Janoris Jenkins being targeted by refs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JJ's biggest problem to me was having Finnegan to "look up to". He shows the same attitude and is not playing up to his act. Make the plays STFU and go back to the huddle. This team has been so bad for so long no one needs to be showing other players up. Hell the best player on the team is the punter!!!

Well so does Trumaine. He's night and day compared to Janoris, at least that's the impression I get. I don't remember Cortland Finnegan getting hit with flag after flag (last year).

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The entire Rams organization is being targeted by the Refs, not just JJ.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I only remeber the first PI vs. Janoris yesterday….did he have more than one? On the first one he was holding the WRs arm as he went up for the ball, PI all day.

Disagree with this take. He grabbed the WR's arm closest to his body that was shielded from the refs and hooked it. That's routine play for a CB and the refs rarely call it. Watch a lot of the top CBs, they love to do the same thing especially on go routes. They'll hook the inside arm and force the WR to try and make a one handed catch over the shoulder.

And then he got a completely BS illegal contact call on a clean pass break-up against Fitzgerald. It was a 6 or 7 yard route max and somehow Jenkins managed to contact him outside the 5 yard zone illegally before the pass was thrown. Bull. Refs knew they couldn't call PI and grasped at straws for a foul.

He's definitely a guy that doesn't get the BOTD. Watch Richard Sherman and Browner hold all day long and you'll see how ridiculous the treatment is for some players compared to them. It's like the roughing the passer calls against Brady/Manning vs. lesser QBs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
JJ is targeted. The refs come into the game knowing St. Louis is a penalty-heavy team so they start looking(instead of reacting to) for them. Since JJ is known for having a lot of penalties, they call anything that's even close against him. That's how I feel, at least.
Yep. You and i have been seeing this all season. The Rams have a "rep" and its that they commit a ton of penalties....thus they draw alot of flags.
Officialls conduct pre-game meetings if i'm not mistaken, and i wouldn't doubt that they discuss certain players to watch closely(N.Suh for instance).

This crap has been going on in the NBA for decades....one of the reasons i don't watch that agenda-driven,star-powered garbage anymore.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
JJ is targeted. The refs come into the game knowing St. Louis is a penalty-heavy team so they start looking(instead of reacting to) for them. Since JJ is known for having a lot of penalties, they call anything that's even close against him. That's how I feel, at least.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I agree on both fronts, the dude is a target but he just needs to shut his damn mouth and play ball. Great example, later in the game Jenkins gets beat for a nice catch along the sideline and he gets up flailing his arms incomplete. Didn't even watch the guy make the catch, just assumed he made a good enough play on the ball to swat it away.
I really want to see him succeed and build off what he did his rookie year, but it seems he's just doing the exact opposite of what he did as a rookie.

fearsomefour

Legend
Disagree with this take. He grabbed the WR's arm closest to his body that was shielded from the refs and hooked it. That's routine play for a CB and the refs rarely call it. Watch a lot of the top CBs, they love to do the same thing especially on go routes. They'll hook the inside arm and force the WR to try and make a one handed catch over the shoulder.

And then he got a completely BS illegal contact call on a clean pass break-up against Fitzgerald. It was a 6 or 7 yard route max and somehow Jenkins managed to contact him outside the 5 yard zone illegally before the pass was thrown. Bull. Refs knew they couldn't call PI and grasped at straws for a foul.

He's definitely a guy that doesn't get the BOTD. Watch Richard Sherman and Browner hold all day long and you'll see how ridiculous the treatment is for some players compared to them. It's like the roughing the passer calls against Brady/Manning vs. lesser QBs.

It doesnt matter if you like it or not it is pass interference. Sherman is the worst with the holding, like you said, a lot of top CBs get away with stuff he is getting called for. Maybe it is like the NBA and it is a rep thing, maybe some guys are better at hiding than others. But you cant say grabbing a receivers arm as he is going for the ball is not PI because someone else might not get called for it. I tried that defence once with a speeding ticket.
The whole problem with PI, Illegal Contact ect as the rules are written now is the same problem the NBA has with foul calls….for the most part that all turn into judgement calls.
The PI call that all buy gave the Cheatriots the win over the Browns was a perfect example. The idiot ref calls PI in the endzone when the CB didnt even have contact in the end zone, a hold call would have been more appropriate, but, 5 yards would not have ensured a win for Brady. That was as close to a fix on a game as I have seen in a long time (granted NE still had to recover an onside kick).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesnt matter if you like it or not it is pass interference.

There's an old say, "The refs could call holding on every play if they wanted to." Same applies here. There is going to always be some contact between the WRs and CBs. If you really want to stretch the rule, you can call it whenever you want to. Like the Browns/Patriots example you pointed to. Because I agree, that was a completely legal play.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
He may get called on a few here and there that any other big named CB might not be called on but I don't think he's being targeted before the games by the refs. Did he talk about Rodgers wife or something, if so, then maybe. Maybe since he's become penalty prone the WR's are taking advantage of the refs and crying about everything? I can believe that more. I will say when they stopped him from turning that fumble into 7 on Sunday, that was fucking bullshit!

fancents86

Starter
Nofice how all our DBs regressed? Coaching, coaching, coaching.

Weather it be not correcting wrong technique or teaching wrong technique...there's no way two promising corners and one stud corner regress all at the same time naturally.

This all day. Don't understand why so many people don't realize this.

fearsomefour

Legend
There's an old say, "The refs could call holding on every play if they wanted to." Same applies here. There is going to always be some contact between the WRs and CBs. If you really want to stretch the rule, you can call it whenever you want to. Like the Browns/Patriots example you pointed to. Because I agree, that was a completely legal play.
Yeah I hear ya, I get the point you are trying to make. I guess the thing that bugs me is I dont buy there is some conspiracy against the Rams. Just seems like weak excuse making…..I am not talking about you specifically or the posters here in general, just tired of saying the refs lost the game for the Rams. Jenkins holds a lot as do most CBs, I think the likely reason he is getting called a lot is he is not refined in how he does it. Or maybe there is (I hope this is not the case) a unspoken system in place where senior players dont get calls that younger guys do (the NBA example).
The first rule I instituted when I was coaching (this was just with kids, not at any sort of high level) was I wanted to hear no complaining about the refs, no matter how bad they were….and generally they were terrible.