1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jake Matthews grade from preaseason

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by SteveBrown, Aug 12, 2014.

1. LACHAMP46 Well-Known Member

somewhere I saw a -1.2 or -0.2...PFF Not sure where I saw it....only 30-40 plays...weird....take no real stock in it.

Boston Ram likes this.
  2. yrba1 PikaRam

Wanted Matthews also but with Boudreau coaching Robinson up, I'm feeling more comfortable with the pick.

3. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

I'd pick Robinson over Matthews any day.

DR RAM likes this.
  4. blue4 Well-Known Member

My point was we needed quality help on the line more than WR. Also, to not notice that JLong, Saffold, and Wells get hurt at a greater rate than other players would be irresponsible IMO. I realize the game is injury prone, but one only needs to look at the roll call at the trainers office to notice some players names are familiar.

5. F. Mulder Active Member

I love Robinson but anyone who is thinking Mathews is not going to be an above average consistent OT for years to come is crazy. I would take an entire line filled with JMs.

6. HE WITH HORNS Well-Known Member

I think this is a topic that needs to come up at the end of the season, and see how each guy fares. I know some people would have rather drafted Matthews, so this is a good comparison.

But give both guys time to learn the game a little bit first, it's a little early to judge either player yet.

7. JackDRams Member

Bust. Everyone knows, that if your a top pick you should be elite from day 1. Bust.

8. rams56 Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold

I loved the Greg Williams pick... I would have been just as happy with Mathews or Watkins.... and although I will not attempt to guess whose career will be better I will say this..... I watched the call.... holding on the long TD run and that would have been tough to take.....In my opinion was a good block....Go Rams..... ;)

9. rams56 Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold

Lol Oops Greg Robinson. ... lol

10. PolarBear Member

A) Jake Mathew went against Cameron Wake, one of the top nfl pass rushers, for the majority of the night.
    B) Mathews is a way more polished player with lower upside than Robinson, if Robinson becomes better than Mathews by the end of the preseason, we would have undoubtedly made the right decision to pick Robinson over Mathews.
    C) Mathews was never in the running to be drafted #2, in fact Zach Martin was rated higher on their board.

rams56 likes this.
  11. PolarBear Member

you can edit it as long as no one quotes that post first. It is on bottom of post with a pencil to the left of of it in a square.

12. rams56 Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold

Thanks...sry....;)

13. Boston Ram Member

Good stuff, thanks!

14. Boston Ram Member

Thanks!

15. JRobinson MiLB

I, like others, wanted Robinson. I believe that he was the guy all along. We are running the football boys and in doing that, we selected the best run blocking and athletic OL in the draft. Now, if we were a passing team, I would have wanted Matthews. Why? Because in this case, I'd want to have a better pass protector who needs to improve on the run rather than the opposite. But because of our scheme and point of emphasis, Greg Robinson is the better choice for us.

I was also the guy screaming for DeCastro, and Cooper. But, I'm glad we ended up with the players that we did. I'm just a firm believer in building from the trenches out and I'm glad we addressed it with Robinson.

jjab360, PolarBear and rams56 like this.
  16. rams56 Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold

I didn't know that about Martin. .... wow that would have been a reach at no 2 or inside the top ten....at least in my opinion. ...Back to Mathews and Watkins....was thinking if the rams traded down further in the first ten picks....imo.....Martin's value was right around were he was drafted....just my thoughts.....go Robinson. ...Go Rams..... ;)

17. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

They both have a chance to be great players in this league, for sure.

I just feel Matthews is almost a finished product. Robinson has some room to improve and has some adjusting to do, but I'd take his size/athletic ability over Matthews. Especially in the offense we're running.

rams56 likes this.
  18. tahoe Obsessed Ramaholic

I wanted Zack Martin (and Watkins...) because he is a better pass blocker than Robinson and a better run blocker than Matthews.

rams56 likes this.
  19. TheDYVKX THE D

I loved Matthews at the time and he was my #1 guy and still is, but I am excited and happy to have Robinson, so I had no problem with the pick. Didn't think we could have gone wrong whatsoever.

Week 1 preseason games have no effect on how a player might turn out though. It means nothing. Jake Matthews will still be the guy I thought he would be.

rams56 and F. Mulder like this.
  20. Mojo Ram On double secret probation

I was a Robinson/Donald guy all along...so if these guys bust out i'll be a man about it and blame Snead. :)

DR RAM, PolarBear and BigRamFan like this.