Jets trade Darrelle Revis to Bucs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Link to Story

The New York Jets on Sunday traded Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 13th overall pick in Thursday night's draft and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2014 that could become a 3rd-round pick, per sources close to the Pro-Bowl cornerback.

Bucs Need Revis

The Buccaneers' pass defense allowed an NFL-high 17 plays of 30 or more yards outside the painted numbers, 15 of which were thrown to wide receivers. Only the Giants allowed as many 30-plus yard plays to wide receivers last season. A look at Tampa Bay's defense on passes to wide receivers in 2012:

Next year's conditional fourth-round pick could become a third if Revis is on the Buccaneers' roster on the third day of the 2014 league year.

Revis signed a six-year, $96 million extension that includes no guaranteed money but makes him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history and one of the two highest-paid defensive players along with Mario Williams, per sources. The new contract replaces his former contract.

Revis will not be released before this season, meaning he is assured of making this season's base salary, but his contract includes none of the money that the NFL refers to as "guaranteed" money. Tampa Bay would be able to release Revis before any season without incurring any salary-cap charge.

The final obstacle to the deal was completed Sunday, when Revis flew on a private plane from New Jersey to Tampa to undergo a physical that included a comprehensive checkup on his knee.

He passed it, making the trade official.

The three sides -- the Jets, Buccaneers and Revis -- spent the weekend hammering out their respective agreements.

The Jets are now satisfied with the two picks they would receive from the Buccaneers, giving New York the ninth and 13th picks Thursday night.

Revis is happy with the new contract he will receive from the Buccaneers. Plus, with no state income tax in Florida, Revis now will pay less in state tax from the Buccaneers than the $538,200 he would have had he remained with the Jets on his $6 million base salary in New Jersey this season.

And Tampa Bay is pleased to acquire the league's top cornerback to upgrade its pass defense and to match up against division rivals such as Drew Brees and Matt Ryan.

As if that weren't enough drama, there's more ahead. In week one, Revis' Buccaneers will open against his former team, the Jets.

Also, in week nine, in another scheduling quirk, Revis' Bucs play in Seattle at Richard Sherman's Seahawks as the two cornerbacks have traded verbal barbs and tweets this offseason.

Meanwhile, New York is positioning itself well for the 2014, when the Jets are expected to receive four compensatory picks to go along with the Buccaneers' likely third-round choice, meaning the Jets will have a bounty of picks to try to turn around their roster.

And they will do it with added salary-cap space, too. Revis will count $12 million against the Jets cap this season but nothing in 2014, when New York will be primed with a great chance to upgrade itself its talent.

Revis is only six months removed from ACL knee surgery and was cleared to run without restriction only last Monday.

The Bucs, determined to improve their league-worst pass defense, will have added two impact players to their secondary in safety Dashon Goldson and Revis, widely regarded as the best corner in the league.

Walker: Revis, Jets On The Clock

The Darrelle Revis trade has the potential to be a win-win deal for both the Buccaneers and Jets, Herm Edwards writes. Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keeping Darrelle Revis wouldn't make sense for the cap-strapped Jets, who mmust complete a deal by Thursday to get help for this year, James Walker writes. Blog

• Stats & Info looks at the deal

Jets officials had made it clear that Revis could be had for the right price, a surprising public stance that irked their best player, according to a source.

The latest developments followed years of contract demands and special requests by Revis and his agents.

The most recent dispute occurred when Revis, who had been rehabbing in Arizona, asked to be excused from the first two weeks of the offseason program. The Jets refused.

Revis, with a $1 million workout bonus tied to his participation in the voluntary workouts, showed up to satisfy the clause.
Revis was seeking about $16 million a year in a long-term deal, and Jets owner Woody Johnson told confidantes as far back as January he had no intention of doling out that much for a non-quarterback, sources said.

Johnson denied that, insisting it was "patently untrue" that he had no desire to extend Revis' contract.

Revis was entering the final year of his contract and was due to make $6 million -- $3 million in bonuses and $3 million in base salary. He triggered a $1 million roster bonus March 16, but the Bucs would assume that payment as well as a $1 million workout bonus and $1 million reporting bonus.

The trade speculation started in late January, when Johnson, in private discussions, expressed little confidence in the team's ability to re-sign Revis, according to sources. One league source said Johnson was determined to deal Revis.

"I gathered from Woody that, in his mind, [Revis] was gone," the source said.
Revis said he was "speechless" upon hearing the trade rumors, later indicating he felt insulted that general manager John Idzik didn't contact him directly. Idzik reached out, but at no point, publicly or privately, did he say Revis wouldn't be traded.
For two months, the Jets mixed damage control with posturing, claiming their only goal was make sure Revis returned healthy from his injury. Meanwhile, they continued to shop him.

The Bucs made sense from the outset. They had a glaring need at cornerback, they began free agency with more than $30 million in cap room and their special teams coach, Dave Wannstedt, was Revis' head coach at Pitt.

This would be another splashy addition for the Bucs, who have demonstrated over the last 12 months a willingness to spend big money. They signed wide receiver Vincent Jackson and guard Carl Nicks last year, but finished a disappointing 7-9.

The Revis trade conjured up memories of another blockbuster between the two teams, in 2000, when the Jets traded disgruntled wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson for two first-round draft picks.

Revis' six-year run with the Jets was marked by brilliant play and contract strife.

As a rookie, he missed part of the preseason because of a contract dispute. In 2010, he staged a 36-day holdout that turned ugly, with both sides exchanging jabs in the media. It became a national story as the main plot that summer in the HBO reality show "Hard Knocks," which covered the Jets' training camp.

The two sides settled the dispute with what the Revis camp termed a "Band-Aid" contract. He had three years remaining on his first contract, and that was replaced with a four-year, $46 million deal that included $32 million in guarantees.

At the time, then-GM Mike Tannenbaum called it an "intermediate step" toward a long-term deal that would enable Revis to finish his career with the Jets. Two years into the deal, the Revis camp started dropping hints that he was mulling another holdout.

That never happened, but the two sides continued on a collision course.
Unable to use the franchise tag, per a clause in Revis' contract, the Jets couldn't let him play out his contract because he would've become an unrestricted free agent. So they had to make a decision: Trade him or re-sign him.

Revis signed a six-year, $96 million extension that includes no guaranteed money

WTF?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
EastRam said:
The New York Jets on Sunday traded Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the [hil]13th overall pick[/hil] in Thursday night's draft and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2014 that could become a 3rd-round pick, per sources close to the Pro-Bowl cornerback.

Thats Austin gone...

Agamemnon

Rookie
[espn]9196775[/espn]
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9195939/new-york-jets-trade-darrelle-revis-tampa-bay-buccaneers-source" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... ers-source</a>

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
shaunpinney said:
EastRam said:
The New York Jets on Sunday traded Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the [hil]13th overall pick[/hil] in Thursday night's draft and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2014 that could become a 3rd-round pick, per sources close to the Pro-Bowl cornerback.

Thats Austin gone...
Guess we're gonna have to do a trade up if Austin is our guy.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
EastRam said:
The New York Jets on Sunday traded Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 13th overall pick in Thursday night's draft and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2014...
Is Revis really worth the 13th pick? Seems like a ridiculously high price to pay.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Not good imo for the Patterson fans. If they don't take him at 9 he's prob going 13 now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Huh. I think the Jets could've gotten a bit more for Revis, even if he was coming off of an ACL injury and wanted out. Proven shutdown corners like him don't grow on trees. Good for the Bucs to solidify one of their major needs; they're going to be a hell of a tough team for us to play.

Speeps

Starter
Agamemnon said:
Username said:
Not good imo for the Patterson fans. If they don't take him at 9 he's prob going 13 now.
I think they will go QB now.
Do not be surprised if they took Milliner, who is heavily compared to Revis.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Revis is good and was one of the best.

If his knee is okay, I'm sure he'll return to that high level.

But... why not use your 13th pick on a CB and save the money? Plus, Revis is coming off a major injury.

Agamemnon

Rookie
CGI_Ram said:
Revis is good and was one of the best.

If his knee is okay, I'm sure he'll return to that high level.

But... why not use your 13th pick on a CB and save the money? Plus, Revis is coming off a major injury.
New GM, new QB.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Tampon is rolling the dice here if you ask me. Hard to believe that Revis will be the same player that he was pre-knee injury. Guess we'll see.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Selassie I said:
Tampon is rolling the dice here if you ask me. Hard to believe that Revis will be the same player that he was pre-knee injury. Guess we'll see.

It will be interesting to see, for sure.

A torn ACL doesn't end careers anymore and the recovery from it is a whole lot better now than it was years ago.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
On paper they look pretty good on D, Darrelle Revis, Dashon Goldson, Mark Barron, Eric Wright...and they had the top ranked rush defense last year.

Plus they still might get Ronde Barber to use as a sub....

Course games aren't played on paper.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The Jets still need pass-rush help. I'm not sure how much them acquiring a second #1 is going to affect us. They have a hole at corner now too.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
This is just stupid :huh:
It's like a trade you see on RamStalk and just shake your head. Geez.
Why in blue hell would you give up that much for a player at that age coming off knee surgery. The Bucs are more than 1 player away. They could have used that pick and draft a CB that might not be the top level that Revis is, but will be playing at a very high level when Revis is done and sitting on the couch.

Why would Revis sign with no guaranteed cash?

Quite a steal for the Jets. The picks and losing the headcase. They can draft the CB the Bucs should have and still get a pass rusher.

SMH

…..

Legend
Geezus....96m and the 13th pick?

How many of you would be livid if the Rams made this deal? I know I would be.

Cant wait to see the draft grade on the Buccs. I dont care how bad you need a cornerback, this makes zero good sense to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yamahopper said:
Why in blue hell would you give up that much for a player at that age coming off knee surgery. The Bucs are more than 1 player away. They could have used that pick and draft a CB that might not be the top level that Revis is, but will be playing at a very high level when Revis is done and sitting on the couch.

Quite a steal for the Jets. The picks and losing the headcase. They can draft the CB the Bucs should have and still get a pass rusher.

SMH
I tend to agree with you. Revis and his knee issues are a gamble,and the Jets are in shambles* so they scored IMO.

*i just wanted to use the word gamble and shamble in the same sentence :razzed:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
mojorizen7 said:
Yamahopper said:

SMH
I tend to agree with you. Revis and his knee issues are a gamble,and the Jets are in shambles* so they scored IMO.

*i just wanted to use the word gamble and shamble in the same sentence :razzed:

This smells of a "Owner" trade. The kind where the owner says get him and that's what the GM does.