Jim Thomas reports Rams have signed OT Max Starks.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
What does that say about the Rams FO view of what we have? 12 O-line players on the 53? :omg:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BonifayRam said:
Now onto Barrel Pickens are just that...adding a veteran ORT @ this point of the year is a good ideal IMO kurtfaulk what ideal would you have suggested instead?

nothing. they gotta do what they gotta do.

but that doesn't change my stance that I pray he doesn't see the field.

Speeps

Starter
WvuIN02 said:
Considering how bad the Steelers OL is this year, and Starks wasnt brought back...I would be concerned.
It's not like the Steelers have been the greatest talent evaluators over the last 5 years.

fearsomefour

Legend
BonifayRam said:
fearsomefour said:
I would be surprised if Starks is considered for anything but T. We are awefully thin with Saffold on the shelf for awhile. Best case Barksdale plays well and he and Long stay healthy and Starks is a vet backup on the sideline. But, I feel would feel better with Starks coming in an emergency than anyone else on the bench now....and it allows Dahl and Williams to stay at G in case of another injury. Good signing.

Its not like Starks has been sitting home on the couch for the last 6 months. He was on the market tour & ended up in SD for pre season this season. Starks has been Pittsburgh's best blocker up front in 2012. But his play @ Left OT was not good. He is now considered those immovable maulers who can not move well at all. He has been fighting his way back from reconstructive surgery most considered a career-ender for him. He has also had issues with a neck injury and weight problems. But it was that torn ACL that caused him to loose his post @ Left OT.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000247019/article/report-rams-agree-to-terms-with-ot-max-starks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... max-starks</a>

With Rodger Saffold sidelined by a knee injury, the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday added a touch of veteran help along the offensive line. The team agreed to terms with 31-year-old tackle Max Starks. Starks was available after the San Diego Chargers released him in August. He played in 16 games for the Steelers last season and 123 overall during his nine years in Pittsburgh. In St. Louis, he'll provide depth for a line missing its starting right tackle.

After also signing tackle Mike Person off waivers from Seattle earlier in the week, the Rams are bracing for Saffold to be out for a stretch. Starks graded poorly both as a run blocker and pass protector last season, according to Pro Football Focus, but it's nearly impossible to find anything resembling reliable offensive tackle help come late September.

I am familiar with Starks. He had some very good years on Pittsburgh and some years where he got beaten like a drum. It is hard to find a guy without issues in Sept. and I certainly have no issue with this signing. He gives the Rams a vet emergency T. Just as importantly (to me anyway) if he does have to come in it allows the Rams to slide another T in without having to move Dahl or Williams out to T.
All of that said, it sort of does make me wonder why they are carrying so many lineman....also makes me wonder if Dunbar will be back at the expense of one of the lineman on the roster.