Jared Goff on The Pivot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I said it while it was happening but people didn't believe me. McVay intentionally made things hard for Goff. Hell McVay treated Mayfield better than he treated Goff. Sean had nothing invested in a QB that wasn't his choice. He basically drove Goff out of town and pointed at him and said he failed.

Now on a team that values him and plays to his strengths, he's developed more in two years than 5 years he spent as a Ram. McVay sabotaged Goff on each and every play by holding him in the huddle until there was no time for Goff the read the defense or change the play. When time-outs were taken or delay penalties were called it was on Goff not McVay who actually caused it. The Boy Genius was never called out on it. It was claimed Goff couldn't read defenses. But what do you know he reads them just fine in Detroit.

It's why the next QB will be Sean's choice either a vet (most likely) or a rookie. McVay made it a point to say Bennett was LaFleur's and Robinson's choice. The next QB1 will be McVay's and only McVay's choice. Let me be clear. I love McVay as the Rams HC but I'm not blind to his faults and he does have them.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I said it while it was happening but people didn't believe me. McVay intentionally made things hard for Goff. Hell McVay treated Mayfield better than he treated Goff. Sean had nothing invested in a QB that wasn't his choice. He basically drove Goff out of town and pointed at him and said he failed.

Now on a team that values him and plays to his strengths, he's developed more in two years than 5 years he spent as a Ram. McVay sabotaged Goff on each and every play by holding him in the huddle until there was no time for Goff the read the defense or change the play. When time-outs were taken or delay penalties were called it was on Goff not McVay who actually caused it. The Boy Genius was never called out on it. It was claimed Goff couldn't read defenses. But what do you know he reads them just fine in Detroit.

It's why the next QB will be Sean's choice either a vet (most likely) or a rookie. McVay made it a point to say Bennett was LaFleur's and Robinson's choice. The next QB1 will be McVay's and only McVay's choice. Let me be clear. I love McVay as the Rams HC but I'm not blind to his faults and he does have them.
Sabotage is a little extreme but I do think mcvay didn't want to develop him or any qb for that matter. Hence why he got vet in Stafford who didn't need any development. That's my primary concern for our future.

tempests

Hall of Fame
McVay intentionally made things hard for Goff.

McVay sabotaged Goff on each and every play
This is all a crock of bullshit.

On Friday, The Pro Football Writers of America announced that Jared Goff has been named the NFL’s Most Improved Player of the Year.

The second-year Los Angeles Rams quarterback finished the season with a 26-13 playoff loss against the Atlanta Falcons. However, the team remained positive and look forward to having a stronger 2018 season.

Goff threw for 28 touchdowns and passed for 3,804 yards with just seven interceptions in the 2017 season, while he finished with a 100.5 QBR. He lead the Rams to an 11-5 record and is the first Rams quarterback to win the award, which has been given out annually since 2000.

Goff had five touchdowns and seven interceptions in seven starts in the 2016 season. He completed 54.6 percent of his passes with a 63.6 QBR under then head coach Jeff Fisher.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/jared-goff-is-pfwas-most-improved-player/2041177/

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Pivot is my favorite sports show. I can't wait to watch this episode. Those guys are just fun to watch no matter who is their guest.

nighttrain

Legend
Maybe trading Goff wasn't McVay at all, Stan wanted A Super Bowl Trophy for his new digs and talked with Sean about what was the quickest way to get one, hence the all in strategy of trading away all Rams picks for proven vets, Stafford, Whitworth and Ramsey. The fu#k them picks was all about Stan.
train

nighttrain

Legend
Maybe trading Goff wasn't McVay at all, Stan wanted A Super Bowl Trophy for his new digs and talked with Sean about what was the quickest way to get one, hence the all in strategy of trading away all Rams picks for proven vets, Stafford, Whitworth and Ramsey. The fu#k them picks was all about Stan.
train
anybody?
train

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
train
No question in my mind that Stan was at least a major factor in support of the go all in strategy to win a championship. He had a new $5B stadium and wanted a big splash to show the Rams were as serious a franchise as the Dodgers or Lakers.

But wherever that strategy came from, even if it was just internal to McVay, I'm sure McVay felt pressure in his own mind to make it happen.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Since Mcvay arrived he's had this quote that I just loved and it absolutely encapsulates what I believe happened between Mcvay and Goff.

"Where communication lacks, negativity fills"

oldnotdead

Legend
Zac Taylor was there and saw in first hand. It was no secret within the locker room or the organization. But McVay is a celebrity so no one stepped up to say it was wrong. People don't have to believe me but they cannot and should not discount Taylor. Every person has a darkside, so I'm not surprised. Neither am I star struck and willing to discount any criticism of Sean off hand.

That said he's a very good HC and he leads the Rams. I can appreciate his accomplishments without ignoring the man as a person. Nice guys may not end up last but they often end up second best. I'm simply happy that Goff is getting the accolades he deserves, just as I'm happy to celebrate the Lombardi that Sean brought to LA. It's just part of the story. If Goff ever wins a Super Bowl it will just be another made for TV movie.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
train
Not really his SOP. He seems to be a guy who will ok the big/expensive moves but he hasn't on any of his other teams got involved in operations. He hires people and lets them do his things with him being the final ok on big ticket items.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Not really his SOP. He seems to be a guy who will ok the big/expensive moves but he hasn't on any of his other teams got involved in operations. He hires people and lets them do his things with him being the final ok on big ticket items.
Imo you may be underestimating Stan a bit. Agree Stan doen't meddle in operations much (except when he told Vermeil how much he liked Warner when Kurt was just a scrub and Stan was just a part owner. But that wasn't meddling, just a football opinion). But I believe he sets the key strategic priorities for the Rams as a business and a football franchise.

Making the Rams credible in LA as soon as possible was exactly such a priority. A necessary step to support and protect the massive investment Kroenke had just made in moving the Rams and building SoFi.

In any event, Stan backed the all-in strategy at every step and to the max. He has never done anything to suggest he's even slightly annoyed with the long list of contract and cap writeoffs the Rams have indulged in. Just as he has backed the breakdown- build back course the Rams are now on, including all the players cut and dead cap space eaten. Not many owners would have done so.

nighttrain

Legend
It's what didn't happen in 2020 with the Rams and the qb they had just signed to a $120m contract.

McVay's public attacks on Goff were a sign of his own immaturity and his frustration at the limitations of his own offense.
Just one issue I have, Goff got his over $120 + contract with McVay the new sheriff in town. McVay must have been on board with this.
train

tempests

Hall of Fame
People don't have to believe me but they cannot and should not discount Taylor.
Zac Taylor never said any of the things you said.

McVay and Goff was a successful collaboration for a few years. You might be trying to sweep it under the rug or act like it never happened but it was. Goff took a giant leap forward in his second season and looked like a darkhorse MVP in his third. Kirk Cousins led the NFL in completion % and was a Pro Bowler the year after. Stafford's first year with McVay was his best season in ten years.

McVay has had five seasons as an OC and HC where his team had a top ten passing offense. His offense and his schemes allows QBs to flourish.

Completely nonsensical to deride McVay's role in Goff's progression as a pro player.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Not sure I agree with that. Listening to the podcast, one of the bigger things I took from it was that Jared himself didn't believe he was far enough along to be able to accomplish as much as McVay envisioned for him. I'm referring to his quote that the NFL doesn't give young QB's enough time to grow into the position anymore.

Jared had a fantastic 2018 season with the highlight being the MNF game against KC. He looked like the real deal but still had some growing to do as evidenced by the Detroit and Chicago games and against New England in the Super Bowl. Those games, IMO, also showed the growth that was needed from McVay.

To put that loss on any one player or coach is a mistake.

I would think McVay was all for signing off on the new contract, but then realized Goff wasn't as far along as he thought. With a short (relatively speaking) SB window with Donald and Kupp, he needed a veteran that could lead them to a Super Bowl win.

Goff had some unbelievable games for the Rams while he was here, is a good dude and has matured a ton from his experiences. I always liked him but could also see the reason for the trade.

McVay and Snead are all about Super Bowls as they should be. To aim for anything less has no place at the NFL level. But to get there is a process that takes time unless you are able and willing to to make sacrifices (big contracts, draft picks, etc.) along the way. Goff was one of those sacrifices both in drafting him and trading him away.

Hope he has a great finish to his career and the snap judgements people are prone to fade with time and success.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Imo you may be underestimating Stan a bit. Agree Stan doen't meddle in operations much (except when he told Vermeil how much he liked Warner when Kurt was just a scrub and Stan was just a part owner. But that wasn't meddling, just a football opinion). But I believe he sets the key strategic priorities for the Rams as a business and a football franchise.

Making the Rams credible in LA as soon as possible was exactly such a priority. A necessary step to support and protect the massive investment Kroenke had just made in moving the Rams and building SoFi.

In any event, Stan backed the all-in strategy at every step and to the max. He has never done anything to suggest he's even slightly annoyed with the long list of contract and cap writeoffs the Rams have indulged in. Just as he has backed the breakdown- build back course the Rams are now on, including all the players cut and dead cap space eaten. Not many owners would have done so.
Agree to disagree I guess. He's not a meddler in operations and has never spoken out about operations of the team. We have seen him just about any time he's talked about any of his teams, and the Rams FYI aren't the only team of his I root for so I've seen this more than just with the Rams, he talks about the people following the process. Yes he wants to win and sets the winning priority but he does not interfere with the process that the people in charge of his teams run. In any of his teams he very rarely fires a coach or gm as well.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
BTW, thanks to whoever bumped this thread. I've never seen a "The Pivot" podcast before. Like these guys.