might be better now not being outside in space? Like Williams.

Slappy967

Starter
I think it's a solid depth move and Coach Boudreaux can probably squeeze a few more miles out of those old tires. I am excited for Barksdale to potentially get an extended look with Saffold out and hope he plays himself into a starting position.

WvuIN02

Starter
Considering how bad the Steelers OL is this year, and Starks wasnt brought back...I would be concerned.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Thing is he was probably the best guy out there. So I guess were lucky to have him.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
If he provides decent depth at OT and can get some practice reps at OG to be an upgrade over Shelley Smith, I'll be happy. I'm not comfortable with Smith playing. I know he has looked adequate at times but is too small and can't get any push. I'm really hoping Starks can provide depth at both, especially with Williams hobbled right now

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some of my thoughts here on this addition...Starks was being used @ Left OT for the Chargers & was not tried @ ORT due to the presents of DJ Fluker having nailed down the ORT. I would not expect to see Starks playing any Left OT. I think Boudreau is looking @ this enormous large OT strictly @ Right OT spot. So I not thinking swing OT here. Been a while since Starks has played Right OT seems to fit him more than OLT at this time in his NFL life.

Nor am I thinking that Boudreau is considering any move of this large man inside @ the moment...I am not sure if Starks has ever played the OLG position where Chris Williams is ailing.

Rams have five interior OL'ers waiting in line for a chance to play OLG. Three of those OLG candidates available right now have played OLG in pre season & know how to do it .... Tim Barnes, Shelley Smith & Brandon Washington plus there's youngsters Mike Persons & Barrett Jones.

I like this addition very much.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With this signing Rams have to release somebody so I'm betting on Brandon Washington.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
den-the-coach said:
With this signing Rams have to release somebody so I'm betting on Brandon Washington.

Think Mike Persons has more value than Brandon Washington? Rams have four OT's now on the 53 master roster (Saffold, Barksdale, Long & Starks) Reserve OL'er Brandon Washington was the back up OT with Saffold out. I am thinking that the bigger Washington stays with Persons or Smith both under 300 pounds more @ risk.

Texans may want Shelley Smith back after loosing both their drafted rookie Ol'ers to injury now their best OL'er is out too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BonifayRam said:
Some of my thoughts here on this addition...Starks was being used @ Left OT for the Chargers & was not tried @ ORT due to the presents of DJ Fluker having nailed down the ORT. I would not expect to see Starks playing any Left OT. I think Boudreau is looking @ this enormous large OT strictly @ Right OT spot. So I not thinking swing OT here. Been a while since Starks has played Right OT seems to fit him more than OLT at this time in his NFL life.

Nor am I thinking that Boudreau is considering any move of this large man inside @ the moment...I am not sure if Starks has ever played the OLG position where Chris Williams is ailing.

Rams have five interior OL'ers waiting in line for a chance to play OLG. Three of those OLG candidates available right now have played OLG in pre season & know how to do it .... Tim Barnes, Shelley Smith & Brandon Washington plus there's youngsters Mike Persons & Barrett Jones.

you don't think alot of teams were in need of help at rt?

the rams scraped the bottom of the barrell. i hope you're right though with your enthusiastic approval of this addition.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
kurtfaulk said:
BonifayRam said:

you don't think alot of teams were in need of help at rt?

the rams scraped the bottom of the barrell. i hope you're right though with your enthusiastic approval of this addition.

As far as other teams needing help @ ORT question ....yes of course teams are looking for youthful good talent but when you review the injuries to OT's ongoing presently it is overwhelming injuries to Left OT's not ORT's. Something Starks has proved last yr & during this pre season he is not capable of doing any longer. But its interesting that ORT Barry Richardson did not get a call he must have done something really bad last season.

Now onto Barrel Pickens are just that...adding a veteran ORT @ this point of the year is a good ideal IMO kurtfaulk what ideal would you have suggested instead?

This is how I looked at it & maybe you can help put me right if I am just plain wrong here.....Fisher has two starters hurt now (Saffold & Williams). If they had gone into Sundays game without the addition of Starks ...Question for you is who would have backup'd the two starters @ OLT & ORT if they were injured?

Rams do not have any reserve OL'ers who have started any NFL games other than the 6-4 297 pound OG Shelley Smith. They do not have any reserve OL'ers who have played OLT even in pre season. If Long went out you would be forced to insert either Brandon Washington to protect Sam's blind side or you would flip Barksdale to OLT & insert Washington in @ ORT. :ahahah:

That's an UGLY situation to be in. If Chris Williams was fully healthy he might get by for a very short period of time @ ORT saving us the UGLY of Washington's play but he is not much better that Washington & with him limping now might be worse. Otherwise all Boudreau would have left is the newbie Mike Persons or what seems to scare most ROD'mers is having Barrett Jones take up a OT starting position.

Ram also took a look @ two other OT's. One was UDFA rookie R.J. Dill
Rutgers he is swing OT.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/r.j.-dill?id=2539979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/ ... id=2539979</a>

The other OT was Demetress Bell former Bill & Eagle left OT.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would be surprised if Starks is considered for anything but T. We are awefully thin with Saffold on the shelf for awhile. Best case Barksdale plays well and he and Long stay healthy and Starks is a vet backup on the sideline. But, I feel would feel better with Starks coming in an emergency than anyone else on the bench now....and it allows Dahl and Williams to stay at G in case of another injury. Good signing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
fearsomefour said:
I would be surprised if Starks is considered for anything but T. We are awefully thin with Saffold on the shelf for awhile. Best case Barksdale plays well and he and Long stay healthy and Starks is a vet backup on the sideline. But, I feel would feel better with Starks coming in an emergency than anyone else on the bench now....and it allows Dahl and Williams to stay at G in case of another injury. Good signing.

Its not like Starks has been sitting home on the couch for the last 6 months. He was on the market tour & ended up in SD for pre season this season. Starks has been Pittsburgh's best blocker up front in 2012. But his play @ Left OT was not good. He is now considered those immovable maulers who can not move well at all. He has been fighting his way back from reconstructive surgery most considered a career-ender for him. He has also had issues with a neck injury and weight problems. But it was that torn ACL that caused him to loose his post @ Left OT.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000247019/article/report-rams-agree-to-terms-with-ot-max-starks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... max-starks</a>

With Rodger Saffold sidelined by a knee injury, the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday added a touch of veteran help along the offensive line. The team agreed to terms with 31-year-old tackle Max Starks. Starks was available after the San Diego Chargers released him in August. He played in 16 games for the Steelers last season and 123 overall during his nine years in Pittsburgh. In St. Louis, he'll provide depth for a line missing its starting right tackle.

After also signing tackle Mike Person off waivers from Seattle earlier in the week, the Rams are bracing for Saffold to be out for a stretch. Starks graded poorly both as a run blocker and pass protector last season, according to Pro Football Focus, but it's nearly impossible to find anything resembling reliable offensive tackle help come late September.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 1h
Max Starks officially signed w/Rams. Rams release CB Quinton Pointer to make room for Starks on 53-man roster.

Has an NFL roster ever had 12 Olinemen on it?