It's time for Tavon Austin to live up to the hype/Banks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ram007

Starter
In 2015, if Tavon is the best punt returner in the league he is worth the #8 pick. I have scaled my expectations down.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I understand people talking about the draft and how he should be performing. But my question to you is how many WR's out of that draft have really done much in the league as of right now. The answer is three So i say give Tavon some time.

Drafted Wide Receivers
NAMEPOSSCHOOLROUNDPK(OVR)TEAM
Tavon AustinWRWest Virginia18(8)St. Louis
DeAndre HopkinsWRClemson127(27)Houston
Cordarrelle PattersonWRTennessee129(29)Minnesota
Justin HunterWRTennessee22(34)Tennessee
Robert WoodsWRUSC29(41)Buffalo
Aaron DobsonWRMarshall227(59)New England
Terrance WilliamsWRBaylor312(74)Dallas
Keenan AllenWRCalifornia314(76)San Diego
Marquise GoodwinWRTexas316(78)Buffalo
Markus WheatonWROregon State317(79)Pittsburgh
Stedman BaileyWRWest Virginia330(92)St. Louis
Ace SandersWRSouth Carolina44(101)Jacksonville
Josh BoyceWRTCU45(102)New England
Chris HarperWRKansas State426(123)Seattle
Quinton PattonWRLouisiana Tech431(128)San Francisco
Denard RobinsonWRMichigan52(135)Jacksonville
Kenny StillsWROklahoma511(144)New Orleans
Tavarres KingWRGeorgia528(161)Denver
Corey FullerWRVirginia Tech63(171)Detroit
Ryan SwopeWRTexas A&M66(174)Arizona
Justin BrownWRPenn State618(186)Pittsburgh
Alan BonnerWRJacksonville State627(195)Houston
Cobi HamiltonWRArkansas629(197)Cincinnati
Theo RiddickRBNotre Dame631(199)Detroit
Brice ButlerWRSan Diego State73(209)Oakland
Charles JohnsonWRGrand Valley State710(216)Green Bay
Kevin DorseyWRMaryland718(224)Green Bay
Marquess WilsonWRWashington State730(236)Chicago
Aaron MelletteWRElon732(238)Baltimore
Wide Receivers

Kenny Stills, Terrance Williams, Robert Woods? They've done more than Wheaton has.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't think Tim Brown and Austin compare at all. One had all around physical ability and an ability to run routes. Austin can only run fast and quick. His hands are mediocre at best, he has a microscopic catch radius, mediocre vertical, and goes down very easily. How does that compare to a player like Brown? And all I keep hearing from people is how Austin is a playmaker. IMO playmakers are the ones that make the plays work, not the other way around. If it's going to take a genius OC to get the plays to work for him, he's not a playmaker. The only real valid excuse I've seen is the poor QB play. We'll see how that plays out but there's no way Austin was worth what the Rams gave up to get him.
Well that's your opinion of somebody you've only given 2 years to show up. He doesn't compare to Brown at all, but if it took a future hall of famer SIX years to show up, then maybe giving Austin more than TWO is a bit more passable than you're making it out to be just because you don't like him. Playmakers can make plays, which Austin has done in flashes, but eventually like any other team sport the rest of your team needs to be on point for your actions to fully come into fruition. Like I said in the Cook thread, by that same definition the GSOT was just being lazy assholes who decided not to take Tony Banks to the Super Bowl instead of Warner.

Also nobody said anything about a genius OC, but to deny that Schott was subpar and directly hurt many of our players just so that you can push against one is a little silly. We don't need a genius, but we can at least give him a shot with somebody who actually KNOWS how to use talent can't we? Or is he supposed to make coaches better too?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
And exactly how did the various QB's prevent Tavon from getting open?
Same way that suddenly a team that was only a few members away from the GSOT went from bottom of the league to Super Bowl and greatest offense of all time just by replacing Tony Banks, Holcombe and Kennison with Warner, Faulk and Holt. Almost like this is a team sport and you need good players to help you get the best of your play.

What I find funny is how everybody always rushes to talk about how Hill, Davis and Clemens sucked on ice and barely passed as QBs but then it comes down to (insert offense player I was disappointed with.) and suddenly their play doesn't amount to anything and they should have just worked around it and the rest of the deficiencies that we are all so eager to point out.

I can get being disappointed, but ignoring and suddenly no longer focusing on it to say that a player was really worse than he was isn't going to sway too many people.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let me preface this with saying that I hope that Tavon will finally have his breakout year. The addition of Cigs and Foles plus a decent OL will surely help.

But right now he seems to have slipped to 4th WR according to multiple camp reports.

Bailey has turned a lot of heads in camp and is simply outplaying Tavon. Multiple camp reporters have described Bailey's play as scintillating.

So, if Tavon hopes to reclaim a starting position, he needs to really start impressing the coaches. And sooner would be waaaaay better than later.

Otherwise, he risks falling into the Pead and Givens category of draft "disappointments".

Big Game

Living The Dream
Kenny Stills, Terrance Williams, Robert Woods? They've done more than Wheaton has.

didn't put kenny in there due to injury and Terrance Williams because he can be invisible in some games. But your right about Robert Woods. Wheaton had a decent year last year. But they could all possibly be added.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 2014 Rams had the 2nd highest completion percentage and were 6th in total number of completions...with 368 for the year or 23/game. Teams on average complete about 20-23 passes per game.

Our RBs will pull in about 5-6/gm
Another 5-6/gm for Cook, Kendricks and Harkey.
So you've got about 10-11 catches for Britt, Quick, Bailey, Austin, and whatever #5 WR we put out there.

If anybody expects him to be an 80+/1000+ kinda guy...I think you're dreaming. That's 5-6 catches per game for him alone...when he's been averaging 2 per game...and that was with Quick gone last year. And if he does manage to pull in that many catches, then Britt, Quick and Bailey are sharing 5 balls??

This point is made a lot in defense of Austin's numbers.

It assumes that all possible passes would be split - more or less - equally among players that are capable of catching passes.

But that's not how the #1 WR thing is supposed to work (I think).

The #1 WR guy is supposed to be so good, he gets open more than anyone else... even when the opponent knows it's coming his way.

Austin was advertised to us (by the media and by Snead and Fisher) to be such a player... no one was going to be able to keep up with him. A real playmaker.

If you have such a player, you find ways to get him the ball... and, because he's so good, he gets the lion's share of passes thrown his way (because it works).

Look at true #1 WRs... sure, the other receivers get some catches... but the majority go to that #1.

Austin was "sold" to us as a #1... fact is, he is far from it - at least at this stage.

It really does have to be his year... I think that's fair.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not all his fault...But this infactuation with players 5'9 and smaller...It really needs to cease...
Reggie Wayne wasn't anything to look at either. Tim Brown, about to be in the Hall of Fame, was absolute NOTHING for SIX seasons. You're mad about 3, Tim took six to pay dividends.
I'm not gonna look up Waynes stats...But this Tim Brown wasn't shit talk must stop...Tim was a monster...And had very sticky hands...Nothing...look above at the career of Tim Brown, provided by @Legatron4 (thanks)....his 2nd year he became a threat at wr...I'd bet his ST play was much better...

With all that, 3 seasons for TA....just like Quick (who was RAW, and didn't really have a play book) and really only played football for a couple years...but is a physical mismatch...PHYSICAL MISMATCH...See the difference between Tavon? And Joyner falls into this equation as well

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams think Tavon Austin can have a “breakout year”
Posted by Josh Alper

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/05/rams-think-tavon-austin-can-have-a-breakout-year/

Last year’s rookie class of wide receivers was as good or better than any the league has seen, but the first receiver taken in the 2013 draft hasn’t had the same kind of success.

Tavon Austin has 71 catches for 660 yards through his first two seasons with the Rams, but the team doesn’t think Austin’s been wholly responsible for his low production. Sam Bradford’s torn ACLs have left the Rams with backup quarterbacks for most of Austin’s time, something the team feels has stifled their creativity on offense as a whole.

Nick Foles is in town now and Austin told Don Banks of SI.com that he thinks they’ll “make some plays” this year. Coach Jeff Fisher believes Foles’s height (he’s 6’5″) will help Austin tap into what the team hasn’t been able to access thus far.

“This has nothing to do with Tavon,” Fisher said. “It’s not a reflection on what he’s done. Tavon has done everything he possibly can. He’s in great shape, and he’s highly talented and a passionate teammate. This has been more about the circumstances of our situation. This potentially could be a breakout year for him. Because he’s got the potential to win outside and inside.”

General Manager Les Snead agrees with Fisher and compares Austin to a thoroughbred “ready to break” from the gates. The Rams offense needs that kind of threat and Austin needs to make that break to prove his quiet first two years have been a result of circumstances.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not all his fault...But this infactuation with players 5'9 and smaller...It really needs to cease...
I'm not gonna look up Waynes stats...But this Tim Brown wasn't crap talk must stop...Tim was a monster...And had very sticky hands...Nothing...look above at the career of Tim Brown, provided by @Legatron4 (thanks)....his 2nd year he became a threat at wr...I'd bet his ST play was much better...
He became a real threat his second season?

Where he played only 1 game and amassed 8 yards, spending most of his time injured? Or maybe you mean his second real season where he got 265 yards, 3 tds and 16 receptions?

I don't get where this threat thing is coming from, because he didn't really do anything better than any of our receivers, who are under much scrutiny, til 1993. Are you sure you didn't misread those stats? I get that he has a hot first season and got injured, but that till doesn't change the fact that it took him quite a while to fully pay dividends.

And if his bad situation accounts for something, then why shouldn't Tavon's?

bskrilla

Starter
Look at true #1 WRs... sure, the other receivers get some catches... but the majority go to that #1.

Austin was "sold" to us as a #1... fact is, he is far from it - at least at this stage.

Was he? I don't remember it that way at all. BQuick was advertised much more as a future #1 type receiver. I remember Tavon being sold as a play-maker. A guy who can turn a game on a dime by receiving or running or returning.

Now is that type of player worth a top 10 pick. That's arguable. Has he been that play-maker consistently? No. But he has flashed that potential in numerous games.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Actually, I think that's exactly what a lot of #1 WRs do. Plays break down and they make the play anyway.
Austin was never sold as a number 1 and I believe you'd be hard press to find anything that suggests as such. He's been billed as a playmaker since he's gotten here and he's flashed as much, but he's lost multiple TDs to penalties and generally isn't used in a manner befitting him.

Quick is supposed to be the prototypical number one. Saying things that nobody ever said except you isn't going to bolster your point.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin was never sold as a number 1 and I believe you'd be hard press to find anything that suggests as such. He's been billed as a playmaker since he's gotten here and he's flashed as much, but he's lost multiple TDs to penalties and generally isn't used in a manner befitting him.

Quick is supposed to be the prototypical number one. Saying things that nobody ever said except you isn't going to bolster your point.
Color me confused, then. I apologize.

Maybe I'm getting my ESPN-jargon mixed up. They do make things very vague, ya know. :cool:

So, whats the difference between a "#1 WR" and a "Playmaker"?

When I think of a "playmaker", my first thought is Michael Irvin... I think he even coined that term.

But, was he also a "#1 WR"? Can you be both? If you're one but not the other, how can you tell? This is what happens when you start listening to ESPN. :LOL:

To me, Austin was advertised as a player that was going to make the offense markedly better... he hasn't.

It's time for him to do just that, IMHO.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Color me confused, then. I apologize.

Maybe I'm getting my ESPN-jargon mixed up. They do make things very vague, ya know. :cool:

So, whats the difference between a "#1 WR" and a "Playmaker"?

When I think of a "playmaker", my first thought is Michael Irvin... I think he even coined that term.

But, was he also a "#1 WR"? Can you be both? If you're one but not the other, how can you tell? This is what happens when you start listening to ESPN. :LOL:

To me, Austin was advertised as a player that was going to make the offense markedly better... he hasn't.

It's time for him to do just that, IMHO.
A number one is the end zone threat, the guy who's going to get all his yards in lump sum receiving. A Larry Fitzgerald who will battle for the ball when you throw it up and consistently put up big yards. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins and Randy Moss. Those guys are number 1 receivers. that's why they're called number 1 receivers, because they're usually the best receiver on your depth chart.

A playmaker is a guy like Harvin, who may not get his lump sum in receiving, but makes up for it by amassing yards everywhere. Rushing, punt returns, kick returns, receiving. They do it all and they make up for not always being the best receivers by being better all around athletes. Harvin, Patterson, Austin and Welker. Guys like that are playmakers, don't believe me? Here's Albert Breer putting it in better words than I can.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ng-influx-of-playmakers-in-percy-harvins-mold

And that's true, and I can understand being disappointed and underwhelmed, but to act like he's the only crippling detriment to an offense that was completely underwhelming right down to the man at the helm of it is just a lie. He can do better, but so could the offense as a whole and to deny that and the whole team's general underwhelming ability as a whole had a role in everyone's lackluster play just to burn a cross against another is ridiculous and something we're all better than.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
honestly, its time for the whole team to step up, regardless of draft position.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Let me try this:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowTi00.htm

I don't get where this threat thing is coming from, because he didn't really do anything better than any of our receivers, who are under much scrutiny, til 1993. Are you sure you didn't misread those stats? I get that he has a hot first season and got injured, but that till doesn't change the fact that it took him quite a while to fully pay dividends.
First year, you are correct he did have 43 rec for 700+ yards...must have been injured in year 2 ....maybe that is the only reason he didn't produce consistently...He came out balling...but lets go with your assessment, that it takes 6, SIX years for a true HOF type playmaker....I'll give you that. But good luck seeing him do any Tim Brown like stuff here....

Now is that type of player worth a top 10 pick. That's arguable.
You NEVER, EVER draft slot wrs in the top 2-3 ROUNDS....The game is won in the trenches...First 2-3 rounds should be devoted to these types...Or once in a generational skilled type players (QB, WR,RB,DB,OLB)....of course, my opinion....

Attachments

• Tim Brown_HOFer.pdf
    168.8 KB · Views: 117

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree that TA had some pretty poor QB play that to some degree hampered his production.

I also agree he was over drafted, #8 and a second round pick for anyone that is not a bonafide stud is wasting valuable trade picks.

Thirdly I agree that he won't get that many opportunities in this offense.

All of those things add up to he needs to make the most of his opportunities no matter where they come from on the field.

He needs to use his speed and realize that high stepping BS is not doing anything except letting NFL guys catch up with him. It might have worked in high school and at WV but it is not going to work in the NFL. RUN the flipping ball and get the most out of each play.

DO NOT run side ways or backwards on punt returns. That crap is going to work once every 3 years, knock it off. Pick a line and get what you can.

He's fast but he is not going to break any tackles. Get him a favorable match up outside at least once a game a let him go deep. That does not happen enough for a guy that can out run most of the guys in the league.

What do I expect from him? The same as the rest of these guys. MORE

tbux

Rookie
Nobody has mentioned ( I didn't see at least) the offense we were moving to in 2013 when we took him. For that offense, he was a perfect fit. It was scrapped after four games, and a run heavy, 2 te offense really hurt his value. Throw in back ups for the majority of his time here, and not much chance to flourish. He should do better with Foles, and a better commitment to getting him the ball. I think he will respond. Some are entirely too tough on him.