It’s always fun to project moves, strategies, and picks as we approach the draft...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here are a few of my own opinions, fwiw.

Gurley, a formerly elite player, was released because of a combo of reduced production and brutal cap cost, an unsustainable situation. Such a shame, but they had little choice.

Cooks was traded because of the combo of health issues due to concussions (5 of them, and counting) AND a brutal cap cost. Another unsustainable situation. BTW, it was a minor miracle that they got back a 2nd in trade for Cooks.

IMO, both players would still be Rams today but for their respective health issues despite their gigantic contracts. But it is what it is.

Yeah, McVay will be using more 12 sets this year. That seems beyond obvious, don’t you think? Higbee could have a monster year. There will be no shortage of passing weapons for the Rams in ‘20, whether they draft a WR high or not.

I’m cautiously optimistic about our OL this year. I’ve got a lot of trust in Kromer and I see promise in Corbett, Edwards, and Evans entering their 2nd season as Ram starters (Blythe’s 2nd season as starting C). Blythe should be adequate as starting C now that he’s healthy. If Hav can rise up and reclaim his starting position at RT that would be a huge bonus. Everyone probably knows that I like Boom as our future starting LOT once fully healthy. Until then Whit should be more than capable there.

I feel that our DL will be better this year, particularly against the run. I’m Very happy about that ARob addition.

I’m just gonna say it. I consider our secondary as borderline elite at a minimum. I don’t envy any QB that must throw into that coverage while under pressure.

I’ve got a real good feeling about Staley and this Fangio style of D that I think he’s bringing in. It’s gonna be unpredictable and it’s gonna confuse a lot of QB’s. Should be more consistent and should be fun to watch, too.

As to my guesses for this draft? I have no specifics, but I do have some generalities that I think are highly likely.

Snead will be active making trades Duh.

I see him trading down out of at least one 2nd and maybe both, depending on who falls and who remains below among his targets. I make it over 50% that he trades down outta both 2nds, actually. Snead may do a trade up, as well, but if so I think it will be of a later and kinda minor variety.

Our first 4 picks will probably be the following 4 positions but who knows in what order:

RB. Don’t kid yourself, this is a very high priority. Snead has been hinting as much for weeks. Bank it.

WR. Just lost Cooks and this is a terrific draft for WR’s. Only question in my mind is whether it takes place on Day 2. Probably will.

C. Blythe is on a 1 year prove it contract and this is reportedly a bumper crop of quality C’s. A match made in heaven, IOW. Rams have been sniffing around the C position, reportedly.

ILB. Littleton is gone, but there should be a Staley type ILB sitting there on Day 2, one that’s a better run defender, and I think the Rams will pounce. I suspect that the Rams kinda like a couple of guys already on their roster, but it’s always wise to keep the pipeline full. This is probably in ‘bank it’ territory on Day 2.

Edge. I’ve read that this is not a stellar Edge draft where we will be picking. Still, maybe a player that the Rams like will fall to them. If so, this position is a likely Day 2 pick, especially if Snead got his trade down.

Finally, I’ve read some posters that have said that this ‘20 season is a bit of a throwaway season while preparing for ‘21. Nonsense. I see no reason to think that this ‘20 Ram team won’t be extremely competitive and a team that no one wants to see in the playoffs. This will be a team better constructed to compete in the difficult NFC West, too.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I think we should we should trade one of our round 2 picks to the Redskins for their round 4 #142 and round 5 #154 or the Jets for their round 3 #68 and round 5 #158. That gives us a round 5 pick and gives us a pick between #126 and #199. If the teams will go for it anyway.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I think this off season will have that unknown feel like the lockout of 2011. I would go after really smart players because they aren't going to get those off season team reps that you could lean on in a normal year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’ve got a real good feeling about Staley and this Fangio style of D that I think he’s bringing in. It’s gonna be unpredictable and it’s gonna confuse a lot of QB’s. Should be more consistent and should be fun to watch, too.

Me too. I like Wade. But I was/am ready to move past that defense. The inconsistency was maddening and I’m not sure we were evolving like teams need to week to week.

RB. Don’t kid yourself, this is a very high priority. Snead has been hinting as much for weeks. Bank it.

I am not a fan of early RB picks... but I think we might spend a 3rd or better.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we should we should trade one of our round 2 picks to the Redskins for their round 4 #142 and round 5 #154 or the Jets for their round 3 #68 and round 5 #158. That gives us a round 5 pick and gives us a pick between #126 and #199. If the teams will go for it anyway.
We lose a lot of value in both of those moves.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the year of crazy moves, I'd love to see the Rams swing for Trent Williams. Possibly not a popular opinion. Getting a Pro Bowl LT for the next 5-6 years would be wonderful. Imagine he or Whit playing next to each other or anchoring the ends of the line. Crap playing next to one another.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
We lose a lot of value in both of those moves.

Maybe someone can explain to me why, exactly, this year, trading down is such a great idea. I really just don't get it.

We have depth at both lines. We have a talented young secondary. We have a lot of young linebackers. We have three starting quality receivers and 3 tight ends, with the prospect of running a lot of 12 formations.

Where, exactly, does adding another lower round pick really help? who would not be certain to improve on these players or to just letting them develop?

On the other hand, we could really use a starting quality running back (even if Henderson proves to be excellent), a serious prospect at center, and a really outstanding middle line backer and edge rusher. We could really use another WR, with Kupp and Reynolds coming up as free agents, and in this draft could get an outstanding prospect, not a sub. We need a kicker, but that could come from an existing 6th or 7th rounder. Or we could use or trade our 4th for this purpose.

And now we have five picks in rounds 2, 3, and 4 which could really upgrade this small number of key positions. And talented players in several of them who might actually fall to us. Apart from rolling the dice to gain some marginal advantage, or unless we think can outsmart all the other teams (which got us Cooper Kupp but lost us Bobby Wagner) why would we move down?

Given where we were a few months ago, this is a great position. We do not have any first round picks for the next three years. We may not have an opportunity like this draft again for several years. Why trade it away?

Last edited:

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was just posting that those are not very good deals for us. Pick #52 is worth 380 and pick #57 is worth 330.
Pick #142 and 154 are worth a combined 67 points. Picks #68 and 158 are worth 277. In both cases we leave a lot of points on the board. We would not do these deals.
I am not sure why you quoted me.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I was just posting that those are not very good deals for us. Pick #52 is worth 380 and pick #57 is worth 330.
Pick #142 and 154 are worth a combined 67 points. Picks #68 and 158 are worth 277. In both cases we leave a lot of points on the board. We would not do these deals.
I am not sure why you quoted me.

I was agreeing with you, sorry I should have said so directly!! but also making a broader point that I don't think trading down should be our strategy this year.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
@FarNorth Rams currently own their own 2022 1sr rd pick

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Future/Rams.htm

TeamTransactions
Round 1
Rams

Rams
Round 2
Rams

Rams
Round 3
Rams

Rams
Round 4
Rams

Rams
Round 5
Rams

Rams
Round 6
Rams

Rams
Round 7
Dolphins

Dolphins
Rams

Rams

Traded • Aqib Talib • 2020 fifth round pick (?-?) to Dolphins for • 2022 seventh round pick (?-?) on 2019-10-29
Rams

Rams

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Fearless prediction. If Jonathan Taylor or Dandre Swift fall into the second round the Rams package the 52 pick and their first 3rd rounder to grab one of them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would agree it's been fun for me as well. :party::pop::partyhorn:My wife knows after 45 yrs to ensure to plan zero "Honey Do's" for me during Thursday/ Friday/ Saturday & Sunday (day to review) days of the draft.

One element well known is Snead & McVay do trade draft selections in a very big way. Snead likes to roam up & down the draft boards like an old Mississippi River paddle boat gambler back in the 1870/80's. If there is a remake of the western 1994 movie Maverick both Snead & McVay should have a part in it. But they will have been sent down to the low stakes table for now due to lack of chips:palm:.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASMxKyr9ZGA
Since 2017 Rams have traded:
Three first-round picks
Two second-round picks
Third round pick
Two fourth-round picks
Two fifth-round picks.

Rams have traded for WR Sammy Watkins, CB Marcus Peters, Brandin Cooks, Aquib Talib, Dante Fowler & Jalen Ramsey. Only one of which is now playing for the Rams.

Thus far, both GM & HC have concentrated on the short-run. I would like to think that will change quickly, now that the rush to get through that magic SB window period before the gigantic contracts hit has passed.......NOW to a much more long term thought process. I would also have expectation that the new additions of Rams will be selected with a very high emphasis that they would work well & congeal within the current Ram household.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thus far both our GM & HC concentrate on the short-run. I would like to think that will change quickly now that the rush get through that magic SB window period before the gigantic contracts hit has passed.......to a much more long term thought process. I would also have expectation that the new additions of Rams will be selected with a very high emphasis that they would work well & jell within the current Ram household.

IMO, I concur, the plan was the short run adding players because of a QB that was still under his rookie contract and the Rams felt adding proven quantities for draft choices was prudent, however, I believe they realized there are benefits to drafting players based on cap ramifications alone.

It might be a benefit to adding a proven CB like Jalen Ramsey, who is one of if not the best CB in the NFL, but when you make a trade like that, you have to factor in paying him. IMO, with the new coaching staff I believe there has been a shift, to acquire draft capital for the ability of building a roster and then you have to decide to keep the right players.

It's not an easy craft and you see a team like New England hardly pay anybody and just keep a roster together with draft choices and veterans that have been released and are looking to win. Again, I trust this regime and moving forward I expect the Los Angeles Rams to shy away from trading picks and are more likely to trade players for picks and then move around on draft day accordingly.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO, I concur, the plan was the short run adding players because of a QB that was still under his rookie contract and the Rams felt adding proven quantities for draft choices was prudent, however, I believe they realized there are benefits to drafting players based on cap ramifications alone.

It might be a benefit to adding a proven CB like Jalen Ramsey, who is one of if not the best CB in the NFL, but when you make a trade like that, you have to factor in paying him. IMO, with the new coaching staff I believe there has been a shift, to acquire draft capital for the ability of building a roster and then you have to decide to keep the right players.

It's not an easy craft and you see a team like New England hardly pay anybody and just keep a roster together with draft choices and veterans that have been released and are looking to win. Again, I trust this regime and moving forward I expect the Los Angeles Rams to shy away from trading picks and are more likely to trade players for picks and then move around on draft day accordingly.
I would agree with you, we are seeing some evidence of this shift.

At which time period do you suppose the transformation was employed & put in gear?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At which time period do you suppose the transformation was employed & put in gear?

After making the trade for Ramsey and coming up short for post season, I believe at that time, McVay was ready to make some changes on the coaching staff and with those changes came the shift in philosophy. IMO, Wade Phillips had quite a bit to do with adding veterans like Talib & Peters and then pressed for the Rams to get Ramsey because he was better in man coverage, which Wade's defense utilized more of and again the Rams made the deal.

After missing out, I believe they felt letting Wade go and changing to going with younger players and coaching them up and having draft capital to replace those players and pick & choose who is getting extensions. Good contracts like Tyler Higbee and Troy Hill for example...Now with the cap, they are limited players you can pay, but QB & DT are taking up money and I have no problem paying Ramsey, but I sure hope they find enough to keep both Kupp & Woods, but most likely, they will have to decide to keep one.

It's not easy especially for fans, to watch players like Corey Littleton leave and it's especially frustrating when you pass on paying a Rodger Saffold and others replacing him don't get it done. But every team will face this, the 49ers will be facing it soon with their front four and the key IMO is, to draft well, stockpile picks in the 4th & 5th rounds and always have players ready to step in and hopefully decide to pay the right guys while sprinkling in some veterans on a prove it deal, looking to win and enjoy the fact that it never rains in Southern California.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I can see trading down or up in a draft but what I don't see is trading down to get more picks then in the same draft giving away those extra picks to move up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After making the trade for Ramsey and coming up short for post season, I believe at that time, McVay was ready to make some changes on the coaching staff and with those changes came the shift in philosophy. IMO, Wade Phillips had quite a bit to do with adding veterans like Talib & Peters and then pressed for the Rams to get Ramsey because he was better in man coverage, which Wade's defense utilized more of and again the Rams made the deal.

After missing out, I believe they felt letting Wade go and changing to going with younger players and coaching them up and having draft capital to replace those players and pick & choose who is getting extensions. Good contracts like Tyler Higbee and Troy Hill for example...Now with the cap, they are limited players you can pay, but QB & DT are taking up money and I have no problem paying Ramsey, but I sure hope they find enough to keep both Kupp & Woods, but most likely, they will have to decide to keep one.

It's not easy especially for fans, to watch players like Corey Littleton leave and it's especially frustrating when you pass on paying a Rodger Saffold and others replacing him don't get it done. But every team will face this, the 49ers will be facing it soon with their front four and the key IMO is, to draft well, stockpile picks in the 4th & 5th rounds and always have players ready to step in and hopefully decide to pay the right guys while sprinkling in some veterans on a prove it deal, looking to win and enjoy the fact that it never rains in Southern California.
Having two new coordinators (DC Staley / OC O'Connell) this new 2020 season is HUGE!

Not really a continued post after post thread in here either. Most likely due to both being somewhat unknown to average Ram fans but I would imagine that inside the NFL circuits both have been known as fast rising young latent coaching commodities. I believe that Snead & McVay moved fast & had this in mind for a longer period of time than many think.

Rams did manage to sign back five of their FA's & sign 2 experience starters from the Lions & Bears which is very positive for our new young Coordinators. I would bet McVay has already torn up the starting line to get going with his two new buddies on this new chapter for his team. I expect some good modifications from last seasons predictable offense.

Rams did do one "prove it" deal for experience player with OC Blythe & might yet see a few more much later @ LB'er & safety just before TC.

On the stockpile of picks he has been busy working on this element earlier where it appears like he has one future CDPA 3rd or 4th round selection to add to the 2021 stockpile category mostly due to the UFA Fowler but the signing of both Floyd & Robinson cancelling out the Littleton/GZ CDPA's. He could still do some startling futures trading on accumulation (2021 Draft) with several pending 2021 Ram UFA's like Gerald Everett, Josh Reynolds/ John Johnson/ Cooper Kupp & Troy Hill. But the 2021 salary cap will be in much better condition next year even with the Ramsey contract. Like you brought out they can only keep so many of these big pending future contracts.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I was agreeing with you, sorry I should have said so directly!! but also making a broader point that I don't think trading down should be our strategy this year.
Disagree. A lot of value in the 80-120 range.

Not saying you trade down far, but just picking up an early 4th after dropping back 5 or 6 spots is a good deal.

In fact you could then package that 4th and a 6th and move back up into that sweet spot in 80-95 range.

Then you end up with three 3rds and essentially 5 top 100 picks.... And still have one 4th left... Maybe two if you trade down with both 2nds.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams are going to draft Gurleys replacment, Cooks replacement, LIttletons replacement and Zuerleins replacement.
Suspect pick 52 will be the BPA at either WR, RB, Edge, or CB. Skill positions, a player that drops for whatever reason. Happens every year.
Pick 57 to be shopped for a trade down, pick up another 5th at least, maybe a drop into the top of round 3 for a 4 and 6.
Who the Rams draft, have no idea, but see an OL or 2, 2 ILB, CB, RB, WR, Edge, K.
Do not see any drafted starters that need to start day 1, but the ILB will have the best chance to start opening day as that spot is probably the weakest on the roster.