Jeff Fisher's next Job IMO./UCLA hires Chip Kelly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I imagine if he was to interview for a head coaching job, he would need to display some humility about his stay as the Rams head coach. Thus, I believe he'll stay retired.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How about the winter in Montana?
Sv5FjBi.gif

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fish looked like he was warn the fuck out at the end here. I think that Hard Knocks was the final nail in the coffin for him. I could just see how he was posing,,, especially at the end there. In that show for sure... and on the sideline.

When I saw him in his office on Hard Knocks wearing flip flops and attempting to look cool with that short surf board leaning against the wall (I'm betting cash that he can't rid that particular board any more... it was a prop)... I knew he was just living on his past rep. I didn't see the fire in his eyes that I used to see him with in Tennessee. His pose didn't sell me in that show.

Once the season began... he looked totally haggard. The bags under his eyes were disturbing, and his belly must have required a XXL shirt. He looked like he was unhealthy and worn the fuck out.

Coaching requires a mountain of work and commitment to constantly improve every little detail. Fish has already "Been There and Done That" as the saying goes. He's a cool dude no doubt, but he's not going to reinvent himself or an NFL football team at this point in his life. I just don't see that.

He looks a thousand times more healthy and happy now. He deserves his kick ass retirement. He grinded it out for years. Let Fish enjoy the fruits of his labor... and whatever we do, let's not force him to prove that he can still ride that 6" surf board or coach at the highest level again. I don't believe he has either in him anymore.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I heard his name mentioned in connection with the UCLA head coaching job, is there any validity in this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/25/ucla-hires-chip-kelly/

UCLA hires Chip Kelly
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 25, 2017

607564708-e1511629809373.jpg

Getty Images

After failing twice in the NFL, Chip Kelly is giving college football a second chance.

Kelly, the former Eagles and 49ers head coach, has been hired as the new coach at UCLA. Kelly replaces another two-time NFL failure, Jim Mora, who was fired this week.

By taking the UCLA job, Kelly returns to the Pac-12 conference, where he had a great deal of success as the head coach at Oregon. Although Kelly didn’t do well in the NFL, there’s every reason to think he can do well as the coach of the Bruins.

Kelly’s first priority will likely be trying to persuade star quarterback Josh Rosen to stay in school rather than enter the 2018 NFL draft. Kelly’s NFL experience could be appealing to Rosen, as he’ll want a coach who can help him develop for the pro game. Then again, Kelly’s NFL failures could make Rosen think he’d be better off leaving.

At the college level, Kelly was known as one of the nation’s most innovative coaches. In the NFL, his offense showed promise at first, but once opposing defensive coordinators had some time to game plan for his fast pace, he largely failed. We’ll see whether he can do it at the college level again. His days coaching in the NFL are likely done.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Defensive Coordinator Dallas Cowboys....Jerry agrees to have Fisher's sons and that is a high enough profile gig for Fisher to rebuild his resume, with the hopes of getting a shot to taker over for Garrett. I don't see the Cowboys firing Garrett, however, I believe Rod Marinelli retires or resigns (if he's still under contract) and Fisher is the type of name Jones covets....Now Jones could go for someone who has actually coordinated a defense, who becomes available, but IMO, I could see this being an option for Jones and too good of an opportunity for Jeff Fisher...And as always, JMHO.

Um, NO COACH IN THE NFL has done more with less than average talent than Rod Marinelli. Heck, if Son of Bum retired...I’d take Marinelli in a red hot chili second. Not even Jerrah is THAT STUPID

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Um, NO COACH IN THE NFL has done more with less than average talent than Rod Marinelli. Heck, if Son of Bum retired...I’d take Marinelli in a red hot chili second. Not even Jerrah is THAT STUPID

Whit all due respect going to disagree somewhat. I think Marinelli is not a bad coach, but that defense has been a weak link for awhile, you know it, I know it and the American people know it. So with that posted IMO, Marinelli will be the scapegoat, or he will respectfully retire opening the door for a big name hire again, JMHO.

Last edited:

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I wonder how Chip will do @ UCLA. They have good athletes and it will be easy to recruit there.

I'm a Ducks fan so there's a warm place in my heart for Chip. That being said, when he hit the Pac--12 with his offensive system it blew everyone away. Now? Everyone in college does what he did @ Oregon to some extent.

It's going to make the Pac-12 fun to watch for sure. With Peterson in Washington (spit), Chip @ UCLA, Taggart at Oregon, and that guy @ ASU the conference is getting scary competitive. Maybe too competitive to make a run at the Natty.

Here's my Homer Duck prediction. Royce Freeman will be taken in the first round next draft.

Here's another. When Justin Herbert comes out for the draft he will be in the top 2 QB's taken.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wonder how Chip will do @ UCLA. They have good athletes and it will be easy to recruit there.

He will win and IMHO, the Bruins will have opportunities to be one of the final four teams. It will take a few years, but he will win.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fish looked like he was warn the freak out at the end here. I think that Hard Knocks was the final nail in the coffin for him. I could just see how he was posing,,, especially at the end there. In that show for sure... and on the sideline.

When I saw him in his office on Hard Knocks wearing flip flops and attempting to look cool with that short surf board leaning against the wall (I'm betting cash that he can't rid that particular board any more... it was a prop)... I knew he was just living on his past rep. I didn't see the fire in his eyes that I used to see him with in Tennessee. His pose didn't sell me in that show.

Once the season began... he looked totally haggard. The bags under his eyes were disturbing, and his belly must have required a XXL shirt. He looked like he was unhealthy and worn the freak out.

Coaching requires a mountain of work and commitment to constantly improve every little detail. Fish has already "Been There and Done That" as the saying goes. He's a cool dude no doubt, but he's not going to reinvent himself or an NFL football team at this point in his life. I just don't see that.

He looks a thousand times more healthy and happy now. He deserves his kick ass retirement. He grinded it out for years. Let Fish enjoy the fruits of his labor... and whatever we do, let's not force him to prove that he can still ride that 6" surf board or coach at the highest level again. I don't believe he has either in him anymore.

Very observant of you. I would have to say I agree with this. He looked beat on Hard Knocks.

I think Fisher is too proud to be a DC at this point and he doesn't want to work without having all of the say. After the failures with the Rams, he has to realise that his style of football can't compete with current trends. He failed, Rex failed. I think he stays retired. Movie isn't tearing it up in Illinois. I think he knew his NFL head coaching gigs were over and took the offer out of desperation. Moving to college takes a different mindset with all of the recruiting. Getting a scheme to work in college is difficult when teams don't always have the right players. Fisher won't want anything to do with that either.

Whit all due respect going to disagree somewhat. I think Marinelli is not a bad coach, but that defense has been a weak link for awhile, you know it, I know it and the American people know it. So with that posted IMO, Marinelli will be the scapegoat, or he will respectfully retire opening the door for a big name hire again, JMHO.

That defense sucked balls until Marinelli took it over. The Cowboys defense is just lacking in Star power. Marinelli may not be a great DC but he is better than half the DCs in the league.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That defense sucked balls until Marinelli took it over. The Cowboys defense is just lacking in Star power. Marinelli may not be a great DC but he is better than half the DCs in the league.

Marinelli is a good coach and you might be right about the defense, but it has not been good, is different with Sean Lee in the game, but still not good and is the reason they were an early out of the playoffs last season. Marinelli had never truly been a DC until Dallas and I believe somebody will be a scapegoat and unless Jones fires Garrett, I believe it will be Marinelli with a name replacing him...Again JMHO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/26/will-jeff-fisher-return-to-the-nfl/

Will Jeff Fisher return to the NFL?
Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2017

For years, former Titans and Rams coach Jeff Fisher chugged along as an NFL head coach, without much scrutiny or criticism for the typically average performances of his teams. And then it happened; a 3-1 start in 2016 followed by an extended losing streak and a feud with Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson made Fisher into a punching bag for NFL fans, with Fisher eventually being run out of L.A. during the team’s first year back in their former long-time home.

Suddenly, the guy who won 171 career games and took the Titans to Super Bowl XXXIV (where they nearly forced overtime with the Rams) became the leader of the gang that couldn’t coach straight. A football pariah. A laughingstock.

After his final loss with the Rams, Fisher tied Dan Reeves atop the all-time coaching losses list with 165. But at 171-165-1 in the regular season, along with a 5-6 record in the playoffs, Fisher has coached 348 NFL games. So he knows a thing or two about getting a team ready to play, week after week and year after year.

I want to get back on the sideline,” Fisher said in the final episode of the second season of Amazon’s All or Nothing. “Not going to happen this year, obviously. We’ll just see what happens.”

Yes, we will. Especially once NFL owners start firing NFL coaches. Fisher’s name already has bubbled up in connection with college vacancies, most notably when rumors flew that UCLA was interested in hiring him. Fisher presumably remains more interested in returning to the NFL.

His cause won’t be aided by the success of the Rams and quarterback Jared Goff without him, or by the success of former Rams quarterback Case Keenum in Minnesota. But Fisher’s audience isn’t you or me or anyone who doesn’t own an NFL team looking for a head coach.

And if/when Fisher gets an interview, Fisher will talk a very good game — selling his strengths, excusing his weaknesses (e.g., “I wanted to roll with Case but they made me trade up for Goff”), and touting a very real connection to the league office that gives whichever team hires him a chance to gain most favored nation status with an embattled Commissioner who is about to get a contract extension through 2024.

Ultimately, Fisher’s fate depends on how many current coaches get fired, and whether at least one of them isn’t willing to roll the dice on a coordinator who has never coached a single NFL game — and who instead would be more comfortable entrusting the team to someone who has coached nearly 350 of them.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think Fisher is done as a coach. I think if he was to return he would probably get a job with the league. He was head of the competition committee, and he was very involded with teaching rookies the importance of being financially smart. He could be a part of rookie orientations, and do that "dizzy bat" game at the end of it.