Jake Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Why in the world does anybody think he would even think about a one-year low-ball "prove it" contract , let alone compete for the Rt job??? Why would he even do anything but laugh at the thought ?? Give me a break...No disrespect to anybody who thinks otherwise, but I can't see that happening in several hundred years...If it does, I'll be the 1st to post a pic of a huge helping of crow bring consumed by moi...

Britt did it, Fairly is doing it this year, Revis did it, Vince Wilfork did it last year. They do it because nobody is offering them a long term deal. It makes more sense to sign a 1 year deal with incentives than it does to sign a low 2 or 3 year deal. If he played out the year and hit his incentives, not only would he make a lot of money but he would get a longer term deal next year in FA. Nobody is signing Long to a deal worth more than 1 year. The Rams have a lot of vacancies so if healthy he probably would win a spot on the team. Its actually very common for a FA coming off an injury to sign a 1 year deal.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no faith in an OL coming off two straight ACL tears. He wasn't exactly great last season before the injury - not shocking, it takes a while to come back. I'd expect it to take even longer this year. And he's shown over the last 4-5 years that he gets injured a lot anyway.

I would rather they go with somebody they think is likely to play all year, so they can build line dynamics, instead of the line having to be adjusted repeatedly all year because of injuries.

jap

Legend
Jake is one hell of a run blocker, but his decreasing athleticism dictates that he be moved from LT. I have concerns with him playing RT too, since more wide ranging motions at tackle may more easily compromise his health---like it does with Beetlejuice, although he would be an upgrade over Joe. Sliding him inside to guard, particularly LG, would give us a bull elephant pair of guards with Rodger holding down the fort at RG. I don't know about his prospects as a center.

Clearly, we would need a high end rookie(s) to get ready for the transitional process from backup to starter duty since Jake would only be a stop-gap measure. However, for an RB running behind Beetlejuice on the starboard side or the massive combo of Jake & GRob on the port side would be a real treat.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I anticipate his retirement soon. He has battled injury the last two years and teams would only sign him on a cheap contract anyway. What is his motive to continue playing? Risk more ACL damage?
I agree. I thought I had heard that he considered retirement even before signing with us. My bet is he goes off and settles in with his family.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't believe Long was the reason Bradford got hurt, but if I were him I'd retire!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I agree. I thought I had heard that he considered retirement even before signing with us. My bet is he goes off and settles in with his family.

Well I know Conrad Dobler would advise him to , then again how many surgeries did Mark Schlereth have?
If I were in his situation I think I'd let go now swim 50=80 pounds off and start a new career

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why in the world does anybody think he would even think about a one-year low-ball "prove it" contract , let alone compete for the Rt job??? Why would he even do anything but laugh at the thought ?? Give me a break...No disrespect to anybody who thinks otherwise, but I can't see that happening in several hundred years...If it does, I'll be the 1st to post a pic of a huge helping of crow bring consumed by moi...

Then he can go elsewhere. I answered the question that I was asked.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
"Backing up the trucks"...?

It's April 8th...I think it's past that point for free agents.

iced

any contract he signs will most likely be a prove it contract - 3 IR's in what 4 years? two years back to back ACL tears at age 30?

i doubt he signs anything beyond 2 years

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Britt did it, Fairly is doing it this year, Revis did it, Vince Wilfork did it last year. They do it because nobody is offering them a long term deal. It makes more sense to sign a 1 year deal with incentives than it does to sign a low 2 or 3 year deal. If he played out the year and hit his incentives, not only would he make a lot of money but he would get a longer term deal next year in FA. Nobody is signing Long to a deal worth more than 1 year. The Rams have a lot of vacancies so if healthy he probably would win a spot on the team. Its actually very common for a FA coming off an injury to sign a 1 year deal.

My point was simply that I don't see him doing that...He has made plenty of money to comfortably retire...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm actually calling it right now. I guarantee they bring him back. He's a good player, knows our system and can be a swing tackle. Let him rest up. It may be against the consensus but I believe he's still one of the best tackles barring injury. He doesn't give up many sacks(stop it, everybody wiffs)and I thought he played the run well. Plus, he's still rated like an 89 in madden. So I say go for it.
I couldn't have said it better myself, especially the Madden part

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He should just take his beautiful wife back to South Beach and retire. He made $17M here, so he's good to go. Especially if he managed his money wisely while in Miami.
Football might not be his thing - no matter how talented he is. He's had injuries to his knees, shoulder, back, biceps, and triceps.

Quality of life, Jake.
Think about it.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It would be awesome if he were brought back as a backup. It would let him heal and give the Rams depth.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
only at LG...only for like no money...aren't we still paying him something?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Maybe because he feels like he has to play another season or two, the guy himself must be pi$$ed off at being injured, he may want to prove to himself that he has another year left in the tank - speaking as a 40 year old ex rugby player, who similarly to Long, the last couple of seasons I played I played through injury, if someone had given me an opportunity to play one more season I would have jumped at the chance (and rugby was an amateur, unpaid, sport back then!) you know, just to put that baby to bed, to close that chapter of your life, and to close it neatly. Trust me nobody wants to stop playing because an injury stops you.

But, if Jake has decided to not play again, if he thinks it's time to hang up his boots, then good for him, I'll respect him for that.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He should just take his beautiful wife back to South Beach and retire. He made $17M here, so he's good to go. Especially if he managed his money wisely while in Miami.
Football might not be his thing - no matter how talented he is. He's had injuries to his knees, shoulder, back, biceps, and triceps.

Quality of life, Jake.
Think about it.
Yeah... if you're all banged up and incapacitated, you really can't enjoy that hot wife as much... now, chew on that for a while, Jake. ;)