Jake Long came up in the news today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl...plan-stated-on-sportscenter-wednesday-morning

ESPN's Adam Caplan stated on SportsCenter Wednesday morning that the Rams expect LT Jake Long (ACL, MCL surgery) to be ready for training camp. "My understanding is Long will be ready for training camp," Caplan said. [...]

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long

ESPN's Adam Caplan stated on SportsCenter Wednesday morning that the Rams expect LT Jake Long (ACL, MCL surgery) to be ready for training camp.

"My understanding is Long will be ready for training camp," Caplan said. Long underwent knee surgery in January. While he remains a candidate to open camp on the active/PUP list, it might only be precautionary. Long's body has endured enough punishment that it would likely be in St. Louis' best interest to ease him back in slowly. Regardless, the 29-year-old's recovery is on schedule. May 7 - 9:29 AM

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hope they take it slow with him.
You know they will Jake has nothing to prove and he knows what Boudreau wants after a full season here. What is needed is to use his position to find a solid Swing OT. Can you name a current Ram OL who could fill that role?

fearsomefour

Legend
It is amazing how much treatment and recovery has improved over the last several years. I hope this is true. I would be cautious with Long & Saffold.

BadCompany

Rookie
While hearing that Long is progressing well is good a part of me almost wants them to sit him until after the bye week. We have three "easier" games to start the year (relatively speaking of course) so I could live with say Saffold at LT, and some combination of Matthews/Robinson/Jones manning the guard spots for the first three weeks. Then Long comes back for the grinding part of the schedule, fully healthy and rested, and we have a pretty solid offensive line going.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
You know they will Jake has nothing to prove and he knows what Boudreau wants after a full season here. What is needed is to use his position to find a solid Swing OT. Can you name a current Ram OL who could fill that role?
Matthews when we pick him,THAT would be real depth at the position that if we get bit by the bug will derail Sams season and FWIW as he goes so do we.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
t
Matthews when we pick him,THAT would be real depth at the position that if we get bit by the bug will derail Sams season and FWIW as he goes so do we.
That would keep Rodger Saffold staying at home @ OG and off the IR! Works for me:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah why weaken two positions ? Keep Saffold where he can excel

I would hope that Saffold is provided his chance to pick which side on where he plays in 2014. But it will be based on who they select to play the vacant OG post. If they go GR then Saffold should start @ ORG post. If they go JM then Saffold should move back home to the left side and let JM take up the ORG post. All of that is based on Jake Longs rehabbing event! If Long is having issues then JM will be getting all that work on the left side then when Long is up to NFL par then he would slide over a few feet to OLG.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If this is true, Im starting to think the Rams will not draft an OLman in the first round. The more I look at this, the more I see a scenario were we draft Evans or Watkins at the top whether its 2 or a trade down then trading out of 13 for a S or as stated before a LB. As we head into the 2nd round we can address S and OG where the need and value are at its highest.

2nd round options would be

S: Jimmie Ward, Deone Bucannon
OG: Trai Turner, David Yankey, JuWaun James.

Originally I thought Matthews or Robinson could play G for a year then move to RT if Barksdale walks, but it makes more sense with more cap being available to resign Barksdale and address LG later.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If this is true, Im starting to think the Rams will not draft an OLman in the first round.
2nd round options would be....
.....Originally I thought Matthews or Robinson could play G for a year then move to RT if Barksdale walks, but it makes more sense with more cap being available to resign Barksdale and address LG later.

Rams would have a very large amount of cap money in the OL with Jake Long-Joe Barksdale- Rodger Saffold & Scott Wells......It would be wise (IMO) to invest & draft high in a low cost high talented OL than to go purchase another UFA for the OL. Much better to go OL now not try to address it later as the normal Ram rule.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Rams would have a very large amount of cap money in the OL with Jake Long-Joe Barksdale- Rodger Saffold & Scott Wells......It would be wise (IMO) to invest & draft high in a low cost high talented OL than to go purchase another UFA for the OL. Much better to go OL now not try to address it later as the normal Ram rule.

I think I get where you are going with this. But if you go Matthews or Robinson at #2, then you are in Luke Joekel cap numbers. His numbers are 3.8M 2013, 4.8M 2014, 5.7M 2015, 6.7 2016. Not a ton of savings unless you think Barksdale is going to make more money than Saffolds AYS or 6.1M.

So if you replace Wells with Jones and the 2nd round guard I mentioned and pay Barksdale you will end up saving money than drafting a T at #2. I never mentioned fixing this by going out and getting a UFA.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is great news, but aligned with what I expected.

The good news is; Long only needs conditioning, not reps. We can afford to go slow with him on the field.

Long was pretty good last year. Toss out the Dallas game, he was great!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think I get where you are going with this. But if you go Matthews or Robinson at #2, then you are in Luke Joekel cap numbers. His numbers are 3.8M 2013, 4.8M 2014, 5.7M 2015, 6.7 2016. Not a ton of savings unless you think Barksdale is going to make more money than Saffolds AYS or 6.1M. So if you replace Wells with Jones and the 2nd round guard I mentioned and pay Barksdale you will end up saving money than drafting a T at #2. I never mentioned fixing this by going out and getting a UFA.

I not as positive as you are about finding that starting OG with the #44 pick. Another concern would be where you going to find that swing OT needed @ back up @ either OT post? Drafting a OT like Jake Matthews near the top looks like a bargain in terms of cap rate hit ...an instant starter where you get your money worth from the get go. You may solve both of those issues with one pick.

What kind of position will the Rams cap be in be in next season if Barksdale bolts for another team and Jake Long can no longer be effective against the speed rushes @ OLT due to recent accumulative injuries and surgeries? Rams will be paying Jake Long 10.5 million in 2015 to either play ORT not good or worse paying him that kind of $$$ where he is a liability Rams could be in a fine pickle trying to purchase another expensive OLT in UFA'cy. Better use that top pick now on a OT who can play all the positions. That will come in handy since only one Ram OL'er of this starting unit has any good record remaining healthy.