Jack Del Rio had no idea Jaguars would draft Blaine Gabbert

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I find stories like this mind blowing. How is it possible a General Manager and Head Coach are not joined at the hip on nearly every selection?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...raft-blaine-gabbert-he-wasnt-a-first-rounder/

Jack Del Rio had no idea Jaguars would draft Blaine Gabbert, 'he wasn't a first-rounder'

The 2011 NFL Draft isn't one that will be remembered for all the first-round picks that became franchise quarterbacks. In fact, after Cam Newton, who went first overall, it's a forgettable bunch that includes Jake Locker (No. 8 overall, retired after the 2014 season), Blaine Gabbert (10th overall, 13-35 as a starter) and Christian Ponder (12th overall, has been out of the league since 2017).

Presumably, the Titans and Vikings front office and coaching staffs were all in agreement when those teams drafted Locker and Ponder. The same can't be said for the Jaguars and then-coach Jack Del Rio, who told ESPN690 (via Yahoo.com) recently that he wasn't even in the room when Jacksonville general manager Gene Smith traded up for Gabbert.

"I had no idea we were going to draft Blaine Gabbert," Del Rio said on Tuesday. "No idea. In fact, I left to go get something to eat because our pick wasn't for much longer in the draft. I go and then I'm sitting there filling my plate thinking, 'Oh great, we've got a couple more hours until we pick.' Then I see, 'The Jaguars are on the clock.' I'm like, 'What the blank is going on?' I walk into the draft room, and I could see it on the faces of the people in the room. They knew how uncomfortable that was, how wrong that was."

The Jaguars moved up six spots to take Gabbert, who went 5-22 in three seasons with the team before he was traded to the 49ers ahead of the 2014 season. In San Francisco, Gabbert started 13 games over three seasons and went 4-9. He was in Arizona in 2017 and Tennessee last season and is currently the backup to Jameis Winston in Tampa Bay. Over his career he's completed 56.2 percent of his passes and has 48 touchdowns against 47 interceptions. His career passer rating is 71.2.

Del Rio, meanwhile, was fired 11 games into the 2011 season. The Jaguars were 3-8 at the time and would finish 5-11. Gabbert started 14 games as a rookie and won four times. Injuries limited the quarterback the next season seasons and he was traded to San Francisco that offseason.

"He wasn't a first rounder," Del Rio told ESPN690. "He wasn't a guy to trade and go up to get him ... So that was not part of coaching, that was not part of me. That was my first indication that my time there in J-ville was running short."

Del Rio served as the Broncos defensive coordinator from 2012-2014 and was the Raiders coach from 2015-2017. In Oakland, Del Rio went 25-23, including a 12-4 mark in 2016, helping the team to its first playoff appearance since 2002. Del Rio was fired after the 2017 season and replaced by Jon Gruden.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As bad as Gabbert is/was, he’s still light years ahead of Chris Simms....

tempests

Hall of Fame
If Del Rio had stayed in the room, he would've known it. Not sure who looks worse here. Gene Smith was a terrible GM, but Jacksonville could've drafted JJ Watt or Robert Quinn at that 10 spot. And if Jack hadn't been standing in the buffet line, he could've argued for them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But hell...He's gonna be wicked good as a back up in LA ~ Del Rio

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Blame it on Del Rio!
gettyimages-128804480-e1561549239867.jpg

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That's fucked up... but it still doesn't come close to the dysfunction brewed up by "that woman", shaw, and zigfuck. THAT was FUCKED UP!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If Del Rio had stayed in the room, he would've known it. Not sure who looks worse here. Gene Smith was a terrible GM, but Jacksonville could've drafted JJ Watt or Robert Quinn at that 10 spot. And if Jack hadn't been standing in the buffet line, he could've argued for them.
Yeah, it's important when you're in charge to never eat, sleep, or blink so you can constantly watch everyone and sure they're doing the right thing. It's what Spags would do.

Cut the guy some slack. I highly doubt he snuck out without anyone noticing. And if he said, "hey, we don't pick for a few hours, I'm going to grab something to eat." And the GM didn't give him a heads up about the trade, wanting to trade, or wanting to get Gabbert, then that GM is a jackass.

Psycho_X

Legend
That's freaked up... but it still doesn't come close to the dysfunction brewed up by "that woman", shaw, and zigfuck. THAT was freaked UP!

Careful, they got a throat slasher backing them up.

Agree with this, ole Jack looks a little stupid here by talking about leaving to get food. Really? I mean maybe he just knew he had zero say in anything so it didn’t matter but still. It’s not like they were pick 32 in the draft, they were within six picks. It’s the draft anything can happen especially trades. You’d think he’d have someone go get him food so he could make crucial decisions on spur of the moment. Or you know, fucking eat before the draft. Can’t make it three hours to focus on your job?

Ram65

Legend
Total dysfunction. The GM made the bad move. Not enough context here to know what Del Rio's role was in the draft. Doesn't seem like he had a say but, he did leave the room.

We know McVay isn't going anywhere on draft day. Les has him manning the phone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is it just me that thinks he could be a walker with no need for make up?

All of us think that, but Shaw was extremely smart when it came to the Law and other things, however, not football. In all the years that Shaw was involved with the Rams, he did make three correct decisions:

1. He hired Dick Vermeil and reached out to Vermeil every time the Rams had an opening.
  2. He talked Vermeil into hiring Mike Martz in replacing Jerry Rhome as Offensive Coordinator as Vermeil wanted to stay in house and promote Mike White.
  3. He was instrumental in the Marshall Faulk trade as some in the organization were not sure about Faulk as they thought he was more into himself then the team.
I always give credit, however, Shaw was the person that Convinced Georgia after Carroll Rosenbloom died, to take over the team. The plan that CR and his son Steve Rosenbloom had laid out was that Steve would take over running the club, but he had to leave the team to his wife (Georgia) because of the Inheritance Tax your spouse does not have to pay it. Keep in mind, that is why Chip Rosenbloom sold the Rams, it was because he could not afford the tax.

Anyway Georgia was not to be involved with football operations at all, but Shaw is the person who got in her ear and convinced that she should be more than a figurehead and thus Georgia fired her stepson Steve Rosenbloom and took over operations of the football team, which led to great disdain.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
All of us think that, but Shaw was extremely smart when it came to the Law and other things, however, not football. In all the years that Shaw was involved with the Rams, he did make three correct decisions:

1. He hired Dick Vermeil and reached out to Vermeil every time the Rams had an opening.
  2. He talked Vermeil into hiring Mike Martz in replacing Jerry Rhome as Offensive Coordinator as Vermeil wanted to stay in house and promote Mike White.
  3. He was instrumental in the Marshall Faulk trade as some in the organization were not sure about Faulk as they thought he was more into himself then the team.
I always give credit, however, Shaw was the person that Convinced Georgia after Carroll Rosenbloom died, to take over the team. The plan that CR and his son Steve Rosenbloom had laid out was that Steve would take over running the club, but he had to leave the team to his wife (Georgia) because of the Inheritance Tax your spouse does not have to pay it. Keep in mind, that is why Chip Rosenbloom sold the Rams, it was because he could not afford the tax.

Anyway Georgia was not to be involved with football operations at all, but Shaw is the person who got in her ear and convinced that she should be more than a figurehead and thus Georgia fired her stepson Steve Rosenbloom and took over operations of the football team, which led to great disdain.
Word was that Mora turned us down and wanted roughly $2 million per season. While Shaw and Vermeil had a long standing relationship (apparently outside of football), Mora was their guy. But by giving complete control to Vermeil (which he never really had), they were able to land him for similar money to other contracts rather than pay Mora. Yeah - Shaw wanted DV, and it was a good move to get him and then force him to hire Martz, I don't buy that Shaw had much more of a plan than to over-ride DV rather than fire the long time friend.

As to the Faulk deal.... that deal fell into his lap. Who the hell doesn't trade a 2nd and a 5th for a RB with those kinds of stats? The Colts were looking to dump Faulk (their best offensive player) and his contract demands in an oh so brilliant move for a 3-13 team to get the chance to draft another RB. They simply didn't want to pay Faulk as they thought his best years were already behind him. Funny though that even though they thought this, they refused to trade him within the AFC. If the Rams were in the AFC, nothing Shaw could have done would have landed him.

The Steve Rosenbloom deal was one of the things that upset a great many Rams fans. It was a sure sign to many of us that a coup had taken place and that this organization was about removing anything related to the murder victim known as Carroll Rosenbloom. Shaw had no football background. He was a bean counter and attorney who lived on making deals rather than building a football team. His chief objectives were to make sure Georgia could continue to live her lavish lifestyle with a sailor in every port, get her away from the evil detractors in the LA market calling her on her shit, while bolstering his own ego by screwing people over. Y'know... like he did to the entire city of Anaheim by duping their dumbass politicians.

He was shrewd - I'll give you that. But give him credit for blindly finding a few pieces of cheese? Nah. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Word was that Mora turned us down and wanted roughly $2 million per season. While Shaw and Vermeil had a long standing relationship (apparently outside of football), Mora was their guy. But by giving complete control to Vermeil (which he never really had), they were able to land him for similar money to other contracts rather than pay Mora. Yeah - Shaw wanted DV, and it was a good move to get him and then force him to hire Martz, I don't buy that Shaw had much more of a plan than to over-ride DV rather than fire the long time friend.

As to the Faulk deal.... that deal fell into his lap. Who the hell doesn't trade a 2nd and a 5th for a RB with those kinds of stats? The Colts were looking to dump Faulk (their best offensive player) and his contract demands in an oh so brilliant move for a 3-13 team to get the chance to draft another RB. They simply didn't want to pay Faulk as they thought his best years were already behind him. Funny though that even though they thought this, they refused to trade him within the AFC. If the Rams were in the AFC, nothing Shaw could have done would have landed him.

The Steve Rosenbloom deal was one of the things that upset a great many Rams fans. It was a sure sign to many of us that a coup had taken place and that this organization was about removing anything related to the murder victim known as Carroll Rosenbloom. Shaw had no football background. He was a bean counter and attorney who lived on making deals rather than building a football team. His chief objectives were to make sure Georgia could continue to live her lavish lifestyle with a sailor in every port, get her away from the evil detractors in the LA market calling her on her crap, while bolstering his own ego by screwing people over. Y'know... like he did to the entire city of Anaheim by duping their dumbass politicians.

He was shrewd - I'll give you that. But give him credit for blindly finding a few pieces of cheese? Nah. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

Dickerson claims that HE was the person who really made the Faulk deal happen... he said shaw was luke warm on it and that HE had to convince that idiot to make it happen. I believe ED2105.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

To be fair to the Colts (for some godawful reason) despite missing most of one season, James did gain over 12,000 yards from scrimmage in 7 seasons for the Colts. He was dominating, and just beginning his career. I'm not sure the Colts regret that move.

Note: When I was in grad school his rookie season, he was a major part of my winning the philosophy grad student fantasy football league, basically getting me a month's rent, so I was always fond of James after that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
To be fair to the Colts (for some godawful reason) despite missing most of one season, James did gain over 12,000 yards from scrimmage in 7 seasons for the Colts. He was dominating, and just beginning his career. I'm not sure the Colts regret that move.

Note: When I was in grad school his rookie season, he was a major part of my winning the philosophy grad student fantasy football league, basically getting me a month's rent, so I was always fond of James after that.
Nothing against EJ because he was a very good RB. But they paid him more than the Rams paid Marshall over the span while EJ was with the Colts. They ended up essentially giving up the #4 overall pick for a 2nd and a 5th while paying more at the RB position for a RB that while very good, was not the double threat and match up problem posed by Marshall. And of course, we won a SB with Marshall. The Colts didn't with Edgerrin.