Jake Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I don't know anything about his health currently, or when he would be able to come back, or if he has the desire to do so. My question would be; IF he is interested in coming back, is he not a better option at right tackle than Barksdale? He is only 30, so a 1 year prove it deal at a bargain rate might be a better option than backing up the truck for Wis, Barks, or Blalock.

He can't get Bradford hurt again, so there is that too.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It would be a nice surprise if he could come back and play on a prove it contract. If he could hold down a starting gig at RT or LG, it could be huge for the OL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No thanks, I don't want Fisher banking on Long being a starter. It would be Davin Joseph all over again. Once they get a body in there they are married to him. I prefer they draft a guy first and then if they are concerned about the position, sign a vet.

But I think Long is too far gone with all of the injuries.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he'll come back cheap, I wouldn't be opposed to him competing for the RT job or being a swing OT. But that wouldn't stop me from drafting a guy or alter my draft plans in any way.

So I'd say yes...if he's cheap. Although, I'd prefer Barksdale if he's also cheap solely because he's young and has been durable.

WestCoastRam

Legend
JT seems to believe that ship has sailed. For what it's worth, I've never been that down on JT's reporting and what little knowledge (aside from the Bradford) trade that he actually spits out does seem to be tied to knowing some bits from the Rams on moves. I believe him when he says Long ain't coming back.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
If he is able to play, I think he's still better than Barksdale will ever be. Barksdale is not bad, but will never be considered above average - imo. Durability with Long is the obvious concern. Would definitely need a plan b if we bring Long back, but if it's incentive laden contract, why not? He's only 29, so I don't think it's that unrealistic to think he could come back and play at a high level at an easier position. Worst case, he gets hurt again. If the contract is done right, that shouldn't hurt the team like his last contract and you still have a guy who used to be the best tackle in the NFL to help the young guys develop.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I don't know anything about his health currently, or when he would be able to come back, or if he has the desire to do so. My question would be; IF he is interested in coming back, is he not a better option at right tackle than Barksdale? He is only 30, so a 1 year prove it deal at a bargain rate might be a better option than backing up the truck for Wis, Barks, or Blalock.

He can't get Bradford hurt again, so there is that too.

I've said this since he was released, I usually get my head bitten off, but, IF he passes the physical and is healthy, then a year playtime incentive contract would be perfect for a 30year old vet whether at RT, Swing T or LG...

BadCompany

Rookie
Can he play center?

I'm serious on that by the way. I mean, they always say that the center has to make the line calls and all that, and he's always been seen as a "smart" football player. He's a veteran who knows the system, and might be able to help transition Foles in that regard. He is a good team guy. Obviously nothing more than a cheap contract and all that, but would it work in general? He only has to be better than Wells, Jones, Barnes, and Rhaney to be an improvement over last year. That would allow the team to draft a guard or tackle with a higher pick, and still keep some continuity along the line, especially if Barksdale is then brought back. You could then draft a center in a more value-friendly round, like the third or something, and have him groomed behind Long.

Robinson - 10th - Long - Saffold - Barksdale

Would that be so bad?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm actually calling it right now. I guarantee they bring him back. He's a good player, knows our system and can be a swing tackle. Let him rest up. It may be against the consensus but I believe he's still one of the best tackles barring injury. He doesn't give up many sacks(stop it, everybody wiffs)and I thought he played the run well. Plus, he's still rated like an 89 in madden. So I say go for it.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I anticipate his retirement soon. He has battled injury the last two years and teams would only sign him on a cheap contract anyway. What is his motive to continue playing? Risk more ACL damage?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If I was looking into my crystal ball and it said we would be picking him up I'd expect it to be after the final roster was turned in or on a cut a resign ,IOW in a way that his whole salary would not be guaranteed.I like the idea of him moving to center Dierdorf did a good job in his last years there.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
If he is able to play, I think he's still better than Barksdale will ever be. Barksdale is not bad, but will never be considered above average - imo. Durability with Long is the obvious concern. Would definitely need a plan b if we bring Long back, but if it's incentive laden contract, why not? He's only 29, so I don't think it's that unrealistic to think he could come back and play at a high level at an easier position. Worst case, he gets hurt again. If the contract is done right, that shouldn't hurt the team like his last contract and you still have a guy who used to be the best tackle in the NFL to help the young guys develop.

It's difficult to argue with this. It would make a lot of sense especially if his replacement is drafted at the end of this month.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Barksdale moves on, I think you have to consider Long again.

But that scenario is really bad.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If Barksdale moves on, I think you have to consider Long again.

But that scenario is really bad.

Or a veteran guard next to a rook, BTW I have cooled on Shearf ,he looks slow to me,I think Andrus Peat is the better athlete and even at 313 looks like another 10 lbs in the weight room wouldn't make him too heavy and comes from a pro style offense.
BUT IMO if Fisher decides to go into this season with Long as a starter I think he will be roundly and justifiably crticized should he go down. Looking to a playoff berth durability across an 18 game season is THE way to look at our roster makeup.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think he will be back in horns - but it's hard to say when he will see the field again.

fearsomefour

Legend
If the Rams let Barksdale walk they are in effect saying (since they have the money to resign him) he is average and easily replaced. The Rams have signed two guys in Reynolds and Barnes that are depth kind of guys. Pretty hard to figure what the Rams are doing in regards to the O line. The only thing I can figure is they have great confidence in Jones and Rhaney to fill one or two of the interior positions. This would be best case of course. But, it would beg the question why Jones sat while Wells and Joseph struggled mightily. Is there a plan?
I am sure there is. Is it a good one to win next year? Who knows? I do not want two rookies starting on the line....although, could they be worse than Joseph and Wells last year?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If he'll come back cheap, I wouldn't be opposed to him competing for the RT job or being a swing OT. But that wouldn't stop me from drafting a guy or alter my draft plans in any way.

So I'd say yes...if he's cheap. Although, I'd prefer Barksdale if he's also cheap solely because he's young and has been durable.

Why in the world does anybody think he would even think about a one-year low-ball "prove it" contract , let alone compete for the Rt job??? Why would he even do anything but laugh at the thought ?? Give me a break...No disrespect to anybody who thinks otherwise, but I can't see that happening in several hundred years...If it does, I'll be the 1st to post a pic of a huge helping of crow bring consumed by moi...

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I've said this since he was released, I usually get my head bitten off, but, IF he passes the physical and is healthy, then a year playtime incentive contract would be perfect for a 30year old vet whether at RT, Swing T or LG...

Couldn't agree more.