Jadeveon Clowney looking for ‘market-setting money’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Seahawks star Jadeveon Clowney looking for ‘market-setting money’ in free agency

Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jadaveon Clowney is currently a free agent. And after three Pro-Bowl seasons in the last four years, the former No. 1 overall pick is looking for “market-setting money” per Matt Miller of Bleacher Report.

Clowney also made headlines after the Seahawks’ Divisional Round loss to the Green Bay Packers, stating that he wants to join a team that can win him a ring.

There aren’t a ton of teams that are ready to compete for a Super Bowl while also having the cap space to afford the kind of contract that Clowney desires.

Regardless, the 6-foot-5, 255-pound pass rusher has proven to be an impact player since he entered the league.

After five seasons with the Houston Texans, Clowney was traded to Seattle just before the season. In 13 games with the Seahawks, Clowney recorded 31 tackles, seven tackles for a loss, three sacks, four forced fumbles, and one interception.

In exchange for Clowney, the Seahawks sent linebackers Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo as well as a 2020 third-round pick to Houston

While Clowney certainly made an impact on a Seattle team that needed his pass-rushing abilities, the 27-year-old failed to make the Pro Bowl for the first time since 2015.

While exact numbers of Clowney’s contract demands are unknown, you can take a look at the contracts of other premier players at similar positions across the league.

Chicago Bears star Khalil Mack signed a six-year, $141 million dollar ($23.5 million per year) deal with the team in 2018 while two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald’s comtract is worth $135 million over six seasons.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He wants "market setting money" for that?

LOL ummmmmm mkay.

Come on, Les... he was the FIRST OVERALL PICK!

giphy.mp4

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's fine with me if his price skyrockets then Dante Fowler Jr. might be a much better priced consideration that would hopefully add millions to DF's yearly salary new contract thus assist the Rams in securing a 3rd rounder 2021 CDPA.

Jadaveon Clowney go get it!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's fine with me if his price skyrockets then Dante Fowler Jr. might be a much better priced consideration that would hopefully add millions to DF's yearly salary new contract thus assist the Rams in securing a 3rd rounder 2021 CDPA.

Jadaveon Clowney go get it!

If that is true. Why not TAG him for even more value ?

oldnotdead

Legend
I'd rather have Fowler who's market value is about $15-17/yr. Since they paid him $12M last year that's basically a $5M cap increase. I see no problem but the issue is always the guaranteed money. You can many times lower the cap if the guaranteed is big enough. It's always about the guaranteed money.

IMO as an impact player, Fowler is worth it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If it's true that the Bears are shopping Mack, then Clowney won't get that money he wants.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clowney getting record setting money? Bruh... ~ Aaron Freakin Donald

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Love these entitled players these days. First round pick has a decent year and now wants record setting money. I wish these dudes had normal day jobs so they would just shut up and have fun

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Im hoping he somehow convinces Seattle to pay him big. Clowney is a freak athlete that can be very disruptive on the field but is constantly injured and sometimes just disappears in games. Would love him to be the anchor that sinks the Shitbirds cap situation for the next five years.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Love these entitled players these days. First round pick has a decent year and now wants record setting money. I wish these dudes had normal day jobs so they would just shut up and have fun

You know that they gotta have cousins and friends with normal day jobs -- so it’s possible after seeing what they have to go through day in and day out to scratch out a living they want record setting money to ensure neither they or their kids ever have to clock in for a shitty job for the rest of their lives

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You know that they gotta have cousins and friends with normal day jobs -- so it’s possible after seeing what they have to go through day in and day out to scratch out a living they want record setting money to ensure neither they or their kids ever have to clock in for a shitty job for the rest of their lives

I dunno. I guess I'm in the minority that thinks actors and sports stars shouldn't be paid more than let's say... firefighters, military, police, nurses, doctors. Well really anything that is actually important to society

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I dunno. I guess I'm in the minority that thinks actors and sports stars shouldn't be paid more than let's say... firefighters, military, police, nurses, doctors. Well really anything that is actually important to society

You could argue that sports stars and actors are more important to society at large than the careers you mentioned. But I’m with you on the value of those other professions you mentioned, me being the son of two public school teachers. Ultimately the arrogance and conceit by those in those “entertainment” positions is what annoys me the most. And I think you would agree that there are certain sports figures that deserve all they have and same with actors. Guys like Kurt Warner for example. It’s the assholes and arrogant freaks nobody can stand. If there is some asshole arrogant conceited firefighter in Boise Idaho, you’ll never know, only people that have to deal with them are their co-workers. But some jerkoff like Antonio Brown, we have to read about them and deal with them in our fantasy football leagues which makes it all so fucking annoying

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If sports stars didn't get paid so much - then owners would just make even more money. They wouldn't charge lower prices - just make much, much more cash. They charge what the market will bear.

I'd rather the money went to the players.