Jared Cook's salary might make him a cap cut/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
image.jpeg
Oddly enough I'm in Las Vegas playing poker at the Venetian. And who happens to walk by me? I asked for a quick pic and wished him luck. Cool dude in person. No matter what I think from a team and value stanpoint I respect the man.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
People saying if we cut him it's one less threat. I gotta ask, is Cook really a threat? Are teams really worried about covering him?

The team is short of pass catchers, but it's not like Cook is what's keeping us above already having one of the least effective passing games in the NFL. One of the worst passing offenses I've ever seen.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As several others have already brought up StL had to pay more for FAs because they have sucked for so long. No surprise there. What is surprising is all the complaining about those drops. In 2015 he had 4, that's one every 4 games. Coming on passes from Foles who couldn't hit the FREAKING STANDS.

Could he produce more, yes. And he could have been used a lot better too.

Who replaces him if he's cut? Kendricks is essentially the same guy and in fact had a higher percentage of drops.

I guess I can see a lot of problems with this offense and yes Cook attributed to those problems but if they don't have an answer for a replacement I think there are worse problems.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Saying that Cook is the best receiver on this team is like saying your girlfriend is the prettiest hog in the feed lot!
Worth keeping but not at that price.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The fact that he is average as a receiving tight end and is who opposing teams game plan for, tells me you must cut him and move on! He is a poor blocker, a poor leader, and average in receiving production. You can get better than that with the 5 million saved. I say draft a tight end and use the money saved to make sure the defense stays intact.

Yes I agree but does anyone even know if there is even a comparable TE that the Rams will be in position to draft. They probably value other positions in the draft more. They could trade picks to move up for a QB. They need WRs and a DE and MLB. Right now Cook is one of the best weapons they have and it is risky to let rookie receivers ers be the focus of the defense, until you know they can handle it.

In the end Cook could be cut to free up money to sign other players. But with cap expansion that may not be necessary. Fisher may think he is too valuable even as a threat to cut. Plus his play improved as the season wore on.

I just don't think that cutting Cook is the lock that many fans believe it is.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'd have no problem with his salary if his production was commensurate with the same. It's not even close.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'd have no problem with his salary if his production was commensurate with the same. It's not even close.
Not even close?

13th in average salary per year, 21st in yards 2015, 19th in targets, 7th in ave yards per catch.

Your assumption does not match the stats.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Not even close?

13th in average salary per year, 21st in yards 2015, 19th in targets, 7th in ave yards per catch.

Your assumption does not match the stats.

At his salary, he should be a difference maker. He's not.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't think that cutting Cook is the lock that many fans believe it is.

Exactly. Some posters are calling for JL to be cut, and Cook, and Saffold, and Long. Well, the Rams only have 6 picks. They are not going to be able to draft quality replacements for all of these, plus any other players they lose. Plus get a QB. Do posters really believe that JL and his QBing of the defense will be easily replaced? Given how weak the receiving corps is, do they really think the Rams can upgrade it while cutting their most productive receiver? Do they not realize cutting Long means they will need to add 1-2 DEs?

Resources are finite. If a player is overpaid, but not truly way overpaid in NFL terms, he will need to be kept.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO this is an easy decision. I wouldn't want to restructure him if I was the GM I'd just want to try another guy and save some money.

He's a goner IMO.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
At his salary, he should be a difference maker. He's not.
At his salary, he should be an average TE that is what he is. His 75 targets doesn't get him close to difference maker.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
At his salary, he should be an average TE that is what he is. His 75 targets doesn't get him close to difference maker.

He's one of the highest paid TEs in the league. So no, he should not be average. And your stats don't back up your argument either. Your leaving out some pretty important stats all together. Maybe mention that he's near the top of the league in drops year after year. Or that he's a horrid blocker. Or that for some reason, despite being a giant, he can't score a TD to save his life lately. How do you not accidentally score at least one TD? He should be a redzone threat. But he's a non factor. That's not what i would call "bang for your buck".

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Exactly. Some posters are calling for JL to be cut, and Cook, and Saffold, and Long. Well, the Rams only have 6 picks. They are not going to be able to draft quality replacements for all of these, plus any other players they lose. Plus get a QB. Do posters really believe that JL and his QBing of the defense will be easily replaced? Given how weak the receiving corps is, do they really think the Rams can upgrade it while cutting their most productive receiver? Do they not realize cutting Long means they will need to add 1-2 DEs? Resources are finite. If a player is overpaid, but not truly way overpaid in NFL terms, he will need to be kept.
Yes I am calling for 4 highly paid under performing Rams to be released with a few possible restructured. Why would I do this??

Reason #1-Rams are due to pay JL,long, Cook & Saffold over 65 million the next few seasons. Sure would be nice to invest that 65 million in upgrades instead of worn out unhealthy & under performing Rams.

Reason #2- So the Rams can enter into competitions in bidding reasonable contracts for the UFA Rams they prefer in order to retain the 8 or 9 starters who are no longer under Ram contracts.

Reason #3- In addition place the Rams in a position to be able to bid for a few high performing non Ram UFA's who can improve our very weak starting positions.

Example... if you release a weak LB'er like JL you can retain play-making LB'er like Mark Barron to team him with Alex Ogletree. These two Lbers are every-down players meaning there not much of a demand in Gregg's defense for a 3rd Lb'er. Rams have other non rookie LB'ers signed like Ayers- Hager & Lynch who can assume that part time role. No holes there. Another example....I release a weak worn down CL & you can add a stronger better healthier William Hayes to play with younger DE's like Ethan Westbrooks & John Longacre no holes there. As far as Saffold's hole in the roster ?? Rams have 11 other OL'ers signed presently , that's more than any time since Fisher arrived in 2012. No hole there. Finally there's Jared Cook if he departs the Rams have two TE's under contract Lance Kendricks & Justice Cunningham so there is no major hole here but here where you could use a draft pick for a pass catching rookie @ TE.

In my small minded NFL world you do not let play-makers WALK to take their play making abilities elsewhere so I can retain long time non performing worn out players because it hurts to let them go unless you want the first initial draft selection in the 2017 NFL draft.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He's one of the highest paid TEs in the league. So no, he should not be average. And your stats don't back up your argument either. Your leaving out some pretty important stats all together. Maybe mention that he's near the top of the league in drops year after year. Or that he's a horrid blocker. Or that for some reason, despite being a giant, he can't score a TD to save his life lately. How do you not accidentally score at least one TD? He should be a redzone threat. But he's a non factor. That's not what i would call "bang for your buck".
What do you consider "one of the highest paid in the league", his contract is 13th. He had 4 drops which is not close to the top for all receivers tied for 2nd most for TEs in comparison Mike Evans had the most drops at 11. How many red zone targets did he get?

http://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

WvuIN02

Starter
Cook had 0 tds this year. Not sure how you could consider that a threat?

Hunter Henry in round 2. Soft hands, Mackey award winner, can block, kids gonna be a beast.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I understand

To be real honest I could not care less what these guys make I just want them to be healthy and play like they are trying. I see effort from the guys on this team, rarely do I see guys taking plays off. Could Cook do better? Yeah him and nearly every player on the roster. Thinking a guy that gets half the number of targets as guys he is being compared to is just lame IMO. Evaluating production vs $$ there is a lot more to it than a spreadsheet. And none of us have the whole picture.