It’s always fun to project moves, strategies, and picks as we approach the draft...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Disagree. A lot of value in the 80-120 range.

Not saying you trade down far, but just picking up an early 4th after dropping back 5 or 6 spots is a good deal.

In fact you could then package that 4th and a 6th and move back up into that sweet spot in 80-95 range.

Then you end up with three 3rds and essentially 5 top 100 picks.... And still have one 4th left... Maybe two if you trade down with both 2nds.

IMO we are already squarely in the high value range: picks 52 (2nd), 57 (2nd), 84 (3rd), 104 (3rd rd comp), 126 (4th). As you point out there is always the possibility of an opportunity for a tactical trade down of a few spots, and then perhaps a trade-up-- should a clear opportunity to do both materialize-- but in general we are well positioned now. My point is there is no need for a pre-draft STRATEGY to trade down.

This is a key draft for the Rams. As other posters have pointed out, we are shifting away from the high price free agent signings which we could afford before resigning Goff, and before trading for Ramsay, with the need to resign him and Kupp. We need high value, low cost impact players for the next several years. We have an opportunity to take big steps in this direction in this draft.

Our 5 high value picks seem to be well matched to meet our needs for impact players at a small number of positions. These are well recognized by our astute posters on this board, with minor differences over top priorities. The result is that this should enable us to play the board for BPA available at these positions.

It seems reasonable to anticipate that we may have initial opportunities for talented impact players at WR (because of the depth of the draft) and RB (because the position seems to be undervalued), while o-line and especially center would likely fall toward the bottom of our second day picks. But should an outstanding linebacker or edge rusher be available for our top second round picks we can go that direction, knowing that we still can get at least good value players at the other positions later. This gives us tremendous flexibility for using the picks.

In short, I see this draft as crucial to rebuilding our roster in the new direction discussed above. The Cooks trade for another second was essential to create this possibility. Needless to say, Snead and McVay need to again demonstrate their ability to select really good players. But the opportunity to do so should be there.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
IMO we are already squarely in the high value range: picks 52 (2nd), 57 (2nd), 84 (3rd), 104 (3rd rd comp), 126 (4th). As you point out there is always the possibility of an opportunity for a tactical trade down of a few spots, and then perhaps a trade-up-- should a clear opportunity to do both materialize-- but in general we are well positioned now. My point is there is no need for a pre-draft STRATEGY to trade down.

This is a key draft for the Rams. As other posters have pointed out, we are shifting away from the high price free agent signings which we could afford before resigning Goff, and before trading for Ramsay, with the need to resign him and Kupp. We need high value, low cost impact players for the next several years. We have an opportunity to take big steps in this direction in this draft.

Our 5 high value picks seem to be well matched to meet our needs for impact players at a small number of positions. These are well recognized by our astute posters on this board, with minor differences over top priorities. The result is that this should enable us to play the board for BPA available at these positions.

It seems reasonable to anticipate that we may have initial opportunities for talented impact players at WR (because of the depth of the draft) and RB (because the position seems to be undervalued), while o-line and especially center would likely fall toward the bottom of our second day picks. But should an outstanding linebacker or edge rusher be available for our top second round picks we can go that direction, knowing that we still can get at least good value players at the other positions later. This gives us tremendous flexibility for using the picks.

In short, I see this draft as crucial to rebuilding our roster in the new direction discussed above. The Cooks trade for another second was essential to create this possibility. Needless to say, Snead and McVay need to again demonstrate their ability to select really good players. But the opportunity to do so should be there.
Agree on how crucial... Just saying if there are 5 guys you like at 52, and you have a chance to move back 4 spots and get a pick at say 114, jump on it.

That 114 pick might get you depth and a future starting OG, LB, CB, or whatever.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
what I would like in this draft is 2 ol out of first 4 picks. what I think will happen
pick 52 center
pick 57 rb
pick 84 snoot slobering mlb
pick 104 edge rusher
pick 126 trade down to get more picks because we still need a kicker, wr, qb, cb and maybe a te plus more back up at lb.

dang

Legend
I could see the Rams moving up earlier into 2nd round if a sure fire starter at RB, ILB, OL, Edge fell out of the first round. They could package a 2nd and a third to get up in the R2.35 - R2.40 range if that were to happen.

TexasRam

Legend
To respond to the OP Rams43, I agree on a lot of points but am not quite as optimistic.

Agree - We had to let Cooks and Gurley go. If both were healthy and had good long term outlooks then we keep them, we had to cut bait and it was difficult but the right thing. Takes some backbone and swallowing of pride to do that. Gives me confidence to know we have a functional group of heads making tough decisions.

12 sets- I wonder if Mcvay is looking to try to expand his formations and sets. Defenses adjust once they can narrow down your set and tendencies with the set. Mcvay got predictable even to us fans, for example that dam WR screen every third down.

I think our Oline will be better by a year of experience for Edwards and Evans and everyone back healthy. At a minimum our depth is better and we are starting the year with better players (Evans over Noteboom at LG, Blythe over Allen and Edwards a full year of experience at RG). I do however want a Center in this draft to upgrade Blythe.

Agree- our Run defense up front should be better. If we can get that MLB in the draft that would be great and pay dividens. Looking forward to a different defense under Staley as well.

Not so sure - Our secondary is a little suspect in my book. Rapp is not a cover guy. JJ does well there but we may have some holes in coverage when we face some teams that spread it out or like to throw deep. I see NRC as a big loss as well and have not seen enough from Long to sleep well yet. And Troy Hill has a history of having long spells of getting beat. Borderline Elite? Don't know if I can see that.

I don't like going into a long term rebuild mode and I certainly don't think the Rams are doing that. I think when you have an Aaron Donald in his prime, you try to win now. I would have Zero problem with moving up in this draft to get some game changing talent on board vs a host of JAG's to develop. Once Donald is done then I move back and stack picks to rebuild, but this is not that time.

Don't get me wrong, if the board isn't right and your prospects are taken then moving back makes sense.

If the Rams move UP, say within the 2nd round, for a Top RB, Center or ILB that can impact us in 2020 then I'm all for it.

Ram65

Legend
Maybe someone can explain to me why, exactly, this year, trading down is such a great idea. I really just don't get it.

Snead has traded down and then taken those picks/others to trade back up to get players they covet. Last year IIRC it both Henderson and Gaines they traded picks to move back up to get them. I agree they don't need quantity as much as the quality. Snead could trade up early if a player they value much higher is available.

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
it’s gonna be awesome when the Rams don’t trade down or up, don’t draft a center, grab some unknown running back from Appalachian State in the 5th instead of Swift et al, and go Tight End, WR, CB, CB :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After making the trade for Ramsey and coming up short for post season, I believe at that time, McVay was ready to make some changes on the coaching staff and with those changes came the shift in philosophy. IMO, Wade Phillips had quite a bit to do with adding veterans like Talib & Peters and then pressed for the Rams to get Ramsey because he was better in man coverage, which Wade's defense utilized more of and again the Rams made the deal.

After missing out, I believe they felt letting Wade go and changing to going with younger players and coaching them up and having draft capital to replace those players and pick & choose who is getting extensions. Good contracts like Tyler Higbee and Troy Hill for example...Now with the cap, they are limited players you can pay, but QB & DT are taking up money and I have no problem paying Ramsey, but I sure hope they find enough to keep both Kupp & Woods, but most likely, they will have to decide to keep one.

It's not easy especially for fans, to watch players like Corey Littleton leave and it's especially frustrating when you pass on paying a Rodger Saffold and others replacing him don't get it done. But every team will face this, the 49ers will be facing it soon with their front four and the key IMO is, to draft well, stockpile picks in the 4th & 5th rounds and always have players ready to step in and hopefully decide to pay the right guys while sprinkling in some veterans on a prove it deal, looking to win and enjoy the fact that it never rains in Southern California.
This is a good example of continuing on focusing in on stockpiling selections!
Rams in line for 2 great comp picks in 2021
By not making any big signings in free agency, the Rams are set to get two more mid-round picks next year
By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Apr 13, 2020, 9:00am CDT
The Los Angeles Rams nearly lost Michael Brockers too, but then didn’t. After the Rams former-not-former defensive tackle returned following a failed physical with the Baltimore Ravens, the Rams only had two high-priced free agents out the door. But by not signing any really high-priced outside free agents other than A’Shawn Robinson — whose deal was offset by Greg Zuerlein signing with the Dallas Cowboys — LA should be getting back to mid-round picks in 2021.

Per OvertheCap.com’s 2021 compensatory pick formula, the Rams are in line to get a third round comp pick for Dante Fowler and a fourth rounder for Cory Littleton.

Fowler signed a deal with the Atlanta Falcons that pays him $16 million per season, while Littleton went to the Las Vegas Raiders at $11.75 million per season. That makes them two of the highest-paid free agents of 2020, though Jameis Winston and Jadeveon Clowney have yet to sign anywhere. Players like Cam Newton would not count in the comp pick formula because he was released and this only counts those whose contracts had expired.

The Rams sent their 2021 first and fourth round picks to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the Jalen Ramsey trade, plus their 2021 fifth round pick to the Cleveland Browns for Austin Corbett. They’ve yet to acquire back any picks but if the comps work out this way, they’ll be left with six picks total: One second, two thirds, one fourth, one sixth, and one seventh.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a good example of continuing on focusing in on stockpiling selections!
Rams in line for 2 great comp picks in 2021
By not making any big signings in free agency, the Rams are set to get two more mid-round picks next year
By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Apr 13, 2020, 9:00am CDT
The Los Angeles Rams nearly lost Michael Brockers too, but then didn’t. After the Rams former-not-former defensive tackle returned following a failed physical with the Baltimore Ravens, the Rams only had two high-priced free agents out the door. But by not signing any really high-priced outside free agents other than A’Shawn Robinson — whose deal was offset by Greg Zuerlein signing with the Dallas Cowboys — LA should be getting back to mid-round picks in 2021.

Per OvertheCap.com’s 2021 compensatory pick formula, the Rams are in line to get a third round comp pick for Dante Fowler and a fourth rounder for Cory Littleton.

Fowler signed a deal with the Atlanta Falcons that pays him $16 million per season, while Littleton went to the Las Vegas Raiders at $11.75 million per season. That makes them two of the highest-paid free agents of 2020, though Jameis Winston and Jadeveon Clowney have yet to sign anywhere. Players like Cam Newton would not count in the comp pick formula because he was released and this only counts those whose contracts had expired.

The Rams sent their 2021 first and fourth round picks to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the Jalen Ramsey trade, plus their 2021 fifth round pick to the Cleveland Browns for Austin Corbett. They’ve yet to acquire back any picks but if the comps work out this way, they’ll be left with six picks total: One second, two thirds, one fourth, one sixth, and one seventh.

The Rams clearly value comp picks.

Unless it just “looks that way”, particularly the last few years the Rams seem to factor comp picks heavily in their strategy. As in, appears obvious.

I am sure all teams do. But, you definitely see it here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What are Les Snead’s draft tendencies?

Les Snead has been the general manager of the Rams since 2012, starting in St. Louis, staying with the team as they moved to Los Angeles, and then again as they fired Jeff Fisher and replaced him with Sean McVay. He has drawn praise for his aggressive trades and exception draft picks like Aaron Donald, but criticism as of late for the Rams’ salary cap issues and the cost paid to not have players such as Todd Gurley and Brandin Cooks.

Snead is now preparing for his ninth draft with the team next week, again doing so without a first round pick. It would not be surprising to see Snead try and get aggressive again, especially now that he has two second round picks because of the Cooks trade. Over at NFL.com, they posted an interesting video quickly outlining the draft history of each NFL general manager.

What did they have to say about Snead?

I wouldn’t say it was emphatically in-depth or anything, which is fine as they were hammering in 32 teams in a 20-minute video. Here’s the two takeaways:

The Pro Bowl stuff is fine. I mean, think of the players the Rams have drafted who haven’t made a Pro Bowl: Trumaine Johnson, Michael Brockers, Alec Ogletree, Cooper Kupp, Lamarcus Joyner, Taylor Rapp, Tyler Higbee.

Some really good players. Some young players who haven’t had much of a chance yet to make a Pro Bowl. It’s early yet and the Pro Bowl qualifications go way beyond how good a player is and we know that.

We know that Snead is aggressive and we know that he seems to prefer consolidating his draft resources into upper-tier players over maybe spreading it out and hoping for depth and more scratch tickets. Snead has used the draft to come away with players like Marcus Peters, Jalen Ramsey, Aqib Talib, Dante Fowler, and so forth. Now that the Rams have two second and two third round picks, the idea of them making deals on day two would not be a wild fantasy. We also know he isn’t afraid of not drafting until round three, which happened in 2017, 2018, and almost 2019.