Jags reportedly want Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just like there are 32 different teams with 32 different opinions, there are going to be thousands of fans with different opinions. Quite frankly, I've questioned Watkins quickness, too. Doesn't mean that he doesn't have any at all, but it simply doesn't looks like the strength some make it out to be, IMO.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Really man? We all tease each other but that was pretty much just trying to elicit a nasty response. IMO of course.
Nah Nah Nah RFIP is a good dude and we get on... have to tease him a bit! that's IMO ofc

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holy Toledo! The draft is 4 weeks away and already the buzz for this draft if off the chart. I think it's going to be nuts what the Rams get for the 2nd pick if they choose to swap places with someone. It's like the some of the other GM's have to try for the #2 pick or they will look like they didn't try hard enough. It's like a gambler that can't walk away from the one armed bandit, they have to pull the trade. The electricity in the air is building and this is going to be interesting week by week as the "make a splash" put in all the chips greed factor sets in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I point to any highlight on youtube or anywhere else. You won't see them because you will choose not to. You'll come up with something like "back-juke" or whatever you want to say and dismiss his play.

Your take is obvious. And at this point so is your credibility.

I respect you but this is a bit much.

I'll choose not to? Okay, then make me. Put your money where your mouth is(figuratively) and post a play. It's sad that I have to be the one to post examples of Watkins making people miss. And you know what was blatantly obvious when watching it? He's much more tightly wound than Abbrederis and much less quick than guys like Cook and Austin.

I try not to be an arrogant jerk. I do try. But I'm about to come off as one...a lot of people have no earthly idea how to evaluate quickness and hip flexibility (or route running for that matter). If you can watch Watkins and tell me that guy is even comparable in hip flexibility to a guy like Abbrederis or quickness to a guy like Cooks...then you, sir, are a good liar.

I can show you Mike Evans juking people. I can show you Mike Evans eluding tacklers. And yet never in a million years would I try to argue that Mike Evans is an elusive player or a WR with the quickness in the same stratosphere as Holt.

Look at the second clip of Watkins that I posted. Watch his feet and his hips when he tries to make a cut after catching the ball. Watch how long it takes him to gear down enough for him to cut and look at how upright he is. That's not an extraordinarily quick guy. I showed Tavon and Cooks making sharper cuts in one step. And it's because they have loose hips and are EXTREMELY quick.

Sorry but I reserve using the words quick, elusive, and loose hips for people that are that. You don't say a guy is "fast" if he has average speed. Watkins's quickness is nothing special. And his hips are more stiff than they are loose. Watkins is extraordinarily fast, he is explosive, he has excellent ball-skills, and soft hands. He runs hard with power. But he's not what I'd call quick...nor is he Torry Holt quick.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
loose hips equals quickness? not saying it doesn't help- but first off I don't agree with the tight hips part- but again, I have seen nothing that tells me he isn't quick. Was Holt a better route runner because of his quickness, or because he had a lot more experience at the same point than Watkins with route running? Again, don't see tight hips and don't see average quickness- I see a guy go from zero to 10 yards EXTREMELY fast- isn't that quickness?

Yes. Loose hips are important when it comes to quickness. They're not the end all be all but they're important. If you don't have loose hips, you need to be extraordinarily fluid with very nimble feet in order to be quick.

Maybe that's why we disagree. No, that's not quickness (to me). That's "burst", "suddenness", "explosiveness"...quickness relates to agility and change of direction ability. At least when I use it, it does.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just like there are 32 different teams with 32 different opinions, there are going to be thousands of fans with different opinions. Quite frankly, I've questioned Watkins quickness, too. Doesn't mean that he doesn't have any at all, but it simply doesn't looks like the strength some make it out to be, IMO.

Exactly. I'm not saying the guy is unable to move or make people miss. I'm saying that if I call a guy quick or elusive...I'm talking about a guy like that is extremely quick or elusive. Just like if I call a guy fast, I'm talking about a guy that has a lot of speed.

I'm not going to call a guy with average speed "fast" and I'm not going call a guy with average change of direction skills/agility "quick".

Watkins is plenty talented but I don't see a guy with special wiggle, I don't see a guy that is effortless in his ability to change directions, and I don't see a guy that has the hips to cut on a dime. When I watch Watkins, I see a guy that's more of an upright, straight-line athlete.

tbux

Rookie
burst and explosiveness some would call quickness. The ability to go from zero to say 10 yards in a hurry- regardless of direction- quickness isn't only lateral. and he does have fast feet. And I don't think he has stiff hips- again not seeing what you are apparently. I didn't see Holt as being quicker than Watkins- there have been MANY great route runners who weren't quick- so don't see the correlation necessarily. Bolding being a great example.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
burst and explosiveness some would call quickness. The ability to go from zero to say 10 yards in a hurry- regardless of direction- quickness isn't only lateral. and he does have fast feet. And I don't think he has stiff hips- again not seeing what you are apparently. I didn't see Holt as being quicker than Watkins- there have been MANY great route runners who weren't quick- so don't see the correlation necessarily. Bolding being a great example.

I wouldn't call Boldin a great route runner. He's just really good at separating using his physicality(pushing off).

I don't. So I guess we're just arguing semantics.

tbux

Rookie
I wouldn't call Boldin a great route runner. He's just really good at separating using his physicality(pushing off).

I don't. So I guess we're just arguing semantics.

fair enough- I think Boldin is a very good route runner and I think burst and explosiveness are elements of quickness- so agree to disagree.