Jake Long came up in the news today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I not as positive as you are about finding that starting OG with the #44 pick. Another concern would be where you going to find that swing OT needed @ back up @ either OT post? Drafting a OT like Jake Matthews near the top looks like a bargain in terms of cap rate hit ...an instant starter where you get your money worth from the get go. You may solve both of those issues with one pick.

What kind of position will the Rams cap be in be in next season if Barksdale bolts for another team and Jake Long can no longer be effective against the speed rushes @ OLT due to recent accumulative injuries and surgeries? Rams will be paying Jake Long 10.5 million in 2015 to either play ORT not good or worse paying him that kind of $$$ where he is a liability Rams could be in a fine pickle trying to purchase another expensive OLT in UFA'cy. Better use that top pick now on a OT who can play all the positions. That will come in handy since only one Ram OL'er of this starting unit has any good record remaining healthy.

I agree with a lot of what you said and why I am on board with Matthews and Robinson early too. Long being able to hold up and Barksdale walking. Personally I would like Matthews, he can play LG now and if needed can move to LT or RT if needed. Im not as high on Robinson because as good as he is ultimately his ceiling is RT. I don't see LT in his future.

My original post was about playing the other side of things and maybe looking at other options in the 1st round. I guess I wont be surprised if they went after Evans, Watkins even Dennard in the top 10 then addressing the line in the 2nd round. The OG's in this draft are pretty deep and I have no doubt a starter cant be found. Like I mentioned, Turner, Yankey and James could all start next year. Also James does give you the swing flexibility to have that swing T you mentioned.

Personally I hope they draft Matthews but Im snotballing other options here if in fact Long is healthy and the staff is confident he will be ready Week 1

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I am excited to hear that J. Long is progressing nicely with his rehab. This does not, however, make me believe we are set on at OT. Long hasn't finished any of his last 3 seasons and injuries along the OL seem to be a curse in STL. And, this still doesn't account for J. Barksdale being an UFA after this season. I would greatly prefer to address the OL now for the long term rather than continuing to patch it year after year, JMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am excited to hear that J. Long is progressing nicely with his rehab. This does not, however, make me believe we are set on at OT. Long hasn't finished any of his last 3 seasons and injuries along the OL seem to be a curse in STL. And, this still doesn't account for J. Barksdale being an UFA after this season. I would greatly prefer to address the OL now for the long term rather than continuing to patch it year after year, JMO.

Yep Jake did have injury issues the last three season (2011-2012-2013) now. Four surgeries since 2011.

Early before the 2011 season surgery on his Right Bicep
End of of 2011 season surgery to shoulder{right torn labium & rotator cup} & Left knee
IR'd end of 2012 season surgery on Left Triceps
IR'd end of 2013 season MCL/ACL surgery in 2014