Jalen Ramsey Signs 5yr Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1303697546691440645

The LA Rams are making Jalen Ramsey the highest paid defensive back in NFL history and by a wide margin. The extension is for $105M over 5 years ($21M per year) & has $71.2M in guarantees at signing. This brings the DB market into a new stratosphere.

Money bag

Money bag

Money bag

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
71.2 mill guaranteed.

Sorry chaps I'm having trouble embedding the tweets.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
In before the "overpaid" posts.

Never had any doubt he would resign. Some of y'all were worried for no reason. :ROFLMAO:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
ugh, never a big fan of market setting contracts. Outside of a Aaron Donald or franchise QB big contracts are never a good thing. Biggest fear is we are getting very top heavy with our roster, ultimately this will effect our depth.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not a cap guru but perhaps someone who is can explain - we were by some accounts $500k over the cap as of yesterday - how did we manage to fit a deal of this magnitude in?

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please tell me this doesn’t mean we lose Kupp down the road?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I am not a cap guru but perhaps someone who is can explain - we were by some accounts $500k over the cap as of yesterday - how did we manage to fit a deal of this magnitude in?
Extension so not this year starts after current contract ends

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are things that can be done. For instance this is an extension so they rework this year into the deal moving the 2020 cap hit from $13.7 million to say $3.7 million and move the other $10 million into a bonus thus freeing up room this year. This is just an example not saying they did this. But the issue with this is that other $10 million has to be accounted for in future years. So you give yourself cap space this year but hurt cap space the next few years.

Dallas just did the same with an OLinemans contract. Freed up $8 million this year but they'll spread that out over future years. I'd wager KD is his usually sly self and Ramsey's big cap hit year is 2022. Ramsey will get his but because of accounting tricks the bulk of his money shows up on the books in a year we have a lot of cap. Kupp when he's signed will be the same thing but in say 2023. It's all math and accounting games.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
YES, YES, YES! YES! MORE YES! EVEN MORE YES! STILL MORE YES! YET MORE YES! ALL MY FUCKING YES!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THAT NEWS MAKES ME HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Please tell me this doesn’t mean we lose Kupp down the road?

Its a legit possibility. At some point there will be no room for 2nd year contracts for really good players. Big contracts will effect your middle and upper middle class players and veteran depth.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
ugh, never a big fan of market setting contracts. Outside of a Aaron Donald or franchise QB big contracts are never a good thing. Biggest fear is we are getting very top heavy with our roster, ultimately this will effect our depth.
Yeah. Having too much money tied up in a few players does seem to cap a team's potential. As long as the players are stars and they stay healthy, it at least gives you a nice floor to build from. I' still feel it's a nice predicament compared to what we all went through for over a decade.