Jeff Fisher: St. Louis Rams interested in Mark Sanchez

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Exactly....I've been saying that same thing about production on two boards and too many people don't want to listen. Sanchez has performed like a back up his entire career. Bringing him here does nothing really, except start a possible QB controversy. Plus he is going to want to start so why is he even going to talk to the Rams. And Fisher couldn't have been more vague in his response about Sanchez, it's not like they are going after him hammer and tong, if it happens it happens. But really if you were Sanchez and could get a shot to start for a year or two so that you might prove yourself and get a fairly big contract from a desperate team wouldn't you avoid the Rams? There is a good chance you don't get to play here. It's actually not the best move for Sanchez.

This is the same way I feel about the Fitzpatrick deal. He made the right choice. He's going to get to play in HOU and possibly do well enough that another team will give him a decent deal and he'll get to play and make millions.

Sanchez' agent should be burning up the phone lines to CLE, OAK, MINN, JAX because they can pay him to be a stop gap rather than wasting a high pick on a QB in a draft class that has no real star potential.
No matter who the Rams bring in....Sanchez, Hill or a QB drafted early the first time Bradford has a "blah" game the idiots at the PD will be calling for a change.
Personally I prefer Hill over Sanchez by a fair margin. I also don't see a big difference between the QBs rated as first rounders and the ones rated as mid rounders. I would sign Hill and draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round with the understanding he has a couple of years to develop.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Exactly....I've been saying that same thing about production on two boards and too many people don't want to listen. Sanchez has performed like a back up his entire career. Bringing him here does nothing really, except start a possible QB controversy. Plus he is going to want to start so why is he even going to talk to the Rams. And Fisher couldn't have been more vague in his response about Sanchez, it's not like they are going after him hammer and tong, if it happens it happens. But really if you were Sanchez and could get a shot to start for a year or two so that you might prove yourself and get a fairly big contract from a desperate team wouldn't you avoid the Rams? There is a good chance you don't get to play here. It's actually not the best move for Sanchez.

This is the same way I feel about the Fitzpatrick deal. He made the right choice. He's going to get to play in HOU and possibly do well enough that another team will give him a decent deal and he'll get to play and make millions.

Sanchez' agent should be burning up the phone lines to CLE, OAK, MINN, JAX because they can pay him to be a stop gap rather than wasting a high pick on a QB in a draft class that has no real star potential.
I'm curious about how you see it that way. The only time Clemens got any significant playing time(8 games) under Schottenheimer with the the Jets he put up a 60.8 rating and twice as many interceptions as touchdowns. Sanchez wasn't setting the world on fire but he progressed every year and had a 78.2 rating and 26(+6 more rushing) touchdowns to 18 interceptions in 2011, Scottenheimer's last year.

No one's saying Sanchez doesn't have issues, but what he can do is pretty solid for a backup. Who knows what a change of scenery and less pressure will do for him. He could be another Matt Leinart and not really be that interested in football for all I know but his numbers overall with the Jets were far more productive than Clemens'.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm curious about how you see it that way. The only time Clemens got any significant playing time(8 games) under Schottenheimer with the the Jets he put up a 60.8 rating and twice as many interceptions as touchdowns. Sanchez wasn't setting the world on fire but he progressed every year and had a 78.2 rating and 26(+6 more rushing) touchdowns to 18 interceptions in 2011, Scottenheimer's last year.

No one's saying Sanchez doesn't have issues, but what he can do is pretty solid for a backup. Who knows what a change of scenery and less pressure will do for him. He could be another Matt Leinart and not really be that interested in football for all I know but his numbers overall with the Jets were far more productive than Clemens'.

The career production is very similar IMO. And Sanchez has been regressing.......I'm still not interested because of the potential media issues.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well,,, if he comes to The Lou... at least 3 or 4 senior girls from various different high schools will have an interesting prom date.

Dirty Sanchez
I was thinking that might be what was meant. There's interest in Sanchez.... so far as what his prom date looks like. But hey. That's interest.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The career production is very similar IMO. And Sanchez has been regressing.......I'm still not interested because of the potential media issues.
I just think you're looking at things out of perspective. Sanchez progressed each of his first 3 years under Schottenheimer to the point that he accounted for 32 TD's in 2011. Then they got rid of Schottenheimer and brought in Marty Morningweg, who then got fired after 1 year. Not only that, they brought in Tebow that year. And that 1 year is all we're talking about in terms of Sanchez "regressing". He was clearly the better QB last preseason and the GM sabotaged him.

Just looking at Sanchez's and Clemens' career QB rating is not looking deep enough.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just think you're looking at things out of perspective. Sanchez progressed each of his first 3 years under Schottenheimer to the point that he accounted for 32 TD's in 2011. Then they got rid of Schottenheimer and brought in Marty Morningweg, who then got fired after 1 year. Not only that, they brought in Tebow that year. And that 1 year is all we're talking about in terms of Sanchez "regressing". He was clearly the better QB last preseason and the GM sabotaged him.

Just looking at Sanchez's and Clemens' career QB rating is not looking deep enough.
My problem has always been what I saw of him in college. I never saw the huge upside of the guy. I will admit that I haven't watched him much in the pros but every time I do except when he played us a couple years ago, he has looked very shaky, inaccurate, and easy to fluster.

moklerman

Warner-phile
My problem has always been what I saw of him in college. I never saw the huge upside of the guy. I will admit that I haven't watched him much in the pros but every time I do except when he played us a couple years ago, he has looked very shaky, inaccurate, and easy to fluster.
I don't completely disagree but the guy has shown upside as well as those shaky time. I do agree that he was drafted too early but the only one who hyped him up, at least that I remember, was Rex Ryan and the Jets. I think the guy's got some talent but he would benefit from a stable environment, good scheme and better coaching. Since he's been with the Jets they've been a total circus and I don't put all of their misfortune on his shoulders.

Schottenheimer's not the greatest but he has been the best OC that Sanchez has had to work with. Think about that for just a moment. And, whatever foibles Sanchez has exhibited, the guy did put up 32 TD's in a year. That's pretty solid. The guy has some upside and it's frustrating to me that so many consider him to be so terrible. So absolutely.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't completely disagree but the guy has shown upside as well as those shaky time. I do agree that he was drafted too early but the only one who hyped him up, at least that I remember, was Rex Ryan and the Jets. I think the guy's got some talent but he would benefit from a stable environment, good scheme and better coaching. Since he's been with the Jets they've been a total circus and I don't put all of their misfortune on his shoulders.

Schottenheimer's not the greatest but he has been the best OC that Sanchez has had to work with. Think about that for just a moment. And, whatever foibles Sanchez has exhibited, the guy did put up 32 TD's in a year. That's pretty solid. The guy has some upside and it's frustrating to me that so many consider him to be so terrible. So absolutely.

Y'know - I think you are right for the most part. I remember some talking heads pimping him but it seemed that Rex had a major boner for him. I thought at the time even Petey said Mark needed to stay put because he wasn't ready for the NFL. I realize it may have been selfishness but at the time, it seemed pretty genuine and from what I had seen I agreed completely.

I was so glad the Rams didn't pick him in that draft. In hindsight? Yep - still glad.

Last edited: