Jared Cook's salary might make him a cap cut/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jared Cook's salary might make him a cap cut
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/26857/jared-cooks-salary-might-make-him-a-cap-cut

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- We're moving closer to the start of the new league year and, along with it, the start of free agency. Which means over the next few weeks, the Los Angeles Rams will be taking a long look at the players already on the roster and determining whether they're worth their projected salary cap numbers.

Some teams have already begun the process of releasing high-priced veterans to create salary cap room. So this week, we'll take a look at some players who will come under the microscope for the Rams. (All numbers courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info)

Player: TE Jared Cook

Contract status: Signed through 2017.

2016 cap hit: $8,300,441

Potential savings: $5,699,558

Why he could go: For the most part, Cook's production as a Ram falls in line with what he did for the Tennessee Titans. That would be fine except for the fact that the production hasn't met the high price the Rams have paid him. Cook has also drawn criticism for his issues with drops and struggles as a blocker. Perhaps more than that, though, is the fact that Cook isn't really a fit for what the Rams want to be offensively. When the team signed him in 2013, it did so with the intent of spreading things out and throwing the ball all over the field. One Rams personnel executive said at the time that Cook was the perfect oversized slot receiver for what the Rams were trying to become. But that experiment only lasted four games before coach Jeff Fisher scrapped it and went back to his running game roots. In doing so, it put Cook in a spot where he was asked to perform as an inline blocker more than he had at any point in his career. It's a role that doesn't really fit Cook's skill set and has left him miscast in the Rams offense. The Rams also spent a good chunk of money to re-sign Lance Kendricks last year and have Cory Harkey set to hit free agency this year. Add all of that to a salary that makes him one of the highest paid tight ends in the league, a team that could use some extra funds to re-sign its own free agents and you have the recipe for a potential parting of ways.

Why he could stay: Since Cook signed in 2013, he's been the team's most productive receiving target. He's posted 142 catches for 1,786 yards and eight touchdowns in that time, with the first two numbers representing the highest numbers on the team. While the Rams should undoubtedly be in the market for a pass-catcher or two who can put up much better numbers than those, Cook has been durable and his overall production puts him in the top half of tight ends in the league. Cook ranks 13th in receiving yards and 14th in receptions among all tight ends since 2013 (though he's also tied for second in drops). And while he's still not a consistent blocker, his coaches believe he showed improvement in that regard as 2015 wore on. If the Rams release Cook, they'll need to find a pass catching tight end to replace him, which means they'd be creating yet another need on a roster that could have many.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His play should make him a cap cut. The expensive salary just makes it a must.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He is overpriced. I wonder if he would take a pay cut. Cut and resign. I hate his drops and sulking but one thing that always sticks in my memory is when a player from one of the Rams opponents this year was interviewed about what they game plan around on the anemic offense. He said, "That big TE" He was talking about Cook. If nothing else he is a threat that teams worry about. If they cut him then there is one less threat for teams to game plan around. His blocking did improve over the course of the year. I think the Rams would like to keep him at a lower price. If they can afford him they just keep him for sake of not having to replace him.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
He is overpriced. I wonder if he would take a pay cut. Cut and resign. I hate his drops and sulking but one thing that always sticks in my memory is when a player from one of the Rams opponents this year was interviewed about what they game plan around on the anemic offense. He said, "That big TE" He was talking about Cook. If nothing else he is a threat that teams worry about. If they cut him then there is one less threat for teams to game plan around. His blocking did improve over the course of the year. I think the Rams would like to keep him at a lower price. If they can afford him they just keep him for sake of not having to replace him.
I don't think he's near the liability that we've made him out to be. He's been an easy scapegoat for an offense that was in a bad way before a dropped 3rd down pass or a contested catch in the end zone that didn't go his way. I think it speaks more to the fact that Foles was looking more at Cook in the early part of the year WITH the struggles he was having, than he was looking to Britt or Steddy, Quick was of course MIA.

All that said, yeah I think he's a cap victim. I'm certainly not any happier about Kendricks becoming the #1 TE. That's probably another step backwards, in my opinion.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I was okay with him until this last season. WAY too many drops and mental errors. It almost looked like he was just going through the motions. I think it's time to cut him and move on.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I say cut him. He's not worth the anguish of all those drops. Find a receiving tight end for certain packages and let Kendricks be the blocking guy. He can catch passes too. Maybe the lights in LA are better than the dome.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
These reports are so late all the time, alot of us have been calling for this cut awhile now. His contract was stupid to begin with, he never did anything to get that kind of money.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Should have been cut 2 years ago due to poor play and effort. He actually came on pretty strong towards the end of last year. Too little, too late. Cut him.

Ram65

Legend
I supported Cook in the past. One reason was the Rams are so thin @ pass catchers. Cook wasn't reliable on the needed quick hit slants. He wasn't and isn't the reliable go to guy the Rams need. His cost is not worth his production. If he gets cut the Rams have to have a plan to bring in some pass catchers. If he takes a nice pay cut the Rams can get some production out of him in a rotation roll.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't we give Kendrick's a pretty big contract last year for a back up, or am I wrong? If we did, that is more writing on the wall than his cap status. I am fine with Kendricks, Harkey, and drafting a young guy.

Ram Man

Rookie
Cooks and Kendricks have not played up to their contracts. I'm sure the team regrets signing those deals up. In fairness, Cooks was a bad fit in the Rams offense. That's not his fault. Still, I'm sure the Rams wish they could cut him without the dead money hit. Sam for Kendricks.

As I've said before, the Rams had to overpay for talent because people didn't want to play their for various reasons. I expect that will be true this off season as well, although it will be fore mostly different reasons.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The way I saw it at the time, they had to over pay Cook to come to St Lou. It was a losing franchise in the midwest and not somewhere a player would look to sign for anything but top $. He has performed pretty well in spite of the drops IMO. Until we get another WR to threaten the outside, he will be wasted on the same crossing routes we see him running now. He would be an absolute monster as a seem buster and can really help this offense if he can be used appropriately. He would compliment a good WR corp very well if you ask me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I supported Cook in the past. One reason was the Rams are so thin @ pass catchers. Cook wasn't reliable on the needed quick hit slants. He wasn't and isn't the reliable go to guy the Rams need. His cost is not worth his production. If he gets cut the Rams have to have a plan to bring in some pass catchers. If he takes a nice pay cut the Rams can get some production out of him in a rotation roll.

There in lies the problem. Shitcan Cook and the Rams have one fewer threats for opponents to worry about. I would be all for it if there were other players on the offense for teams to worry about, but there really aren't.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cooks and Kendricks have not played up to their contracts. I'm sure the team regrets signing those deals up. In fairness, Cooks was a bad fit in the Rams offense. That's not his fault. Still, I'm sure the Rams wish they could cut him without the dead money hit. Sam for Kendricks.

As I've said before, the Rams had to overpay for talent because people didn't want to play their for various reasons. I expect that will be true this off season as well, although it will be fore mostly different reasons.
So they have vastly overpaid for a very poor performing Jared Cook then overpaid for life long back up Lance Kendricks who back up both Cook & Cory Harkey. Now Cory who has done all the dirty nasty hard work & does his job very well in comparison to the former mentioned......WHERE will the cap $$$ come from to get him a well earned new contract? Its an easy call here Jared Cook should have been release yesterday or last year IMO.
There in lies the problem. Shitcan Cook and the Rams have one fewer threats for opponents to worry about. I would be all for it if there were other players on the offense for teams to worry about, but there really aren't.
Not really sure that defenses really loose sleep on having to cover Jared Cook. They may prefer that he runs free & get wide open....then stay close to him & as the balls fly through or balls bounce off or balls just drops from his hands .....simply catch it or just recover it! Ericka TURNOVER!

I could care less if Jared Cook remains here or not I just want his near 17 million in cap savings (2016/2017) when we terminate his contract...invest it in a few FA WR's. Cook just might be able to back up his replacement Justice Cunningham who I am confident would worry defenses much more.

Last edited:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Bye-Bye, can't afford to keep him when their are many other players that need resigned. Grab Bayer again and the Rams will be fine.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm amazed that some think keeping or releasing Cook is even debatable, with all,due respect.

Let's see...

A whopping 8 TD's in 3 years? Is that a misprint?

Tied for 2nd with most drops for TE's in '15?

An opportunity to save $5.7 million in cap dollars to be much better spent on an actually productive and ascending Ram FA?

An anemic run blocker on an allegedly run oriented team?

While much better options for a TE in the draft, or a more productive and less expensive TE in FA are available? Either of which would very likely be a better teammate and role model.

This is a no brainer, fellas. I just don't see a downside to releasing Cook this offseason.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Since Cook signed in 2013, he's been the team's most productive receiving target. He's posted 142 catches for 1,786 yards and eight touchdowns in that time, with the first two numbers representing the highest numbers on the team. While the Rams should undoubtedly be in the market for a pass-catcher or two who can put up much better numbers than those, Cook has been durable and his overall production puts him in the top half of tight ends in the league. Cook ranks 13th in receiving yards and 14th in receptions among all tight ends since 2013
Very few see this....

though he's also tied for second in drops
and only notice this....

Cook isn't great, but he's not terrible either...As far as the article, I like to look at dead-money, more than "potential savings"...see, I could care less about saving money, or the team saving money...that isn't outrageous...If his salary is $8.3 mil, and the savings is $5.6 mil if cut...does that mean there'll be $2.7 mil dead money?

@BonifayRam ...you cold!!!!! ahahahhaha...

I doubt Cook makes it through a season....after his dead money hit goes down...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not really sure that defenses really loose sleep on having to cover Jared Cook.

Read my earlier post on the subject. Cook is a guy that teams worry about. He is big fast and athletic. He can beat defenses that are not worried about him. If he catches the ball, which seems to be a 50/50 proposition these days. The Rams would have beaten Pittsburgh because Cook was let to run free and he dropped a sure TD. It is the threat of Cook that is of value. However he makes too much money.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Read my earlier post on the subject. Cook is a guy that teams worry about. He is big fast and athletic. He can beat defenses that are not worried about him. If he catches the ball, which seems to be a 50/50 proposition these days. The Rams would have beaten Pittsburgh because Cook was let to run free and he dropped a sure TD. It is the threat of Cook that is of value. However he makes too much money.
The fact that he is average as a receiving tight end and is who opposing teams game plan for, tells me you must cut him and move on! He is a poor blocker, a poor leader, and average in receiving production. You can get better than that with the 5 million saved. I say draft a tight end and use the money saved to make sure the defense stays intact.