It's only taken HC Sean McVay 5 years to have "HIS" team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I disagree with the enormous pressure on McVay angle. He obviously pressures himself no matter how the team is playing. But really what’s going to happen if the Rams don’t win the SuperBowl? Is he going to get fired? The guy is on of the best coaches in the NFL. Coaches of that pedigree don’t just get kicked to the curb after 4 winning seasons three playoff appearances and a SuperBowl.

The media take on this is just to stir up drama.
Said nothing about getting fired or needing to win the Super Bowl. Just that Stafford and the Offense need to be outstanding.

Just think the bloom will be off the rose. Never used that expression before. Don’t think I will again.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
When McVay finally has that down year his job won't be in jeopardy. Stan Kroenke doesn't knee jerk when it comes to coaches. Heck, he let Fisher go almost 5 straight losing seasons before he canned him. It became obvious at the end that Fisher was the problem. Stan had no choice if he wanted to build a winner in LA.

The Rams would have to tank several seasons for him to consider firing McVay. I don't see that happening. I think McVay will be one of those long time coaches who stick with a team for many years.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Has anyone on this thread even suggested the possibility of McVay getting fired after this season?

Tano

Legend
Has anyone on this thread even suggested the possibility of McVay getting fired after this season?
1625586365187.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I love a Ricky Bobby reference but I think you may have miss-interpreted my comment.

I was not suggesting it was a possibility McVay could get fired.
I was saying No One HAS suggested it because no one thinks it is a reasonable possibility.

Yesterday, I posted (previous page) that I thought this was an extremely important season for McVay, and why.
I wrote that his tremendous reputation could take a big hit if Stafford or the offense did not excel. However, I never suggested he could get fired. I believe one poster missed my point and then thought another poster may have done the same.

So, to be clear, NOBOBY here thinks McVay can, should or would get fired if the Rams have a disappointing 2021.

Now, let's phase-out with a little Michael Clarke Duncan version of Donna Summer's Let's Dance the Last Dance.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Said nothing about getting fired or needing to win the Super Bowl. Just that Stafford and the Offense need to be outstanding.

Just think the bloom will be off the rose. Never used that expression before. Don’t think I will again.
I still don’t see the pressure. Ppl still think Pete Carroll is a good coach.

Andy Reid was still considered a good coach after a bunch of subpar seasons in Philly.

Stafford is a proven commodity. It’s not like he traded away a great QB in favor of a gamble.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Andy Reid was still considered a good coach after a bunch of subpar seasons in Philly.

Stafford is a proven commodity. It’s not like he traded away a great QB in favor of a gamble.
OK but I would counter that Carrol has his detractors ... many of whom are on this Forum; and he won a Super Bowl.
I would argue that Carrol was held in much higher regard after destroying the Broncos in the Super Bowl before taking a big hit twelve months later when he called a pass on the Butler interception in the following Super Bowl.

Don't know how you can describe Reid as having 'a bunch of sub-par seasons in Philly.'
14 seasons, 9 playoff teams and only 3 years under five-hundred, including his first and final seasons.
Reid had the "Chuck Knox / Marty Schottenheimer" reputation of being a terrific Regular Season Head Coach who could not win in the Playoffs; and then enjoyed a big-bump after winning the Super Bowl two years ago.

I referred to McVay as "a brilliant, personable and exceptional young head coach"; and added that the "Rams have been the envy of many teams and fans over the past four seasons".

Also suggested that ... "As strong a reputation as McVay currently holds, if the Rams' offense under Stafford is outstanding and the Rams are a dominant team, McVay's status will greatly increase.
However, if the Rams falter, especially on offense, it could well be McVay that takes the greatest fall.

Tano

Legend
OK but I would counter that Carrol has his detractors ... many of whom are on this Forum; and he won a Super Bowl.
I would argue that Carrol was held in much higher regard after destroying the Broncos in the Super Bowl before taking a big hit twelve months later when he called a pass on the Butler interception in the following Super Bowl.

Don't know how you can describe Reid as having 'a bunch of sub-par seasons in Philly.'
14 seasons, 9 playoff teams and only 3 years under five-hundred, including his first and final seasons.
Reid had the "Chuck Knox / Marty Schottenheimer" reputation of being a terrific Regular Season Head Coach who could not win in the Playoffs; and then enjoyed a big-bump after winning the Super Bowl two years ago.

I referred to McVay as "a brilliant, personable and exceptional young head coach"; and added that the "Rams have been the envy of many teams and fans over the past four seasons".

Also suggested that ... "As strong a reputation as McVay currently holds, if the Rams' offense under Stafford is outstanding and the Rams are a dominant team, McVay's status will greatly increase.
However, if the Rams falter, especially on offense, it could well be McVay that takes the greatest fall.
I don't think one season would do that.

I think it would take a few subpar seasons before he would get fired.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

What @Tano said. One season is a blip.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't think one season would do that.

I think it would take a few subpar seasons before he would get fired.

So you're saying you want him to be fired, think he will be fired and then ... set on fire.

Hmmmm ... I don't agree but that's an interesting take.

Tano

Legend
So you're saying you want him to be fired, think he will be fired and then ... set on fire.

Hmmmm ... I don't agree but that's an interesting take.
It would take a few 7-9 seasons to get to that point.

Ram65

Legend
There seem to be a few levels to the changes since McVay took over the Rams.

1. Stafford for Goff. I think last year we could see some of the frustration Mcvay had with Goff. Goff himself made more unforced errors trying to do too much at times. Oh, the turnovers and questionable reads! Stafford may not be McVay's first choice as his QB. He does give McVay a more well-rounded more physically talented QB that can read defenses, make faster/better decisions. I think McVay feels Stafford will execute his offense to an extremely high level. McVay and ROD are all looking forward to seeing the McVay offense in high gear with Stafford at the helm.

2. The roster has been molded to what McVay wanted working with Les Snead. This past off-season demonstrated McVay wanted more speed and versatility on offense. They got it. They haven't waivered from getting high-profile players at skill positions while finding talent throughout all rounds of the draft, free agency, and trades. Humans who are willing to put the work into becoming the best team players they can be. The roster is built with high-character football players. The fact that they didn't waiver from their belief in the current offensive line despite most of the football world so-called experts calling them out for not drafting offensive lineman early and more often.

3. McVay showed how smart he is by getting Wade Phillips to run the defense early in his Rams head coaching career. That greatly helped the transition to be an NFL Head Coach. He kept many coaches that the first year. He lost coaches he brought in and has not been afraid to make changes. He knows what types of coaches he wants and gets them. He can't always keep them with the success they have had.

4. The pressure from McVay is more self-generated than organizational and media-driven. His goal is a championship. Coming up short of that will always drive McVay. Should he win one he will still be under his own expectations of winning championships every year he coaches.

5. From the very beginning this has been McVay's team. Bringing in players such as Whitworth, Woods and Kupp set the tone that first year. He changed the culture from day one. This year is just a continuance of the first year with McVay adding pieces each year with new players, coaches and staff.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
The Leprechaun has found his rainbow to traverse. A Super Bowl win (the proverbial pot of gold) is waiting on the other side.

Tano

Legend
1. Stafford for Goff. I think last year we could see some of the frustration Mcvay had with Goff. Goff himself made more unforced errors trying to do too much at times. Oh, the turnovers and questionable reads! Stafford may not be McVay's first choice as his QB. He does give McVay a more well-rounded more physically talented QB that can read defenses, make faster/better decisions. I think McVay feels Stafford will execute his offense to an extremely high level. McVay and ROD are all looking forward to seeing the McVay offense in high gear with Stafford at the helm.
This

tempests

Hall of Fame

Ticking clock with the Rams' core in their prime. Stafford, Donald, Ramsey, etc. If McVay cannot win a SB with this group, he probably never will.

I don't see him sticking around through a long rebuilding phase either. It'll be one or two losing seasons and that'll be it. He'll go to another team.