It's only taken HC Sean McVay 5 years to have "HIS" team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just saw this pop up over at Ramblin Fan, a good discussion why HC Sean McVay is so upbeat this year.
For the first time in five years, this team is all his, top to bottom, even down to the quarterback. It makes sense. McVay is a bit of a details guy, and now all of the chips on the table are his.

Thoughts?

[ramblinfan.com]

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I my opinion the Stafford/Goff trade is one of the most interesting IN-season stories for 2021, because of it's impact on three high-profile NFL personalities.

It's a really big season for Jared Goff (a #1 overall pick). Although the Lions may have the makings of an excellent O-Line plus a quality young TE with two good RBs, their overall Team-talent is far below the Rams.

Will Goff's struggles of 2019-2020 continue (42-to-29 TD/Interception ratio and less than 7.5 yards per-pass-attempt), with far too many bad decisions when under pressure; plus an unwillingness or inability to stretch a defense and get the ball downfield.

OR, will Goff show more of his form from 2017-2018 (60-to-19 TD/Interception ratio and more than 8 yards per-pass-attempt). Was he negatively impacted by McVay micro-managing him, putting too much pressure on Goff impacting his confident and decision-making?

It's a really big year for Jared Goff but he is still young and the expectations are not that high.

It's a huge season for Matthew Stafford (also a #1 overall pick). A veteran QB with a lot of passing yards and TDs but a losing record, and no post-season success. The Rams gave-up a ton, and took-on major dead-$ to acquire him.

Stafford has never had anything close to the type of overall-team-talent that the 2021 Rams possess, including a running-attack, incredible depth and versatility among the pass-catchers and a potentially top-defense. Stafford has also never had such high performance expectations ... both personal stats and team success. He's expected to put-up huge numbers and win-big.

Stafford is not in L.A. for one season but, at thirty-three, he may only have a limited number of opportunities.
The pressure in on, making this a huge season for Matthew Stafford.

Finally, it's a gargantuan season for Sean McVay. Good word gargantuan. The Rams have been the envy of many teams and fans over the past four seasons, having a brilliant, personable and exceptionally young head coach.

I agree that this is McVay's team; and the QB-trade was the most impactful/critical decision he has made to-date as a head coach. The Team expectations are as high as they can be; and much of that comes directly from the Team.

Were McVay and the Rams' Offense held-back by Goff's limitations and poor decision-making; or was McVay too tough (critical and demanding) on his QB?
Aside: a criticism of Jon Gruden (a mentor of Sean McVay) has been that he's too tough on his QBs.

As strong a reputation as McVay currently holds, if the Rams' offense under Stafford is outstanding and the Rams are a dominant team, McVay's status will greatly increase. However, if the Rams falter, especially on offense, it could well be McVay that takes the greatest fall.

I don't think anyone is under more pressure than Sean McVay. It's Gargantuan!

Last edited:

dang

Legend
McVay being optimistic, excited and focused will give the Rams even more of an edge.

Psycho_X

Legend
this team is all his, top to bottom, even down to the quarterback.

Poor Hekker like... what about me?
netflix panic GIF by NailedIt

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Thanks for posting @den-the-coach

I really enjoyed the article and agreed with many of the writers views and perceptions.

This does feel like it's McVay's first authentic Rams roster and coaching staff since he's been hired.

The Rams have acquired some great players and hired some really good coaches since McVay's rookie inauguration.

Is the Rams coaching staff as a whole as good of a group as any in the past 4 years? Don't know yet.

McVay has been the head honcho long enough to better identify certain types of coaches that resonate with his foresight and goals.

Is the roster as good as 2018? Don't know yet.

He's a seasoned HC now and I believe he's learned a ton about player skill sets in all three phases of the game.

Sitting in the captains chair for 4 years, he's gained a lot of valuable knowledge about how the Defense and Special Teams are coached.

We've all heard him say as much it more than once.

McVay knows a head coach being loyal to one of his top players only goes so far in the NFL.

When a well liked star player has a consistent drop in performance or can't stay healthy, you find a way to move on from them in this business.

He's also learned his Offense needs to constantly evolve and be tweaked.

He's experienced how the better defensive minds with quality players on that side of the ball can pounce on the NFL's top rated offenses.

Coach clearly knows how he wants his 2021 Offense ran heading into his 5th year.

Does McVay appear rejuvenated and happier about his job and the Rams franchise overall?

Looks obvious to me. :)

blob

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Thanks for posting @den-the-coach

I really enjoyed the article and agreed with many of the writers views and perceptions.

This does feel like it's McVay's first authentic Rams roster and coaching staff since he's been hired.

The Rams have acquired some great players and hired some really good coaches since McVay's rookie inauguration.

Is the Rams coaching staff as a whole as good of a group as any in the past 4 years? Don't know yet.

McVay has been the head honcho long enough to better identify certain types of coaches that resonate with his foresight and goals.

Is the roster as good as 2018? Don't know yet.

He's a seasoned HC now and I believe he's learned a ton about player skill sets in all three phases of the game.

Sitting in the captains chair for 4 years, he's gained a lot of valuable knowledge about how the Defense and Special Teams are coached.

We've all heard him say as much it more than once.

McVay knows a head coach being loyal to one of his top players only goes so far in the NFL.

When a well liked star player has a consistent drop in performance or can't stay healthy, you find a way to move on from them in this business.

He's also learned his Offense needs to constantly evolve and be tweaked.

He's experienced how the better defensive minds with quality players on that side of the ball can pounce on the NFL's top rated offenses.

Coach clearly knows how he wants his 2021 Offense ran heading into his 5th year.

Does McVay appear rejuvenated and happier about his job and the Rams franchise overall?

Looks obvious to me. :)

blob
Good stuff Florida.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I thought he made the team his when he got here. Instituted a culture change and took ownership of everyone and everything.

He has more control now but if the 2017-2018 Rams were not "his" team, whose team was it?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I thought the article was stupid. McVay had an opportunity to not give Goff a contract but he did in 2019.

McVau instantly worked very closely with Snead so not sure I get the pov of the article.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I thought he made the team his when he got here. Instituted a culture change and took ownership of everyone and everything.

He has more control now but if the 2017-2018 Rams were not "his" team, whose team was it?
Fisher's team, clearly. Fisher made the super bowl team.

Oh I just threw up in my mouth a little bit writing that.

sloramfan

Starter
hcvay happy? i hope so

just win baby...

just win the games...

then i'll be happy...

go rams

slo

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Aside for Hekker and Donald… the entire roster has been turned over.

It IS McVay’s team. Some pressure comes from that… but this Rams leadership team makes meaningful corrections every off-season.

If they don’t have something right, they’ll change it.

Coaches included. McVay has rebuilt that too.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I miss Dumb & Dumber

View attachment 46258

Not!!
I wonder a little bit.

What would have happened if Quick was the Rams' second round pick in 2021 instead of 2012 ... instead of Atwell; and pretend Jefferson was not drafted last year?

Would that rookie Brian Quick have developed with Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and the newly-signed DeSean Jackson on the roster?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Aside for Hekker and Donald… the entire roster has been turned over.

It IS McVay’s team. Some pressure comes from that… but this Rams leadership team makes meaningful corrections every off-season.

If they don’t have something right, they’ll change it.

Coaches included. McVay has rebuilt that too.

Completely agree with the point in your post but I think Havenstein and Higbee were also here before McVay arrived.

Psycho_X

Legend
I miss Dumb & Dumber

View attachment 46258

Not!!
Ugh, this clip really pisses me off every time I see it. I tried to enjoy watching this hard knocks but the thing just made me realize how this team was never going to go anywhere under Fisher. I should probably watch it again so I can fully appreciate McVay and what he instantly did to fix this team of losers.

Psycho_X

Legend
I wonder a little bit.

What would have happened if Quick was the Rams' second round pick in 2021 instead of 2012 ... instead of Atwell; and pretend Jefferson was not drafted last year?

Would that rookie Brian Quick have developed with Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and the newly-signed DeSean Jackson on the roster?

Idk, Quick fought for scores as well as a limp dick can. Good riddance.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
There's new pressure every year. In 2018 there was pressure to prove 2017 wasn't an aberration. In 2019 there was pressure to prove 2018 wasn't an aberration. Likewise in 2020.

The difference in 2021 is the QB was made the fall guy for 2019 and 2020 and consequently the 2018 SB loss. So yeah, there's pressure on Stafford and McVay.

But not only did the Rams change QBs, they got multiple deep threats and lots of ST help. Plus they're reconfiguring the OL.

I like the theory that has been espoused by some.......the QB change may be better for McVay with respect to communication between HC/QB. Stafford's input being more acceptable to McVay than the input from someone he "made".

I truly expect better things from the Rams in 2021 and it doesn't center on the QB. For me it centers on McVay AND roster improvements from ST, deep threats and OL. The beneficiary will be Stafford....

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When it’s “Your Team“, you better have results. I like McVay, something about him rubs me the wrong way. I feel like he could easily be Tom Cruise on Oprah’s couch.

jumping tom cruise GIF

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I my opinion the Stafford/Goff trade is one of the most interesting IN-season stories for 2021, because of it's impact on three high-profile NFL personalities.

It's a really big season for Jared Goff (a #1 overall pick). Although the Lions may have the makings of an excellent O-Line plus a quality young TE with two good RBs, their overall Team-talent is far below the Rams.

Will Goff's struggles of 2019-2020 continue (42-to-29 TD/Interception ratio and less than 7.5 yards per-pass-attempt), with far too many bad decisions when under pressure; plus an unwillingness or inability to stretch a defense and get the ball downfield.

OR, will Goff show more of his form from 2017-2018 (60-to-19 TD/Interception ratio and more than 8 yards per-pass-attempt). Was he negatively impacted by McVay micro-managing him, putting too much pressure on Goff impacting his confident and decision-making?

It's a really big year for Jared Goff but he is still young and the expectations are not that high.

It's a huge season for Matthew Stafford (also a #1 overall pick). A veteran QB with a lot of passing yards and TDs but a losing record, and no post-season success. The Rams gave-up a ton, and took-on major dead-$ to acquire him.

Stafford has never had anything close to the type of overall-team-talent that the 2021 Rams possess, including a running-attack, incredible depth and versatility among the pass-catchers and a potentially top-defense. Stafford has also never had such high performance expectations ... both personal stats and team success. He's expected to put-up huge numbers and win-big.

Stafford is not in L.A. for one season but, at thirty-three, he may only have a limited number of opportunities.
The pressure in on, making this a huge season for Matthew Stafford.

Finally, it's a gargantuan season for Sean McVay. Good word gargantuan. The Rams have been the envy of many teams and fans over the past four seasons, having a brilliant, personable and exceptionally young head coach.

I agree that this is McVay's team; and the QB-trade was the most impactful/critical decision he has made to-date as a head coach. The Team expectations are as high as they can be; and much of that comes directly from the Team.

Were McVay and the Rams' Offense held-back by Goff's limitations and poor decision-making; or was McVay too tough (critical and demanding) on his QB?
Aside: a criticism of Jon Gruden (a mentor of Sean McVay) has been that he's too tough on his QBs.

As strong a reputation as McVay currently holds, if the Rams' offense under Stafford is outstanding and the Rams are a dominant team, McVay's status will greatly increase. However, if the Rams falter, especially on offense, it could well be McVay that takes the greatest fall.

I don't think anyone is under more pressure than Sean McVay. It's Gargantuan!
I disagree with the enormous pressure on McVay angle. He obviously pressures himself no matter how the team is playing. But really what’s going to happen if the Rams don’t win the SuperBowl? Is he going to get fired? The guy is on of the best coaches in the NFL. Coaches of that pedigree don’t just get kicked to the curb after 4 winning seasons three playoff appearances and a SuperBowl.

The media take on this is just to stir up drama.