It's time for Tavon Austin to live up to the hype/Banks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I love what he's done for the PR game alone. He had 6 TD's his rookie year and had 2 TD's called back(Carolina Deep bomb, Dallas PR). He had 7 games to play with Bradford as a rookie. Since then he has had JAG's throwing to him. His speed must be accounted for every play he's on the field. If Foles plays just average I expect Tavon to take another step forward as WR. I'm satisfied if he can get 2 PR TD's and catch 30-40 balls for 500-700 yards with 5 TDs. He consistently gives the team great field position, he just needs to work on his fielding and hands in general. He will put the ball on the ground, he just hasn't lost that many so far. That needs to stop now.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree that TA had some pretty poor QB play that to some degree hampered his production.

I also agree he was over drafted, #8 and a second round pick for anyone that is not a bonafide stud is wasting valuable trade picks.

Thirdly I agree that he won't get that many opportunities in this offense.

All of those things add up to he needs to make the most of his opportunities no matter where they come from on the field.

He needs to use his speed and realize that high stepping BS is not doing anything except letting NFL guys catch up with him. It might have worked in high school and at WV but it is not going to work in the NFL. RUN the flipping ball and get the most out of each play.

DO NOT run side ways or backwards on punt returns. That crap is going to work once every 3 years, knock it off. Pick a line and get what you can.

He's fast but he is not going to break any tackles. Get him a favorable match up outside at least once a game a let him go deep. That does not happen enough for a guy that can out run most of the guys in the league.

What do I expect from him? The same as the rest of these guys. MORE
This is EXACTLY how I feel about Tavon as well! Thanks for saving me a LOT of keystrokes!! :D;):p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@TheDYVKX
Love the quote but I think you need to alter it slightly to "This Wang Can't Be Beat" ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand people talking about the draft and how he should be performing. But my question to you is how many WR's out of that draft have really done much in the league as of right now. The answer is three So i say give Tavon some time.

Drafted Wide Receivers
NAMEPOSSCHOOLROUNDPK(OVR)TEAM
Tavon AustinWRWest Virginia18(8)St. Louis
DeAndre HopkinsWRClemson127(27)Houston
Cordarrelle PattersonWRTennessee129(29)Minnesota
Justin HunterWRTennessee22(34)Tennessee
Robert WoodsWRUSC29(41)Buffalo
Aaron DobsonWRMarshall227(59)New England
Terrance WilliamsWRBaylor312(74)Dallas
Keenan AllenWRCalifornia314(76)San Diego
Marquise GoodwinWRTexas316(78)Buffalo
Markus WheatonWROregon State317(79)Pittsburgh
Stedman BaileyWRWest Virginia330(92)St. Louis
Ace SandersWRSouth Carolina44(101)Jacksonville
Josh BoyceWRTCU45(102)New England
Chris HarperWRKansas State426(123)Seattle
Quinton PattonWRLouisiana Tech431(128)San Francisco
Denard RobinsonWRMichigan52(135)Jacksonville
Kenny StillsWROklahoma511(144)New Orleans
Tavarres KingWRGeorgia528(161)Denver
Corey FullerWRVirginia Tech63(171)Detroit
Ryan SwopeWRTexas A&M66(174)Arizona
Justin BrownWRPenn State618(186)Pittsburgh
Alan BonnerWRJacksonville State627(195)Houston
Cobi HamiltonWRArkansas629(197)Cincinnati
Theo RiddickRBNotre Dame631(199)Detroit
Brice ButlerWRSan Diego State73(209)Oakland
Charles JohnsonWRGrand Valley State710(216)Green Bay
Kevin DorseyWRMaryland718(224)Green Bay
Marquess WilsonWRWashington State730(236)Chicago
Aaron MelletteWRElon732(238)Baltimore
Wide Receivers

To be fair, Terrance Williams and Kenny Stills have both played well.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Then don't say the draft is important in the future because that's how the best teams are built. If you're going to be spending two top picks on a gimmick player, you aren't going to win the SB and winning the SB is ALL I care about at this point.

They also give their players the luxury to develop.

Oh but here? Oh no, it's all "excuses."

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm hoping the scrimmage Friday gives us a better glimpse of TA and how they will use him.
Don't bank on it!!! Fisher simply isn't one to show his cards in preseason as far as the offense goes.

Those closed practices are for a reason!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't bank on it!!! Fisher simply isn't one to show his cards in preseason as far as the offense goes.

Those closed practices are for a reason!

He doesn't show much in the regular season as well.

ram007

Starter
Tavon cannot beat press on outside, not thick built for slot to absorb hits, may be Schotty was using him right on reverses and as occasional WR/RB combo?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
A list of top 10 WRs with less than 700 yards receiving over their first 2 seasons since 1980 and their total career yards:

David Verser, 1981, 454
Desmond Howard, 1982, 1597
David Terrell, 2001, 1602
Charles Rogers, 2003, 440
Mike Williams, 2005, 1526
Darrius Heyward-Bey, 2009, 2413
Tavon Austin

Looking at that list I can't say I'm unsimperfetic to anyone who's disappointed in the returns from Austin so far.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A list of top 10 WRs with less than 700 yards receiving over their first 2 seasons since 1980 and their total career yards:

David Verser, 1981, 454
Desmond Howard, 1982, 1597
David Terrell, 2001, 1602
Charles Rogers, 2003, 440
Mike Williams, 2005, 1526
Darrius Heyward-Bey, 2009, 2413
Tavon Austin

Looking at that list I can't say I'm unsimperfetic to anyone who's disappointed in the returns from Austin so far.

That's not encouraging at all. Let's all hope tavon can break that cycle.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
NFL axiom- Third year is the charm for wide receivers...Let us hope Tavon follows the third year rule...Brian Quick did.

- Put me in the column of those who believe Schotty used Tavon wrong in the passing game...Too many curl patterns, too many passes where Tavon's back faces linebackers and safety's.

For Tavon Austin to work in the passing game-
1. put TA in motion so he can get off the line of scrimmage.
2. Get TA the ball moving upfield or crossing patterns.
3. Use Tavon as a decoy. Send the speedy little guy long and run DB's ragged, so Quick and Britt can toy with out-of-breath coverage.

Tavon Austin scored an abysmal 7 on the Wonderlic intelligence test...Perhaps TA is one of the reasons the Rams are simplifying the playbook. College spread offenses are simple compared to NFL complexity. Even NFL huddles are complex and intimidating. At Auburn they hold up a card on the sideline that says 32 or 69. An NFL huddle sounds like-

"'Flip right double-X jet 36 counter naked wagglet seven X quarter on 3.":eek:

That's not counting times when up to 3 plays are called in the huddle and on top of that the QB can audible at the line of scrimmage.

Maturity- I hope Tavon puts his nose to the proverbial grindstone and realizes the time and effort needed to be a professional.

Me? I'm nervous Tavon won't pan out. Yet, it would make sick to watch Tavon scorch us in a Seahawk uniform... I believe Chip Kelly would love Tavon Austin. The Eagles run the closest thing to a spread offense. Come to think of it...

"Wasn't Sam Bradford's Oklahoma offense similar to Chip Kelly's Offense?" :whistle:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has Tavon Austin's time to break out arrived?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/20052/has-tavon-austins-time-to-break-out-arrived

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- To this point in his still young career, St. Louis Rams receiver Tavon Austin has fallen well short of meeting the expectations that came when the team traded up to No. 8 overall to draft him in 2013.

Depending on who you ask, you'll probably get a wide variety of reasons for Austin's struggles in his first two seasons. But there's no denying that 2015 represents a bit of a crossroads for Austin.

SI.com's Don Banks stopped by Rams Park earlier this week to catch up with Austin and get to the heart of how important this season is for Austin. Rams coach Jeff Fisher certainly has no doubts that Austin is poised for a breakthrough, telling Banks that Austin's "production level should increase."

Fisher pointed to a lack of steady quarterback play and even went so far as to say having a quarterback as tall as Nick Foles (6-foot-5), will help Austin get going. Fisher also essentially absolved Austin of blame for his lackluster first two seasons.

There's some merit to what Fisher says, at least in terms of the inconsistent quarterback play. Others have pointed to a lack of creativity from former coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. But Austin himself has said in the past that he struggled to learn the playbook and adjust to running NFL-caliber routes. Those are things firmly in Austin's control. And Frank Cignetti Jr. is the new offensive coordinator.

After the season, the Rams will have to make a decision on whether to pick up Austin's fifth-year option for 2017 (yes, that decision is made after the third season). No matter how you slice it, this is a big year for Austin and the ability of the Rams offense to offer a much-needed explosive element will depend greatly on if he can finally fulfill the promise he brought with him in 2013.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Wednesday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we examined potential temporary venues for a team moving to Los Angeles in 2016. ... Running back Todd Gurley offered an up close look at a day at practice from his point of view. ... The Rams aren't in a rush to bring Gurley back even though he's participating in individual drills. ... Fisher said receiver Brian Quick is likely to play in preseason games. ... The Rams also aren't in a hurry to make a decision on a starting center. ... Defensive tackle Nick Fairley is focused on doing the most he can in the short term.

Elsewhere:

Here's Wednesday's look around all 32 NFL training camps.

The Insider group provides its look Insider at wide receiver tiers for your draft.

It looks like Seattle safety Earl Thomas might be ready for the Week 1 meeting with the Rams after all.

At 101sports.com, defensive tackle Aaron Donald discussed his expectations for his second season.

At stltoday.com, Jim Thomas leads a walk down memory lane with the best and worst training camp moments in St. Louis Rams history.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
He may have been overdrafted by 10-15 picks but make no mistake he is a weapon that every team would want.The Qb merry go around and a OC that didn't know how to use him has made the pick unpopular. Now let's give Cig a chance to see if he can put TA in a position to do some damage.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Tavon's a playmaker more than a WR; he was drafted to add explosiveness to the team. He has the ability to impact the score of the game not only from the slot, but with his punt return ability, and because he is a player who other teams key on. He is a decoy as well (remember Bailey's pr td against Seattle), that play worked so well because Seattle was so intent on stopping Tavon. This year I look for him to have about 1280 all-purpose yards; 45 - 50 receptions, about 8 -10 td. Having Gurley, a decent ol, a legit qb, and a more competent oc will do wonders for Tavon's game this year. We've seen flashes, but he will be much more consistent this season-----book it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but I have had thoughts, of maybe, Tavon, having trouble with the plays. Supposedly, we have simplified the playbook, and maybe that will help him. I don't know. I think there are a lot valid points in this thread. He needs to be better...period.

If anyone is counting, I am in the playmaker column for Tavon.

Last edited: