Jared Goff sits, while Carson Wentz stars: What gives?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By Dan Graziano
ESPN Staff Writer

The quarterback who went No. 2 overall in this year's draft is 3-0, ranks sixth in the NFL in passer rating and has five touchdown passes without an interception.

The quarterback who went No. 1 overall in this year's draft hasn't played yet.

So what happened here? Did theLos Angeles Rams blow it withJared Goff? Are the Philadelphia Eagles geniuses for trading up to No. 2 to select Carson Wentz? Is Wentz a prodigy? Is Goff a bust???

Yeah, it's a hot-take world when it comes to quarterbacks, and everybody loves to jump to their favorite conclusions. In this case, it's not that simple. While Goff and Wentz will forever be linked due to their proximity at the top of the draft, their 2016 situations are anything but apples to apples.

Here's a key difference: TheMinnesota Vikings didn't offer the Rams a first-round pick for their starting quarterback a week before the season. The Vikings did do that for the Eagles, which sentSam Bradford to the upper Midwest and elevated Wentz to the starter's role.

While the Eagles weren't preparing Wentz to start Week 1 until that deal went down eight days before their opener, the fact remains that they did manage to sufficiently prepare him to start -- and play very well -- in September.

To hear the Eagles tell it, it wasn't that tough.

Case Keenum said in a phone interview Wednesday. "Our protections are definitely a little bit different, and combining them with the concepts has been a challenge. Knowing who's hot on a particular play, when they're hot, the dropback game. ... There's been a lot of change, and it's a lot to process. But I think it's working pretty good."

Keenum takes responsibility for some of the offensive issues, saying, "I've missed a few throws with some guys running open." The Rams are 30th in the league in passing yards per game and last in completion percentage. Only three teams have fewer touchdown passes than the Rams' four.

They are 3-1, however, thanks in large part to a defense that has taken away the ball nine times and is holding opponents under 20 points per game. Keenum and the offense have largely protected the ball well, and they've done enough in spite of the growing pains.

So add up the surprisingly strong win/loss start and the fact that this offense is still putting itself together, and you can see why the Rams don't feel any rush to get Goff in there. It's entirely possible he's as ready as Wentz is. But the Bradford trade gave the Eagles a reason to elevate Wentz, and the complexities of the Rams' under-construction offense give L.A. reason to worry about Goff having too much on his plate if he does play.

Wentz's coaches in Philadelphia are all quarterbacks -- Pederson the head coach, Reich the coordinator and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. Wentz is surrounded by people who speak his language, know what he's going through and communicate simply and on his level.

Groh and Weinke were quarterbacks, but neither had ever coached quarterbacks in the NFL until this season. Boras is a former offensive lineman, and Fisher's background is on defense.

That doesn't mean what the Eagles are doing is right or what the Rams are doing is wrong. What it tells you is that the situations in which Wentz and Goff find themselves at the outset of their careers are very different. It's easy to look at what has gone on so far -- Wentz lighting up the league, while Goff rides the bench -- and say they may have been picked in the wrong order, but it's important to remember there's a long way to go. A month does not make a career (or two careers).

[www.espn.com]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Has this guy been living under a rock?
Or is he just running out of ideas?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Geez, I've heard this ad nauseum...What freaking difference does it make, Goff plays when Fisher says he plays...How many times does this have to be said ??? Is this the only shit they can use as worthless filler ???

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Monkeys peel bananas from the bottom humans peel them from the top..........what gives?

RamWoodie

Legend
Just another "stir the pot" article! The Wentz/Goff thing lost steam because the Eagles had a bye week.

The key to this whole thing is "what are the Rams saying?"...and the answer is NOT MUCH.

It's the "Goff pushers" who want "their boy" in there regardless. The thinking being "he was the 1st pick of the draft so play him". Despite the fact that his preseason play showed he wasn't ready.

It only amped up more when Wentz started because Bradford was traded and Wentz is enjoying success which shows he was the more ready QB.

"What gives" is...IT IS WHAT IT IS!!! Live with it for now folks! It doesn't answer how good Goff will be...SO WE WAIT!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Could it just be that teams are jealous because the Rams drafted a QB #1 and yet they don't have to start him because they are winning with Keenum? I'm sure Goff would do just fine if the Rams had to play him, but they don't have to so why rush him, he is 21 yrs old. The rookie QBs that are starting are all starting due to injury to the starter or their teams starter was traded, and they are all older than 21. If Goff doesn't start til next ur he will still be younger than any of this year's rookies are right now.

It really sucks go know that the Rams already have their QB for the future, but don't have to play him in the present.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
By Dan Graziano
ESPN Staff Writer

The quarterback who went No. 2 overall in this year's draft is 3-0, ranks sixth in the NFL in passer rating and has five touchdown passes without an interception.

The quarterback who went No. 1 overall in this year's draft hasn't played yet.

So what happened here? Did theLos Angeles Rams blow it withJared Goff? Are the Philadelphia Eagles geniuses for trading up to No. 2 to select Carson Wentz? Is Wentz a prodigy? Is Goff a bust???

Yeah, it's a hot-take world when it comes to quarterbacks, and everybody loves to jump to their favorite conclusions. In this case, it's not that simple. While Goff and Wentz will forever be linked due to their proximity at the top of the draft, their 2016 situations are anything but apples to apples.

Here's a key difference: TheMinnesota Vikings didn't offer the Rams a first-round pick for their starting quarterback a week before the season. The Vikings did do that for the Eagles, which sentSam Bradford to the upper Midwest and elevated Wentz to the starter's role.

While the Eagles weren't preparing Wentz to start Week 1 until that deal went down eight days before their opener, the fact remains that they did manage to sufficiently prepare him to start -- and play very well -- in September.

To hear the Eagles tell it, it wasn't that tough.

Case Keenum said in a phone interview Wednesday. "Our protections are definitely a little bit different, and combining them with the concepts has been a challenge. Knowing who's hot on a particular play, when they're hot, the dropback game. ... There's been a lot of change, and it's a lot to process. But I think it's working pretty good."

Keenum takes responsibility for some of the offensive issues, saying, "I've missed a few throws with some guys running open." The Rams are 30th in the league in passing yards per game and last in completion percentage. Only three teams have fewer touchdown passes than the Rams' four.

They are 3-1, however, thanks in large part to a defense that has taken away the ball nine times and is holding opponents under 20 points per game. Keenum and the offense have largely protected the ball well, and they've done enough in spite of the growing pains.

So add up the surprisingly strong win/loss start and the fact that this offense is still putting itself together, and you can see why the Rams don't feel any rush to get Goff in there. It's entirely possible he's as ready as Wentz is. But the Bradford trade gave the Eagles a reason to elevate Wentz, and the complexities of the Rams' under-construction offense give L.A. reason to worry about Goff having too much on his plate if he does play.

Wentz's coaches in Philadelphia are all quarterbacks -- Pederson the head coach, Reich the coordinator and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. Wentz is surrounded by people who speak his language, know what he's going through and communicate simply and on his level.

Groh and Weinke were quarterbacks, but neither had ever coached quarterbacks in the NFL until this season. Boras is a former offensive lineman, and Fisher's background is on defense.

That doesn't mean what the Eagles are doing is right or what the Rams are doing is wrong. What it tells you is that the situations in which Wentz and Goff find themselves at the outset of their careers are very different. It's easy to look at what has gone on so far -- Wentz lighting up the league, while Goff rides the bench -- and say they may have been picked in the wrong order, but it's important to remember there's a long way to go. A month does not make a career (or two careers).

[www.espn.com]
Typical ESPN BS reporting!:blah::blah::blah::dizzy:
unbelievable.gif

dlk button.gif
idiot_award-2.png
Mr Asshat.png
Wayne quote.jpg

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yeah it's a stupid title (blame the editor, not the writer), but I think this is a pretty tame offering. No inflammatory "bust" language, just sums up the situation. So I'm not sure why so many responses are so defensive. If this is what passes for offensive agenda from "Goff pushers", then maybe it's time to start labeling some people "Goff haters"? No thanks, I'd say everyone relax a bit and re-read the last paragraph of the article not just the title.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Did I read a different article to others on here?

From the headline and the fact that it's an ESPN article, I was expecting it to be a rehashing of the overly simplistic view that goes something like:

#1 overall pick not playing straightaway therefore he's a bust.

What I actually read was by no means new but it was an article that makes perfect sense and actually says that the Rams aren't doing anything "wrong" and that the Goff and Wentz situations are not comparable.

jap

Legend
Johnny: "The Horns have the luxury of having an emergency QB who has one of the best lifetime passer ratings and is a bona fide Pro Bowler!"

The Leg: "Will you can it with the self hype already? The way I'm kicking now I can slam 10 FG's right down the center of the goal posts and win most games by myself."

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I actually liked it because he wasn't pushing any agenda.

And I don't think the avid fans of the forum were his target audience, so I'm not bent about the lack of new information ... man.
46335292.jpg