Jadeveon Clowney - Too Good To Pass Up?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I know Jadeveon Clowney has his issues and he would probably be considered a luxury pick for the Rams since they already have two great DE's in Quinn & Long and I keep on telling myself that the Rams would probably be better off trading down (if possible) and selecting a WR (Sammy Watkins) or an OT (Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson) but I keep coming back to the thought the Rams could have one of the best Defenses in the NFL with the Clowney selection. And, with the offenses in the NFC West it might be a good idea to have a defense that can apply pressure to the QB which I am guessing Quinn, Long and Clowney would be able to do on a very consistent basis (and, from what I have read, Clowney is pretty good against the run as well).

I know I am probably in the minority but I am hoping the Rams select Clowney (IF, Available) but I will not be too disappointed if they pick Watkins or trade down if they get an offer too good to refuse!

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
You know, first and foremost I am a Rams fan, and I have my opinions about what they should do to get this team to the point where we are consistently in that little tournament they call the NFL playoffs. But, I am one of those guys that as soon as they walk up to that podium and announce a players name, I am behind that guy 100%. I dont think they should draft Clowney or Watkins, but if either of those names get called I will run out and buy their jersey and applaud the selection. Thats the way I roll.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think we should send up as much smoke as possible indicating we have a crush on him and want to use that pick for him unless we get a very good price for it because I'm certain there are people who believ him to be Lawrence Taylors love child,but for me ,I don't want to draft him, between the luxury we can't afford argument and the potential for bust argument ,I'd rather play this safer, we already have the DPOY which if you watched yesterdays NFC Championship game and consider who he beat out I'd say we are doing well on our front 7 and need to acknowledge our weaknesses or at the least consider what we'd do in this situation if we were building from scratch.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
You know, first and foremost I am a Rams fan, and I have my opinions about what they should do to get this team to the point where we are consistently in that little tournament they call the NFL playoffs. But, I am one of those guys that as soon as they walk up to that podium and announce a players name, I am behind that guy 100%. I dont think they should draft Clowney or Watkins, but if either of those names get called I will run out and buy their jersey and applaud the selection. Thats the way I roll.
Exactly this happened to me when we selected Tavon last year...except I haven't bought the jersey yet.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
I wouldn't mind seeing Clowney in horns. It's been fun watching him play for the gamecocks. Every since I saw this kid in person I have wanted the rams to draft him. Yes it would be a luxury pick but imagine that rotation.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If he is the pick it certainly won't bother me but IMO it's a luxury we can't take right now. Too much uncertainty on the OL and I still think we need one more dynamic WR. And our safety situation is still not what it needs to be. Although this is a pretty decent draft for OL.
My preference is OL and WR or DB/safety in first round.

And Clowney had a great year last year. Not nearly the same this year. For whatever reason..

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I wouldn't mind seeing Clowney in horns. It's been fun watching him play for the gamecocks. Every since I saw this kid in person I have wanted the rams to draft him. Yes it would be a luxury pick but imagine that rotation.
Well while you're imagining that imagine our porous offensive line letting Sam get killed,cuz everything has an opportunity cost and his opportunity cost is pretty high.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Exactly this happened to me when we selected Tavon last year...except I haven't bought the jersey yet.

Jenkins was the guy for me. Couldnt stand him before the draft. Now I am a fan. Other than the fact he needs to let his play do more of the talking.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
Well while you're imagining that imagine our porous offensive line letting Sam get killed,cuz everything has an opportunity cost and his opportunity cost is pretty high.
Well hopefully we are a little better at picking OL now. Seeing how our last two 1st round picks on the offensive line has been complete busts. And seeing Fishers past with not drafting OL early, why would that change now? You don't have to always draft OL high. Go get a gaurd in FA and draft another guy in the 2nd or 3rd.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Well hopefully we are a little better at picking OL now. Seeing how our last two 1st round picks on the offensive line has been complete busts. And seeing Fishers past with not drafting OL early, why would that change now? You don't have to always draft OL high. Go get a gaurd in FA and draft another guy in the 2nd or 3rd.
Granted but the pertinent point was that Clowney is in some ways like buying a Porshe when your living in a trailer,what you can do with what he costs is more of a need so luxury at times is a highly imprudent decision.
We need a stud LB on the same defense a stud safety far more than we need Clowney and they will elevate the play of Chris Long so portfolio theory is IMO the prudent way to proceed so O-line is just an example of all he costs if you indulge the impulse.
We could get studs at ALL those positions or ....him.
To me Clowney is a guy who when he fits a need can put a team over the top,we aren't that team but that team might give a ransom for him,that's what I want.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Lol nice

fearsomefour

Legend
One of the biggest benefits of drafting Clowney is it would save the Rams paying Long about $21M (not sure what the total cap savings would be) over 2015-2016 seasons. There would be no reason to keep all three beyond year one. I would rather see the pick be traded down or go in another direction....but, if the team really believes the hype that this guy is a generational player at his position, luxury or not, it would be tough to pass up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i certainly won't be crying if the rams take clowney. i'd be pretty happy actually because it would mean the rams believe he will make the team better. there are many ways to skin a cat.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
One of the biggest benefits of drafting Clowney is it would save the Rams paying Long about $21M (not sure what the total cap savings would be) over 2015-2016 seasons. There would be no reason to keep all three beyond year one. I would rather see the pick be traded down or go in another direction....but, if the team really believes the hype that this guy is a generational player at his position, luxury or not, it would be tough to pass up.

I don't care if they take Jadeveon Cloweny, Jake Matthews, etc. My only worry is if this is the logic RE Chris Long, then I hope they take someone else. No way to know if Jaeveon will become the team player and leader Chris Long is. No matter how many "once in a generation" type labels get slapped on him.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't care if they take Jadeveon Cloweny, Jake Matthews, etc. My only worry is if this is the logic RE Chris Long, then I hope they take someone else. No way to know if Jaeveon will become the team player and leader Chris Long is. No matter how many "once in a generation" type labels get slapped on him.

Agreed. The draft is always a gamble.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Well if he's what the thread title says we won't have to worry cuz Houston will take him

A55VA6

Legend
I want Watkins.. but having a guy like Clowney to go along with Long, Hayes, Quinn, Brock, I mean.. wow.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If Clowney had a sophomore year as good as his freshman year statistically, if his coach did not have to call him out publicly, if he had not quit on his team I might believe the hype. However after the year he just put in he is a dangerous pick who may or may not produce and be a team player. We don't need a DE but if he is picked I hope someone in the locker room grabs his attention and makes sure he plays like the guy he is being promoted as.