Jared Goff on The Pivot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
BTW, thanks to whoever bumped this thread. I've never seen a "The Pivot" podcast before. Like these guys.

The Pivot is fantastic!

Raheem Morris had a great conversation with them.

One of the first I heard was from a former NFL player who is now a neuroscientist.

All that I have listened to have been worth it and even a few absolutely incredible

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Goff "one of the biggest reasons" OC Ben Johnson-- in his own words-- didn't leave Detroit for a potential HC position.

Johnson has put together a formidable offense in Detroit. He is now one of the hottest young coaches in the NFL. We now also learn that Bengals HC and former Rams QB coach Zac Taylor, who appears to know something about coaching QBs, never lost confidence in Goff.

The Athletic article-- recommend reading the original--- makes clear that the Detroit offense is substantially based on Johnson's personal and schematic partnership with Goff. They had three very serious days of one on one, nuts and bolts discussions together early in the 2022 offseason about how and what plays would actually work-- including Goff explaining Rams' plays to Johnson. The offense also includes giving Goff a lot more authority to call and change plays than he had with the Rams.

It's shocking to discover that actual, real, two way communication and trust between a QB and coach leads to positive results.
Lead to a Super Bowl for our Rams, didn’t it?

I mean… goddamn.

Tano

Legend
Not sure I agree with that. Listening to the podcast, one of the bigger things I took from it was that Jared himself didn't believe he was far enough along to be able to accomplish as much as McVay envisioned for him. I'm referring to his quote that the NFL doesn't give young QB's enough time to grow into the position anymore.

Jared had a fantastic 2018 season with the highlight being the MNF game against KC. He looked like the real deal but still had some growing to do as evidenced by the Detroit and Chicago games and against New England in the Super Bowl. Those games, IMO, also showed the growth that was needed from McVay.

To put that loss on any one player or coach is a mistake.

I would think McVay was all for signing off on the new contract, but then realized Goff wasn't as far along as he thought. With a short (relatively speaking) SB window with Donald and Kupp, he needed a veteran that could lead them to a Super Bowl win.

Goff had some unbelievable games for the Rams while he was here, is a good dude and has matured a ton from his experiences. I always liked him but could also see the reason for the trade.

McVay and Snead are all about Super Bowls as they should be. To aim for anything less has no place at the NFL level. But to get there is a process that takes time unless you are able and willing to to make sacrifices (big contracts, draft picks, etc.) along the way. Goff was one of those sacrifices both in drafting him and trading him away.

Hope he has a great finish to his career and the snap judgements people are prone to fade with time and success.
I agree. And unfortunately after Goff had a couple really bad games in 2020 (that SF game was really horrible), their relationship took a turn for the worse and Goff had to go. I eventually agreed with the move even before Stafford won a SB for us.