It's Time to Bench Scott Wells

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Normally, I try not to be reactionary to errors and make these sort of threads but this is the second week in a row that he has done this. He is supposed to be a veteran presence. And worst of all, last week, when he snapped it prematurely, he at least snapped it correctly so Davis could cover it. This time, he snapped prematurely and failed on the snap. That's unacceptable.

And, of course, the guy hasn't played well at all this year. If he had been dominating, you could deal with the errors but poor play combined with rookie mistakes has earned Tim Barnes the job imo until Barnes loses it.

It was looking likely we'd get a FG on that drive. Due to Wells's error, not only did we not get a FG, Dallas got a FG before half. That's big. Because they now get the ball back. Huge momentum swing.

Couldn't agree more. If you're not going to be there physically, you better be there mentally, and it's clear that his poor performance is affecting his mental game.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If nothing else... The complete mental lapse yesterday shows just how little Wells is into what's happening on the field. Hell, he jacked one last week too. He's not committed,,, he's just involved. He's checked out.

I'm happy that Fish hung him out to dry in the presser when he said that "That was completely on Scott".

Inexcusable type of unforced error here for a veteran of his stature. Just piss poor,,, and sadly,,, it gives me the impression that he is just here to cash checks.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I like this calm reminder of the current situation. I think the current cap savings is more than that if they cut him (the contract restructure pushes more dead money to next year?), but it's just not feasible to get rid of him at this point. The time to do it was the offseason when it would have saved $4.5mil of cap space and when it was obvious the C position was an eyesore dating back to last season when Barnes failed his audition.

But I think the bottom line is the Rams had a great plan, but just had bad luck. They had not 1 but 2 successors -- Barnes or B.Jones were supposed to be the answer -- when they didn't develop, there just wasn't a lot of talent available to fix it. Only pipe dream was to take a run at Alex Mack by clearing at least another $5mil of cap space on top of the Wells savings, and even then CLE would have matched the offer. Perhaps they could have drafted a C higher than Rhaney but I don't really think that was a huge odds of finding a guy who could step in day 1. Packers say they are pleased with Corey Linsley but look at their struggles, too.

Your point about trusting Bou is on point. The Rams trapped themselves into Wells' contract (much like Cook's) and their attempts to find a fix in Barnes and Jones were bad luck I guess. With limited to no options, all we can do is hope and trust.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Next year they should try to draft a linebacker and center within the first two rounds should they even be close to BPA, but even that doesn't guarantee a fix.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I know this, he's not getting any more "excused absences" from practice anymore if i'm HC. Completely unacceptable mistake in that situation for a veteran Center.

Naw, Fiaher doesnt take goodies or tweak the depth chart for vets.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Actually Barnes & Davis would have a lot of chemistry working together over the last couple of years as back-up QB & C, much more than Wells.

Probably, but not as much as Barnes and Noble. :banana:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wells plays only one OL post. Wells, if benched is nothing more than a one post back up. Boudreau does not keep one post OL'ers as reserves. Boudreau is not stupid here. Boudreau has a solid future plan here, he has three (3) OL'ers who can play center on the current 53 player master roster. In addition next year he also has drafted center Demetrius Rhaney. So Boudreau has Barnes/Person/Jones & Rhaney lined up to compete for the starting center post in 2015.

I would not remove Wells as a starter when we have AD playing QB. AD who just completed his second full game as a NFl starter needs center Wells smarts & experence. A Wells demotion to the bench would be serious blow & signal his end as a Ram.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would trade Wells for a bag of Doritos right now. He can't block or snap the football...
Well that depends. No way if we're talking Cool Ranch, or Spicy Sweet Chil. Maybe if its for one of the discontinued types like

doritos_late_night_tacos_at_midnight-202x300.jpg

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I know this, he's not getting any more "excused absences" from practice anymore if i'm HC. Completely unacceptable mistake in that situation for a veteran Center.
I've said it elsewhere but I question whether Fisher's "veteran country club" is leaving these guys unprepared. As far as I'm concerned preparation (or apparent lack) is an underlying issue with what is wrong as anything. I think the mistakes and penalties are an indication of that and I agree that its time to stop giving extra special treatment to anyone if they cant show up ready on sunday.