Jay Gruden fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Jay Gruden has a losing record as a head coach. I'm curious why people think he is a good coach and why the Rams should hire him.

Ram65

Legend
If I'm McVay I'd hire him and have him running QA analysis of my offense for tells, tendencies, etc. IMO teams are anticipating too many of McVay's route combinations and he needs to change it up.

Also I'd have him drawing up new stuff in conjunction with the above, refining things, etc. Schematic type of role.

I like this idea a lot. You could add game management evaluation. McVay needs help with TOs, wasting time and challenges. As smart as he is he needs to improve in these areas.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jay Gruden has a losing record as a head coach. I'm curious why people think he is a good coach and why the Rams should hire him.
I’m not a Gruden fan but if the Rams give him a job it’s because he’s McVay’s friend and that goes a long way in sports.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great question. Should McVay give up the play calling eventually? There’s gotta be pros and cons to it.

Did Bill Walsh ever give up playing calling to an OC?

I'd say no. And I like Gruden. But McVay is a much better play-caller.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. I assume we can expect that his game management will improve as he goes on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If McVay were to bring him in I don't think the playcalling would be in question. It would be a "he doesn't want to join his brother but McVay's staff can use his help" kind of thing. Sean's smart enough and confident enough to use him as a sounding board, QA type, and to assist in gameplanning.

Psycho_X

Legend
I wonder what sad, desperate individual they’ll get to be their next coach? Because I can’t imagine any respected coach giving that job a serious look.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Reports are that den-the-coach is under serious consideration for the job in DC. But can owner Dan Snyder promise 70 degree weather in February? Time will tell ~Schefty

I sincerely hope those reports are false! I would hate to lose him to another team! Hopefully, the Rams will up their offer that will keep den-the-coach with the Rams for the rest of his Coaching Career! We just can’t afford to lose him!!!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Because his bosses are 2 slimeballs.

Their FAs and draft picks were mostly misses.

His bosses are Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen, who piss off their best players.

Hes had multiple injuries to his players, especially at QB.

His bosses are Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen.

He's forced to play guys he didnt even want.

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen are clowns.

His record isn't as horrible as it looks considering all these factors.

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen still run the damn show!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Los Angeles Rams’ HC Sean McVay says he’ll talk to Jay Gruden about joining his staff “at some point.”

McVay says he and Gruden spoke on Monday morning. Could they be reuniting in Los Angeles?

By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ Oct 7, 2019, 8:48pm CDT

Washington HC Jay Gruden and former OC Sean McVay

Brad Mills-USA TODAY Sports

Bright and early on Monday morning, not long after suffering their fifth consecutive loss to start the year, the Washington Redskins parted ways with head coach Jay Gruden. And being a longtime friend and appreciative pupil, Los Angeles HC Sean McVay reached out.
I exchanged some stuff with him this morning. It’s a tough situation. He (Jay Gruden) is a really close friend of mine, he has been – really, that family, but especially Jay – you talk about instrumental. A lot of the opportunities that I’ve been given in this league as a result of his belief, his willingness to kind of teach me. One of the things that I think is so special about him that I never realized and really, truly appreciated until I got into this role here was how much he really protected me. When I was a coordinator, in a lot of ways, he kind of groomed me and brought me along to where you kind of learn some of the things about how you’re setting up a gameplan, how you want to call a game. He protected me from a lot of the things that – I don’t know that a lot of people would do that. I think that’s a real demonstration on who he is as a man and I’m forever indebted to him. That organization was really good to me. It’s something that you just realize how tough this league is. I love Jay Gruden, love what he’s meant to my family and to me and I’m always in his corner.
Some pretty powerful words from McVay, who clearly respects Jay and the entire Gruden family for what they’ve done for him throughout his career.
So, it begs the question, does he intend to ask Gruden to move coast-to-coast to help him out in Los Angeles?
He’s going to have a lot of options. I think the first thing is anytime something like this occurs, you want to be able to say, ‘I’m just there for you’ and you love them and care about them no matter what as a friend. I think he’s in a great situation, where he’s got great family and he’ll have a lot of options. Those are things that I think we’ll sure discuss at some point, but right now, it’s more about just reaching out to a buddy and seeing how he’s doing.
Fair enough. McVay was doing what any good friend should do given the circumstances. But it does sound as though McVay has some interest in talking business with his former mentor, and potentially reuniting forces in LA.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I mentioned this two weeks ago and I'm all for it. Let's not discount McVay learned a lot from gruden but with that being said nobody saying to let him take over and call the plays. However offensive consultant or whatever title you want to give him he could provide McVay with some perspective maybe with the pass to run situation. Could be some more coaching help for Goff. Say want you want about gruden but he has turned som meh or mediocre players into above average players. Those two combined could do some damage. Also maybe take some of the burden off Mcvey keeping him from the vermeil burnout. Gruden maybe helps with this 6 man front that's plagued our offense for quit a while now. Don't think it can hurt.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'd like to see McVay bring him in. Cannot have enough good coaches.

As I saw mentioned earlier I could see him being brought in as a quality control type. Look at the Rams tendencies on offense. Just another set of eyes from the outside would be good to have. He also would provide some added insight for the Cowboys game which will be a big game for us this year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

A lot of good coaches were not successfull as as head coaches whether it be a talent issue or an organization issue etc...

Look at Norv Turner for example.... BTW, got stuck in the same bad organization as Gruden did.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I would bring him along for the season. I still think he gets another HC gig next year. He just got Syndered imho

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found it interesting that JB Long asked on Twitter for questions to ask McVay, and I responded to ask about Gruden coming to LA. Long went back and forth with me on Twitter, then never asked McVay the question, as if he was protecting him.

Then there’s that article from Thiry with McVay talking about Gruden possibility coming to LA.

I swear, some of these LA guys are pussies. Ask the fucking question JB!