Janoris Jenkins being targeted by refs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Think it's clear he's regressed his 2nd year, but w/e...2nd year CB developing.

My issue is that based on listening to the radio feed and following you guys on the chat, is that Janoris gets hit with flags more times than not. Some may be legit, but it feels like a lot are "maybe" calls, that a lot of times don't get thrown when they're allowed to play.

Now this leads me to Janoris has a person. Since he's been here, it's not like he's been a nuisance off field. To me it feels like his previous off field rep is being made into something to watch by the refs and it hurts on gameday. His on field stuff i.e. trash talking. I don't like it, except it's not like he's the only one who does it around the NFL.

fearsomefour

Legend
I cant imagine the refs care or even know of his off field history. The guy holds constantly….most CBs do. I think he is not all that refined in his PI yet and if he is running vs teams 1 then more balls are coming his way. All season maybe two or three calls were bad. Jenkins, along with this whole Rams D needs to check their attitude about how great they, shut their mouths and work very hard at getting better.

ausmurp

Starter
I think we need to convert him to FS. He is just not good at covering WRs it seems. He was great last year, not sure how he regressed so bad. But I think he could be a ballhawk FS. Then draft that dude from Michigan State in 1st rd, Dennard. And yeah draft their FS too, Drummond. Those 2 guys made some amazing coverage plays vs Ohio State, I came away very impressed and immediately thought the Rams should draft one or both...

A55VA6

Legend
Everytime Jenkins even TOUCHES a guy on a route he's flagged. Terrible calls if you ask me.

fearsomefour

Legend
Everytime Jenkins even TOUCHES a guy on a route he's flagged. Terrible calls if you ask me.
I only remeber the first PI vs. Janoris yesterday….did he have more than one? On the first one he was holding the WRs arm as he went up for the ball, PI all day.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I cant imagine the refs care or even know of his off field history. The guy holds constantly….most CBs do. I think he is not all that refined in his PI yet and if he is running vs teams 1 then more balls are coming his way. All season maybe two or three calls were bad. Jenkins, along with this whole Rams D needs to check their attitude about how great they, shut their mouths and work very hard at getting better.

Like I said I'm going off the radio feeds and the chat rooms.

I also don't know the extent of their attitude except it's being made out that they are classless. I don't see it. I've never or even seen anything about them saying how great they are. There might be a couple like Janoris Jenkins that might be more arrogant, but the D as a whole? I don't think so.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think he talks too much and begs attention thereby

A55VA6

Legend
I only remeber the first PI vs. Janoris yesterday….did he have more than one? On the first one he was holding the WRs arm as he went up for the ball, PI all day.
He got called for a few others too I believe, I think they called illegal contact and holding on those other calls but I'm not exactly sure. I look around the league and refs are calling some bullshit calls out in the secondary. I played CB from pop warner to high school and I took pride in learning and perfecting that position. Some of these calls in the league right now are way wrong. You even touch the WR and they're throwing the flag.

fearsomefour

Legend
He got called for a few others too I believe, I think they called illegal contact and holding on those other calls but I'm not exactly sure. I look around the league and refs are calling some bullshit calls out in the secondary. I played CB from pop warner to high school and I took pride in learning and perfecting that position. Some of these calls in the league right now are way wrong. You even touch the WR and they're throwing the flag.

The NFL is becoming dangerously close to being the CFL….trying to manufacture offense. Just let the game be the game. A well played 17-14 game can be as tense and exciting as a game that is 41-38. What really makes a game not exciting is having constant interuptions for bad calls or constant reviews.
As for CBs, the way it is written contact after 5 yards is a penalty. There is contact on nearly every route. You just have to be sly about it or a little lucky. I cant imagine what Dan Fouts, Marino ect would put up with these rules.
When I was coaching (same low level you were talking about playing) I would look for kids that could change direction as being me CBs and LB. Straight line speed is very overrated at the position at the lower levels.

V3

Hall of Fame
Jenkins' penalties could be a product of the team's lack of discipline. The team as a whole plays with very little discipline and gets called for A LOT of penalties. Many are warranted, some are not. When you get labeled as a team that commits a lot of penalties, the refs start looking for them instead of just calling what they see. Right or wrong, that's what happens when you get a label. That's why it's so imperative that Fisher clean it up and start MAKING the players play with more control. If they can't do it, play someone else who can.

Jenkins has also regressed quite a bit, as well. He's not playing the ball and refs will call that every time now. The zone scheme also doesn't fit him well. He performs best in a man scheme. He gets caught looking in the backfield instead of watching his guy. That happens less when he's up on his guy on the line.

Angry Ram

Jenkins' penalties could be a product of the team's lack of discipline. The team as a whole plays with very little discipline and gets called for A LOT of penalties. Many are warranted, some are not. When you get labeled as a team that commits a lot of penalties, the refs start looking for them instead of just calling what they see. Right or wrong, that's what happens when you get a label. That's why it's so imperative that Fisher clean it up and start MAKING the players play with more control. If they can't do it, play someone else who can.

Jenkins has also regressed quite a bit, as well. He's not playing the ball and refs will call that every time now. The zone scheme also doesn't fit him well. He performs best in a man scheme. He gets caught looking in the backfield instead of watching his guy. That happens less when he's up on his guy on the line.

I can't honestly think of one player that gets called that much on a consistent basis. Chris Long maybe?

Maybe the STers, b/c they are mostly late round picks and UDFAs, but that seems like it has died down lately.

V3

Hall of Fame
I can't honestly think of one player that gets called that much on a consistent basis. Chris Long maybe?

Maybe the STers, b/c they are mostly late round picks and UDFAs, but that seems like it has died down lately.

JJ is targeted. The refs come into the game knowing St. Louis is a penalty-heavy team so they start looking(instead of reacting to) for them. Since JJ is known for having a lot of penalties, they call anything that's even close against him. That's how I feel, at least.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
The refs should be the least of his worries, he is targetted by every qb we play against and every wr. I hope he finds what ever it is that he lost

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
JJ needs to shut his pie hole till he can make some plays to back it up. I think he brings some of it on himself. Bpot = Biggest Poser on team.

Angry Ram

JJ is targeted. The refs come into the game knowing St. Louis is a penalty-heavy team so they start looking(instead of reacting to) for them. Since JJ is known for having a lot of penalties, they call anything that's even close against him. That's how I feel, at least.

I agree.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
JJ's biggest problem to me was having Finnegan to "look up to". He shows the same attitude and is not playing up to his act. Make the plays STFU and go back to the huddle. This team has been so bad for so long no one needs to be showing other players up. Hell the best player on the team is the punter!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
JJ's biggest problem to me was having Finnegan to "look up to". He shows the same attitude and is not playing up to his act. Make the plays STFU and go back to the huddle. This team has been so bad for so long no one needs to be showing other players up. Hell the best player on the team is the punter!!!
And even he ran his damn mouth after sort of getting in on a tackle vs. the Cardinals.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Nofice how all our DBs regressed? Coaching, coaching, coaching.

Weather it be not correcting wrong technique or teaching wrong technique...there's no way two promising corners and one stud corner regress all at the same time naturally.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Jenkins' penalties could be a product of the team's lack of discipline. The team as a whole plays with very little discipline and gets called for A LOT of penalties.

IMO, Jenkins gets a lot of penalties because he is a bit undersized and not strong enough to be a physical, press corner. Honestly, I like the fight in him, and I think the best solution for him would be to hit the weight room. We need to get 6'0+ corner, and play the matchup game in nickel sets.